PDA

View Full Version : A few problems

The Cuban Stig
09-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Hey guys, my Abarth has had a few issues since I have gotten it. First thing that happend is that my car started to flash a sign at me saying airbag service and I don't know if that is bad and how long it will take at the dealership to get fixed. The next problem I have is my reverse gear. Many times when I have tried to go into reverse I would put the clutch completely in and it would still grind, and some times it even felt like it was in (reverse) gear but as I would start backing up the car made the grinding noise and the shifter just flew out of gear. Has this problem happened to any of you???

ksig421
09-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Hey guys, my Abarth has had a few issues since I have gotten it. First thing that happend is that my car started to flash a sign at me saying airbag service and I don't know if that is bad and how long it will take at the dealership to get fixed. The next problem I have is my reverse gear. Many times when I have tried to go into reverse I would put the clutch completely in and it would still grind, and some times it even felt like it was in (reverse) gear but as I would start backing up the car made the grinding noise and the shifter just flew out of gear. Has this problem happened to any of you???

How many miles do you have on your car? Some people have complained that the airbag light comes on and i think the common reason is that the sensor gets knocked when the person changed your oil filter. The dealership can replace the sensor and its covered under warranty. As for the reverse. Make sure you put your car in reverse only when you are in a complete stop. I think it helps to move the shifter side to side a couple of times before putting it in reverse. Hope this helps!

DesmosDromos
09-12-2013, 07:56 PM
After about 1000 miles reverse was much easier to engage for me. Like ksig421 said, be sure you completely stop before engaging it too.

Abarth619
09-12-2013, 08:52 PM
If you put it into another gear first while leaving the clutch in then put it into reverse it will never grind again. Here's a bit of advise that's been mentioned before here.

1. Leave Car in Reverse When parked

2. Never, ever let the clutch out in neutral, and then go into reverse. If the clutch is out in neutral you must to go into another gear first, then into reverse. If you obeyed rule one, you should never have this issue anyway.

Tweak
09-12-2013, 11:02 PM
^^^ I always hit 4th then reverse to make sure this doesn't become a problem.

DS Ocampo
09-13-2013, 10:44 AM
If you put it into another gear first while leaving the clutch in then put it into reverse it will never grind again. Here's a bit of advise that's been mentioned before here.

1. Leave Car in Reverse When parked

2. Never, ever let the clutch out in neutral, and then go into reverse. If the clutch is out in neutral you must to go into another gear first, then into reverse. If you obeyed rule one, you should never have this issue anyway.

I always do this since day one and no issues for me... Sometimes if u try to put it straight in reverse it does sit down all the way... If u try then back off and do it again you'll feel it sink inside better ...

elorablue
09-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Can I ask what the reasoning is behind putting the car in reverse when parked? Thanks

Tweak
09-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Can I ask what the reasoning is behind putting the car in reverse when parked? Thanks

Beside the obvious that most people pull in to park and being in reverse makes it easier to then leave Reverse is also the strongest gear and best to hold the car when parked. (Obviously the ebrake should also always be engaged when parking).

dylansi
09-14-2013, 03:13 AM
^^^ I always hit 4th then reverse to make sure this doesn't become a problem.

As do I. It became muscle memory for me. But I still have problems once in a while and have to try 3rd and/or 5th before it will go into gear

RustyPaint
09-14-2013, 03:26 AM
If you do let out the clutch in neutral, give it a good 10-20 seconds to spin back down before putting it in reverse. I do this when all the other tricks (putting in other gears) don't work. Sometimes it helps if you take your foot of the brake too.

elorablue
09-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Beside the obvious that most people pull in to park and being in reverse makes it easier to then leave Reverse is also the strongest gear and best to hold the car when parked. (Obviously the ebrake should also always be engaged when parking).

Thanks tweak. I back into every parking spot, including my driveway, so that wasn't obvious to me.

Tweak
09-14-2013, 11:59 PM
Thanks tweak. I back into every parking spot, including my driveway, so that wasn't obvious to me.

Other ride is a Vette, I tend to back in fairly often at times as well. ;)

GetsThruBuckner
09-18-2013, 10:05 PM
I noticed grinding slightly into reverse during the first few months of owning the car. I found that even rolling slightly forward during gear change to reverse can cause this. Now I place my foot firmly on the brake pedal and change to 4th then reverse. Once in reverse removing your foot from the brake pedal is obviously ok. Enjoy your grind free ride!