PDA

View Full Version : Alignment

cmj912
09-23-2013, 08:57 AM
I had my tires rotated at 9,000 miles and now the car seems a little jiggly at 37 and 71 mph. It isn't really coming through the steering wheel so much - although I notice now with electronic power steering that most cars you won't feel that anymore.
It is almost like a slight 'bounce'. I have a funny feeling that when they rotated the tires they did not re-balance them and the car *is* slightly out of alignment.
Stupid question, but can I take it in to JUST have them re-balance the tires and align the car? I'd like the tires to wear evenly and the jiggling isn't pronounced, you can just tell something feels out of round and the car was smooth as glass before I had it done. I didn't notice right away because I don't spend a lot of time on the highway and because the roads around here are AWFUL so it can be tough to tell.

msjulie33
09-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Yup sometimes you can lose a wheel weight but I wonder if either the tread wore just-so or the more 'jiggly' wheel is now up front.. The way I generally distinguish alignment vs wheel balance is that off balance doesn't generally cause the car to pull to one side or another but can often produce a nice annoying, distinct sound at specific speeds..

The rims my car has have glue-on wheel weights.. do all of them? Check for something having been knocked off on a wheel

SeaDawg
09-23-2013, 09:34 AM
NORMALLY, the Studios do NOT balance the wheels when they rotate them. In fact, a lot, if not most, do not have tire balancing equipment on the premises and would farm that out. I would suggest that you go to a TIRE store and have them high speed balance your wheels. Rotating the tires should not REQUIRE that you get an alignment. If you weren't experiencing any symptoms of bad alignment before the tire rotation I'd save my alignment money and see what getting the tires rebalanced would do.

ALSO...CHECK your tire pressures. They may not have reset them after they rotated the wheels. You just NEVER know unless you check them yourself. My AccuTire tire gage lives in my glovebox.

ADD: You may want to find out how they rotated your tires. The FIAT manual shows the back two should be crossed to the other side front and the front two should be moved to the back on the same side

cmj912
09-23-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks!
I was just trying to figure out what it most likely is. I wasn't expecting that the dealer would rebalance the wheels after rotating, but it felt so different at high speed that I thought it must be the case that they don't.
I checked my tire pressures right after it was done to make sure. I am running each at cold pressure at 1psi above recommended.

The car is only slightly out of alignment, but the little bounce you can definitely feel. It changes the exact speed but I feel it once, slightly, at 35-38 and between 68 and 71.

BigDaddySRT
09-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Type of Tires? Do you have directional tires?
How did they "rotate" the Tires (Front to Back, X Cross Pattern)?

What tread depth do you have on all four tires?

What Tire Pressures are you running?

They should have given you a written report of before and after their work.

cmj912
09-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Oh my. Um. I am not sure of all the details but the tires were rotated by the Studio and are the factory Continentals.

cmj912
10-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Argh...
So the guy said "the rear is not adjustable but you could get a camber kit for that". I have no idea what that means or what the red numbers will or would mean for tire wear and handling quality. I was looking to get rid of a "jiggle" that the car had at 37 and 71; it seems to have helped.

The shop nicked all of the center caps and bent the slots where you insert pry tools to get them off. Haven't they ever heard of a $5 set of nylon pry tools?~?!?!? How much is a new set of caps?

Welchlin
04-08-2014, 05:31 PM
This issue with the car's rear toe is becoming quite the common issue now that many of us are doing our first alignment. There is no camber kit that I know of for the rear, but there are camber bolts available for the front. Many people are having the rear toe fixed by installing shims.

Here is are two links (I know they Abarth threads) to alignment issues with aftermarket suspension and another thread on stock suspension. Good luck getting everything fixed!

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?14983-Alignment-After-Coilover-Installation

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?14779-Rear-toe-adjustment