PDA

View Full Version : Available colors are not selling

DMike
09-29-2013, 06:05 PM
We own a 500L trekking in white. We really like it a lot. But our studio is getting colors, that in my opinion , will not sell well. I want to see Fiat succeed as well as my closest studio in Mentor Ohio. But I think people want fresh, young, sexy, fun, Italian colors. What does Fiat send? Black, dark green, grey. Our studio's 500Ls are sitting there for a long time. The reds and the whites seem to be selling, but it really worries that the colors being shipped from Serbia just aren't right for this car. Does anyone else have similar concerns?

Abarth619
09-29-2013, 06:35 PM
I like the dark green Trekking with brown interior. It works really well with the car. I think the biggest mistake Fiat made was not making this AWD right away. It looks like it's supposed to have AWD and I was disappointed to find out it wasn't. My wife is in love with it, but won't buy one until it has AWD available.

UomoNuovo
09-29-2013, 06:41 PM
I hear what you are saying... I have the black body / black roof Trekking and I think it looks pretty sleek... I just overheard someone today in a parking lot saying, "What a cute car." - - - cute, sleek, whatever - but at least it got a "nod" ... brighter / flashier / "younger" / sexy colors could help but I do not think this car is going to sell to too many people below 28 years of age... I hope it does, and I hope FIAT USA does gang-buster business and keeps supporting us current owners for years and years to come... One thing that was troubling during the research (pre-buying) phase - interior color choices were limiting and sort of bland... I wouldn't have put black/dark grey/brown together for a Trekking interior, but that is all that was available... customization? Not quite... but at least it has a touch of difference visually... I've not been in touch with my studio to know what's going on with their color stock and sales numbers... maybe the second year will bring other choices when the market is more clear to FIAT...

DMike
09-29-2013, 06:55 PM
I like the dark green Trekking with brown interior. It works really well with the car. I think the biggest mistake Fiat made was not making this AWD right away. It looks like it's supposed to AWD and I was disappointed to find out it wasn't. My wife is in love with it, but won't buy one until it has AWD available.

It appears to me that the small Jeep now being developed will be the 4 wheel drive version.

Andree
09-29-2013, 07:30 PM
I know we talked about color in the long Interior thread, you were there: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11453-Interior-of-the-500L/page7

I wonder if you'd caught this thread, and checked the pics at the article: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?12000-Fiat-500X-Jeep-Junior-Spied!&p=630560#post630560

That's the UK Vocal Green on the back end, doors, hood, and it sure looks a lot like Verde Chiaro to me. I hadn't been able to find actual color photos of their Vocal Green.

I think the white and black are good looking on the car. The brights, yellow and red, those are great. The lights, tan and blue, my favorites. I'd add the light green to the lights mix. And the brighter blue to the brights mix. The blue is the Volare Blue on the UK site for the regular 500: http://www.fiat.co.uk/uk/

There's a pink and purple, both metallic, but I don't think those would have a huge market in the US on the 500L. Someone would buy them, but having a lot full of them wouldn't be a good thing.

Head over to the Italian site, and check the colors for the Panda 4x4. http://www.fiat.it/it/modelli

Those are colors that would go well on the 500L. There's a chocolate brown. Orange. Turquoise.

There's a cool orange/gray interior you can get with the orange exterior. You can get green and ivory interior with their green (Verde Toscana). Those are seriously fun colors. LOL. "Seriously fun".

But even in Italy, the seriously fun colors are not offered on the larger 500L. If they'd bring the Panda over, that would do the trick for many, in terms of a little more space (back doors) and fun colors.

Sometimes the smaller cars can take huge dollops of bright or wild colors. That would be too much on larger vehicles. So you can do pink and purple and orange on the smaller vehicles.

If I had to pick one color to add to the current 500L, it would be the turquoise.

Abarth619
09-29-2013, 08:15 PM
It appears to me that the small Jeep now being developed will be the 4 wheel drive version. Yes I've read that as well. However, not everyone is going to like the way the new Jeep looks. Since the 500L will be on the same small wide platform as the new Jeep why wouldn't they?

I guarantee the 500L would sell better in AWD especially in snowy areas. The Countryman comes available in AWD, the 500L's main competition. Almost no one here in the northeast or any area that gets decent snow buys FWD only crossovers. Fiat is really cutting themselves out of the CUV market where snow is a huge buying factor when buying a CUV.

Fiat500USA
09-29-2013, 09:39 PM
The 500X is coming and is the sister to the new Jeep. All US 500L models use the advanced traction+ system which is very good, however there is always the possibility that the 500L will get AWD. A dealer told me they can't pick the colors being sent to them.

Andree
09-29-2013, 11:50 PM
We own a 500L trekking in white. We really like it a lot. But our studio is getting colors, that in my opinion , will not sell well. I want to see Fiat succeed as well as my closest studio in Mentor Ohio. But I think people want fresh, young, sexy, fun, Italian colors. What does Fiat send? Black, dark green, grey. Our studio's 500Ls are sitting there for a long time. The reds and the whites seem to be selling, but it really worries that the colors being shipped from Serbia just aren't right for this car. Does anyone else have similar concerns?

By the way, don't just tell them what you don't want, or don't think will sell. Tell them what you do want. Look at the colors on their other models and colors in other country Fiat sites. Providing the examples gives Fiat something to go on.

What color(s) would you have bought in a heartbeat? And then everyone else can comment on those colors.

DMike
09-30-2013, 03:23 AM
By the way, don't just tell them what you don't want, or don't think will sell. Tell them what you do want. Look at the colors on their other models and colors in other country Fiat sites. Providing the examples gives Fiat something to go on.

What color(s) would you have bought in a heartbeat? And then everyone else can comment on those colors.

Ok, I would have prefered my 500L in Verde Chiaro, Bianco Perla, or Rossa Perla. We would have purchased much earlier had there been the Rossa Perla (dark red) with a white top.

Jalpa_Mike
09-30-2013, 08:12 AM
The "Trekking" in Azzurro!

Andree
09-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Ok, I would have prefered my 500L in Verde Chiaro, Bianco Perla, or Rossa Perla. We would have purchased much earlier had there been the Rossa Perla (dark red) with a white top.

There is a dark pearl red, but not on the Trekking. They do have Opera Red (dark red) for the Trekking in the UK.

It comes only with the black/white interior, which may be why it's not offered here in the US. We didn't get the black/white interior.

And THAT, I think, was the big mistake. Not getting the black/white interior. Not so much the exterior combos, but the interior combos with the glossy white or black dash on the Trekking. If you get any color Trekking that has the contrast roof, the black and white interior will match the roof...either way. And you can have the dash match the roof, either way. The black/white interior comes with a choice of black gloss dash or white gloss dash. And it would be superb on your white Trekking.

The black/white with glossy dash is more urban contemporary, sleek, slick, shiny, minimalist. It would appeal to a whole different group of people. Less of the rugged off-road, and more of the modern city dweller. This kind of thing (random google image link): http://www.manydesign.net/ultra-modern-interior-design/

There are all kinds of car buyers. This 500L Trekking is one of few vehicles that could appeal to a broad audience, especially if they add in the 4WD or AWD option.

Andree
09-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Here are some different oranges to consider:

NGen's orange accented 500L:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11497-Check-out-our-Tricked-Out-500L!

Photoshopped orange 500L:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11858-I-wish-I-had-this-color

UK Panda 4x4 in Sicilian Orange:

Fazzster
10-01-2013, 10:33 AM
I hear what you are saying... I have the black body / black roof Trekking and I think it looks pretty sleek... I just overheard someone today in a parking lot saying, "What a cute car." - - - cute, sleek, whatever - but at least it got a "nod" ... brighter / flashier / "younger" / sexy colors could help but I do not think this car is going to sell to too many people below 28 years of age... I hope it does, and I hope FIAT USA does gang-buster business and keeps supporting us current owners for years and years to come... One thing that was troubling during the research (pre-buying) phase - interior color choices were limiting and sort of bland... I wouldn't have put black/dark grey/brown together for a Trekking interior, but that is all that was available... customization? Not quite... but at least it has a touch of difference visually... I've not been in touch with my studio to know what's going on with their color stock and sales numbers... maybe the second year will bring other choices when the market is more clear to FIAT...

Hi neighbor...I can personally attest to UomoNuovo's claim that his all black Trekking looks "pretty sleek". It does indeed. BTW, check your PM...

fiat30327
10-09-2013, 09:11 PM
I am worried that the 500L is slow to catch on here in Atlanta. I live in the city (a good place for Fiats) and we have a good studio nearby and I haven't seen a single 500L out in the wild yet. My studio, Landmark Fiat, has 40 (!) 500L's in stock or in transit with a good selection across the packages and with plenty of automatics. At least Fiat is running 500L commercials on a regular basis.

Mario500L
10-09-2013, 09:34 PM
I am worried that the 500L is slow to catch on here in Atlanta. I live in the city (a good place for Fiats) and we have a good studio nearby and I haven't seen a single 500L out in the wild yet. My studio, Landmark Fiat, has 40 (!) 500L's in stock or in transit with a good selection across the packages and with plenty of automatics. At least Fiat is running 500L commercials on a regular basis.

Ciao 30327 (hope that is not part of your SSN) :)

I am from DC/VA area , and I get everyday a nice packed highway , so in almost 3 months I saw only 1 (yes ONE) 500L aside mine (as per coincidence, was on the same color). Myself and the girl driving the other 500L was a high exchange of waves (guess for her was almost the same thing).

"plenty of automatics" , J%$ who wants to drive a automatic one. :sad:

Jokes aside, even with all the commercials (The Italians , Italians are coming....) (my wife loves that one, since she is Italian), I guess the 500L is still pretty "new" around, and people are not that confident yet (I am not also, thinking sometime soon get parts, by what I am reading here, at least).

Andree
10-09-2013, 10:52 PM

I am from DC/VA area , and I get everyday a nice packed highway , so in almost 3 months I saw only 1 (yes ONE) 500L aside mine (as per coincidence, was on the same color). Myself and the girl driving the other 500L was a high exchange of waves (guess for her was almost the same thing).

Jokes aside, even with all the commercials (The Italians , Italians are coming....) (my wife loves that one, since she is Italian), I guess the 500L is still pretty "new" around, and people are not that confident yet (I am not also, thinking sometime soon get parts, by what I am reading here, at least).

30327 is an Atlanta GA zip code.

evbruno
02-03-2014, 03:32 AM
We got the 500L with Rossa Perla with the Red / Cementite Seats with Gray Instrument Panel, The Rossa was to bright for my wife's taste. My older daughter (22) did like the Verde Bosco Perla with white roof. The exterior colors I think work best with the car (no particular order) are the Rossa Perla, Rossa, Bianco, Mocha Latte, Blu Chairo, Giallo,

The Grigio Scuro and Grigio Chiaro look a bit bland to me on the 500L

The Bianco Perla and Verdo Chiaro would be good colors to add in my opinion We have the Verdo Chiaro on our 500 Pop. What I like about the Verdo Chiaro color is that stands out but does not shout at you.

What the Fiat Studio's need to do in my opinion is bring both the 500 and 500L to more local events (concerts, farmer's markets ...etc) with good displays of interior and exterior options. That would allow them get some data on which colors are popular with different age groups.

I wonder if forum could sort the garages and give a break down by year, model, exterior color and interior color. Might be an interesting report.

Curious
02-03-2014, 08:27 PM

I live in Charleston,SC. I see lots of 500's around town but rarely see a 500L around town. I wonder why that could be. Recently the 500 and the Honda Fit got horrible front quarter crash test results while the 500L got the highest test ratings in all areas of testings. So one would think more people would get a 500L instead of a 500. Then again it could be that it's just too new a car here in Charleston. Perhaps in time there will be lots more on the streets here.

Price wise it's ok but it's loaded up with ordering restrictions. If you want to get a mini spare then you gotta get heated seats! And if you want a C D player then you gotta get a Pop! Things like this may be why some folks get a different brand car.

Finally I think some folks may stray away from Fiat all together as they only have one model a 500 of different varieties. Reminds me of the Saturday a Night Live show with the late John Baluchi and Dan Akroid where all they sold was cheeseburger, chips and Pepsi. No hamburgers available. Bottom line is simple, Fiat needs to offer more, different models and call them anything but 500. A true 2 seat roadster would help the brand. My humble opinion.

And yes I know the Alfa Romeo is on the way, but that's not a Fiat.