PDA

View Full Version : Chipping Paint on Roof

Dr. FIAT
09-23-2013, 07:45 PM
I've got some major bubbling and peeling happening on the strip of black painted metal right behind the windshield and before the sunroof. My car only has 8000 miles. It looks like a horrible paint job- probably unprimed. There are tiny blister bubbles all over the finish just on this one piece. The rest of the Grigio paint is flawless. Anybody else having this issue, and is it a warranty item?

Also, my passenger side windshield washer has never worked. Could be a plugged line- the Mopar service department did not know how to deal with it.

Thanks!!

onederer
09-23-2013, 08:01 PM
my passenger side windshield washer has never worked. the Mopar service department did not know how to deal with it.

that is not very encouraging. :jaw:

Dr. FIAT
09-23-2013, 08:26 PM
To be fair, the Fiat mechanic was out to lunch. But I tried to get the cowl off today and have a look, but the darn thing doesn't want to come off.

cmj912
09-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Be careful with the piece of the sunroof behind the windshield but before the roof glass. It is my understanding that this particular part is glued in with the rest of the sunroof frame.
Oh...one other thing. I also don't think that piece is made of metal. I think it is some sort of plastic. There was a guy whose sunroof piece was cracked by hail and when it was replaced it was sort of an ordeal.

cmj912
09-24-2013, 09:01 PM
I just read in another forum that apparently the sunroof needs to be completely removed to replace this. If it ever happens to my car, I'm plasti-dipping the piece. I'll fill any low spots with touch-up and then matte-black, then clear gloss it. There's no way it could possibly look any worse than the piece if it starts to peel off.

Dr. FIAT
09-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Oh good lord, this is horrible. Can it be painted on the car? This shoddy paint quality is unacceptable. I mean, the car is brand new!

Dr. FIAT
11-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Bump to the top- anyone else having this issue? It does indeed look like a plastic piece. The paint is just peeling off really nicely, like its not primed at all. There are little bubbles all over this part. My question is can it be painted on the car?

streetsurfer
11-02-2013, 10:09 PM
It might be worth looking into having a colored laminate film (like the clear bra material) applied to it rather than paint or replacing, if that sounds acceptable to you. I suspect it's partly debris in the air stream and the contraction and expansion of the piece in weather extremes that contribute to the paint issue. That's just my guess. I'm not a body and paint man. I hope you find a good solution.

Oh, Word?
11-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Sounds like the plastic wasn't prepped right from the factory. There's a very certain way to prep plastic to be able to paint it and it fails from time to time and does exactly what's happening to yours. Basically what happens is they put a release agent into the plastic so it comes out of the mold but that in turn needs to cleaned and prepped properly to get paint to stick. Take my word that prepping raw plastic is an AWFUL experience but if not done correct paint will never stick.

Dr. FIAT
11-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Well, it sure is stripping right off rather cleanly. I can peel it off no problem. Wonder if I should do this manually and wash with methyl alcohol and reprime? Methyl alcohol will remove mold release agent (typically fatty amide or esters). The plastic underneath is really clean- a light gray in color.

Oh, Word?
11-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Getting the release agent off will certainly help but there's a specific type of adhesive promoter you need to use before you can get primer to stick to it. The way I do it is first thing wash the part really well with normal car wash soap and water, dry it off. Scuff the part with a grey 3M scuff pad and a special cleaner that DuPont makes, I can't think of the part number off the top of my head. That basically gets any grease and release agents out while it scuffs. Then wash the part like you would before any type of paint job, but instead of using a normal primer you use a special adhesion promoter that once again I can't think if the part number. It goes on insanely thin and speckled and all it does is make a barrier between the raw plastic and the primer/sealer on the top as well as de statics the piece. There's technically no reason to prime the part you could seal and paint it with no issue as long as there's body work done on it. If there was body work to do you'd have to do all the steps and prime it, then go ahead and do the body work then reprime the problem areas. The second you hit raw plastic with anything harsher than a grey scuff pad it's going to turn into a ton of plastic hairs and they're a nightmare to deal with.

Dr. FIAT
11-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the great advice! Sounds like a PITA- think I'll let the dealer fix this under warranty.

cbcthomas
03-27-2014, 12:19 AM
Well, it sure is stripping right off rather cleanly. I can peel it off no problem. Wonder if I should do this manually and wash with methyl alcohol and reprime? Methyl alcohol will remove mold release agent (typically fatty amide or esters). The plastic underneath is really clean- a light gray in color.

I have the same problem with my roof. I have a 2012 FIAT 500 Sport, Black. It looks awful, the paint just started peeling off between my windshield and the sunroof. I just emailed Chrysler to see if they would do anything about it. I have 45,000 miles on it, so I doubt it.

FiatTigger
06-24-2015, 09:13 PM
Reviving an old thread, we just noticed, we have this problem too (2012 Sport, Black) - does anyone know if Fiat is fixing it?

FiatTigger
06-25-2015, 09:32 AM
Bumpitty Bump Bump.

pip
06-25-2015, 01:33 PM
my dealer said they would fix mine