PDA

View Full Version : Overboosting issues.

Kurumi
09-25-2013, 03:05 PM
I am having an issue with my Abarth. I get an overboost code and even without a ECM unit installed and no sport mode, boost climbs really fast than normal according to the stock boost gauge. Using torque (Android app), it gives me a more accurate (as accurate as OBDII can be anyway) and climbs a lot slower but still peaks at 21.1psi. I still throw a code if I drive it hard enough and stay on boost to redline from 3 gear on up.

I have the silicon vacuum line from Hi-Performance, a ported throttle body from MPx, an Injen intake, TMC catless DP with Big Daddy mini cat, and custom 2.5" cat back. The issue existed before I had the downpipe installed so I know it's not that. From reading on the Dart forums, people who have the issue either went back to stock intake and it seems to solve the issue or it was a bad batch of turbos.

I don't know if it's a bad vacuum wastegate solonoid (where the vacuum lines attach to from the intake pipe and the turbo), or a bad turbo.

Anyone have any ideas?

shagghie
09-25-2013, 05:24 PM
how long have you had the issue? Did it start after any of the other mods? I've learned that adjusting too much pre-load on the wastegate actuator could cause a boost creep situation, but doesn't sound like you have the Forge WGA installed or that you've messed with the stock tension setting, right? So yeah, maybe the solenoid? Have you checked all your vacuum lines and/or electrical connections under the hood? do you have the 1446 or 1448 turbo (just out of curiosity)? Does the car go into limp mode?

Kurumi
09-25-2013, 05:59 PM
I've had the car since July. As for the issue, it ran fine with the intake and other mods (MM box as well) for 5200 miles when it had issues. The downpipe wasn't the cause cause it happened before then. I haven't added the forge actuator or messed with the stock settings. I have a dump plate for the solenoid. It's a 1446 compressor I think (46 on the side, not 1446). It goes into limp mode when it throws the code and I am stuck on base boost (3psi on the gauge)

musicsurf
09-25-2013, 06:23 PM
There could be a leak, check the lines going to the actuator and the charge pipe. Just to rule it out, I would check to make sure there wasn't too much preload on the actuator from the factory. Had it happened prior to removing the MM box? The two connection that the harness goes on are boost sensors, are they both in good shape?

Kurumi
09-25-2013, 06:33 PM
The issue happened while I still had the MM box installed. Removing didn't solve the issue but helped by not going to overlook too quickly. The connectors are fine. The preload settings I don't know. It still has has factory glue on the nut.

shagghie
09-25-2013, 06:51 PM
The issue happened while I still had the MM box installed. Removing didn't solve the issue but helped by not going to overlook too quickly. The connectors are fine. The preload settings I don't know. It still has has factory glue on the nut.

With the MM box off, are you able to take it in to the dealer, or still worried about the DP. I'm headed into a meeting now, but was going to search these forums for others that have had that code... i recall seeing it come up here before.

Kurumi
09-25-2013, 06:57 PM
I need to replace the downpipe and exhaust. All the other mods I can swap back easily. I forgot about the throttle body too. Would that cause the issue (doubt it). I guess I can leave that on for the dealer since it's a factory part.

shagghie
09-25-2013, 07:17 PM
I need to replace the downpipe and exhaust. All the other mods I can swap back easily. I forgot about the throttle body too. Would that cause the issue (doubt it). I guess I can leave that on for the dealer since it's a factory part.

The TB could cause issues with unintended acceleration if it sticks open. My first MPx TB was defective like that and it was a little scary. They replaced it free of charge, even covered shipping and I've been GTG since. I don't know if it would affect boost and throw that CEL either way, sorry.

DS Ocampo
10-01-2013, 02:49 AM
I noticed after I did all my MODs it would spike my boost up to. 22.-- psi on stock gauge ... Played with the waste gate and found that one sweet spot for it... Took time and some burnt finger tips but it's good now. ( knock on wood)... The other thing I had to do was recheck everything ... Found one small rip in the 90• deg elbow to the WGA .. Also have found poor connections that are behind the engine for the chk valv mod and at the canister going to the forge BOV... Just check that...

But deff might have to play with that waste gate after u recheck all lines.... And try to find that setting ur car is happy at

BigDaddySRT
10-03-2013, 07:41 AM
Boost is controlled by the Wastegate... which is controlled by the Electronic Wastegate Solenoid.

You've messed with the Vacuum Lines... you have a "Leak" in the tubing prior to the Wastegate.