PDA

View Full Version : weatherproofing the convertible top for new 500c Abarth Cabrio -- fabric or vinyl?

novemberspawnedamonster
09-21-2013, 11:38 PM
First of all, I just wanted to express my thanks for all of the helpful information on this forum. I read the forum extensively during my preparations to get my 500. You folks were so helpful in my negotiating for a 2013 500c Abarth Cabrio. I went with Nero, no stripes, 16" standard wheels, leather seats and the convenience package (didn't feel like I needed the Beats). I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance to take out the dslr.

I'm writing to ask about weatherproofing the convertible top. I read up on things a bit and ended up ordering Raggtop cleaning and weatherproofing sprays. Raggtop gets great reviews on the internet. However, when the package from Amazon arrived, it was a kit geared toward vinyl convertible tops. When I feel the Abarth's convertible top, it certainly feels like a cloth top. That said, further research I did left me with the impression that most tops are vinyl, but a good number of them feel like cloth or cotton. This left me confused about whether I should return the Raggtop and purchase the 303 spray.

Any suggestions on whether to use Raggtop or 303 or something else entirely?

Thanks in advance for your help!

JoeB
09-22-2013, 02:46 AM
First of all, I just wanted to express my thanks for all of the helpful information on this forum. I read the forum extensively during my preparations to get my 500. You folks were so helpful in my negotiating for a 2013 500c Abarth Cabrio. I went with Nero, no stripes, 16" standard wheels, leather seats and the convenience package (didn't feel like I needed the Beats). I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance to take out the dslr.

I'm writing to ask about weatherproofing the convertible top. I read up on things a bit and ended up ordering Raggtop cleaning and weatherproofing sprays. Raggtop gets great reviews on the internet. However, when the package from Amazon arrived, it was a kit geared toward vinyl convertible tops. When I feel the Abarth's convertible top, it certainly feels like a cloth top. That said, further research I did left me with the impression that most tops are vinyl, but a good number of them feel like cloth or cotton. This left me confused about whether I should return the Raggtop and purchase the 303 spray.

Any suggestions on whether to use Raggtop or 303 or something else entirely?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Raggtop sells a cloth kit. You got the wrong one.

DowneasTTer
09-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Raggtop sells a cloth kit. You got the wrong one.

What he said. Send it back order the correct kit. Here is the one you want.http://www.amazon.com/RaggTopp-Fabric-Convertible-Cleaner-Protectant/dp/B008MM5ZFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379870559&sr=8-1&keywords=ragtop+convertible+kit

I use it on all my tops. The 01 audi TT still looks and feels new. Great stuff!!!

ItzBitz
09-22-2013, 01:40 PM
I am VERY pleased with the results of 303. I also found it available at the local West Marine.

novemberspawnedamonster
09-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Thanks, guys!! If it looks like a cloth top and feels like a cloth top, then it's gotta be a cloth top! I've ordered the 303 for cloth this time, only because I can get it more quickly through Amazon Prime. Looking forward to seeing its results

melanzane
09-23-2013, 07:53 PM
The RaggTop spray I have says Fabric AND vinyl.

Definitely worth the investment. You do have to re-apply every few months if in extreme rain like Florida or Pacific NW.