PDA

View Full Version : Autocross of 9/28

abarth&911
09-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Last Saturday AX was perfect, the weather was awesome, the course was awesome, we had a 60sec + course. Nice flowing course with a few places where you can scr.. yourself up if not done right. Also, we did 7 runs…
The Dunlop ZII are awesome, they transform the car. I went from a best so far this year PAX overall of 24 to 10 and on the overall RAW time of 29 to 15. After the morning run I was 11 PAX, after my afternoon run I was 9 but was running in the first group. Lost 1 place after the second group run. Compare to the usual hot shoe it look like I gain about 1.5sec. I got my best time on the last run.
There were less competitors than usual but if I factor that 1.5sec that will have put me somewhere around 18PAX and 22 RAW with the old Pirelli.
I started up with tire pressure of 40 fr. and 30 rr. Like suggested. I keep bleeding off after each run and try a little lower after my last run they were at 38 fr. and 30 rr. I will start with that next time. Also the Dunlop ride is smoother than the Pirelli.

So I will not hesitate at all to recommend the Dunlop ZII.

Here a link to the results.
http://thscc.com/autocross/events/index.php?season=2013

Here a link to an in car video someone did, my best time was faster than that, the 2 Miata faster than me where red.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzZBqupzdww

Robert Nixon
09-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the details of your report, that is really going to push me to get the Dunlops!

Ladies and Gentlemen, if you don't know Abarth&911 he is a great guy to know and is a very experienced autocrosser, so while there is always plenty of hot air and inaccurate things claimed on the internet, I think you can take his opinions to the bank.

Small&Wicked2013
09-30-2013, 04:56 PM
Those tire pressures are interesting. Basically opposite of what I run with the pirellis

Robert Nixon
10-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Just to check, the Dunlop Direzza II fits on the stock Fiat 17 inch wheels?

jguerdat
10-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Yes. No problems whatsoever.

abarth&911
10-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Already answer. The other day when backing up at the office I heard a little rub on the inner plastic fender liner at full lock. Other than that no problem for fit. It might be also dependant of the liner installation.

jguerdat
10-06-2013, 07:22 AM
Already answer. The other day when backing up at the office I heard a little rub on the inner plastic fender liner at full lock. Other than that no problem for fit. It might be also dependant of the liner installation.

Yeah, I could see tolerances stacking against you. I'll be changing over to winter tires in the next month or so and will look at my liners to verify no rubbing. There's been nothing obvious but it's possible that it hits during severe events when autocrossing. Nothing heard on the street.