PDA

View Full Version : Mini Cooper GP vs Abarth Review

SLOWAbarth
09-17-2013, 09:51 AM
SO...my best bud just got a Mini GP and we have been racing against eachother since the trip home from the dealership.

The Mini cooper GP is 39k and my Abarth was $26k...it's hard to compare the two because the GP is just so much more expensive and you get more power, better aerodynamics, better brakes, stickier tires, bilstein coilovers etc.

On the highway, the GP pulls about 5 car lengths (abarth size car lengths lol) on my Abarth...I was honestly pissed because I have an intake, MM module, pulley, actuator etc.... we were dead even at the top of 3rd and then boom he leaves me in 4th.

I drove the GP on the same race track that I tested my Abarth on, The GP runs a 7 seconds faster lap....which is amazingly faster... better tires and suspension.

Everytime I look at his GP, it makes me HATE my Abarth. The Abarth is a "cooler" car in my eyes, as it's not so common. Mini Coopers will always be Mini Coopers, GP or not. It's a damn Mini lol

The Mini Cooper GP Aero kit offers a 90%, yes 90% in drag reduction over the stock design. It's basically a complete flat bottom car.

Even if I put slicks, brakes and suspension on my Abarth, It could only realistically drop 3-4 seconds on the track. Which is not good enough in my eyes...

At the end of the day, I WANT A GP! I found one for 35k with 2k miles, they come with a fully built motor and a twin scroll turbocharger.

Has anyone else played with a GP? There are only 400 in the US.

Here is the MINI GP in action, this was the stock Mini lap record at our local track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIqMn6INLEg

Here is the Abarth at full speed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNGXXrBTFCg

MAZ
09-17-2013, 10:15 AM
In all fairness;
Is the GP and the Abarth really comparable with a $10k price tag difference?

I was under the impression that the GP was a 'special build' much like a Golf R, the 'RS' badged Audis or Sti whatever
For example:
Mini, Cooper S, GP
Golf, Gti, R
A5, S5, RS5
Whereas Fiat doesn't offer a third 'highest' performance tier?

amiwrong?

SLOWAbarth
09-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Is the GP and the Abarth comparable with a $10k difference in price?
I was under the impression that the GP was a 'special build' much like a Golf R, 'RS' Audi or Sti whatever
For example:
Mini, Cooper S, GP
Golf, Gti, R
A5, S5, RS5
Whereas Fiat doesn't has this third performance tier?
amiwrong?

I mean, they even have it likes this:
Cooper, Cooper S, Cooper JCW and then the GP.

The Cooper S basically spanks the Abarth lol

I stated in my post that "it's a hard comparison because the GP is much more expensive" but it's still interesting

MAZ
09-17-2013, 10:38 AM
I mean, they even have it likes this:
Cooper, Cooper S, Cooper JCW and then the GP.

The Cooper S basically spanks the Abarth lol

I stated in my post that "it's a hard comparison because the GP is much more expensive" but it's still interesting
I would imagine that if you compared the Cooper S (or jcw) with the GP, you would prefer the GP.
If not, than the GP would be a failure.

Abarth vs GP (@+$10k?) Not exactly a fair matchup imo, So don't torture yourself, lol.

ScorpionSkins.com
09-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Everytime I look at his GP, it makes me HATE my Abarth. The Abarth is a "cooler" car in my eyes, as it's not so common. Mini Coopers will always be Mini Coopers, GP or not. It's a damn Mini lol

I'm the former owner of a Mini Cooper S (turbocharged model). I'd argue there were a few things Mini did better (interior luxury/quality, handling), and the earlier Mini S supercharged models were fantastic for a go-kart style driving experience. Unfortunately, I found the reliability and engineering quality of the Minis to be horrible. I had the transmission fail on me within 85,000km. Fuel pump issues, carbon buildup problems (misfires), turbo oil line leaks, suspension component failure, the infamous tensioner issue which led to catastrophic engine failure was constantly on my mind (which luckily I didn't encounter myself in the short time that I owned it). The worst of it all was BMWs ridiculous stance on parts and service. No bearing kits were available for the transmission, which means when it failed, it couldn't be rebuilt. The majority of components required direct replacement ($8000 was the quote for my transmission, excluding labour).

Granted, we haven't had Abarths available to us in North America long enough to offer a direct comparison, but even on the Euro forums, Abarth issues are relatively minor in comparison and major issues are few and far between. When I was researching Fiat reliability in comparison to the Mini, the Mini was listed as one of the top 10 worst brands to own for vehicle reliability, while Fiat was in the top 100 best.

The Abarth may not be the fastest vehicle on the block, but in my eyes it's got an engine worth its weight, and it's the technology of the vehicle I admire over the final top speed and vehicle characteristics. Although you bring up valid points, I'd love to see what an Abarth could be like with $13,000 worth of additional development and uprated components.

My personal recommendations as a former Mini owner who dealt with more headaches than vehicle enjoyment: Avoid the Mini brand entirely.

mudking
09-17-2013, 10:44 AM
I would still take the Abarth @23k, and add $15k of upgrades and have some $$ left over for an over the Top Picture session of my Mini Cooper GP challenger....that's talking fair IMO... In all reality though the Mini Cooper GP is an awesome out of the box experience but the price point is just way too far out of the Abarth's starting point.

hownowcb
09-17-2013, 11:03 AM
In all reality though the Mini Cooper GP is an awesome out of the box experience but the price point is just way too far out of the Abarth's starting point.

To which I would add: The current range of Mini's are all just butt-ugly!

DesmosDromos
09-17-2013, 11:05 AM
I traded a Mk V VW R32 on my Abarth. Was the R32 faster and quicker? Probably, but the Abarth is just so much more fun! It's even fun at low speeds. If I wanted to spend more and go faster there are other choices, but the Abarth puts a smile on my face every drive like no car I've had in a long time. I have no regrets and don't sweat comparo tests.

That said, it's all personal taste and what you're willing to compromise on. Hey, if you want the hot MINI and have the cash, go for it!

whatebahw
09-17-2013, 11:30 AM
... it's all personal taste and what you're willing to compromise on. Hey, if you want the hot MINI and have the cash, go for it!

Yeah, The Abarth was already more than I really wanted to spend. I can't see forking out another $15K personally. I like the mini but spending that kind of cash opens up the door for lots of different options. For that scratch I'd be looking hard at things like Subaru STI WRT or even the Cadillac ATS.

mudking
09-17-2013, 11:31 AM
To which I would add: The current range of Mini's are all just butt-ugly!
LOL....I didn't want to call it names, butt thanks!

haivle
09-17-2013, 11:38 AM
For 40gs I'm sure an sti would put 5 cars length on a mini gp

haivle
09-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Maybe u should race a mini s with ur car and see if it can pull on u at all :)

BigT
09-17-2013, 11:51 AM
I kinda wanna see what the SRT team squeezes out of the dodge Dart and if they use the same multiair engine.

trevc
09-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Apples and Oranges - +$13K. That's 50%!

FTY
09-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Apples and Oranges - +$13K. That's 50%!

Agreed... The GP is a track oriented car as the Abarth is a street oriented car. Manufacturer tire choices seem to point in that direction and greatly help the GP.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-mini-john-cooper-works-gp-test-review

Aside from making excuses for the Abarth....which many of us would vehemently defend....its definitely apple to oranges.

SLOWAbarth
09-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Ya, that's why I named it review and I state that it's hard to compare the Abarth to GP lol... anyways I guess I'm just looking for more of a track oriented platform. Please don't get me wrong, I rip the Abarth and LOVE the Abarth. My inner child says "MORE"... but I have a C6 Z06 track car but I rarely drive it... The Abarth is more practical and I guess I will just have to keep on modding.

Brakes, stiffer suspension and tires will make it more like the GP's performance, which seems to be what I'm looking for!

haivle
09-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Yeh I own a 997 s I think that car is fast as hell but I stopped driving it its not as fun as the abarth. I'm gonna trade it in for a 2014 yellow stingray vette, trading 911 in not abarth :)

BigT
09-17-2013, 02:10 PM
You gonna get the Z51 package on the stingray?

JoeB
09-17-2013, 02:24 PM
I saw a GP on the road last weekend. It's insanely cool, and if that's what you really want, go for it! Personally, if I were going to drop that kind of money on a car with no back seats, I'd look for a nice used Boxster or Cayman. Your results may vary. ;-)

elorablue
09-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Ya. A friend of mine has a Boxster Spyder. He kicks my ass. But my house is nicer and my girlfriend is prettier :rofl:

haivle
09-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Yes I'm planning on trading the 911 in for a yellow black wheels z51 package stingray, for the new vette z51 package is a must for 3gs more

Lou Caputo
09-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Ya. A friend of mine has a Boxster Spyder. He kicks my ass. But my house is nicer and my girlfriend is prettier :rofl:

All arguments after this are now invalid! :rofl:

2Cool
09-17-2013, 02:47 PM
I owned an '02 MCS which I had installed a quaife limited slip in and as many mods as allowed by STX class autocross. Enjoyed the heck out of the car, won the regional championship for '04. Overall I think I prefer my Abarth though, just for sound and feel.

As for the GP, I really like this quote from the Car and Driver review: "The Mini John Cooper Works GP generates impressive performance numbers, but itís tough to justify the carís $9150 premium when you recognize that the performance gains are largely the product of $1000 worth of track tires." That is one hell of a markup.

redred
09-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Agreed... The GP is a track oriented car as the Abarth is a street oriented car.

Completely agree. Buy a base model Abarth and spend the extra cash on upgrades if you want to track it.

Have to admit that the video of the GP on the track did not seem all that impressive. It was all over the place and very jittery looking to me.

Put good tires, suspension and brakes in an Abarth with proper harness and seat and you will have a blast on the track with that car.

ScorpionSkins.com
09-17-2013, 02:49 PM

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads18/ugly_trailer_park_woman1301926730.jpg

09-17-2013, 03:39 PM
All I needed to read here is Mini... And then I stopped reading, couldnt force me to own one and zero interest in driving any crappy cars like them.

mr_robs
09-17-2013, 03:42 PM
I traded a Mk V VW R32 on my Abarth. Was the R32 faster and quicker? Probably, but the Abarth is just so much more fun! It's even fun at low speeds. If I wanted to spend more and go faster there are other choices, but the Abarth puts a smile on my face every drive like no car I've had in a long time. I have no regrets and don't sweat comparo tests.

That said, it's all personal taste and what you're willing to compromise on. Hey, if you want the hot MINI and have the cash, go for it!

Like those 370Z's we talked about at the bbq joint right? ;)

Completely agree. Buy a base model Abarth and spend the extra cash on upgrades if you want to track it.

Have to admit that the video of the GP on the track did not seem all that impressive. It was all over the place and very jittery looking to me.

Put good tires, suspension and brakes in an Abarth with proper harness and seat and you will have a blast on the track with that car.

Picking up some Potenza RE760 Sport's, and im going to have to copy your brake upgrades!

Abarth Five O
09-17-2013, 03:47 PM
I must admit the Mini Cooper JCW GP is a fine looking machine. But for $10k more you can add a lot of good aftermarket mods to the Abarth to get over 200 hp, make it handle as good or better than the GP, and have as much or more fun driving it.

shagghie
09-17-2013, 04:01 PM
I must admit the Mini Cooper JCW GP is a fine looking machine. But for $10k more you can a lot of good aftermarket mods to the Abarth to get over 200 hp, make it handle as good or better than the GP, and have as much or more fun driving it.

Hell you can just add a bigger turbo, and put on some slicks and you are there, as long as you have the rear torsion bar and uprated pads, I bet you could hang with the GP, and still come in under the price differential. Just putting on 14lb wheels and 215 Z2's completely transformed the car, and totally shifted the balance of power at the autocross from where it was prior to just that change alone. I can't imagine my car with slicks at this point... that would require some brass balls to drive at the limits at that point.

elorablue
09-17-2013, 04:35 PM
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads18/ugly_trailer_park_woman1301926730.jpg

Hey, where'd you get a picture of her? Isn't she lovely.

Abarth Five O
09-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Hell you can just add a bigger turbo, and put on some slicks and you are there, as long as you have the rear torsion bar and uprated pads, I bet you could hang with the GP, and still come in under the price differential. Just putting on 14lb wheels and 215 Z2's completely transformed the car, and totally shifted the balance of power at the autocross from where it was prior to just that change alone. I can't imagine my car with slicks at this point... that would require some brass balls to drive at the limits at that point.

I hear you man! Go for a spare set of slicks and wheels for autoX!

sjmst
09-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Agreed... The GP is a track oriented car as the Abarth is a street oriented car. Manufacturer tire choices seem to point in that direction and greatly help the GP.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-mini-john-cooper-works-gp-test-review

Aside from making excuses for the Abarth....which many of us would vehemently defend....its definitely apple to oranges.
Agreed. I have not driven a Mini, but from what I have read, the Abarth is easier to live with. I don't race, so 0-60 times and top speeds are not crucial to me. Is an Abarth reliable, comfortable and Fun to drive? Check, check and DOUBLE check.

AnthonyV
09-17-2013, 08:31 PM
As has been already mentioned, even by the OP, the glaring difference here starts with a 13k price tag. The rest of the comparison after that pretty much becomes moot. But just for the sake of bench racing and to look at things a little deeper........ (and, not that it matters but I really like both cars quite a bit haha)

For starters, Let's look at power and weight (all rough specs taken from info online) Abarth 160hp/170tq weight 2500lbs GP 211hp (and more importantly)260trq 2612lbs. Straight away the advantage here goes to the Mini. Why do I bother pointing this out even? Well, I think especially for the sake of the data we're reviewing here it's most relevant, and I think this is the one half of the car's two largest advantages, especially for the track we're looking at, which from what I can tell, looks to be pretty damn fast, (mostly 3rd and 4th gear), this is really going to lean towards the Mini's strength's here (regardless of OP's handful of bolt on mods). I think the 7 second difference would have been a bit smaller on a more technical track.

2nd let's look at the other major factor here, tires. The GP comes with Kumho Ecsta V700 semi slick tires. The Abarth, Pirelli P zero nero 3 season tires. While a decent road tire, they are massively different. Looking at the 7 second split here, we don't know how may laps we're run in the Abarth before it achieved it's fastest lap. The reason that's important here, is that while the GP's tires not only generate massive amounts more of mechanical grip straight away (a huge advantage in itself) they will also deal with successive laps much better. 3 seasons tires like the Abarth's will start to "give up the ghost" within a handful of laps as their not designed to cope with the heat generated at a race track, especially after successive laps. I.E once they cross their heat threshold they only start generating progressively less grip.

So without even looking any further, I think if we we're doing this comparison on a slightly slower more technical track, and if the Abarth was wearing the same tires as the GP, the margin we're looking at here would be quite a bit smaller I think.

I think for even a margin of the price difference in the car's you could have a Abarth that would be able to match the GP, I think if you used the remainder of the difference (doing the right things, not just anything), you would wind up with a car that would be competitive with performance car's with a substantially heftier price tag.

Anyway, all in all, it's all just bench racing. I think both car's are awesome machines, I really like the GP, and I think it's neat that OEM's even offer up a car off the showroom floor like that. That said, I don;t think it should be discounted that the Abarth without tons of work even, could be quite the venerable track weapon.

Seafarer61
09-18-2013, 02:49 AM
No matter how exciting a car is, if it's unreliable, it might as well be chocolate-covered feces. My friend...granted, this is just one fella...LOVES the Mini Cooper but finally waved the white flag after the SECOND engine rebuild. I guess something like that can happen to anyone in any car but when I went looking for a small fun-to-drive car, it only took me about 30 minutes with google to realize the Mini Cooper was not for me.

Nonetheless, people are buying 'em so there must be something going right with the make. Having said that, I've never really understood comparisons between cars with such massive difference in price. A $22,500 Abarth with $12K invested would be an absolute monster but it makes more sense to base the FTD (fun to drive) factor on performance per dollar...in this scenario, the Abarth excels....plus you won't see yourself coming and going. Down here in south Florida, I only see another Abarth about once a month. Love it! I see more Aston Martins in one week than I do 500's in a month. Minis? They're like cockroaches. :p

JoeB
09-18-2013, 04:12 AM
I don't see many Abarths yet, either, but there's plenty of 500s running around here. It's fun be an Abarth early-adopter right now, but rest assured there will be all manner of Fiats on the road soon enough, and I look forward to it.

deathshead
09-18-2013, 09:15 AM
All this shows me if that you how much of a "bandaid" the piggy back boxes are..

39K is Evo-STI-SRT-8-Mustang GT, Plus lots more higher classed cars money.

With a REAL tune on the Abarth things would be drastically different.
Even if you dropped $5k into the Abarth your still way ahead money wise and performance as well.

There is always going to be someone faster than you, And also think about this, many of us here have come from MUCH more powerful cars and are perfectly happy. The Abarth is a great BASE to sculpt into what you want it to be. in 100% stock form the Abarth is slow, but every little mod the cars respond very well too, If a gen1 r32 or a 04 gto cant lose me off their back bumper on open road with just an intake and catless dp.
just think what 200-230hp in this chassis will be like.

Crazy Otto
09-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Watched 30 seconds of the mini driver.

First comment - you are not "road racing" you are doing a driving event.

A good driver makes a huge diff. Fundamental mistakes watching the mini. Once you are past the apex if you are not unwinding steering lock and adding throttle you have not done it right.

If going fast is your priority then buy an e36 m3 and half cage it add a decent suspension. Can be done cheap and will run rings around any GP.

I think its ok to do a track day or 2 at 9/10s but the moment you start worrying about times then get yourself into something capable and safe.

Crazy Otto
09-18-2013, 04:08 PM
The abarth is a fun car for street but dont let fiats marketing fool you into thinking its a capable track car. Its decent yes. The issue here is center of gravity. I seriously worry that I could grip roll if im on a good dot r compound like hoosier a6.

Abarth67
09-18-2013, 06:47 PM
I hear you man! Go for a spare set of slicks and wheels for autoX!

I can hook you up with that one.

SLOWAbarth
09-19-2013, 12:28 AM
I can hook you up with that one.

Post some pics... Why are you selling them? What tires? How many sessions on the tires...

SLOWAbarth
09-19-2013, 12:30 AM
The abarth is a fun car for street but dont let fiats marketing fool you into thinking its a capable track car. Its decent yes. The issue here is center of gravity. I seriously worry that I could grip roll if im on a good dot r compound like hoosier a6.

If it was going to roll, I would've rolled It by now... I have done hours of HARD track time
In my Abarth, and have loaded the platform to the max... I opted out of the heavy sun roof so it would help with the center of gravity.

djhace
09-19-2013, 02:52 AM
your backseat has to go. there's none in the GP.

Abarth67
09-19-2013, 08:26 AM
See your PM. Thanks

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11660-Like-new-17-quot-white-OZ-Racing-wheels-with-slicks&highlight=hoosiers

LittleEvil
09-19-2013, 09:54 AM

lol now thats funny.

mjanowich
09-19-2013, 05:06 PM
$39,000!? That how much I paid for my Camaro SS. Unless you are a die hard Mini fan, there's no way to justify that much money for that car.

JoeB
09-19-2013, 06:13 PM
$39,000!? That how much I paid for my Camaro SS. Unless you are a die hard Mini fan, there's no way to justify that much money for that car.

Nope. It's for people already deep-heavy into Minis and only Minis, and rich folks looking for a new toy. Fortunately for BMW, there's enough of both to snap up its limited run.

redred
09-19-2013, 07:37 PM
There's an automatic version of the GP for sale currently at Universal City Mini here in LA. I wonder why it's still available??? ;) Who in their right mind would buy a "track-prepped" super Mini and stick and automatic gear box in it???

Abarth Five O
09-19-2013, 08:03 PM
If it had a 6 speed paddle shifter, may be I'd go for it. :joke:

James Hunt
09-19-2013, 09:32 PM
There's an automatic version of the GP for sale currently at Universal City Mini here in LA. I wonder why it's still available??? ;) Who in their right mind would buy a "track-prepped" super Mini and stick and automatic gear box in it???

Not a real GP. Gp's only came with a getrag 6 speed.

JoeB
09-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Oops. ProTip: Anybody can pull the backseat out of a JCW and slap a "GP" decal on.

Abarth619
09-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Yep there is always something faster. For 39K I'm sure there's much faster cars than the Mini GP. I've owned much faster cars than my Abarth, but nothing was quite as fun though, just enjoy it.

SLOWAbarth
09-20-2013, 10:58 AM
For 35k these days, you could pick up a C6Z06 or a E60 M5!!!! Anyways, I was just sharing how badass this little Mini GP is. I'll be tracking it alot and I LOVE my Abarth, which I will track as well. Alittle background on me, I'm a drivers coach for some race series so I'm obsessed with balance, braking, handling etc... My inner child screams GO BUY A 40K MINI GP! BUT at the end of the day, its f*ckn 40k MINI hahaha....

If you get the chance to drive one, DO IT! It will impress you

Besties
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss78/StuartsPNB/32DE44F0-60FE-40C0-8814-BAB67AE4276D-3456-000001715B954997_zpsd5c0a078.jpg (http://s563.photobucket.com/user/StuartsPNB/media/32DE44F0-60FE-40C0-8814-BAB67AE4276D-3456-000001715B954997_zpsd5c0a078.jpg.html)

haivle
09-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Lol yeah drive it for fun yes buy it for 40k nope, 40k can get u lots of nice weekend cars

Crazy Otto
09-20-2013, 04:30 PM
If it was going to roll, I would've rolled It by now... I have done hours of HARD track time
In my Abarth, and have loaded the platform to the max... I opted out of the heavy sun roof so it would help with the center of gravity.
Good news but what tires you running?

SLOWAbarth
09-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Good news but what tires you running?

Stock crap tires.... are you thinking it will role with better tires? I have some BFG slicks that I might test out on the car.

I had my car loaded with a 270lbs guy in the car, it did feel like it was going to roll but it didn't lol

Crazy Otto
09-24-2013, 09:15 PM
I think the car is ok on stock tires. You have r comps not slicks. Grip is much higher once tires properly set up. Report back if you end up trying the bfgs.

Fiatfan522
10-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Just saw this thread and had to comment on the fun factor and how important it is to me in a car. For me the Abarth offers the fun and personality that keeps me interested in a car. It's not overly controled by electronics or isolated/insolated within an inch of it's life. I've owned so many cars that I just get tired of. I think you get used to the speed of most cars(except maybe the insanely fast). At least that has been my experience. When you do a lot of driving you want something engaging. An old Buick would be quicker than a 5hp go-cart, but which one will make you smile an which one will put you to sleep. That's the Abarth for me. A car that is a fun driver's car, flaws and all. I've driven hundreds of different types of cars (I can prove it :)) and the most fun have never been the fastest. So for all those that might get passed in their Abarths by a faster, more expensive car I'd have to say at least you didn't have to spend a fortune to have so much fun. Love the Abarth for what it is. In a world that has less and less fun, raw, cheap(relatively), unapologetic little monster cars like the Abarth with gallons of personality enjoy what it is and the smiles it will bring.

JoeB
10-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Just saw this thread and had to comment on the fun factor and how important it is to me in a car. For me the Abarth offers the fun and personality that keeps me interested in a car. It's not overly controled by electronics or isolated/insolated within an inch of it's life. I've owned so many cars that I just get tired of. I think you get used to the speed of most cars(except maybe the insanely fast). At least that has been my experience. When you do a lot of driving you want something engaging. An old Buick would be quicker than a 5hp go-cart, but which one will make you smile an which one will put you to sleep. That's the Abarth for me. A car that is a fun driver's car, flaws and all. I've driven hundreds of different types of cars (I can prove it :)) and the most fun have never been the fastest. So for all those that might get passed in their Abarths by a faster, more expensive car I'd have to say at least you didn't have to spend a fortune to have so much fun. Love the Abarth for what it is. In a world that has less and less fun, raw, cheap(relatively), unapologetic little monster cars like the Abarth with gallons of personality enjoy what it is and the smiles it will bring.

I totally agree with this. The Chevy HHR SS Turbo I traded had a hundred more horsepower, and got the acceleration job done when necessary, but it wasn't near the amount of fun my roarty little Abarth is. There's an old saying, "nothing like driving a slow car fast". The Abarth is a little too powerful to accurately qualify for this adage (the 500 Sport would hit that spot), but we do have the ability to rev the crap out of 'em without breaking the sound barrier. Every drive for me is a private Grand Prix, and I love it!

Fiatfan522
10-21-2013, 12:38 PM
I totally agree with this. The Chevy HHR SS Turbo I traded had a hundred more horsepower, and got the acceleration job done when necessary, but it wasn't near the amount of fun my roarty little Abarth is. There's an old saying, "nothing like driving a slow car fast". The Abarth is a little too powerful to accurately qualify for this adage (the 500 Sport would hit that spot), but we do have the ability to rev the crap out of 'em without breaking the sound barrier. Every drive for me is a private Grand Prix, and I love it!

This is the reason the Abarth is such a wonderful car. Even something as seemingly small as the amazing sounding exhaust make it unique and top notch in the area of fun and personality. I'm coming from driving an 04 Accord 6-speed V-6 coupe; a car that is mechanical perfection and quite a bit quicker than the Abarth. But as it is the Accord has no personality. The engineers have isolated all the sounds and feelings from the driver. It's like it's telling you, "Don't worry about a thing driver, the car has everything under control." Very reasuring, but ultimately lowers the funfactor. Even with mods it's a quiet engine and the exhaust is silent. I never feel as though I'm part of it. I want a car that I can love to drive, that I have to think about when driving fast, and takes real involvement. A real car experience includes all those things in my mind. I had that when I used to own Saabs, but even they can't touch the fun of the Abarth in my mind. So that's my thoughts for what they're worth. I just like it when people love driving and are not simply being transported by an "appliance". Have a good day everyone.