PDA

View Full Version : Abarth all chipped up from dump truck :(

silky
09-24-2013, 06:40 PM
I guess it could be worse in an Abarth vs dump truck situation but...

On my was home tonight the abarth got splattered with gravel leaking from the back of a dump truck. It wasn't the normal little amount the bounces out...the back door must not have been closed right because I could see the gravel flowing out. I couldn't get away from it either. The truck was in the middle lane going below the speed limit on a very busy highway. I moved as far left as I could but I could still hear the disgusting sound of rock smacking paint and windshield:(. In the end the Abarth has atleast 4, 1/2cm stone chips and a few smaller ones. There are probably more but I don't want to wash it before it is inspected so it is hard to tell what is chip vs road grime etc.

I didn't get the license plate of the truck but i managed to get the Commercial Vehicle Operator Registration number (it's on Ontario thing) and the name on the side of the cab. I also kept track of the time and location and that there was a truck weigh station 2 minutes down the road that the truck had to stop at. I will have to see the Ontario Provincial Police at the accident reporting centre tomorrow.

In the end I am pretty sure I'm screwed. The truck driver will deny it, it will be his word vs. mine, and those chips could have come from anywhere. My only hope is that other cars reported it and that my record keeping pays off.

Tozzo's on a month old:(

redred
09-24-2013, 06:48 PM
If you know the name of the trucking company, you should call them. I don't remember how it works in Ontario (grew up in Milton), but here in Los Angeles, if a stone chips the paint or your window the company is liable for repair. Most of the trucking companies are really good about having it repaired. If that trucking company hauls gravel or other small items, they are responsible for ensuring that the trucks are properly covered and protected to prevent stones from flying out.

I'd try calling them prior to filing an accident report with the OPP.

KKaWing
09-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Though hindsight, dashcamsource (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11941-Dashcam-Source-an-intro-to-dashcams-and-a-Fiat-500-USA-special-sale) might be able to help you. Something like this (http://www.dashcamsource.com/collections/dod/products/dod-ls300w) would be small and out of the way. Pretty good investment and gives you an edge with incidents like these. If you decide to shop around, make sure they are not knockoffs. Image quality aside, the auto recording function might not work correctly (i.e. it won't start up as you start the car).

Good luck with the claim.

silky
09-24-2013, 07:16 PM
If you know the name of the trucking company, you should call them. I don't remember how it works in Ontario (grew up in Milton), but here in Los Angeles, if a stone chips the paint or your window the company is liable for repair. Most of the trucking companies are really good about having it repaired. If that trucking company hauls gravel or other small items, they are responsible for ensuring that the trucks are properly covered and protected to prevent stones from flying out.

I don't have the name of the company, was not listed on the truck. All I have is name of owner and the CVOR #. I need the OPP to find the information for the truck. Just filling out a report doesn't get the driver in any trouble, it is just a record of the incident.

I think the problem I will have is proving the damages came from him.

Abarth Five O
09-24-2013, 07:25 PM
File a claim w/ your insurance carrier, provide them w/ as much details as possible, and have them subrogate against the trucking company for your deductible, loss of use, and any amounts paid in excess of your ded. That way you can get your car repaired sooner.

Seafarer61
09-25-2013, 01:55 AM
This is a perfect example of a cell phone cam coming in handy.

silky
09-25-2013, 08:56 AM
This is a perfect example of a cell phone cam coming in handy.

We're not allowed to use cell phones here while driving. We're not allowed to play with any hand-held device. We are supposed to set GPS before we leave and not touch it! I bet if I showed up at the police station with a video they would have given me a charge.

BigDaddySRT
09-25-2013, 09:16 AM

They put Warning Signs on the back of Dump Trucks warning to stay back at least 50 Feet.

They are also supposed to cover the Load to try and stop debris from falling out.

Good Luck going after the Trucking Company... and good Luck with the Department of Public Safety stopping them for not following Safety Guidelines.

acrcpe45
09-25-2013, 12:39 PM
They put Warning Signs on the back of Dump Trucks warning to stay back at least 50 Feet.

They are also supposed to cover the Load to try and stop debris from falling out.

Good Luck going after the Trucking Company... and good Luck with the Department of Public Safety stopping them for not following Safety Guidelines.

Just a note, because of regulations... Those warning signs don't mean sh!t. They are responsible for following regulations and their loads.

I agree though, good luck... I know people that have had good luck and people that have had bad luck in these situations. Normally they will want to settle with you.

Mike

silky
09-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Well, I went to the accident reporting centre. The office took the info on the truck and gave me a printout with his name, addresss and driver's license number. I will contact insurance tomorrow and they should proceed against the other driver's insurance.

All in all there are about 4-5 fairly big chips this size >>>>> .

and about 15-20 very small chips.

What would be the fix in a situation with so many chips? I can't see them simply touching up 20-25 chips. Would they respray the entire front bumper/hood?

ReconTopher
09-25-2013, 09:58 PM
they would have to respray no matter what. I would insist on new parts installed. I wouldn't want filler all over the front of my car. Also the paint isn't going to match up, even if they blend it into the existing so when you go to sell it, you're going to get hit on it being damaged.

silky
09-26-2013, 11:35 PM
why won't it match? they cannot match the factory colour or cannot match the "worn" paint?

ScorpionSkins.com
09-27-2013, 12:25 AM
I've had a dump truck crack the windshield on my last vehicle this way. (Had little warning in the matter, he was further ahead on the on-ramp and a stray rock flew my way).

I absolutely hate these trucks... always try to avoid them and keep my distance when I can. Good luck getting the issue resolved!

acrcpe45
09-27-2013, 03:08 PM
they would have to respray no matter what. I would insist on new parts installed. I wouldn't want filler all over the front of my car. Also the paint isn't going to match up, even if they blend it into the existing so when you go to sell it, you're going to get hit on it being damaged.

What??? Unless the metal is dented you wouldn't need filler, and even small dents can come out with PDR.

Don't be ridiculous about it. Be reasonable and most companies will work with you. Yes, your factory paint can be matched by any good, reputable repair facility.

Mike

ReconTopher
09-27-2013, 04:08 PM
I would think rock chips would qualify as a "sharp dent" and paintless dent removal wouldn't work for that. The car is brand new, insist on new parts, what do you have to lose?

The hood and front fascia would be repainted and then blended into the adjoining body panels. If you inspect it properly, anyone who knows what to look for is going to see where it is blended. It's going to have a repair and a paint blend, automatic depreciation of your car's value due to someone else's negligence.

Be ridiculous about it!