PDA

View Full Version : The triangle engine warning lght is on and ia m told to replace the engine oil.

cdysthe
09-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Hi,

I have a 2012 Fiat 500 with 3,800 miles on it. Today why driving on the highway the orange triangle warning light came on and when I start the car it says to replace the engine oil. Online it says that next service is at 8,000 miles which includes oil change which I am not even close to yet, so I am a little confused as to why I'm told to replace it. What exactly does it mean that the light came on and I am told to replace the oil? Is it based on some problem unrelated to the oil change or does the replace engine oil warning come on regardless at fixed intervals and it just happened to be when I got the other warning?

While I am at it, should I replace oil every 3,000 miles regardless of what the service documentation says, and are the any recommended oil I should use?

ewflyer
09-15-2013, 08:55 PM
The orange triangle always comes on at just prior to 3,800 miles in a new 500 (or Abarth or Turbo, etc.)

So your car is perfectly normal. If your car is a 2012 model chances are it is due for an oil change just based on the time that has elapsed rather than total miles. I'd say yes, have the oil changed. After this change I think the car will not light up the orange triangle until 8,000 more miles. If you want to re-set the orange triangle yourself all you have to do is: Switch the key to "on" without starting the motor, then fully depress the gas pedal three times within 5 seconds of switching on the key. This re-sets the orange triangle alert to go off in 8,000 miles.

I'd use a high quality full synthetic oil.

FTY
09-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Totally normal as stated by "EWLFYER".

There are a handful of us running Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 with great results. Inexpensive and very good synthetic oil.

SeaDawg
09-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Hi,

I have a 2012 Fiat 500 with 3,800 miles on it. Today why driving on the highway the orange triangle warning light came on and when I start the car it says to replace the engine oil. Online it says that next service is at 8,000 miles which includes oil change which I am not even close to yet, so I am a little confused as to why I'm told to replace it. What exactly does it mean that the light came on and I am told to replace the oil? Is it based on some problem unrelated to the oil change or does the replace engine oil warning come on regardless at fixed intervals and it just happened to be when I got the other warning?

While I am at it, should I replace oil every 3,000 miles regardless of what the service documentation says, and are the any recommended oil I should use?

The full explanation is that the light MAY come on somewhat ahead of EITHER 4,000 OR 8,000 miles in order to allow time to make an appointment and get your oil changed. The RULE is to change the oil either when the 'oil change' light illuminates or NOT more than SIX months or 8,000 miles since your last oil change. It appears you are driving a NON turbo 500 which means you may, but are not required to use full synthetic oil. You may also use regular 5-30 API motor oil.

NO you should NOT change your oil EVERY 3,000 miles. ONLY if the 'change oil' light illuminates close to the 4,000 mile mark. Do NOT let whoever changes your oil tell you otherwise.