PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light Came On, Madness Ensues!

Guyg74
09-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Hi All....haven't been by the site in a while, but wanted to gain some input on what happened to me this morning. New 2014 L Easy, 700 miles, bought it from FIAT in Manhattan 2 weeks ago and we love the car overall. However, this morning and in typical Monday fashion, my check engine light came on almost immediately as I was driving. 200 yards later I felt a "bump" in rpms and then no response moving forward from the acclerator (engine was revving but it was as if I was in neutral) as I pulled over. At that point I shifted into park, noticed the P was flashing. At that point, I couldn't move forward or in reverse, it had the same 'neutral' feel. Put it back in park, and then couldn't move it out of gear at all, couldn't press the button on the shifter, etc. I shut the car off for a second, and then couldn't restart it. Waited about 30 seconds, and it restarted, this time was able to put it in gear and move the car to get it home. Keep in mind, the check engine light was on throughout but drove about 1/4 mile for about 2 minutes only. Called the dealership and told them I don't have faith to bring it in to the city from NJ, even though I live only about 12 miles away. They told me to call FIAT roadside to get it towed in. Do you kind folks have any insight as to what the problem may be? I also, and probably unrelated, is that I've had some minor hard starting issues and the auto lock button flashing as mentioned in other threads. Thanks in advance for your help and comments!

FiatCares
09-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Hi All....haven't been by the site in a while, but wanted to gain some input on what happened to me this morning. New 2014 L Easy, 700 miles, bought it from FIAT in Manhattan 2 weeks ago and we love the car overall. However, this morning and in typical Monday fashion, my check engine light came on almost immediately as I was driving. 200 yards later I felt a "bump" in rpms and then no response moving forward from the acclerator (engine was revving but it was as if I was in neutral) as I pulled over. At that point I shifted into park, noticed the P was flashing. At that point, I couldn't move forward or in reverse, it had the same 'neutral' feel. Put it back in park, and then couldn't move it out of gear at all, couldn't press the button on the shifter, etc. I shut the car off for a second, and then couldn't restart it. Waited about 30 seconds, and it restarted, this time was able to put it in gear and move the car to get it home. Keep in mind, the check engine light was on throughout but drove about 1/4 mile for about 2 minutes only. Called the dealership and told them I don't have faith to bring it in to the city from NJ, even though I live only about 12 miles away. They told me to call FIAT roadside to get it towed in. Do you kind folks have any insight as to what the problem may be? I also, and probably unrelated, is that I've had some minor hard starting issues and the auto lock button flashing as mentioned in other threads. Thanks in advance for your help and comments!

I would definitely get it to a studio. I have some ideas but I dont want to diagnose it via the forum. Please let me know what the studio finds. Feel free to send me your VIN and studio name once it is there at the studio; I d like to keep an eye on this one...

Guyg74
09-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks Jonathan for the reply - it should be there tomorrow. I turned the car on to move it into the driveway and left it running for a bit and now there is no check engine light on so I hope they can still diagnose it. Keep you posted.

Luv2byte
09-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks Jonathan for the reply - it should be there tomorrow. I turned the car on to move it into the driveway and left it running for a bit and now there is no check engine light on so I hope they can still diagnose it. Keep you posted.

Have you read my thread? Similar issue. Tech is now working w Fiat engineers, no resolution.

Indie500L
09-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Sounds like a hydraulic failure bear in mind that there is an electric powered hydraulic pump that provides pressure to the pistons that move the gear shifts and clutches controlled by electrically operated valves controlled by computer. I think I said that right? As you can imagine there are plenty of places for a failure including low hydraulic fluid which I have no idea where that comes from or can be checked or refilled. YouTube has a great video on the dual Dry clutch transmission however if you search for it. Good Luck! We got our first DING left rear wheel well lip - looks to be right down to the gray primer. GRRRR

Guyg74
09-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks everyone...Latest is that the studio is working with FIAT to replace the automatic transmission control module

Guyg74
09-20-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks everyone...Latest is that the studio is working with FIAT to replace the automatic transmission control module

2-5 business days to get the new module, no loaner cars given, I'll be out of a car two out of the 4 weeks I've owned it.

Luv2byte
09-21-2013, 12:59 AM
No loaner? All of us that have cars in the shop have loaners...some even have a loaner that was decorated with pretty dealer decals. :dog:

Guyg74
09-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Update: Got the car back, seemed to be ok..not really used to the feeling of the AT since I've really only been a three pedal guy. Think this particular trans is unique in "feeling" than a conventional. Now this morning, started up and the had the P, R, N, D flashing again. Drove it around the block and it went away, but I'm still really concerned this thing still isn't right.

a511475
10-19-2013, 08:34 AM

I have a 500L, with now 4000 miles.
I have been in she shop 4 times. The Battery went dead once. Then the lights on the inst panel were flickering and dim. Then the lights around the gear shift were cycling. Then the check engine light came on. The check engine light keeps coming on. They keep reflashing the computer. They know nothing about this car. They are learning by experience from people who bought the 500L. As soon as I can I am going to demand a replacement car. There are laws about selling stuff that does not work.

stilyong1
10-19-2013, 12:03 PM
I have a 500L, with now 4000 miles.
I have been in she shop 4 times. The Battery went dead once. Then the lights on the inst panel were flickering and dim. Then the lights around the gear shift were cycling. Then the check engine light came on. The check engine light keeps coming on. They keep reflashing the computer. They know nothing about this car. They are learning by experience from people who bought the 500L. As soon as I can I am going to demand a replacement car. There are laws about selling stuff that does not work. Good Luck
no problems yet 3500klms on car here in Canada don't know if that makes any differance where it's from ???

magpdx
10-31-2013, 05:35 PM
My car, purchased July 16 with 264 miles on and now has 950 miles on it as of Oct 31 because it has been in shop for two battery dead events, one jump start and one tow. In addition check engine light comes on randomly and goes off mysteriously and leaves no code that the tech can read. It can happen while stopped at a red light, making a turn or just starting. The P, D, N and R lights flash and cycle. When the check engine light comes on the car seems to come to a dead stop for a nano second--i noticed this while the light came on while I was turning--the car would not go, then did. The Fiat 500L, which I had been looking forward to having has been a disappointment. I never know if the car is going to start or if it is going to stop dead in its tracks. the dealership has been responsive but I don't think they know how to fix the car and these on going problems. It has all the latest software updates.

Tweak
10-31-2013, 09:16 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you are having such problems! It is weird there is no stored or pending codes... hope they resolve it for you soon.