PDA

View Full Version : 2 Days, and already an issue...really?!? Passenger door handle useless.

Lou Caputo
09-13-2013, 07:59 PM
So, I took delivery on my Abarth two days ago, and I've been enjoying the heck out of it. Today, I took a friend to lunch. and he couldn't open the passenger door from the outside. I played around with it, and low and behold, the outside handle doesn't seem to do anything anymore. I can hear the door mechanism locking and unlocked, and the interior handle works fine. But, try to enter the car from the outside passenger door and no go. I have to reach across the car and open the door from the inside. Am I missing something? Is there a trick to this?

luckymoi
09-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Has it ever worked?
Btw like all modern cars unlock only unlocks the driver's door.
You must double unlock to include the trunk and passenger door.
To unlock passenger door I don't reach across. I lock the drivers door with the handle and then unlock... crazy, I am.
Btw2, there is a menu option to turn off autolock which occurs at 12 mph

Lou Caputo
09-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Yes, the doors and locks worked flawlessly until today. I've tried everything I could think of, including checking the menu for a solution. I originally set the car up to unlock the drivers door on the first click, and then unlock the passenger on the second. Once the problem occurred, I changed that to the default setting which unlocks all doors with a single press of the fob. In theory, the system is really no different than that on my 2011 Avalanche, which hasn't failed in two years, let alone two days. I've read elsewhere that this is not an isolated issue,and has happened to others. But, I haven't found a solution that works for me. I fear that my new Abarth is about to make it's first trip back to the Studio...let's hope this isn't a trend.

Abarth Phreak
09-13-2013, 09:52 PM
Has it ever worked?
Btw like all modern cars unlock only unlocks the driver's door.
You must double unlock to include the trunk and passenger door.
To unlock passenger door I don't reach across. I lock the drivers door with the handle and then unlock... crazy, I am.
Btw2, there is a menu option to turn off autolock which occurs at 12 mph

Mine unlocks all doors and hatch...I think I changed that in the EVIC too.

To the OP: :nono: Don't start bad mouthing and hating your car or compare it to other cars. She can hear you and will act up more...LOL. I paid $27,000 for my warranty...you probably got one too. Better to find an issue now than at year 5 right? Handles are minor issues so take it in. Let us know what they find please. Good luck.

Lou Caputo
09-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Mine unlocks all doors and hatch...I think I changed that in the EVIC too.

To the OP: :nono: Don't start bad mouthing and hating your car or compare it to other cars. She can hear you and will act up more...LOL. I paid $27,000 for my warranty...you probably got one too. Better to find an issue now than at year 5 right? Handles are minor issues so take it in. Let us know what they find please. Good luck.

Ha! Not bad mouthing, just illustrating that I know how power locks work on modern cars...ok, maybe bad mouthing a little with that whole 2 days vs. 2 years stuff. Still, it's such a silly problem with something that should work thousands of times without failing.

Good point about the warranty though. Better now than in year five.

Lou Caputo
09-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Well, I need to give credit where credit is due. My sales advisor called to see how I was liking my new Abarth, but I missed his call. When I returned it, he was unavailable, but the manager had answered and asked if he could help me. I told him my situation, and he said I could bring it by anytime and either he or my sales guy would take it right to the shop so they could check it out and see if they needed to order a part. Since I was already out and about, I headed right over.

As soon as I arrived, my sales advisor Stephen met me, and my car was taken right to the shop. They offered me a coffee (they have a cool espresso machine), and we chatted about our cars while the techs looked it over. No more than 15 minutes later, the manager comes back and says, "you're done". I was shocked. It seems that the handle wasn't fully attached during the manufacturing process, so it functioned until the components worked themselves free.

So, kudos to the team at Fiat of Clearwater, Florida. They definitely stand behind their product after the sale.

Abarth Phreak
09-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Ha! Not bad mouthing, just illustrating that I know how power locks work on modern cars...ok, maybe bad mouthing a little with that whole 2 days vs. 2 years stuff. Still, it's such a silly problem with something that should work thousands of times without failing.

Good point about the warranty though. Better now than in year five.

If it makes you feel better, I have a squeaky driver seat and warped A-pillar on drivers side. Dealer has been made aware, but I have yet to take it in. Soon though. I also had a wheel center cap come off and I found another that the clip was broken. They fixed one under warranty. (They compromised and thought I broke it...lol...never touched it.)

BigT
09-14-2013, 06:03 PM
If it makes you feel better, I have a squeaky driver seat and warped A-pillar on drivers side. Dealer has been made aware, but I have yet to take it in. Soon though. I also had a wheel center cap come off and I found another that the clip was broken. They fixed one under warranty. (They compromised and thought I broke it...lol...never touched it.)

Glad to hear im not the only one with a squeaky driver seat I thought it was just because I'm a big guy and the seats are so dainty lol.

BigDaddySRT
09-16-2013, 07:17 AM
Glad to hear im not the only one with a squeaky driver seat I thought it was just because I'm a big guy and the seats are so dainty lol.

Mark it a Third ABARTH with a Squeaky Drivers Seat.

I have the Driver Seat Pumped up Two Pumps to stop the Squeak... but if it is all the way down in the Lowest Position, the Drivers Seat Squeaks.

It will be brought up at my Service Visit.

BigT
09-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Yeah I might have to take a trip to the local studio to see what they think of the squeaky seat

Lou Caputo
09-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Well, if your Studio is anything like mine, they'll resolve the situation pretty quickly. I can't imagine that a squeaky seat could be a difficult fix. I CAN imagine how annoying that would be though in such a small space!

Good luck!

Robert Nixon
09-16-2013, 09:39 AM
I'm glad the passenger handle thing got resolved, but you stated that you've read about this problem elsewhere too. Where was that?

I just haven't seen it mentioned before this.

Lou Caputo
09-16-2013, 07:16 PM
I'm glad the passenger handle thing got resolved, but you stated that you've read about this problem elsewhere too. Where was that?

I just haven't seen it mentioned before this.

I did a Google search with various terms, like "fiat Abarth passenger door issue" or something like that, and came across different threads that touched on an issue with the dead bolt. However, as it turns out, my issue is actually something else all together. Turns out that the fix was only temporary, and the door handle stopped working again today. Called my Studio, and they had me come right over. Seems that the inner workings of the handle have a hole that was made too large, so the rod that attaches to the door lock mechanism keeps falling out, despite the fact that it's clipped in place. They've ordered a new handle, which should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully this will resolve the issue once and for all.

Otherwise, the car is an absolute blast!

redred
09-16-2013, 07:26 PM
I did a Google search with various terms, like "fiat Abarth passenger door issue" or something like that, and came across different threads that touched on an issue with the dead bolt. However, as it turns out, my issue is actually something else all together. Turns out that the fix was only temporary, and the door handle stopped working again today. Called my Studio, and they had me come right over. Seems that the inner workings of the handle have a hole that was made too large, so the rod that attaches to the door lock mechanism keeps falling out, despite the fact that it's clipped in place. They've ordered a new handle, which should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully this will resolve the issue once and for all.

Otherwise, the car is an absolute blast!

Glad it's getting worked out for you. At least the issue is with the passenger side and not the drivers side!! That would have really upset me! ;)

djhace
10-26-2013, 02:40 AM
"squeaky seat" duh. might be those extra tight leather pants you carry. lol. :-)

DuckDodgers
10-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Squeaky seat seems to be universally solved by a minimum up adjustment. I'm a big boy, and the seat squeaked since new...finally got them to look at it and their thought is replace the bottom of the seat because they can't pin down the squeak. Reading a thread in problems showed it's a common problem, universlly solved (so far) by a one click up on the seat base adjustment. I tried it, and voila, no squeaks!