PDA

View Full Version : Magneti Marelli Power pedal

my500L
09-14-2013, 06:33 PM
I just installed this Mod on my 500L and all I can say is wow! This totally changes the dynamic of driving the 500L. The throttle is very responsive. Just thought I would mention it because it was worth the money as far as i'm concerned.

Mario500L
09-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Hello my 500L

Excuse my ignorance, but this module is for automatic or manual transmission, or really does not matter. Also, I did a bit of research, and sounds that the unit can't be used in all states, depends on state by state law. Also, a warning on the site, that if not used as intended (or the user doesn't know exactly how to use) can damage the car's transmission. Also, as a matter of curiosity also, does this kind of unit void or can void the car warranty? Someone already posted in other thread that some laws assures the user to make changes and keep the warranty, but void a car's transmission warranty is something that I want to make sure is not going to be affected.

Thanks!

my500L
09-14-2013, 08:05 PM
This one is just the throttle unit (power pedal)not the complete ECU unit. There is always an inherent risk about anything you do to your vehicle, however they have to prove the part caused the problem to void your warranty. The part plugs into the existing harness and can be installed or removed within 5 minutes. I have the automatic that is currently available and was told that it did not matter and thus far does not seem to. if I notice any changes to the negative I will remove the unit but from those that I have spoke to this is not going to be a problem. If we have problems with our 500L's it will be assembly problems that have been noted in the "issues" section. You may want to speak with the guys at 500madness.com , they have been a wealth of information

Mario500L
09-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I will look forward for your experience, and the associated gas consumption. One funny thing I saw on the 500madness site, its that the unit can be installed only for race and not city/highway daily usage.

Dwaynek
09-15-2013, 09:20 AM
That is a standard statement of any supplier to limit their liability

Mario500L
09-16-2013, 01:25 PM
I was about to fire away an order, when I saw this post : http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/madness-autoworks/6769-stuck-accelerator-magneti-marelli-power-pedal.html, what was one of my worst fears. So , I am going to wait a bit more before order. "my500L", can you share how the unit is performing for you , so far ?

Thanks in advance.

my500L
09-16-2013, 05:00 PM
No issues yet. I hope I don't have any either. The way I look at it, there is a risk in all things we do. I ride a motorcycle so I am accustom to risk. Parts can break whether they are factory OEM or aftermarket. I try to select products and brands with a great track record of quality and service. I purchased mine from my local Fiat dealer who sells the 500 Madness product. They will also be selling and installing me the lowering springs. I was going to get the Madness Go Pedal but the dealer had the MM in stock at the time and matched the price. I will let everyone know if my 500L goes ape s#%t crazy! Lol

Mario500L
09-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, and let us know if the unit went "bananas" ! Lol

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
09-16-2013, 05:49 PM
When I first got my MM Power Pedal about a year ago there was a rumor that if you engaged the cruise control and the Power Pedal it would throw a code. So I use each at different times and I have never had that issue.

Mario500L
09-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Thanks Vae,

Good to know. A question, I guess , I am not the only one, if MM belongs to Fiat, the 500L has a "lot" of components from MM, and sounds that the "power pedal" makes the car more responsive, what is a + on the 500L, why the 500L does not use the same "response curve" as implemented on the power pedal?

Regards.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
09-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks Vae,

Good to know. A question, I guess , I am not the only one, if MM belongs to Fiat, the 500L has a "lot" of components from MM, and sounds that the "power pedal" makes the car more responsive, what is a + on the 500L, why the 500L does not use the same "response curve" as implemented on the power pedal?

Regards.

I believe that the answer is yes Magneti Marrelli is the same company that makes the electrical componets for Fiat but the Power Pedal is just an amp to modify the drive by wire signal.

my500L
09-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Update: The MM Go Pedal is probably not the best fit for the 500L with the automatic transmission. The euro-automatic has too much difficulty selecting a gear and revs to high and over heats the clutch. I anticipate that this works fantastic with the standard transmission. I hate that I had to remove it but the automatic is too archaic to handle the extra throttle response.

Mario500L
09-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Update: The MM Go Pedal is probably not the best fit for the 500L with the automatic transmission. The euro-automatic has too much difficulty selecting a gear and revs to high and over heats the clutch. I anticipate that this works fantastic with the standard transmission. I hate that I had to remove it but the automatic is too archaic to handle the extra throttle response.

Thanks for the update, even with my manual transmission, for now, I am not going to take any risk. My guess on the auto T, the internal computer has the algorithm to make the right choice based on the standard curve of the "pedal", and doesn't have the capability to adapt to something external, or doesn't get the right feedback from the MM power pedal, to make the right decisions.

According to the FIAT site the computer can make pretty fast decisions , much faster an the driver, but they have this dual implementation, that maybe has some issues, since I saw (don't remember where) they are going to have a model with standard auto (for some reason they are doing that) in 2014.

And I am seeing people with the 500L (small sample here of course) with issues on the 500L, and the FIAT technicians aren't yet up to speed with the 500L, to take a risk to make some changes on the transmission side (but you are brave my500L :) ).

All the best.

NGEN
09-22-2013, 11:27 PM
We have the Sprint Booster on ours with a 6 speed manual. Definitely helps quite a bit.

MADNESSLuckyJay
09-23-2013, 02:27 PM
We've been running our GOPedal on our manual 500L for a few months now and it's been performing like a champ. The MM unit may be a little too aggressive for some owners, but the GOPedal has 18 settings so that you can dial it in to the way you drive, from all out Sport +3 to ECO mode, we've had nothing but satisfied customers. And the other bonus is the 30-day money back guarantee!