PDA

View Full Version : Abarths are enablers!

Lou Caputo
09-15-2013, 09:03 PM
So, after just four days of ownership, I've started to notice a trend every time I drive my car. I'll zip away from a light or stop sign, pretty much winding out the gears until I reach the speed limit, and then just cruise along at a leisurely pace, enjoying the sound of the exhaust system. Then, suddenly I'm surrounded by cars desperately trying to pass me at break neck speed. What strikes me as strange about this, is I'm the one speeding away from the light, but THEY'RE the ones breaking the speed limit as they roar past me! It's crazy, but they can't stand the fact that a small car left them behind. So, in effect, the Abarth is what's making those people speed! :onthego: They just can't help themselves, and my Abarth is what's enabling their behavior....which is just fine by me!

Dr. FIAT
09-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Yep, happens to me every day. SUV's and big trucks are the best example. A LOT of rolling mass to accelerate, and can't keep up. Then they roar by me after the interstate on-ramp. Then burn fuel at ungodly rates. Me? Sipping gas like champagne!

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
09-15-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm glad this is not just happening to me, at first for a month or so I thought it was my imagination but it is VERY common. I think it has increased since I installed the RRM exhaust.

melanzane
09-15-2013, 11:03 PM
I have exactly the same happen. Usually trucks and SUVs will gun it. It really is an interesting psychological phenomenon of those drivers as well.

A few years back I read that the major auto companies have commissioned several psychological profiling studies of customers and which categories of cars they bought. The findings about large SUV drivers was amusing to read, and also a little bit sad. I certainly am not anti-SUV, but after I read that article, my eyes opened and i started seeing that the findings appeared to be spot on in many instances.

Some types of autos don't telegraph all that much about their drivers, but others really are neon signs. As to Abarth drivers, I can't figure them out other than they love to drive.

JoeB
09-15-2013, 11:19 PM
Yes, I've noticed the truck/SUV phenomenon as well. My last car was a bright red Chevy HHR SS, which looks like a little hot rod Suburban. It was fast, and nobody ever bothered me. My Abarth is a completely different story: It's fast, loud, and seems to piss certain types of people off! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this..it's quite bewildering.

Corrnaus
09-15-2013, 11:26 PM
The Abarth def does attract that kind of attention and I think it is envy from fellow motorist as well as a small PEN1$ complex, the larger you car the more your compensating for something..... Back to Abarth driving stories

I had a msg on my phone a few days ago from the local police saying to give them a call back for a not emergency matter. I had NO! clue what it was about. So finally got in touch with them and it was because someone had called me in a month earlier for what they would described as "reckless driving".

This reckless driving was just me safely passing other cars on a 2 lane highway. Not crossing on a double yellow, only when i know its safe. Plus this car is so my fun to pass in....You drop it down a gear with sport mode on and the pass is completed very quickly. So it took the police a month to finally contact me to ask if I recall that specific day, nothing is going to happen, just be safe and doing kill anyone.

I can really recall that specific drive as a handful of people were going under the limit is 80km. Most people go 90 to 95. I have always done that speed without ever having an issue. So when I have a chance to pass I will.

What I did mention to the officer was that recently on that road I was waiting to pass a Toyota Echo that was going about 5km under the limit, so I was close behind looking to pass, popped out, nope cant go yet wait about another km and it was safe so I went for it. As I move over and step on it, as I am getting up to the Echo's back door, the bitch starts moving into the oncoming lane with me almost forcing me onto the shoulder. I got passed without incident and with a massive middle finger out my window, that is reckless driving, not making a safe pass on another vehicle.

Lets just hope I dont get another call, cause I am not going to stop dropping it into 4th, massing the foot and passing people

ScorpionSkins.com
09-16-2013, 01:46 AM
As to Abarth drivers, I can't figure them out...

It'd be far too easy to tick quite a few people off right now. :chicken:

Aussie
09-16-2013, 03:55 AM
Same thing happens to me all the time. It NEVER happened to me before than in my regular sedans. I notice people behind me trying to get in front of me when coming to a red light. Like I'm going to take off from the lights THAT slowly.

Lou Caputo
09-16-2013, 09:32 AM
The Abarth def does attract that kind of attention and I think it is envy from fellow motorist as well as a small PEN1$ complex, the larger you car the more your compensating for something..... Back to Abarth driving stories

I had a msg on my phone a few days ago from the local police saying to give them a call back for a not emergency matter. I had NO! clue what it was about. So finally got in touch with them and it was because someone had called me in a month earlier for what they would described as "reckless driving".

This reckless driving was just me safely passing other cars on a 2 lane highway. Not crossing on a double yellow, only when i know its safe. Plus this car is so my fun to pass in....You drop it down a gear with sport mode on and the pass is completed very quickly. So it took the police a month to finally contact me to ask if I recall that specific day, nothing is going to happen, just be safe and doing kill anyone.

I can really recall that specific drive as a handful of people were going under the limit is 80km. Most people go 90 to 95. I have always done that speed without ever having an issue. So when I have a chance to pass I will.

What I did mention to the officer was that recently on that road I was waiting to pass a Toyota Echo that was going about 5km under the limit, so I was close behind looking to pass, popped out, nope cant go yet wait about another km and it was safe so I went for it. As I move over and step on it, as I am getting up to the Echo's back door, the bitch starts moving into the oncoming lane with me almost forcing me onto the shoulder. I got passed without incident and with a massive middle finger out my window, that is reckless driving, not making a safe pass on another vehicle.

Lets just hope I don't get another call, cause I am not going to stop dropping it into 4th, massing the foot and passing people

It always amazes me how people fight over real estate they don't own! Maybe the person driving the Echo was just upset cause, well...they're driving a Toyota Echo!

FTY
09-16-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm glad this is not just happening to me, at first for a month or so I thought it was my imagination but it is VERY common. I think it has increased since I installed the RRM exhaust.

+1

currysteph
09-16-2013, 06:37 PM
So, after just four days of ownership, I've started to notice a trend every time I drive my car. I'll zip away from a light or stop sign, pretty much winding out the gears until I reach the speed limit, and then just cruise along at a leisurely pace, enjoying the sound of the exhaust system. Then, suddenly I'm surrounded by cars desperately trying to pass me at break neck speed. What strikes me as strange about this, is I'm the one speeding away from the light, but THEY'RE the ones breaking the speed limit as they roar past me! It's crazy, but they can't stand the fact that a small car left them behind. So, in effect, the Abarth is what's making those people speed! :onthego: They just can't help themselves, and my Abarth is what's enabling their behavior....which is just fine by me!

too funny...Ive noticed this but never really paid it much thought....i just thought they were wanting to race me cause I have a tricked out Abarth.....

BigDaddySRT
09-17-2013, 11:50 AM
I read this thread two days ago.... and yesterday afternoon I saw the complete total opposite.

I wasn't driving my ABARTH... but I witnessed a White ABARTH driving like a complete tool bag.
(Bianco. Red Mirrors Stripes. 17" White Wheels. ABARTH White Vinyl Front Windshield)

Tailgating everyone when he had the chance... he even tailgated me at one point... he was passing in and out of traffic never once using his turn signal.... he was even passing drivers in the far right hand "slow lane" to pass people and then cutting people off to get back into traffic.

He wasn't racing anyone but himself... and making a fool of himself in Rush Hour Traffic.

I got pictures of the moron ABARTH ... makes it very tempting to call him out.

trevc
09-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen.

I read this thread two days ago.... and yesterday afternoon I saw the complete total opposite.

I wasn't driving my ABARTH... but I witnessed a White ABARTH driving like a complete tool bag.
(Bianco. Red Mirrors Stripes. 17" White Wheels. ABARTH White Vinyl Front Windshield)

Tailgating everyone when he had the chance... he even tailgated me at one point... he was passing in and out of traffic never once using his turn signal.... he was even passing drivers in the far right hand "slow lane" to pass people and then cutting people off to get back into traffic.

He wasn't racing anyone but himself... and making a fool of himself in Rush Hour Traffic.

FTY
09-17-2013, 12:22 PM

Must be an ex-BMW driver....post em up :)

BigDaddySRT
09-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Here's the last photo I have of said ABARTH exiting PGBT... notice he is trying to exit faster than the SUV that is exiting with him.

JoeB
09-17-2013, 02:32 PM
I remember these guys from my motorcycle days in SoCal. We call him The Squid. :boink:

Lou Caputo
09-17-2013, 02:48 PM

Well...there ARE exceptions to every rule!

BigDaddySRT
09-18-2013, 07:02 AM
Well...there ARE exceptions to every rule!

This Bianco ABARTH was most definitely on the extreme side... the extremely idiotic side.

stubtail
09-18-2013, 10:23 AM
Here's the last photo I have of said ABARTH exiting PGBT... notice he is trying to exit faster than the SUV that is exiting with him.

and you are taking a pic from your phone while driving on the highway... isn't there a throwing stones at glass ... parable around here some place
nopity

BigDaddySRT
09-18-2013, 11:24 AM
and you are taking a pic from your phone while driving on the highway... isn't there a throwing stones at glass ... parable around here some place
nopity

Whether you live in the Peoples Republic of California, or the Great State of Texas... driving like he was doing is illegal and considered wreckless driving.

It is not illegal in the State of Texas to grab your cell phone and take a picture of illegal activity.

"People who live in Glass Houses shouldn't throw stones" is an idiom and doesn't apply to me in this scenario.

I never drive "wreckless" and without regard to other peoples safety.
Tailgating, passing people illegally in the far right hand lane to get ahead of traffic, and then cutting people off.

As you were... thanks for the input.

stubtail
09-18-2013, 03:01 PM
nopity

you can have your Texas/CA issues but stupidity has nothing to do legality, but carry-on. I thought you were telling a story to learn a lesson from, but some already know everything it seems.

ophidia31
10-31-2013, 03:36 PM
First post here. Just got my abarth on tuesday and have noticed myself doing this as well. Not by choice either it just happens. lol Once I do get going after not stalling the car, I usually take off like a bat out of hell and then putt along at a leisurely fashion like nothing happened. Still need that starting practice, but once moving thats all gravy. Its weird that I can drive a manual like a racecar driver when Im moving, but cant get going under any sort of quickness from a stop. lol

djhace
10-31-2013, 03:45 PM

ha. you're in toronto. there's a clip on youtube of 3 cops measuring a parked volvo exhaust. lol.

Jono
10-31-2013, 05:46 PM

Thats not a he, thats my wife driving MY Abarth...................wait until I get home:cussing:

modular
10-31-2013, 06:17 PM
Thats not a he, thats my wife driving MY Abarth...................wait until I get home:cussing:

Bwahahahahahaha........uh-oh.

MikeThinks
10-31-2013, 06:44 PM
Whatever you do, don't put a racing stripe on your car...its like some kind of testosterone challenge to the mass of wanna be drivers. I find it amusing, I accelerate moderately and 10 seconds later some "thing" comes screaming by to be sure he gets to the red light a quarter of a mile ahead as quickly as possible....lather rinse repeat....

shagghie
10-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Priuses
Altimas
GTi's
M3's
WRX's

Those seem to be the only car/drivers that want to either play, or to just cock block, bitch, and do weird erratic maneuvers that could only be explained by emotional immaturity.

The pick up drivers and SUV's I don't worry about b/c they treat almost ANY car that way that they can see over.

hecbom
10-31-2013, 07:15 PM
Ditto it happens to me also in my Abarth but I refuse to play the game. My other set of wheels is a 1988 Vanagon camper I use for my cycling activities and camping. I don't know why, every a-hole out there wants to drag race this "house on wheels". What many don't know is that I modified the engine from a standard 2.1L to a 2.3L AND that made a huge difference in the low to mid range response. So when I take off from a stop or light, not dragging anyone, it is like pissing off a bunch of hornets..they all come by me like bat out of hell.

Tweak
10-31-2013, 09:01 PM
First post here. Just got my abarth on tuesday and have noticed myself doing this as well. Not by choice either it just happens. lol Once I do get going after not stalling the car, I usually take off like a bat out of hell and then putt along at a leisurely fashion like nothing happened. Still need that starting practice, but once moving thats all gravy. Its weird that I can drive a manual like a racecar driver when Im moving, but cant get going under any sort of quickness from a stop. lol

Welcome to the forum.

It is difficult NOT to take off like a "race car" driver with the Abarth especially if you throw a little mods into it...hehe. I burned down my front tires by 8K and replaced all 4 at 12K. :D

ophidia31
11-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the forum.

It is difficult NOT to take off like a "race car" driver with the Abarth especially if you throw a little mods into it...hehe. I burned down my front tires by 8K and replaced all 4 at 12K. :D

Theres too many things I want to do to this car. But being its my first manual vehicle Ive ever owned, I want to get used to it first before I do any type of performance mods. lol

nerdvana
11-01-2013, 04:44 PM
So, after just four days of ownership, I've started to notice a trend every time I drive my car. I'll zip away from a light or stop sign, pretty much winding out the gears until I reach the speed limit

If these are new Abarths, you guys might want to take a look at the break-in recommendations described in the manual...

modular
11-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Break the cars in how you're going to drive them. Babying a new engine is pointless now-a-days. It needs cylinder pressure to seat the rings well.

nerdvana
11-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Break the cars in how you're going to drive them. Babying a new engine is pointless now-a-days. It needs cylinder pressure to seat the rings well.

From page 16 of the Abarth User's Guide:

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission
and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles
(100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws
contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can
be detrimental and should be avoided.

(emphasis added)

Hey, look at that: Fiat disagrees with you.

The people I quoted above appeared to start hammering the throttle as soon as they drove off the lot. I merely (and correctly) suggested that they might not want to do that if their cars are brand-new.

modular
11-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Yup, read that too in my manual the day I brought the brand new A home.

streetsurfer
11-02-2013, 10:56 AM
• A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission
• Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles
• While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws

The people I quoted above appeared to start hammering the throttle as soon as they drove off the lot. I merely (and correctly) suggested that they might not want to do that if their cars are brand-new.

/\ Since we are picking and choosing. "Driving it like you stole it", so to speak, has worked perfectly for many many people with performance oriented vehicles....people who actually have more experience rather than simply more money, and know how to operate a vehicle so as not to cause premature engine wear. Most importantly in operating a newly built engine is to not cruise for extended periods at a steady rpm, and not excessively lug or over rev it (include proper warm up and cool down). These aren't the engines of the 1950's. The comments of neither person you quoted indicate near redlining the engine or hammering the throttle, but instead seem to coincide with the manuals break-in recommendation.

There are ways to take synthetic oils to the 25,000 mile mark and beyond, and some have gone a million in heavy trucks, but you won't find any owners/users manuals representing that. My point is not to ridicule at all for your adherence to one opinon, but to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat.....ways that work and excel in doing so.

The tires actually require a longer break in period than the engine/drivetrain.

Which model do you drive?

modular
11-02-2013, 11:03 AM
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m203/scottozanne/misc1/pointup_zps035ca230.jpg

Could not have said it better myself.

nerdvana
11-02-2013, 12:30 PM
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws

/\ Since we are picking and choosing. "Driving it like you stole it", so to speak, has worked perfectly for many many people with performance oriented vehicles....people who actually have more experience rather than simply more money, and know how to operate a vehicle so as not to cause premature engine wear. Most importantly in operating a newly built engine is to not cruise for extended periods at a steady rpm, and not excessively lug or over rev it. These aren't the engines of the 1950's. The comments of neither person you quoted indicate near redlining the engine or hammering the throttle, but instead seem to coincide with the manuals break-in recommendation.

There are ways to take synthetic oils to the 25,000 mile mark and beyond, and some have gone a million in heavy trucks, but you won't find any owners/users manuals representing that. My point is not to ridicule at all for your adherence to one opinon, but to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat.....ways that work and excel in doing so.

The tires actually require a longer break in period than the engine/drivetrain.

Which model do you drive?

You're right: the manual says "a long break-in" is not required. Immediately thereafter it clearly describes the short (300 mile) break-in period that is required. Not sure why you would disagree with that, unless you think you know more than the Fiat engineers for some reason.

I also think you missed the "while cruising" part of that "full-throttle" statement. IOW, driving along at a steady rate and THEN punching it; this is very different from launching hard and "driving like a bat out of hell" as one person mentioned. The other person used the phrase "winding out the gears". What does that mean if not taking it to redline?

Oddly enough I am aware that these are not the engines of the 1950s, what with us being well into the 21st century and all, but even with the improved machining and manufacturing processes we are still not at a point where zero break-in is required.

Not that it matters for this discussion, but I drive a 2013 Abarth. I stayed off the larger roads for the first 300 miles and varied speed and RPM consistently. You break your cars in however you want and I'll do the same. :-)

PS Long-haul trucks can go several hundred thousand miles on their oil because that oil is filtered to a much greater degree than what you'll find in a passenger car. They also have a lot more of it (volume helps).

Lou Caputo
11-02-2013, 01:37 PM
If these are new Abarths, you guys might want to take a look at the break-in recommendations described in the manual...

Thanks for your concern. Rest assured that I did NOT abuse the engine in my new Abarth, nor did I baby it. I don't know where you live, but around these parts, if I drove no more than 55 MPH for 300 miles I'd be a skid plate on a semi. Perhaps my definition of "zip" is different than yours, just as you might have a different interpretation of the words "rapidly" or "quickly". None of those words indicates redlining the engine per se, but they do indicate that I didn't crawl away from the light. Moreover, my saying I "wound out" the gears, doesn't indicate driving in excess of 55 MPH. I'm simply stating that I allowed the car to stretch it's legs ALL the way up to the speed limit of 45 MPH on local roads in my area. All of that being said, I do believe in breaking in a modern vehicle the way you will be driving it...within reason. So, I tried to adhere to the manual, but I didn't make myself crazy about it. BTW, I passed the 300 mile mark in a matter of days, so this was all moot quite some time ago.

One final thought...think about the car you drove on your test ride. I know I drove a few before I made my decision. Did you baby the test car and adhere to the recommendations for the break-in period? Most people don't, because they want to see what the car can do...and then someone else buys that car.

p38wannabe
11-03-2013, 12:02 AM
meh, the key word is "recommendation" not must ... I did not baby my 13' Abarth Cabrio either during the first 300 miles as I did not want to create a "lame Duck" ...