PDA

View Full Version : Question about rear springs....

rnddude
09-30-2013, 10:50 AM
OK, just got a sport, as did a fellow co-worker. We are both wanting to drop the rear ride height to reduce the excessive amount of free space above the rear wheels and level out the car. I thought I had read that the 500e is using the rear suspension from the Abarth, which likely has a different spring than the standard gasser 500's. Does anyone know if the 500e rear springs are indeed the same as the Abarth, and how they differ in spring rate and free height from the non-Abarth springs? The reason for my question is whether or not replacing the 500e rear springs with the gas car rear springs might get the back down. I know the aftermarket already has lowering spring kits, but I don't necessarily want to go to a shorter, stiffer spring and compromise the ride quality. Anyone have any links to the fiat spring part numbers?

FTY
09-30-2013, 01:41 PM
You may want to consider a spring set for the 500, the weight is different for the 500e.

Ryephile
09-30-2013, 04:48 PM
Ideally you'll want 500e-specific lowering springs, as the car has notably different overall weight, and weight distribution, so the spring rates are going to be noticeably different from any of the gas cars. That said, going with a stiff-for-the-gas-500's coilover set like the BC's might not be a bad solution. That's just off the hip though.

Putting stock Abarth springs on the 500e might work, but my guess is the rear end would end up sagging quite a bit, not to mention it would understeer as much as a Reliant Robin loves tipping over.

rnddude
09-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Yes, the big question is whether there are different part number springs for the Gas car, the Abarth, and the 500e, and if so, what are the free height and spring rate for each. That would go a long way in answering if a Fiat parts pin spring swap would work, or if the aftermarket is the only option. Remember, I don't want stiffer, just lower enough to level out the car front-to-rear.

Ryephile
10-01-2013, 12:04 AM
You're likely going to have to get in there and determine the stroke range of the stock dampers. If they're similar to the gas 500 with higher-rate springs at a high ride height, you can probably cut them to put the ride height closer to the middle of the stroke and also level the stance. That's a big IF. The gas 500's springs are simple cylinder shaped springs to cutting is an option, albeit a rather taboo option and easy to mess up if you're not versed in it.

Fiat500USA
10-01-2013, 12:42 AM
The battery weighs a substantial 600lbs, which sounds like it would crush down any of the gas cars springs. You may wind up having to try cutting the spring. You can probably find a set of used gas springs to try first. If you are in the area, maybe you can work out a deal with a coilover/suspension company to experiment with suitable springs for the 500e.

One of the Fiat engineers autocrosses his 500e and he does well in it. He figures with a set of coilovers the car would be monster!

Tweak
10-01-2013, 07:49 AM
The battery weighs a substantial 600lbs, which sounds like it would crush down any of the gas cars springs. You may wind up having to try cutting the spring. You can probably find a set of used gas springs to try first. If you are in the area, maybe you can work out a deal with a coilover/suspension company to experiment with suitable springs for the 500e.

One of the Fiat engineers autocrosses his 500e and he does well in it. He figures with a set of coilovers the car would be monster!

Bet that gets a lot of attention, especially if he is doing well and beating many out there. :D

rnddude
10-01-2013, 10:15 AM
I suppose a set of rear coil-overs with adjustable ride height would be the best bet in getting the car positioned exactly as I want. I still would need to get the coil-over spring rate suitable for the e's weight distribution. Perhaps I should just talk to some of the vendors directly about recommendations.

rnddude
10-01-2013, 01:31 PM
I just got off the phone with a very helpful Fiat dealer parts guy who did some research for me on the springs.

The stock springs on the 500e are SDB 68109930AA
The stock springs on the 500 Abarth are SDX 68184445AA

Physically, the Abarth springs can be put on the 500e rear suspension, but they are a considerably lower spring rate, and there is a good chance they would bottom out due to the extra rear weight of the batteries. No clue as to where the ride height would be on that setup either. The only way to find out would be for someone to do the switch and see the results. I think I may see if someone here who has an Abarth with a coilover conversion might sell me the rear springs cheap and give it a try.