PDA

View Full Version : Someone had to be the first....

Wolfepaw
09-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Driving down a road between Costco and Target, parking lots on both sides of me. Lady decides to dash in front of me from one parking lot to another. Couldn't stop in time....smack! I hammered the brakes and thank god for the Fiat's braking power, so I didn't hit her going very fast. No air bags went off and the front end absorbed it very well. No damage to the radiator or engine. The front is all scuffed up, but surprisingly held it's shape. I've seen other cars not be drive-able after a front end impact like that. I may not have been going fast, but it was a hard enough impact to make me a bit sore. Other than getting a punch in the nose and being scuffed up, my 500L seems no worse for wear.

Mario500L
09-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Driving down a road between Costco and Target, parking lots on both sides of me. Lady decides to dash in front of me from one parking lot to another. Couldn't stop in time....smack! I hammered the brakes and thank god for the Fiat's braking power, so I didn't hit her going very fast. No air bags went off and the front end absorbed it very well. No damage to the radiator or engine. The front is all scuffed up, but surprisingly held it's shape. I've seen other cars not be drive-able after a front end impact like that. I may not have been going fast, but it was a hard enough impact to make me a bit sore. Other than getting a punch in the nose and being scuffed up, my 500L seems no worse for wear.

Holly %^&, I hope you are fine Wolf. Good to know 500L did its job to keep you safe. Hopes everything turned out fine with the car, and will be fixed as new.

Indie500L
09-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Parking lots and package stores in parking lots are dangerous areas! Glad you are only a little sore - get that puppy fixed ASAP!!

I almost ran into someone going by the exit of a lot as I was trying to pull out behind them when I gave it a little gas it surged - maybe the turbo kicked in I don't know for sure but I slammed the brakes on and skidded - things in the car flew off the rear seat (girlfriend HA HA) and it all happened in about 3 feet.

dart1.4t
09-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Parking lots and package stores in parking lots are dangerous areas! Glad you are only a little sore - get that puppy fixed ASAP!!

I almost ran into someone going by the exit of a lot as I was trying to pull out behind them when I gave it a little gas it surged - maybe the turbo kicked in I don't know for sure but I slammed the brakes on and skidded - things in the car flew off the rear seat (girlfriend HA HA) and it all happened in about 3 feet.

the first week in the dart was interesting. the brakes have broken in to be more drivable but talk about touchy!!! i swear i could put a passanger through the windsheild accidentally. fiat brakes weren't alway "great." but they did give you 4-wheel disks on the cheapest cars of the time. whether they were ballanced or if the pedal feel was good was a different story but today, they might not be as good as aftermarket units on a race track but in trafic they are as good as anything out there. todays fiats, and fiat/alfa based dodges are a remarkable value.

Curious
09-21-2013, 10:40 PM
Hey I just like the big dash, means a lot in front of me to protect me and my passengers.

Luv2byte
09-22-2013, 12:27 AM
Holly %^&, I hope you are fine Wolf. Good to know 500L did its job to keep you safe. Hopes everything turned out fine with the car, and will be fixed as new.

Yup...what he /\ said.

NGEN
09-22-2013, 11:25 PM
As long as nothing broke in the front, should be a quick fix with a bodyshop. If you have to replace components, you may have to wait for awhile depending... lights are becoming readily available but some of the grille pieces aren't even available yet. Keep us updated and show us some pictures if you can.

Mario500L
09-23-2013, 09:54 AM
As long as nothing broke in the front, should be a quick fix with a bodyshop. If you have to replace components, you may have to wait for awhile depending... lights are becoming readily available but some of the grille pieces aren't even available yet. Keep us updated and show us some pictures if you can.

That is one of my main concerns now, reading some posts, that FIAT will be not able to provide quick turn around on parts for the 500L, if something breaks. If you car doesn't have issues , fine, but if something needs to be replaced .....

Wolfepaw
09-23-2013, 11:56 AM
That is one of my main concerns now, reading some posts, that FIAT will be not able to provide quick turn around on parts for the 500L, if something breaks. If you car doesn't have issues , fine, but if something needs to be replaced .....

That was my biggest worry, would parts even be available. No lights were damaged. The license plate holder part of the bumper that sticks out is smashed and broken. It took the brunt of the impact. The grill about center over to passenger side is all banged up and scratched. That is all plastic so it is not actually dented per say. Who knows what happened behind it. No radiator or engine issues so far. I managed to get my speed low enough before impact to avoid serious damage it appears. I pulled hard to the left and hit the brakes hard which saved me probably. Car was coming left to right, which is why I steered left to try and avoid.

trevc
09-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Could have been worse....glad you are ok and didn't have too much damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmTP4xUTqCM

Wolfepaw
10-01-2013, 08:26 PM
That was my biggest worry, would parts even be available. No lights were damaged. The license plate holder part of the bumper that sticks out is smashed and broken. It took the brunt of the impact. The grill about center over to passenger side is all banged up and scratched. That is all plastic so it is not actually dented per say. Who knows what happened behind it. No radiator or engine issues so far. I managed to get my speed low enough before impact to avoid serious damage it appears. I pulled hard to the left and hit the brakes hard which saved me probably. Car was coming left to right, which is why I steered left to try and avoid.

Just a little update. Quote came back at just under $1k, $700 of that in labor. I'm in the wrong business! Only a couple replacement parts, the license plate bracket, the chrome part with the Fiat logo on the grill and tow hook cover. Rest was all repaint, refinish. Fiat of Kirkland says they have the parts, so should be easy peasy. Dealing with insurance, not so easy peasy! Still waiting for liability decision between the two insurances. Lady ran a stop sign in front of me so not sure what the argument is. I used to handle this stuff for my company many years ago and insurances will fight to the bitter end to not accept liability responsibility.

Luv2byte
10-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Just a little update. Quote came back at just under $1k, $700 of that in labor. I'm in the wrong business! Only a couple replacement parts, the license plate bracket, the chrome part with the Fiat logo on the grill and tow hook cover. Rest was all repaint, refinish. Fiat of Kirkland says they have the parts, so should be easy peasy. Dealing with insurance, not so easy peasy! Still waiting for liability decision between the two insurances. Lady ran a stop sign in front of me so not sure what the argument is. I used to handle this stuff for my company many years ago and insurances will fight to the bitter end to not accept liability responsibility.

Will you give a review of their service dept when all is fixed? We plan to use them for some services.

Wolfepaw
10-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Will you give a review of their service dept when all is fixed? We plan to use them for some services.

I can answer that one already and I assume you mean Fiat of Kirkland. I have a 500 Sport I have taken there many times and my 500L has been in a couple of times. I've had no issue with the work they perform on routine oil changes. Never spent more than about 45 minutes total there for one of those, once it was as little as 20 minutes. My oil service on the 500L the first time took almost two hours. They didn't know about the clamp that has to be replaced for the first service. Mine was the first 500L they had done a service on. Other services have been quick and without issues. They have an older gentlemen running around the service lanes making sure you are taken care of and he is awesome.

I've always been treated well and the service folks have always kept me up to date quickly. They lack a lot of knowledge about the 500L and the service bulletins, but being a new model I expected that.

Luv2byte
10-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Yes, sorry, fiat of Kirkland service dept. the initial things I had done to the car Brennan (service mgr) seemed very nice & did well keeping me update on things. I was hoping you also had good experience w them too, I wanted another opinion. it's where we will probably do the bulk of our services for LOF. Their finance dept is the only bad experience with them so far, sales staff were very good as was the one brief experience with service dept.

Wolfepaw
10-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Yes, sorry, fiat of Kirkland service dept. the initial things I had done to the car Brennan (service mgr) seemed very nice & did well keeping me update on things. I was hoping you also had good experience w them too, I wanted another opinion. it's where we will probably do the bulk of our services for LOF. Their finance dept is the only bad experience with them so far, sales staff were very good as was the one brief experience with service dept.

My 500 Sport was a good experience with sales, no finance there, bought it outright. The salesperson called me multiple times to follow up and make sure I got my plates etc. He showed up over at service for my first oil change to makes sure it went ok and smooth. That person no longer works there and works at the Mercedes dealership now....he kept in touch. Given how well he handled me, no shock he went where he went. If I was in the market for an over priced luxury brand, I for sure would have went to him over at Mercedes. :)

My 500L was the opposite with sales, handed me off to finance person and I never heard from him again. Sales person knew nothing about the 500L and seemed like he just wanted to get me off to finance. He spent 75% of the test drive on his phone talking to other people. No one else was around to get a different person to handle me. No contact about my plates or anything from him. I had to drive down there and stand in the service center until someone found my plates. Brian in finance handled me for that piece and I had no issues with him. He kept in touch with me regularly because my trade in had a lost title and GMAC had a clerical error to correct. I think someone else mentioned they had issues with him, may have been you.

Luv2byte
10-02-2013, 08:36 PM
My 500 Sport was a good experience with sales, no finance there, bought it outright. The salesperson called me multiple times to follow up and make sure I got my plates etc. He showed up over at service for my first oil change to makes sure it went ok and smooth. That person no longer works there and works at the Mercedes dealership now....he kept in touch. Given how well he handled me, no shock he went where he went. If I was in the market for an over priced luxury brand, I for sure would have went to him over at Mercedes. :)

My 500L was the opposite with sales, handed me off to finance person and I never heard from him again. Sales person knew nothing about the 500L and seemed like he just wanted to get me off to finance. He spent 75% of the test drive on his phone talking to other people. No one else was around to get a different person to handle me. No contact about my plates or anything from him. I had to drive down there and stand in the service center until someone found my plates. Brian in finance handled me for that piece and I had no issues with him. He kept in touch with me regularly because my trade in had a lost title and GMAC had a clerical error to correct. I think someone else mentioned they had issues with him, may have been you.

Sales person was great up to the moment we drive off the lot then nothing, which is fine, their job is technically done by then. I will say our sales person was quite good. She did everything well, including pointing out that the cooler box isn't really a cooler in the US, she also showed us every storage pocket, lifted the seats to show us all positions and insisted on paring our phones for us so it was ready when we got in it.

Brian was super slow for signing, took longer than any car we've purchased before. We got our registration in the mail, in about 10 days which was crazy fast. But when I got our maintenance plan it seemed wrong or we were taken big time. We paid over 3x the value of the document for the plan! I didn't get any service from Brian, had to hunt him down about it, then he turfed it to someone else a week after I tried to inquire about it, that person was just as horrible about calling me back for resolution. I like maintenance plans - pay today's price for next X years for LOF, drive up & drive away. Easy. You save money up front & then each time price goes up it doesn't affect you. But I couldn't get help on it until I got ahold of a super nice guy at Chrysler headquarters, be finally were able to meet up on the phone yesterday. As of this morning, a month later, issue resolved. Good ol Christian boy Brian not so Christian (we learned at signing he goes to same church as my inlaws).

But since I see each oerson's performance individually not as a whole company I was hoping their self ice dept to be good. I was reserving judgment since I had limited exposure to them, it was a positive one but was hoping for another opinion. Good to hear it is also positive.

Curious
10-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Sales people need to understand that after the sale it's the service that counts. Without that they get zero repeat customers and a bad reputation? And not to forget, without customers they would not have a job.