PDA

View Full Version : Got my trekking and It's already dead :(

dichiee
09-15-2013, 12:40 AM
Excited to get my Trekking this afternoon. Got home and after starting it to take it for a spin again and there was a bad rattle on the engine. ESC, DTS, uphill assist errors all came on then the engine died. I tried to start again but it keeps shutting off and there's no throttle. I had to push the car inside the garage. Called the dealer and they need to pick it up. They said it has something to do with the PDI thing. I'm wondering if any of you experienced this?

Mario500L
09-15-2013, 07:02 AM
Hello dichiee,

Sad to know about your experience. I am sure everything will be fixed, or they are going to give you a new car. I know is not as give a new computer, but I would be pretty "mad" to have a brand new car with this kind of issue. Please, keep us posted.

Luv2byte
09-15-2013, 03:51 PM
I have 985mi on mine & it's in the shop. Disheartening but it happens. Detail are in the Issues folder.

Wolfepaw
09-15-2013, 05:31 PM
There does seem to be a bunch of little "computer" glitches with the 500L. Think this is the first time I have seen a report of engine dead, had to have it towed. All of my issues except the UConnect glitches have been dealt with.

Curious
09-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Last Sunday on my way to church I got a block away from my house and I got a check engine warning on my gauges. I turned around and went straight back home with it. The tow driver could not drive it up on to his tow truck, had to use his winch to get it on his truck. My dealer had it fixed in no time at all on Monday. They already had a service builtin on the known problem. I just had to wonder why they did not call me in before the break down to have it fixed, not very pro-active. But at least it was fixed quickly and not a major break down that could take weeks to fix.

n00dle
09-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Anyone with a manual transmission having issues? It seems that those with mechanical/powertrain/ECM issues are with the Auto Trans?

Fazzster
09-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Yikes. Our Trekking turned 1000 miles today. No problems yet. Sorry to all you folks having issues. Although, ours has a paint flaw that was either missed at the factory or damage during transportation that was quickly repaired. Once you start detailing the car you begin to find little flaws here and there.

NGEN
09-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Anyone with a manual transmission having issues? It seems that those with mechanical/powertrain/ECM issues are with the Auto Trans?

No problems here and we have a 6 speed. I do agree that it seems like all the problems are coming from the Auto. Interesting.

Luv2byte
09-15-2013, 10:53 PM
I thought the transmissions in the 500l was the same as the abarth? If this is true, then why so any issues in something that should be already "tried & true"?

I love the look of the fiat, I love the feel & uniqueness ....not loving the old adage coming true "Fix It Again..."

dichiee
09-16-2013, 12:40 AM
Thanks guys. They are picking up the car tomorrow hopefully it won't take too long. Btw our Trekking is a 6-speed.

JoeB
09-16-2013, 04:38 AM
I thought the transmissions in the 500l was the same as the abarth? If this is true, then why so any issues in something that should be already "tried & true"?

I love the look of the fiat, I love the feel & uniqueness ....not loving the old adage coming true "Fix It Again..."

The 500L uses the Abarth engine, but not its 5-speed manual transmission. The L comes with a 6-speed manual, or 6-speed dual-clutch automatic.

Robert Nixon
09-16-2013, 09:42 AM
..."

The Abarth only has manual, not automatic.

FiatCares
09-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Last Sunday on my way to church I got a block away from my house and I got a check engine warning on my gauges. I turned around and went straight back home with it. The tow driver could not drive it up on to his tow truck, had to use his winch to get it on his truck. My dealer had it fixed in no time at all on Monday. They already had a service builtin on the known problem. I just had to wonder why they did not call me in before the break down to have it fixed, not very pro-active. But at least it was fixed quickly and not a major break down that could take weeks to fix.

Im glad the studio was able to address is so quickly..did they say what caused the check engine light ??

Mario500L
09-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Curious,

I had my "check engine warning" , so far, twice. As far as my service advisor told me, if the light is steady, (not blinking), and the car is performing as expected, is no need for panic. Mine, the first time was related to some sensor that was activated and got stuck when I put gas. The second time, the light just went normal by itself this weekend. He told me that is a know issue of some sort related to gas emission that FIAT is aware, and they have the fix now (software related, as far as I know).

So , of course, is very advisable to see how the car reacts after the "engine alert", what can be hundreds of reasons.

Regards.

Luv2byte
09-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Curious,

I had my "check engine warning" , so far, twice. As far as my service advisor told me, if the light is steady, (not blinking), and the car is performing as expected, is no need for panic. Mine, the first time was related to some sensor that was activated and got stuck when I put gas. The second time, the light just went normal by itself this weekend. He told me that is a know issue of some sort related to gas emission that FIAT is aware, and they have the fix now (software related, as far as I know).

So , of course, is very advisable to see how the car reacts after the "engine alert", what can be hundreds of reasons.

Regards.

Hope mine is as simple but this is the second business day (Saturday & today) that mine is in the shop without an answer. My MiL came on, flashed service engine then it would kill cruise cintrol until I restarted the car. The light was off & on all week. The last time it came on I had just left the studio & this time same light but said "service transmission", first time for that one. I'm staying hopeful.

Curious
09-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Curious,

Regards.

There was no panic. The engine was running as normal when I got the check engine light. I did not want to ruin my new car so I took it straight back home, parked it and the drove my F J Cruiser to church. You never can tell when it could be a major or minor break down. Anyway my car reacted like normal, at least until the tow driver tried to drive it up, onto his tow truck. As reported it would not go up onto his truck, had to be winched up.

Curious
09-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Im glad the studio was able to address is so quickly..did they say what caused the check engine light ??

The report says it was a DTC sensor slow to respond. They reprogrammed a PCM, no clue what that is.

dichiee
09-18-2013, 05:55 PM
I got my car last night and here I am sitting beside a street waiting for a tow truck because my car died again. Same errors and car wont run. I'm loosing hope now :(

Luv2byte
09-18-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm with ya but hang in there. They THINK my issue is brake light switch. Have faith. ....it's hard I know, I'm totally bummed right now but hopeful.

Mario500L
09-19-2013, 10:21 AM
I got my car last night and here I am sitting beside a street waiting for a tow truck because my car died again. Same errors and car wont run. I'm loosing hope now :(

:( That is a bummer , sorry to know that. I really think the FIAT technicians aren't yet up to speed on the 500L. From the little talk I had with the guy that fixed a very small issue on mine after a "check engine" alert. They know the basics, look codes on the computer, follow step by step , as on Fiat documentation, but have a real knowledge of the car, we aren't there yet, at least my perception so far.

dichiee
09-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Passed by the dealer to check my car and still no go. Now they're saying about something with the throttle needs to be replaced. I have a feeling my car will spend most of its life in the dealership. :(

FiatCares
09-19-2013, 03:43 PM

is this a US vehicle? If so, please feel free to send me a PM with your VIN and studio name and representative and I will look into its progress.

Luv2byte
09-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Passed by the dealer to check my car and still no go. Now they're saying about something with the throttle needs to be replaced. I have a feeling my car will spend most of its life in the dealership. :(

I'm worried about the same thing. I pick up my car Saturday if all goes well today then tomorrow w test driving. I just keep thinking I traded in my perfectly stable SUV for fun & unique to sit in the shop. I've had it in my possession about 2 weeks in the month since I purchased it.

Andree
09-19-2013, 07:00 PM
:( That is a bummer , sorry to know that. I really think the FIAT technicians aren't yet up to speed on the 500L. From the little talk I had with the guy that fixed a very small issue on mine after a "check engine" alert. They know the basics, look codes on the computer, follow step by step , as on Fiat documentation, but have a real knowledge of the car, we aren't there yet, at least my perception so far.

Good point!

None of the mechanics had any advance knowledge. We ALL were introduced to the 500L at the same time. Mechanics and consumers alike.

It's less mechanical too, these days, more technological. If it's something needing a software update, they can't do anything in the shop until the software update is available. Think of it like computers and applications and operating systems. There's NOTHING that I can do mechanically that would "fix" a bad application. I have to wait for the next update.

As I found out with my SimCity game. Worked perfectly when I started with it. After a few automatic, unavoidable updates from the game company, it doesn't work as well. Whatever it was they were trying to fix seems to have broken more than it fixed. LOL.

And there are no practice 500Ls sent over with a bunch of problems to work on. It's like being a doctor. Even if the service personnel reviewed every single thing prior to the 500L introduction, memorized all codes, they still need a car to have a problem to actually do the work. To check symptoms, like interns do.

It does provide a unique opportunity. For the service department to work together, have "classes" or meetings for their employees. To keep everyone up to speed on the latest service bulletins, chat on what they've worked on that week, a sharing of knowledge. Something the employees will look forward to, where everyone learns a little bit about what's going on overall in the service department.

Because everyone is generally busy working on an individual work order, they don't get to wander around and see what someone else is doing, or chat about it to learn. Some vehicles that have to stay overnight or a couple days for parts, that would be a good time to ask everyone if they want to stay late an hour or so (and get paid extra, of course) to look over what is going on.

Like the regular 500s, some may have a window issue. And there's a service bulletin for it. So after regular hours, everyone gathers around the car. Have everyone check out the window symptoms on the car. Have everyone get a chance to see (SEE) the door panel being removed, and the inner workings, and whatever it is that needs replacing.

Over time, mechanics get to see all kinds of things done, whether they've done them personally or not. And they have a go-to person, the person who led that particular meeting. They can go to the guy/gal who did the window fixing if they have problems with a window themselves.

dichiee
09-19-2013, 07:38 PM
After calling the service department to get an update (They where supposed to call me today for updates but never got one), they said they will replace the throttle body. They just ordered one from east coast and they're hoping to get it tomorrow.

Is there are return policy with this cars? It's just frustrating how a new car can get so much problems already and needed parts to be replaced. I love Fiats and the 500L is our 3rd one but if its going to be like this I don't want the car anymore :(

Mario500L
09-19-2013, 09:06 PM
After calling the service department to get an update (They where supposed to call me today for updates but never got one), they said they will replace the throttle body. They just ordered one from east coast and they're hoping to get it tomorrow.

Is there are return policy with this cars? It's just frustrating how a new car can get so much problems already and needed parts to be replaced. I love Fiats and the 500L is our 3rd one but if its going to be like this I don't want the car anymore :(

I understand your frustration, I would be furious also. As that say "s@" happens. I don't know how many 500L they sold so far, and the small sample of complains we have here in this forum, how much represents of good cars vs. "issue" ones. What I can tell by visual experience, (DC / VA area), I never , yes never, saw a 500L running on the highway I got daily. One of the reasons I love the 500L, is something that "call attention" , not like a BMW that you see every 10 minutes.

If you see my reply to Andree, I guess they are really learning now about the 500L (here in US I mean). One thing that I disagree on Andree reply, the issues I am aware from here the high % are hardware related. Software wise, for sure the computer unit(s) are the same from other cars/models, so the software is somehow pretty much QA, but the hardware, sensors, pedals, etc, are the ones that are having issues, look at Ellie's issue also.

On the positive side we don't have a Me..B.., that is pretty expensive, and according to a very good friend that worked on one of dealers, are "pretty bad" these days in quality, he told me, one time a customer just trow away the car keys in his direction because the car had so many issues.

dichiee
09-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Ya, I hope they figure out everything and do everything right because if that issue goes back I might throw the keys too hehe

Hers and mine but now my car has a bigger garage with mechanics

Andree
09-20-2013, 01:59 AM
Ya, I hope they figure out everything and do everything right because if that issue goes back I might throw the keys too hehe

Hers and mine but now my car has a bigger garage with mechanics

Cool pic! Fiat family!

dichiee
09-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Still no ETA yet. Looks like another weekend will pass and I'm stuck with a cigarette smelling loaner.

1 week old car and I only get to use it for less than a day. Sigh

SeaDawg
09-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Still no ETA yet. Looks like another weekend will pass and I'm stuck with a cigarette smelling loaner.

1 week old car and I only get to use it for less than a day. Sigh

FiatCares has offered his help, if you are in the US I strongly suggest you avail yourself of his services. If you are in Canada there is a FiatCACares representative as well.

dichiee
09-20-2013, 03:37 PM
FiatCares has offered his help, if you are in the US I strongly suggest you avail yourself of his services. If you are in Canada there is a FiatCACares representative as well.

Yup he has my info already. Hope everything gets done. I got my 4th loaner car.. this time it smells better now :apthy:

dichiee
09-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Finally service called me but its bad news. ETA for the part is around the 25th plus a couple of days more for the actual replacement so another week? The car had a defective throttle body they said. Didn't they QA the car before releasing it? This is so frustrating :Mad:

Luv2byte
09-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Look up your state's lemon law, your car might be close to qualifying w so many days in the shop.

dichiee
09-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Look up your state's lemon law, your car might be close to qualifying w so many days in the shop.

Well after a gazillion of phone calls, being passed around, told that they will call back but never did, finally the manager called and the only thing he can give is a free 1 month payment. Its not about the payment. Its the car. I feel I got a bad car. Service guy said that the manager told him that they can't replace the car because they don't have the same kind on their lot but I told them there's one out there... the only difference is the heated seats. They won't do it. The manager said they're trying to get the parts as fast as they can but I don't know. I really feel that the car i have is a bad batch. There goes my weekend angryred

BTW He said it needs to be 30 days in the shop to qualify and he said its only 3 days tho the car was dead saturday when I bought it and was brought to the dealer monday and picked up tuesday night and died/back to the dealer on wednesday then until next week.

Andree
09-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Well after a gazillion of phone calls, being passed around, told that they will call back but never did, finally the manager called and the only thing he can give is a free 1 month payment. Its not about the payment. Its the car. I feel I got a bad car. Service guy said that the manager told him that they can't replace the car because they don't have the same kind on their lot but I told them there's one out there... the only difference is the heated seats. They won't do it. The manager said they're trying to get the parts as fast as they can but I don't know. I really feel that the car i have is a bad batch. There goes my weekend angryred

BTW He said it needs to be 30 days in the shop to qualify and he said its only 3 days tho the car was dead saturday when I bought it and was brought to the dealer monday and picked up tuesday night and died/back to the dealer on wednesday then until next week.

Take the car payment. It's probably not a "bad car" but a "bad part" that they just don't have in their service department.

Fiat sold 2,717 500Ls as of the end of August.
Source: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2013/09/fiat-500-sales-for-august-2013.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Fiat500USA+%28Fiat+500+USA%29

Once the bad part is replaced, it should be okay. It's a brand new car. With one bad part. All those other 500Ls are not having the same problem.

dichiee
09-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Take the car payment. It's probably not a "bad car" but a "bad part" that they just don't have in their service department.

Fiat sold 2,717 500Ls as of the end of August.
Source: http://www.fiat500usa.com/2013/09/fiat-500-sales-for-august-2013.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Fiat500USA+%28Fiat+500+USA%29

Once the bad part is replaced, it should be okay. It's a brand new car. With one bad part. All those other 500Ls are not having the same problem.

Well not a bad car I like fiats... its more of it could be a bad batch... yes its brand new and I feel like its a bad batch (well maybe just this car) the slipped out the quality assurance thing. I don't know I would understand if the part broke after few hundred/thousand miles but to own a car that is like a guinea pig is not cool. Based on their ETA.. the car is literally unusable out the door for 2 weeks. Don't you think that's wrong? I don't know... I'm just frustrated right now. Maybe if my loaner was an Abarth it will give me hope ha!

Luv2byte
09-20-2013, 09:59 PM
I wonder if we shouldn't have a thread that simply states the trim, last 5 of vin & issue? We can then see if the issues are mostly on one trim & how far into the manufacturing the issues are existing.

Example-
Trekking 004199 brake light sensor suspected of causing MIL to light intermittently

Luv2byte
09-20-2013, 10:05 PM

It is 30 days but not per incident, there is a list of criteria each state has. Be familiar with yours.

I'm holding out hope that my issue is simply is a once off issue. Today, while driving hime in the loaner sport (though I'm paying for a trekking) I kept trying to tell myself I didn't make a bad decision, that I will love my trekking as much as I hoped for the 18mo I researched them. I kept finding myself at thoughts on what it's value might be & starting over with a different car but then I remind myself I really love the uniqueness & look of the 500L. Try to stay positive.

dichiee
09-20-2013, 10:26 PM
It is 30 days but not per incident, there is a list of criteria each state has. Be familiar with yours.

I'm holding out hope that my issue is simply is a once off issue. Today, while driving hime in the loaner sport (though I'm paying for a trekking) I kept trying to tell myself I didn't make a bad decision, that I will love my trekking as much as I hoped for the 18mo I researched them. I kept finding myself at thoughts on what it's value might be & starting over with a different car but then I remind myself I really love the uniqueness & look of the 500L. Try to stay positive.

I too love the Trekking also and I've been waiting for it forever just like we did on our 500e (even were 5th on our studio's list). At least you guys where able to drive it longer, me I didn't. Just brought it home (about 11miles) and died. Same thing on the 2nd time. I'm trying to stay positive but I just can't help it. At least you drive a sport. I drive a 500 pop with studio decals. Talk about moving advertisement haha :(

Luv2byte
09-20-2013, 11:30 PM
I too love the Trekking also and I've been waiting for it forever just like we did on our 500e (even were 5th on our studio's list). At least you guys where able to drive it longer, me I didn't. Just brought it home (about 11miles) and died. Same thing on the 2nd time. I'm trying to stay positive but I just can't help it. At least you drive a sport. I drive a 500 pop with studio decals. Talk about moving advertisement haha :(

Sadly tho we are both paying for an L and driving 500's, at least I'm not a cruising billboard! Oy. (Hug).

And we didn't have our much longer. It had 200mi on it when we bought it (sales manager kept driving it), and 400 of the miles were to/from studios (pick up to being home a 6 days after purchase & then taking it to service). In the 27 days we've legally owned it, it's been in our possession 14 days.

But hey, I'm driving a sport without decals nutkick

dichiee
09-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Sadly tho we are both paying for an L and driving 500's, at least I'm not a cruising billboard! Oy. (Hug).

And we didn't have our much longer. It had 200mi on it when we bought it (sales manager kept driving it), and 400 of the miles were to/from studios (pick up to being home a 6 days after purchase & then taking it to service). In the 27 days we've legally owned it, it's been in our possession 14 days.

But hey, I'm driving a sport without decals nutkick

Well at least he tested it haha. Mine was 34miles when I got home then got it back with 55 then got back to the dealer with 74miles. Lucky you! Yeah my sales manager drives a trekking.

Luv2byte
09-21-2013, 12:17 AM
Well at least he tested it haha. Mine was 34miles when I got home then got it back with 55 then got back to the dealer with 74miles. Lucky you! Yeah my sales manager drives a trekking.

A lot of good it did us eh? Still crapped out on us.

Have you tried emailing through the fiatusa site? I keep trying but I'm caught in a loop of verifying my email is correct to clicking "submit", I can't get it to go thru!

dichiee
09-21-2013, 01:17 AM
A lot of good it did us eh? Still crapped out on us.

Have you tried emailing through the fiatusa site? I keep trying but I'm caught in a loop of verifying my email is correct to clicking "submit", I can't get it to go thru!

I spoke to fiatusa. The agent i talked too said he will submit it to a qualifier and they will review if they can replace the car. I hope they will respond immediately.

Luv2byte
09-21-2013, 01:38 AM
I spoke to fiatusa. The agent i talked too said he will submit it to a qualifier and they will review if they can replace the car. I hope they will respond immediately.

Woh! Good luck! Since I couldn't get my email form to submit, no matter what I tried, including starting over with it, I found a couple email addresses on the web & sent my email to them in hopes it triggers something.

I am just not happy about making a car payment on a vehicle that I've barely driven & is already in the shop not to mention my issues from when we signed - I like maintenance plans, we were sold one that as it turns out was correct price but wrong code was used so we needed up with a plan 2/3 the value of what we paid and the plan we wanted doesn't exist for the L. It's been a long process to get the right plan or refund, at this point I'm just going to ask for a refund, it's been far too long dealing with it.

My worry tonight is that the studio fixed the car & had time to drive it lied I asked them too (and they agreed was a good idea since they were not sure they were really fixing the problem). I find out at 8am when I call them before I hit the road to pick it up. Nice eh? I find out if I can drive 60mi (one way) to pick it up the moment I need to be on the road so we have time to get back home in time for our prior commitments.

dichiee
09-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Its the 10th day since I bought my car and studio said they got the part. Hopefully ill get it today and hopefully its the end of that issue.

Guyg74
09-26-2013, 09:33 AM

Hi had a very similar issue with mine..they replaced the control module on the AT, which service bulletin/known problem did they reference? I don't think my issue is fully resolved. Thanks

dichiee
09-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Hi had a very similar issue with mine..they replaced the control module on the AT, which service bulletin/known problem did they reference? I don't think my issue is fully resolved. Thanks

At first they just reset the ECU, etc. then they had to replace the throttle body and so far so good. Hope they figure out yours.