PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 returns Sunday: Singapore

Robert Nixon
09-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Singapore is a unique night time race under the lights. Can anyone stop Vettel and Red Bull from winning the championship for hte 4th year in a row? They have to start now if Ferrari or Mercedes want to do anything this year.

NBC Sports Channel showings, times are Eastern--

Friday practice: 9:30AM (re-run 1:30AM Saturday)

Qualifying: Sunday 1:00 AM (not live due to NBCSC live soccer on Saturdays)

Pre-Race Show: Sunday 7:30AM
RACE LIVE: Sunday 8:00 AM

Race Re-Runs: Sunday 2:00PM
Monday 9:30PM

Here's the Formula 1 website previews:
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2013/9/14977.html

Robert Nixon
09-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Well after first two practices we have Red Bull and Mercedes clearly leading the pack. With Singapore being a tight street circuit, I'd have to put money on these two most likely scenarios:

1: Poll winner leads it start to finish. Red Bull was faster in practice 2, but Mercedes was faster in practice 1, so it all comes down to who qualifies 1st on Saturday.
2: Singapore has a regular habit of accidents and safety car periods, so this is the one thing that might mix things up a bit.

No discredit to Red Bull for once again having the fastest car and drivers all season so far for the 4th year in a row, but seeing someone else take some points away from Vettel would at least make the rest of the season a bit interesting!

At some point this week Massa from Ferrari said something about not racing for Alonso since Massa will leave Ferrari after the season, but judging by his 12th or 16th in practice today, he's not helping his case if he wants a drive with another team in F1 next year. I didn't catch all the practice time, so maybe there was a mechanical issue beyond his control with the car today?

Live race 0730 Sunday morning Eastern, with a 7AM half hour feature on the movie RUSH, which will hit theaters on the 27th!

abarth&911
09-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Yes, the Bull again. I’m hoping for some change for qualification, we need Vettel to not score point or not much that the championship is kept alive for a while.
Otherwise it will be done deal pretty soon. Webber is Ok to score point, I would like for him to win some race this year, if not, than he should be able next year, driving for Porsche in endurance.
The Le Mans 24 will be nice…

Robert Nixon
09-22-2013, 05:32 PM
well, if you watched the race you know that it was Vettel all the way, with almost no question about it other than Rossberg almost getting him off the line to the first corner. And there was a safety car that brought the field back to Vettel around midway, but he still ran away, winning the race by over 30 seconds.

Alonso make a spectacular move off the grid and moved up from 7th to 3rd coming out of the 1st or 2nd corner, just an incredible move to be able to do that. Unfortunately from there he was only able to get up to 2nd for the majority of the race all the way to the end.

Kimi ended up third after fighting back from a not so great qualifying also, so there you had it in a nutshell, Vettel, Alonso, Raikonnen, with Vettel pretty much unbeatable. I don't see anyone challenging him the rest of the way, count on him getting a 4th Championship in a row.

In the closing laps Webber had various issues, culminating with his car on fire on the last lap, and he ended with a DNF, more bad luck while Vettel has no drama.

JoeB
09-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Then this happened. Me-thinks Webber was a little hot and tired when he decided to run out onto an active racetrack and flag Alonso down.

http://www.blick.ch/sport/formel1/der-wahnsinn-von-singapur-im-video-id2450773.html

Robert Nixon
09-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Webber and Alonso were both given a reprimand for that. Unfortunately, this is the 3rd one of the year for Webber, so he gets an automatic 10 grid spot penalty in the next race.