PDA

View Full Version : 500L Abarth possibly in the works!!!!

Corrnaus
09-24-2013, 12:03 PM
http://jalopnik.com/fiat-may-be-cooking-up-a-raucous-500l-abarth-1377006477

Could it be coming to NA?!? Only time will tell. Not a fan off giving the Abarth name to the L. Didnt like what Mini was doing giving the JCW name to everything but we will see what they can come up with for the L.

JoeB
09-24-2013, 12:25 PM
I think a sported up 500L would be cool (and inevitable), but I don't see how they can legitimately call it an Abarth. It already comes with the same engine, which means "the Abarth treatment" would simply be stiffer suspension, different wheels, sport seats and some scorpions thrown around. The 500 Abarth is a major power upgrade from the standard 500. I don't see Fiat doing the same for the 500L, nor do I see the suspension tweaks creating a significantly sportier vehicle. The L is a very cool little wagon, but it's never going to be a sports car.

redred
09-24-2013, 12:39 PM
The L is a very cool little wagon, but it's never going to be a sports car.

That's what they said about the Juke-R. ;)

Corrnaus
09-24-2013, 12:43 PM
That's what they said about the Juke-R. ;)

I love that Juke R but that thing costs 500k. You could make the 500L pretty sporty for that kind of coin.

Mario500L
09-24-2013, 01:02 PM
http://jalopnik.com/fiat-may-be-cooking-up-a-raucous-500l-abarth-1377006477

Could it be coming to NA?!? Only time will tell. Not a fan off giving the Abarth name to the L. Didnt like what Mini was doing giving the JCW name to everything but we will see what they can come up with for the L.

One thing for sure FIAT needs to stop doing, and sounds that is one reason that they aren't that "successful" here in US , and why they are losing some money, is stoping doing 10 models of the same car, and deploy new models, what was good on the 500L case. Have the same car, only changing external and internal little things is not going to work. Like, one thing that is pretty funny "dual mode temperature controller", do they managed to have a force field between left and right side of the car, to control individual sides temperature?

I love my 500L by the way.

Fiat500USA
09-24-2013, 02:37 PM
It is frustrating that they don't have new models, however it is easier said than done, especially with the European car crisis. In the meantime, Fiat has been doing very well with the multi-versions of the 500. They aren't losing any money with them and they all sell out, so don't expect that to change. Look at the 695 series cars, priced at around double that of a standard Abarth. They make just enough and sell quickly. They need to milk as much out of each model, that's just the way it is now.

redred
09-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Look at the 695 series cars, priced at around double that of a standard Abarth. They make just enough and sell quickly. They need to milk as much out of each model, that's just the way it is now.

They NEED to bring the 695 series to the US. Limited run, but I guarantee they would sell out! Stop with the GQ and Gucci and bring some serious custom Abarths. They would have no problem at all selling them.

Fiat500USA
09-24-2013, 04:41 PM
They NEED to bring the 695 series to the US. Limited run, but I guarantee they would sell out! Stop with the GQ and Gucci and bring some serious custom Abarths. They would have no problem at all selling them.

When I was shown the Venom we had a long discussion on a Ferrari version. I told them in my opinion a Ferrari version would have to offer enhanced performance including the Sabelt seats or the car might be considered a poseur. Can't go into specifics but just imagine trying to price an Abarth 695 Tributo Ferrari? In Europe, that car is twice the price of a normal Abarth 500.

The other problem is without a DSG or MTA gearbox, the HP is limited. The only thing they can do is trim, wheels and maybe suspension upgrades and I don't think that is enough to qualify for 695 badging. In anycase, rest assured they would love to have something hot. These guys love performance! I wouldn't be surprised that we will eventually see something cool, but I think we need to wait until there are trans options.

Robert Nixon
09-24-2013, 04:44 PM
From FIATs point of view, they already have a wide range of models:
Panda, 500, Abarth, L, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Ferrari, Dodge, Chrysler, Ram, Viper, Lancia

I suppose they see FIAT in the US as being "anything smaller than a Dodge Dart"

Fazzster
09-25-2013, 11:33 AM
A 500L Abarth I think makes sense. I have seen more than a few 500 owners move to the L for space reasons (ie growing family). There has to be a few Abarth owners who could use more space as well. I envision the Abarth version to have the same engine but with enhanced tuning, suspension, lighter/larger wheels and a beautiful exhaust note. I say bring it on.

JoeB
09-25-2013, 12:31 PM
From FIATs point of view, they already have a wide range of models:
Panda, 500, Abarth, L, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Ferrari, Dodge, Chrysler, Ram, Viper, Lancia

I suppose they see FIAT in the US as being "anything smaller than a Dodge Dart"

This is my understanding. I think Marchionne is treating the Fiat 500 as a brand the way BMW sees Mini Cooper. I don't expect a full line of Fiats in NA.

NGEN
09-26-2013, 12:22 AM
Bottom line is putting the Abarth logo on the car will boost sales. Horsepower might be increased slightly but add a no muffler dual exhaust, tighter suspension, sportier seats, scorpions and lighter/aggressive wheels and there ya go - an Abarth 500L. We will see what happens.

elorablue
10-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Well, Mercedes "AMGs" everything and personally I think it waters down the marque. Maybe it isn't completely fair to compare AMG to Abarth but on a smaller scale , maybe it is. You can even get AMG "style" on regular Mercs. Some of the looks but none of the tech. MB has realized they have mainstreamed AMG so their answer is the Black series of pure muscle car insanity. I think a 500L Abarth is completely missing the point of what Abarth is and should be all about - small, lightning quick, fun cars- that are made to be thrashed to within an inch of their life.

Abarths should be a distinct series and not just a trim level.

Trystane
10-05-2013, 06:05 PM
^^^^^

This, this, this, this, and this all bears repeating. A 500L Abarth would be an insult to the series

nerdvana
10-10-2013, 04:54 PM
A 500L Abarth would be an insult to the series

In the same way that the new Charger is an insult to the original model. :-(

I'm not saying the new Charger is a bad car. I'm saying Chargers should not have four doors.

Tweak
10-11-2013, 12:15 AM
^^^ Charger with 4 doors.....ugh, totally agree.