PDA

View Full Version : camber bolts for street class

jguerdat
10-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Well, they shot down my question about allowing $5k sets of shocks while disallowing $25 camber bolts for the new Street class down. I'd don't get it - it's ass-backwards.

JackandSue
10-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Their correct you'd have to go to DSP. Our Abarth does well in DSP, we mostly run against modded Mini Coopers.

DesmosDromos
10-01-2013, 07:25 PM
They're not legal in STF? I knew they weren't in stock class, but missed that in street touring.

Giuseppe
10-01-2013, 07:43 PM
It's not cheating if you don't get caught. Seriously, who is going to inspect you for camber bolts?

jguerdat
10-02-2013, 08:40 AM
They're not legal in STF? I knew they weren't in stock class, but missed that in street touring.

Section 14.8 (Street Touring section 2013 rules):

F. Camber bolts may be installed providing these parts use the original,
unmodified mounting points and meet the restrictions specified in
Section 14.5.B. Caster changes resulting from the use of camber
bolts are permitted.

My post was specifically aimed at the new Street class rules. Camber bolts were originally allowed for that class but then removed. Seems counter to the supposed direction of the class to me.

BTW, Abarths run in STC. Base models run in STF.

jguerdat
10-02-2013, 08:44 AM
It's not cheating if you don't get caught. Seriously, who is going to inspect you for camber bolts?

Well, yes, it IS cheating. However, at the regional level it likely doesn't matter. Personally, I'd just tell others in my class about them and be up front about them. If that were basically the only performance change, I'd fully expect them to let it go. If someone complains, I just change my class. It's a hobby, not real life.

Now, if you go to a Divisional or National race, you'd better keep your mouth shut. There have been all kinds of weenie protests that have been upheld and this isn't that category of protest.

trevc
10-02-2013, 10:17 AM
I think I prefer the NASA classing system.
SCCA seems to be over complicated. But, I don't run Nationally. Maybe it is needed at that level.

Thankfully locally here the guys are more about having some SAFE fun and enjoying things rather than legalities!

jguerdat
10-02-2013, 03:01 PM
And that's the gist of it - it's supposed to be fun. If you want another black hole where you throw your money, the various Prepared and Mod classes will suck your cash right up. Minor mods like better street tires and camber bolts seem to fit the definition a whole lot better.

BigDaddySRT
10-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Well, yes, it IS cheating. However, at the regional level it likely doesn't matter. Personally, I'd just tell others in my class about them and be up front about them. If that were basically the only performance change, I'd fully expect them to let it go. If someone complains, I just change my class. It's a hobby, not real life.

Now, if you go to a Divisional or National race, you'd better keep your mouth shut. There have been all kinds of weenie protests that have been upheld and this isn't that category of protest.

"What the Eyes See, the Mind Perceives."

Don't draw attention to yourself with stand out Bright Red/ Chromed/ Polished/ Blue/ Modifications.

Find an old SCCA racer that has been around since the beginning of time... they're a lot friendlier and crazy than you think.

jguerdat
10-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Find an old SCCA racer that has been around since the beginning of time... they're a lot friendlier and crazy than you think.

You just described me. I first joined SCCA in 1974 when I was 24.

GileraWarren
10-04-2013, 11:19 PM
You just described me. I first joined SCCA in 1974 when I was 24.
Kids......I joined SCCA in 76 at the age of 34 to showroom stock race a LeCar