PDA

View Full Version : incorrect vacuum hookup on Forge dump valve results in "check engine" light tripped

Tom D from Tennessee
09-29-2013, 05:58 PM
:feedback:Installing a Forge dump valve I mistakenly used an unused and capped barb on the right side of the intake manifold, next to what might be the fuel pump, for a vacuum take-off connection. I ran the engine about one minute and then corrected the system so that the vacuum now comes from the brake manifold line. I also recapped the barb on the intake manifold. The check engine light remains on and I am a little uncertain what to do now. It is a 60 mile flatbed to the dealer.
Can I reset the "check engine" light and see if it comes back on now that the hookup is correct? If so, how? I am afraid I already know the answer to this one....
the car is a 2014 Abarth

GetsThruBuckner
09-29-2013, 06:41 PM
:feedback:Installing a Forge dump valve I mistakenly used an unused and capped barb on the right side of the intake manifold, next to what might be the fuel pump, for a vacuum take-off connection. I ran the engine about one minute and then corrected the system so that the vacuum now comes from the brake manifold line. I also recapped the barb on the intake manifold. The check engine light remains on and I am a little uncertain what to do now. It is a 60 mile flatbed to the dealer.
Can I reset the "check engine" light and see if it comes back on now that the hookup is correct? If so, how? I am afraid I already know the answer to this one....
the car is a 2014 Abarth

If you have a smart phone, download the "Torque" app and order an ELM327 bluetooth adapter. That is the cheapest way to reset codes.

Tom D from Tennessee
09-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Is the app named "Engine Link-OBD ll vehicle" by K solution LLC ??? This is from Iphone apps and Im not sure its the right one - 5.99

mneuman916
09-29-2013, 07:03 PM
If you have a smart phone, download the "Torque" app and order an ELM327 bluetooth adapter. That is the cheapest way to reset codes.

Or just disconnect the battery/ecu and do a hard reset. Costs nothing.

I've just recently gotten Torque and the Bluetooth adaptor, but haven't cleared codes with it. If you want to have a tool that reads and clears codes I've had good luck with this: http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-Diagnostic-Vehicles/dp/B001LHVOVK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1380495388&sr=8-6&keywords=odb2+code+reader

Tom D from Tennessee
09-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Dummy me knows how to unhook a battery, but when you say battery/ecu I am lost. The battery alone is not enough?

GetsThruBuckner
09-29-2013, 07:30 PM
I've read that several forum members with iPhones have used "Dash Command" with largely positive results. I have no experience with it, so maybe others can chime in with testimonials. As for "torque" on android. the app was $5 and the ELM327 bluetooth was $13. At that price point, I am more than satisfied with the results.

Abarth Phreak
09-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Tom, if all else is too complicated, just go get a code scanner eraser set-up from your local auto store or harbor freight. ($50-$100) Any cheap unit should work fine. Also, in regards to the ECU disconnect, you can search for the videos of those who installed the piggyback systems as there is a nice video on how to remove the ECU terminals.

Tom D from Tennessee
09-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks, guys. I have my answers. I appreciate the help from you all. Nothing is complicated if the information is presented without assumption.

trevc
09-30-2013, 09:32 AM
If you do not know how to reset a CEL maybe you shouldn't be changing out a turbo blow off valve in a brand new car?
You could cause serious problems with the brakes and the turbo! Not trying to judge or be an a*hole, just saying.
Hopefully everything works out ok for you.

BigT
09-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Wait why were you tapping into a different vac source and not reusing the line that already went to that location is the better question? I know stock it just uses a recirc style but that still requires a vac source to be connected to it so why not just reuse that exact same source for the aftermarket piece?

Spool500
10-01-2013, 06:42 AM
Stock the bpv solenoid is electric not vacuum operated

Tom D from Tennessee
10-01-2013, 07:16 PM
BigTm the Forge instructions say to place a tee in the line at the brake vac takeoff, which I did. I only ran the car for 30 seconds with the wrong vacuum source . Since the brakes work fine, I can only assume that there is no damage there. I have reset the code of P2261 and it keeps on showing up. The code says that it is a turbocharger bypass valve mechanical problem. No help here, just criticism...

Tom D from Tennessee
10-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Stock valve is electric. No vac to it

musicsurf
10-01-2013, 09:40 PM
I posted a helpful comment on the other post you did. Maybe both posts should be one and in issues and concerns?

lenswerks
10-01-2013, 09:44 PM
The valve may be stuck.
Put the stock valve back on, clear code and see what happens.

Tom D from Tennessee
10-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Found the problem, thanks to Alain at 500Madness who sent very good COLOR pics of the solenoid hookup. I had reversed the two front hoses, resulting in a push pull error. It seems fine now, gone is the hiss and chatter of before - which was very loud. Now, if I havent damaged the turbo, I am in business! THANK YOU ALAIN HOORELBEKE.
When I contacted Forge,they were very helpful, but they told me to go to their website for color pics (they sent grainy B&W to the customer with their product - go figure! Even I use a color laser printer)
And finally, p*** on the guy who said that maybe I shouldnt be attempting this..just sayin

BigT
10-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Well glad to see you were able to get it working as it should and also thankful you provided the cause and fix for what you experienced. I understand about the aftermarket parts and the awesome full detail B/W install pictures they provide with the products lol. Also in my previous post wasn't trying to be smart about it I honestly didn't realize it was an electronic valve they used. So I do have a question what do you do with that valve is it reused somehow or just disconnected and the harness ziptied out of the way? I was looking at the forge BOV because it looked like a simple install and I'm sure the sound is far better then the plate piece they sell to work with the factory portion.

musicsurf
10-02-2013, 09:14 AM
The Forge BOV completely replaces the stock one and installs in the exact same place.

BigT
10-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Ok I figured it replaced the stock one but didn't the stock one have some type of connector to it in order for the PCM to know when to activate the valve? Since the forge fully replaces it where does that connector go so that the PCM doesn't freak out when it sees manifold pressure and RPM but no pressure reading from the valve? I'm thinking I need to get under my hood and lay actual eyes on the stock configuration that might help answer some of my silly questions.

Tom D from Tennessee
10-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Bit T no offense taken. The original valve is not used, and the harness (just a plug) is connected to a socket on the new solenoid, which has one input and two outputs on the other side. This is where I made my mistake when I thought that both outputs were the same. One is actually a pull and the other a push as I understand it. The input on the new solenoid is silver metal. On the output side these two are grey plastic. The top one goes to the valve itself. I learned that the new solenoid fits really well if you attach on the bottom bolt of the turbo output (the valve).

Your source for vacuum is the brake line underneath the black collector box on top of the engine. The box has three bolts holding it and is pressed into socket underneath.The connectors to split that line are part of the kit, as is the reducer which takes it to a smaller size. There is an aluminum adapter to fit the stock line to that tee.

There is a tee which is placed into a cut pipe. You will have the dickens getting that tee into the pipe. I had to use a heat gun on low for a few seconds to soften the pipe, but take care, heat guns are rough on plastic.
There are really only three junctions in the setup, two tees and the solenoid. The rest is mainly routing. I am going to find the small spring steel pinch hose clamps to use instead of the cable ties, which do not stand heat well.

The other thing is to leave some slack in your hoses, so that they have no strain to cause them to slide off when they get warm.

I feel more power from the valve and intake combination. The sounds are great.

I accidentally also bought the insert plate from Forge. It is a very simple install with nothing more than unbolting the stock unit and placing it in between. Access to the three valve screws is a bit dif for the bottom one, I used a 1/4 socket with a u-joint on a n extender. The bolts arent really very tight.

If anyone would like to try the (unused) plate, I usually sell stuff for half price. I dont have the box. Email me @ tomdisme@gmail.com

ps use his pics. Ive nevere been wrong before but this might be the day!

trevc
10-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Glad to hear you got everything sorted and working well.
I was concerned that you maybe getting in t0o deep cutting lines etc.
Quite a few people here have ended up with issues and P codes.
I probably came of as an ah***. Sorry for that. Just hate seeing people break their cars!
Thanks for the PDF - much clearer that the Forge documentation.

Tom D from Tennessee
10-02-2013, 09:11 PM
After the dust settled, it seems that the only thing I MAY have damaged is the Fiat solenoid, which opens with a graunch every once in a while. I will replace it soon. The problem that sometimes happens with cutting factory lines - especially the da** plastic tubing is that it is a one way street. Of course rubber or silicone can replace this crappy stuff. I have done wiring inside motorcycles for years and Im pretty good at it. Except for the solenoid, I believe Le Guerre es fini. And by the way, I can do this procedure faster than anybody now.
At 66, with many more than 200 cars and more than 250? motorcycles under my belt, I can honestly say that I like this car best. - over Porsches, Jaguars, Audis, Corvettes, etc. It is just plain a blast to drive here on my motorcycle roads in East Tennessee.

Sorry, Charley, no harley.....Ducati Diavel (a terrifying motorcycle), another Duck, MotoGuzzi V11, BMW, Triumph, and 3 or four more.
Also an Audi S4, which is nothing short of a flawlessly executed vehicle by the same company that wins 1-2-3 with their diesel R10 TDI LeMans cars.

trevc
10-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Hopefully you can meet up with us on the Tail of the Dragon on the 12th.