PDA

View Full Version : Remote starter on a Abarth?

Juair
09-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Did someone have installed this on a Abarth??I have installed a remote starter on my old Fiat 500 Sport (automatic) and i think to do the same installation on my Abarth.On my 500 Sport i need to bought another Fiat keys to put the chip in the remote starter unit......but i think that the new module doesn't require a new Key!

BigDaddySRT
09-16-2013, 07:13 AM
Remote Start and Manual Transmission = Bad Idea

Scootin159
09-16-2013, 09:15 AM
Remote Start and Manual Transmission = Bad Idea

They make special remote starters for manual transmissions - I had one on my STI, and they work just fine. You have to "preset" the system, by setting the parking brake and then tapping the brake pedal twice. You then turn off the ignition (but the engine continues to run), take out the key and leave the vehicle. Once the dome light turns off, the system will stop the engine until you press the remote starter button to restart it.

The catches with this system are 1) it's about 2x as expensive as an automatic transmission one, 2) they're much harder to find and install, and 3) you have to remember to "preset" it before you can use it. Because of this a lot of people end up getting the standard automatic transmission ones installed (probably not even knowing manual transmission models exist) - which IS a bad idea.

BigDaddySRT
09-16-2013, 10:17 AM
They make special remote starters for manual transmissions - I had one on my STI, and they work just fine. You have to "preset" the system, by setting the parking brake and then tapping the brake pedal twice. You then turn off the ignition (but the engine continues to run), take out the key and leave the vehicle. Once the dome light turns off, the system will stop the engine until you press the remote starter button to restart it.

The catches with this system are 1) it's about 2x as expensive as an automatic transmission one, 2) they're much harder to find and install, and 3) you have to remember to "preset" it before you can use it. Because of this a lot of people end up getting the standard automatic transmission ones installed (probably not even knowing manual transmission models exist) - which IS a bad idea.

It all comes down to accepting the Liability when the Vehicle is Auto Start with the Vehicle in Gear, and said Vehicle drives through the Garage Door or into the House.

Scootin159
09-16-2013, 10:47 AM
It all comes down to accepting the Liability when the Vehicle is Auto Start with the Vehicle in Gear, and said Vehicle drives through the Garage Door or into the House.

Point is that with the proper system.... you can't remote start it while it's in gear.

trevc
09-16-2013, 11:23 AM
I was always taught for safety when parking a manual trans car as well as setting the emergency brake you should also put the car in 1st gear.
With a remote starter you cannot do this. It's like leaving an auto in Neutral instead of Park. Not a good idea at all.

Juair
09-16-2013, 06:00 PM
On my old Neon Srt-4 i have a remote starter and work very well.....to preset i need to engage the emergency brake,put the transmission on neutral position, push the start/stop button on the remote,turn off the ignition (but engine continues to run)and leave the vehicule and push the remote button again to stop the engine and preset the vehicule!!With this remote starter you can't remote start it while it's in gear.

It's not necessery to always put the cars in 1st gear....the emergency brake work very well ......but when the car is on a little slope i engaged the 1st or R gear!!!

NoTec
09-16-2013, 07:34 PM

Manual Safe Remote Starters have fail safes which make this impossible when installed correctly.
If an owner decides to attempt this install himself and does not know what he or she is doing, they deserve what is coming to them.

Juair
09-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Manual Safe Remote Starters have fail safes which make this impossible when installed correctly.
Agreed!! The remote starter will be installed by a specialized shop!

Me rod
09-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Jeeze, what a bunch of scaremongers on this thread! Fit any remote system you want, manual or auto.

1. Don't leave you car in gear when parked
2. Use the parking/hand brake

Even if you do forget and leave it in gear and start it up, because the hand brake is on it will stall. Try it.

In fact, try it without the handbrake on, it will still stall.

haivle
09-17-2013, 07:48 PM
I went to futureshop and the tech said he can't install the remote start Cus I have factory alarm :(

DuckDodgers
09-17-2013, 09:50 PM
I was always taught for safety when parking a manual trans car as well as setting the emergency brake you should also put the car in 1st gear.
With a remote starter you cannot do this. It's like leaving an auto in Neutral instead of Park. Not a good idea at all.

The Owners manual prefers REVERSE, but also allows First as a valid choice.

BigDaddySRT
09-18-2013, 06:57 AM
The Owners manual prefers REVERSE, but also allows First as a valid choice.

With as fragile as Reverse is in the C510... I wouldn't use Reverse anymore than having to back up if that.