PDA

View Full Version : Abarth Oil Change DIY

Robert Nixon
09-29-2013, 10:24 PM
Yesterday right before my last autocross run of the day the oil service light came on, around 17,700 miles, so today I had time to take care of it at home. I've seen some other threads on the forum on how to change the oil yourself, and finally did it at home tonight. Overall very straight forward if you have changed oil before or even better checked out information and videos on line that apply to the Abarth! Plus as a bonus I got to buy 1 new tool, a 27mm socket to remove the oil filter canister.

While the pump gizmos to get the oil out are nice and handy, I did this the old fashioned way and crawled down on the floor, had to remove the underneath cover. The one piece of bracing that is RIGHT IN THE WAY of where the oil will come shooting out was really exciting, but I managed to not mess it up by very slowly unscrewing the oil pan plug, and then when the oil started flowing I just held the plug to prevent the oil from going all over the bracing. Just happened to have some good tunes cranking on the iPod in the garage, so for my car it took an entire Bruce Springsteen song for the oil to slow to a drip! On a cool evening with the garage doors open, considering how hot it gets here in SC, that was as good a time as a fellow can have by himself in the garage without using firearms!

Having to move some of the air hoses just to get to the oil canister wasn't too bad, and once I had enough extension on my socket and a swivel for the 27mm it didn't take too long to get the canister out.

So with a gallon of synthetic Rotella, one 27mm socket, and one Wix oil fiter, the total price was 42 bucks and change, plus the added fun and adventure of working on my own car. Minus the socket next time will be about 8 dollars less for oil and filter, so all in all about half the price of a dealer I visited for the first oil change. Will do the tire rotation later this week myself, that's another thing that isn't too hard and costs nothing but a little time in the garage.

trevc
09-30-2013, 09:27 AM
It is very satisfying to be able to do jobs like this yourself. Glad you had a good time and it went smooth!
The best thing is you know it was done right!

Robert Nixon
09-30-2013, 10:40 AM
That's kind of what I was thinking, especially when I noticed how tight the oil plug was on and how easy it would be to mess up the filter canister.

Realized that my little ramps won't work on the Abarth with that low front piece, so maybe I can stick a 2x6 in there and drive up on the ramps next time. Once I figured out where to put the jack that helped a lot! Got to be carefull not to put anything on those side skirts and fiberglass.

banzaitoyota
09-30-2013, 08:51 PM
I changed my oil yesterday also, I took the "easy" route and used a mityvac evacuator. The vacuum pump seals had failed so I said no problem and hooked up the 3 HP Hitachi vacuum pump. How did that work you ask? Not too good. I imploded the mityvac reservoir.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn288/banzaitoyota/2013-09-29_14-04-14_4_zps35cf280c.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/banzaitoyota/media/2013-09-29_14-04-14_4_zps35cf280c.jpg.html)

Robert Nixon
09-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Ouch!

msjulie33
09-30-2013, 10:56 PM
Ouch!

Agreed, but kinda impressive. Mine looks like this http://www.amazon.com/America-5060-Topsider-Multi-Purpose-Removing/dp/B001445IZ8/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1380596148&sr=1-6&keywords=oil+evacuator

I wonder if that pump would collapse that...