PDA

View Full Version : Anyone spraying their intercoolers for autocross or track days?

Robert Nixon
09-24-2013, 01:55 PM
I've seen some of the other folks spraying water on their intercoolers in between autocross runs, and was just wondering if any Abarth owners were doing that. If so, how much do you think it helps or lowers your temps? I'm just in the stock category, so I'm not really worried about overheating, but just thinking that a lot of hot runs on a really hot SC day is pretty dang hot. The only other thing I've done is open the hood in between runs, which surely lets a lot of heat out of the engine bay.

abarth&911
09-24-2013, 03:31 PM
I’m curious to know also, but at the level of competition that we do it likely doesn’t make that much of a difference.
There is potentially more time to be lost or gain by the nut behind the wheel.
At national level competition where you looking for the last 0.1sec then I would say it’s worth trying it.
Anyhow the weather forecast for this coming Saturday is high 70 for you in Myrtle Beach and mid 70 for me in Roanoke Rapids.
I had the Dunlop ZII install yesterday, we will see how they go on Saturday.

shadyabarth
09-24-2013, 04:27 PM
I've seen some of the other folks spraying water on their intercoolers in between autocross runs, and was just wondering if any Abarth owners were doing that. If so, how much do you think it helps or lowers your temps? I'm just in the stock category, so I'm not really worried about overheating, but just thinking that a lot of hot runs on a really hot SC day is pretty dang hot. The only other thing I've done is open the hood in between runs, which surely lets a lot of heat out of the engine bay.

Spraying water onto the intercooler is a great idea but mainly benefits those who run a top mount intercooler (ie:wrx sti) where the engine is "cooking" the Intercooler. For the Abarth spraying water directly onto the Intercooler won't be as beneficial as there is less heat soak on our side/front mounts as opposed to a top mount. Perhaps spraying a fine mist into the intake tract would net better results or even spraying the intercooler with Nitrous. I dont like the idea of spraying water onto the intercooler which is directly in front of the tires for traction reasons..

Robert Nixon
09-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'm really looking forward to the cooler weather. Let us know how the Dunlops run!

Now that you mention it, the other cars I saw had the intercoolers on top, so I agree with your points.

Mostly I was thinking to the mid summer day at ZMax when it was upper 90s, ashphalt with no shade, and man it was HOT with a capital H.

redred
09-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Mostly I was thinking to the mid summer day at ZMax when it was upper 90s, ashphalt with no shade, and man it was HOT with a capital H.

Last track day we did at Willow Springs in July it was 112 degrees out (track temps were reported to be 120 plus). It was really, really hot. The cars performed exceptionally well in the heat. I think the car will be just fine for short, auto-x runs.

abarth&911
09-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Our 90 is not a dry 90, the humidity is the killer here. That day at Z-Max I was happy that the AC on the Miata was still working for the drive home.
For the one that remember that’s the event where we were not allowed to drive the Abarth.
I think that AX is actually worse than track for the intercooler. We sit in line for 5 min. +, than do 45-60 sec of relatively high RPM, high boost, low speed up to maybe 55 mph so relatively low air flow thru the intercooler, then go sit in line again. On track you do 20min. but the airflow thru the intercooler is constant and much higher due to the higher speed.

stealthy1ss
09-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Just spay the IC's with nitrous after runs! ThrashinSmiley

Gharbeson
06-16-2014, 01:16 AM
I have run in two different racing events. The Texas Mile. Standing start through 1 mile. Way beyond the ability of the OE SMIC and heat soak by 3/4 mile. Installed Pogea FMIC. On pre race dyno, multiple dyno pulls showed no more heat soak and boost and HP steady through 6,000 on multiple back to back runs. At the last event U.S. half Mile no more heat soak. We used a 5lb bottle of compressed CO2 to spray FMIC right before the run. We turned off the engine during spray for stray CO2 inhaling by engine. Worked wonderfully. This was a tip by the big bore racers in the paddock. CO2 easy to use, refill, cheap. Another tip for the Abarth: remove the gasket at the back of the hood. It comes off and goes on very easily. Great for venting excess engine bay heat. At the end of the runs, the windshield is pretty hot!