PDA

View Full Version : 500T Cattiva/T Horsepower vs AbarthP?

littlejohn
09-26-2013, 06:10 PM
I've been driving my Abarth around in non-sport mode quite often. For those of you who have a 500T or the knowledge in general? I wonder, is the 500T "in" sport mode about the same HP as an Abarth in non-sport mode. If so, you have got plenty of power in the Turbo. It's seems great they are still going to offer the Turbo as an option in the Cattiva

lammie200
09-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Sport mode doesn't do anything for HP or torque on all models either turbo or non turbo. It just tightens both throttle response and steering feel. On most other cars with a "Sport" mode it also changes the shift points for an auto transmission. I don't think that it does on Fiat 500's though.

JWFIAT88
10-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Sport mode just allows more air to flow through the engine. It makes the steering feel tighter. I don't find that sport mode changes too much on the turbo. The turbo has 135 HP while the Abarth has 160. Sport Mode benefits the 500 more than the Turbo and the abarth.

lammie200
10-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Sport mode just allows more air to flow through the engine...

Naw. Just what I wrote, but you are welcome to disagree.

streetsurfer
10-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Sport mode doesn't do anything for HP or torque on all models either turbo or non turbo. It just tightens both throttle response and steering feel. On most other cars with a "Sport" mode it also changes the shift points for an auto transmission. I don't think that it does on Fiat 500's though.

How does it change the engine's exhaust note, then?

lenswerks
10-12-2013, 03:40 PM
How does it change the engine's exhaust note, then?

TQ is increased, maybe by as much as 30ft/lbs over non-sport mode on a stock Abarth.

lammie200
10-12-2013, 04:04 PM
I don't think that there are any differences in the way Sport mode works on any Fiat models except for the differences between MT and AT. If the attachment works it describes the effects. It is from a 2013 500 Owner's Manual.

I just checked an Abarth manual and it does say that it increases boost pressure to the turbo for maximum torque. Maybe that is what changes the exhaust note. I am not an Abarth expert though. I have probably said too much.

HiFi Guy
10-12-2013, 06:34 PM
The T whether in or out of Sport mode equals the Abarth in non Sport mode. Abarth owners are at the top of the 500 line power wise only when in Sport mode.

Pressing the Sport button on anything other than the Abarth tightens up the electric steering and makes the throttle more sensitive.

Pressing the same button on the Abarth increases HP and torque by affecting the ECU. Plus it tightens the steering and increases throttle response

streetsurfer
10-12-2013, 09:20 PM
I think I was under a wrong impression with the exhaust note. I played around with it tonight to see. It was coincidental that the air had been on when I first hit the sport button, and within a second of so the exhaust changed, but that was due to a very slight increase in idle as the compressor kicked in. Verified by a slight application of throttle with the air off. So the idle tone change was not due to sport mode like I thought. Granted it should also change under heavy throttle but I was only noticing the idle change. New car, low miles, not driving it hard yet. I apologize for my mistaken perception of what was happening.

I don't think that there are any differences in the way Sport mode works on any Fiat models except for the differences between MT and AT. If the attachment works it describes the effects. It is from a 2013 500 Owner's Manual.

I just checked an Abarth manual and it does say that it increases boost pressure to the turbo for maximum torque. Maybe that is what changes the exhaust note. I am not an Abarth expert though. I have probably said too much.

Fiat500USA
10-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Take a look: US Fiat 500 Abarth Engine Output Dyno Sheet (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/03/us-fiat-500-abarth-engine-output-dyno.html)

JoeB
10-12-2013, 11:38 PM
I'll leave it to y'all to argue numbers, but on the Abarth the exhaust note definitely deepens in all gears in Sport mode, and the car is noticeably quicker. And fun!

mneuman916
10-13-2013, 07:52 AM

This is an incorrect statement. When the Sport button is pressed in the Abarth the allowed boost is increased as well as torque. It's right in the owners packet that came with the car and an extremely easy thing to feel. You literally have two different cars at your disposal. I cannot speak for the 500T models, but your statement would be accurate for all of the naturally aspirated engines.

littlejohn
10-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks for all the info...sometimes I wish I could have the turbo power but the the tight steering? But that's another issue...