PDA

View Full Version : Faded stripes

SidneyLou
09-30-2013, 05:58 PM
I purchased Fiat 500 Gucci about 1 1/2 years ago. I absolutely love my Fiat, but I have 1 problem...the red portion of the cool red and green stripe around the outside is fading again. I've had them replaced--some of them have been replaced twice, but now they look pinkish, and not attractive. I need to go get them all replaced again, but I know that they'll be faded again by spring. I live in south-central Texas--and the sun is hot and bright here. My car has to sit outdoors in a parking lot, while I'm at work--that might be a factor.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Would Fiat consider painting on the stripes instead of the decals?

Tweak
09-30-2013, 10:57 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Painting might be the only/best option being in such a hot climate area.

ReconTopher
09-30-2013, 11:02 PM
car cover.

SidneyLou
10-01-2013, 09:22 AM
car cover.

I can't do a car cover. For just $600 per year, I get the "honor" of parking at work...and employer requires my parking permit be hanging from the rear view mirror, and visible to the parking police.

MADNESSLuckyJay
10-01-2013, 12:32 PM
You could have them replaced with die cut vinyl instead of printed vinyl. Printed vinyl fades because it's ink on white, but if you get the vinyl die cut out of vinyl that is already red and green it will have a much longer life

DowneasTTer
10-01-2013, 01:09 PM
This is a real problem for RV's as well. I use 303 protectant and the vinyl strips on my 12 year old Rialta in the Florida sun most of the time still appear as new. I purchase the stuff off Amazon and use on all sorts of stuff from the vinyl strips to the bottoms of my kayaks. Might also help the fiat's stripes.

Good luck

SidneyLou
10-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll ask for them to be replaced with dye cut vinyl, and protect them better. Keeping my fingers crossed that this works! I love those stripes!

mgckhpns
11-08-2013, 04:38 PM
I live in Maryland, not so hot or sunny!, and I have the same issue with mine. It is slated to go into the shop next week for replacement, but it is very annoying!

QUOTE=SidneyLou;631073]I purchased Fiat 500 Gucci about 1 1/2 years ago. I absolutely love my Fiat, but I have 1 problem...the red portion of the cool red and green stripe around the outside is fading again. I've had them replaced--some of them have been replaced twice, but now they look pinkish, and not attractive. I need to go get them all replaced again, but I know that they'll be faded again by spring. I live in south-central Texas--and the sun is hot and bright here. My car has to sit outdoors in a parking lot, while I'm at work--that might be a factor.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Would Fiat consider painting on the stripes instead of the decals?[/QUOTE]

500byGucci
11-12-2013, 12:53 AM
I have the same issue on my car. I had the stripes replaced in April and they are starting to turn pink again, which is odd because I keep it garaged. I saw the car when the stripe was removed and the red actually bled through onto the paint for some reason.