PDA

View Full Version : Questions that need detailed answers! :)

Babbles
09-12-2013, 04:44 PM
I know some of these are around the Internet and forum, but I wanted more detail than was provided. I wonít be using this on the track as my driving fast days are behind me, but I do like the 500s and the look/options of the Abarth really gets me excited. Iím about 90% sure this is the car I want, but. . . well, here are a few Abarth questions that I still have:

1. I take an 800-mile round trip to ATL quite often to visit family, passing through the hills/mountains of Kentucky and Tennessee. Iíve heard that when you get on the Interstate with top speeds (65-80mph) that the vehicle lacks the oomph you need to quickly speed up. Is this true for anyone, especially if you have to pass people or go up an incline?
2. In relation to travel, how is the comfort when youíre traveling both at top speeds (65-80mph) and low speeds (35-55mph) when you hit roads that are bumpy? What tire size do you have in connection to your answer?
3. What is the comfort like in general when traveling long distances--mostly on Interstates?
4. Spare tire. Hearing that the Abarth doesnít come with a spare tire kind of shocked me. Is the pump under the seat really enough when you travel long distanceóespecially on Sundays when shops are closed? Has anyone put a tire kit on his or her car? Is there even space to do it?
5. Are there any features that you wish you had gotten with your Abarth, now that you've had time to experience it? Are there any features that you did get, but regret as you could do without?
6. Do you ever have kids riding in the back? I know the back is small, but do your kids have enough room with all their goodies and what not? (I don't plan on having kids in the car 24/7, but it'd be nice to get a feel of what other people experienced with this question)
7. Snow. I live in Ohio and snow is almost a guarantee every year. How does the Abarth operate in the snow? I do like that itís FWD for snow states, but do you use your stock tires or do you purchase snow tires? I've only owned small cars and have always used stock tires in winter, but every car is different.
8. Iím 6í and 189 lbs. Iíve read conflicting stories of how guys who are 5í 10Ē have issues with cramped legs over long distance or how guys who are 6í 4Ē are just fine. Again, this is more to do with long trips as I've sat in them and feel fine for short commutes.

Thanks for answering these questions. Any suggestions before buying (besides test driving) or anything else I should know that you werenít aware of until after you purchased, Iíd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Tweak
09-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Welcome to the forum.

To quickly answer your questions as far as I am concerned.

1. I have an Abarth with every option except sunroof...no issues at all with passing and riding on the Interstate, I went to Winston Salem yesterday and was doing 80+ without issue at times, easily passing many cars and trucks as well as other vehicles.
2. I have the OEM 17in and bumps are not a bother at any speed for me.
3. I drove to TN from NC (about 6 hours) and stopped only for bathroom breaks, I was plenty comfy the entire trip and will be going back in the fall. I am also going to VA this month and expect the ride to be just as comfortable. I have the leather seats just so you are aware.
4. There is a pump and goo to fix a flat but a blowout would leave you screwed, a spare could be put in the back and carried but WILL NOT mount under the car like the NA 500.
5. I could enjoy the sunroof if I had it and I did have it on my former Sport, otherwise I am loaded with all options and I am happy that I have them all.
6. I don't have kids or a back seat, I have a rear seat delete kit and obviously I have a LOT of room now.
7. I haven't really driven in snow since we barely get any, I did drive in ice and it SUCKED but this is because of the 17in setup(3 season tire, winter is NOT one of the 3), the 16in wheels have tires that are better suited for bad weather.
8. I think most will be fine but adding the sunroof you'll lose about 2 inches of headroom.

Enjoy the forum and I hope this helps. Also for comparison, I am 5ft8in and about 135lbs.

GetsThruBuckner
09-12-2013, 11:54 PM
1. I've never had an issue with the torque required to pass others at higher speeds, even on an incline. At lower Revs in 5th gear (2000-3000) a pedal down in sport mode gives plenty of get up and go once the turbo kicks some boost (1-2 sec.)
2. 16" wheels. Low speeds bumps are "bumpy", as to be expected with the firmer suspension of the Abarth. High speed bumps are smooth and give you a nice feedback through the steering wheel.
3. Leather seats- Firm seats. At 30, I have yet to develop back or ass issues. I drove 300 Miles in my longest trip and I was comfortable. The stereo (mine is 2012 with bose) was cranking some southern rock with plenty of clarity even with the windows down. Nice distraction.
4. As stated by #Tweak
5. I do not regret any of the options I chose (Sunroof, Auto-Climate, Leather.) Though I have heard others claim that the TomTom is obstuctive, yet wonderfully integrated with the Blue & Me.
6. My daughter is soon to be 13 weeks old, so we aren't on the same plain. I do have a Recaro carseat (Rear-facing) in the rear passenger seat. It hasn't bothered me yet.
7. NY here and my car has performed wonderfully in the snow (16" stock Pirelli) ESC may need to be turned off during hill climbing scenarios, but otherwise, I felt in control and safe (5-6" snow)
8. 5'9" 165lbs here. I love my sunroof. While sitting in the front seat, you may mistake it for a panoramic sunroof

EDIT- 1. The Abarth loves high Revs, it almost thrives on them. So a nice downshift to 4th gives your ears some pleasure, but allows you to take off as well :onthego:

Babbles
09-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Awesome replies. Thanks for doing so. I'm pretty excited about the whole experience. It's hard trying to find videos and information coming from ACTUAL owners who have experienced these things compared to "reviewers" who only have 10-20 minutes with the Abarth.

If anyone else would like to answer the questions, I'd love to hear about it--and I'm sure that these questions would be super helpful to future people interested in the Abarth experience.

Thanks, guys.

DesmosDromos
09-13-2013, 03:21 PM
1. I take an 800-mile round trip to ATL quite often to visit family, passing through the hills/mountains of Kentucky and Tennessee. I’ve heard that when you get on the Interstate with top speeds (65-80mph) that the vehicle lacks the oomph you need to quickly speed up. Is this true for anyone, especially if you have to pass people or go up an incline?

I've not found this to be an issue. I always have sport mode engaged and there is plenty of grunt even in 5th gear. Want more? Downshift to 4th.

2. In relation to travel, how is the comfort when you’re traveling both at top speeds (65-80mph) and low speeds (35-55mph) when you hit roads that are bumpy? What tire size do you have in connection to your answer?
I have the 16" wheels and have no issues.

3. What is the comfort like in general when traveling long distances--mostly on Interstates?
Just drove from Philly to Orlando with my daughter and back. Did 8 hours each day over two days with only bathroom and meal stops. It was more comfy than I expected and I was not fatigued at the end of the day.

4. Spare tire. Hearing that the Abarth doesn’t come with a spare tire kind of shocked me. Is the pump under the seat really enough when you travel long distance—especially on Sundays when shops are closed? Has anyone put a tire kit on his or her car? Is there even space to do it?

No personal experience here.

5. Are there any features that you wish you had gotten with your Abarth, now that you've had time to experience it? Are there any features that you did get, but regret as you could do without?

I got it with no options. I didn't want any of 'em. I don't regret it.

6. Do you ever have kids riding in the back? I know the back is small, but do your kids have enough room with all their goodies and what not? (I don't plan on having kids in the car 24/7, but it'd be nice to get a feel of what other people experienced with this question)

My 12 year old has ridden in back comfortably.

7. Snow. I live in Ohio and snow is almost a guarantee every year. How does the Abarth operate in the snow? I do like that it’s FWD for snow states, but do you use your stock tires or do you purchase snow tires? I've only owned small cars and have always used stock tires in winter, but every car is different.

Ask me after the first snow in Philly....

8. I’m 6’ and 189 lbs. I’ve read conflicting stories of how guys who are 5’ 10” have issues with cramped legs over long distance or how guys who are 6’ 4” are just fine. Again, this is more to do with long trips as I've sat in them and feel fine for short commutes.

6'3" and 220- no issues in my Cabrio.

Robert Nixon
09-13-2013, 03:33 PM
-I think the Abarth has plenty of power. If the long hill is an issue, drop into 4th and get back on the gas. Same thing to pass.

-It's a small car, so it will ride more bumpy than a Camry! 16 inch wheels

-My air pump died after I used it a lot at an autocross, so I went to walmart and bought another one, they're everywhere and cheap. Also have a can of Fix A Flat, but I'm not worried about breaking down....since in the past 35 years of driving I've had 1 flat tire I can remember...and the Abarth comes with Fiat road assistance.

Babbles
09-13-2013, 04:31 PM
6'3" and 220- no issues in my Cabrio.

Do you have any issues with not being able to see out of your rear view mirror when the top is down--example, in heavy traffic? How's the noise when the top is down when on a highway or Interstate?

Babbles
09-13-2013, 04:39 PM
-It's a small car, so it will ride more bumpy than a Camry! 16 inch wheels
I have a base '98 Honda Civ DX and it's "bumpy" but durable. I just don't want it to ride like the mini cooper coup s which is just jaw shattering when hitting bumps.

-Also have a can of Fix A Flat, but I'm not worried about breaking down....since in the past 35 years of driving I've had 1 flat tire I can remember...and the Abarth comes with Fiat road assistance.
It's a good point. I've only had a flat twice that I can remember, and only one occurred on the Interstate--but it was on a Sunday so that sucked.

AnthonyV
09-13-2013, 07:11 PM
1. Plenty of power everywhere in the powerband. In sport cruising at 70-80mph on interstate in 5th just a little roll onto the throttle is all that's needed to climb/pass everything just fine.

2. Comfort is excellent. This car has a more comfortable cockpit for me then many larger car's I've driven. I have the 17" wheels and have no issues with bumpy roads at any speeds. We have a freeway here in Southern California called the 405 that is notoriously bad in terms of surface. It is terribly rippled and bumpy, and even at highway speed's the car is fine. It's rougher then pretty much any interstate highway I've ever crossed and the car still feels plenty tolerable. Off highway, as long as you take the same discretion you would with large dips and potholes you would any vehicle you'll be fine.

3. I've not had any issues with comfort. The car is plenty comfortable in my mind for long trips. I actually quite enjoy taking it on long drives.

4. The tire foam and compressor would be fine for fixing any puncture you might pick up like a nail etc. If you we're really concerned I'd say you could probably throw the doughnut spare from one of the other 500's in the back if you wanted along with maybe a little mini jack.

5. Mine has everything except for the sunroof, leather heated seats, auto climate etc.... The only thing I really wanted was the 17" wheels, but the only car they had on the lot that had them when I went also had everything else. While none of the options would have been a deal breaker for me either way, it just happened to have them, and they we're willing t get me to the payment I wanted, so it all worked out. It even has the "Beats Audio" sound system lol. I'm no sound system aficionado by any means haha, but admittedly, on long drives I like the satellite radio, and it even sounds pretty damn good haha.

6. I don't have any kids, but depending on age, I think real little ones could be comfy back there on long drives. Any teenage or larger kids might get pretty uncomfortable back there on a longer drive. I'm 6"3 and tried sitting in the back just for the hell of it once. It's extremely tight for me, but I think I could survive it even just for a quick cross town ride.

7. Where I am in California I don't get snow, but if I did I think this car would be fine in it. At least at stock ride height, if it we're lowered etc... may be a different story. While I have driven this car in snow, I've driven lots of others in it. I think with traction control on and sport mode off, you'd be fine. If it we're driving through a full season of snow though, I would swap the 17" out in favor of maybe standard 500 wheels with winter tires on them. Given the amount of 500 owners that buy aftermarket wheels, you could probably find a set of them cheap, and just slap some good winters on them. I wouldn't have any gripes about driving this car in the snow at that point.

8. I'm 6"3 240lbs (I'm a big fella haha) and I fit in this car just fine in every aspect. I have more headroom and leg room in this then I did in my 06 WRX (my knees are further from the dash in this. On long drives I'm totally comfortable in this car.

(9) Go buy one already lol! This is the most fun car I've owned in years! And I can say with all honesty, I've owned quite a few (performance vehicles at that).

DesmosDromos
09-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Do you have any issues with not being able to see out of your rear view mirror when the top is down--example, in heavy traffic? How's the noise when the top is down when on a highway or Interstate?

Yeah, the rear view mirror is kinda useless with the top all the way down. Noise isn't bad. It's bearable at 80, but the stereo is hard to hear!

ReconTopher
09-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Yeah, the rear view mirror is kinda useless with the top all the way down. Noise isn't bad. It's bearable at 80, but the stereo is hard to hear!

The trick with the mirror is to take it off and move it up the windshield about 1.5 inches, then the angle is fine and you can see.

JoeB
09-14-2013, 01:47 AM
I've had my Abarth Cabrio a few weeks, and have done a bunch of hundred-mile runs. At 5'-7", 175 lbs. the cloth seats are very comfortable. It's a relatively stiffly suspended little car, so you'll feel the bumps on rough roads (I have 16" wheels), but it's nothing like a Cooper S. I've driven that torture rack, and no one should ever have to.

The Beats, Sirius XM, and climate control were must haves, and I'm very happy with them. The ragtop is awesome. The visibility issue with it all the way back was alarming until I realized you can see the tops of cars if you tilt your head up a little. That combined with the side mirrors is sufficient.

Power? Oh yeah. Most of the time there's plenty of go in Sport Mode without a downshift, but you'll do it anyway. The racket this car makes while down-shifting and darting through traffic is addictive and hilarious. Buy one right now!

Babbles
09-14-2013, 01:05 PM
The trick with the mirror is to take it off and move it up the windshield about 1.5 inches, then the angle is fine and you can see.
When you move the mirror up the 1.5 inches, do you lose any visibility when you close the top or is the back window large enough that the move isn't very noticeable with looking in the mirror out the back window?

wilbmeister
09-15-2013, 09:16 PM
I agree with what's been said here and just have a little to add. I'm 6 feet tall and go 225. I have the sunroof. I have had the car on 4 trips of 6 hours or more. It is comfortable and I have experienced no leg cramps. I do not hit my head on the roof so that is not a problem.

As far as snow goes, we have quite a bit here in western NY (200+ inches/year). I purchased snow tires on dedicated wheels. The few months I drove in snow was fine. Adjust your driving to normal winter conditions and you'll be fine.

I have all the power I need to pass and go up hills. I do not have to down shift out of 5th at highway speeds.

Babbles
09-16-2013, 11:14 AM
When you do the long trips, are you equipped with the 17s or 16s?

hownowcb
09-17-2013, 10:53 AM
I've done a 500 mile Thursday, an Abarth Track Experience Friday, a 500 mile Saturday trip on 17" wheels & tires just fine. I'm 63, 6', 185 lbs and have had three spinal surgeries. For me, the Abarth is perfectly comfortable. The leather seats fit my butt and back just right, and I have no problems whatsoever with the steering wheel/shifter/pedal/seat height relationships. I discovered long ago, that having and using cruise control is a godsend, allowing you to move your legs and feet around to prevent back fatigue on long distance jaunts.

SilverBane
09-18-2013, 08:59 PM
1. I feel more confident passing in fifth in this car then I do in my a4 in sixth. That car has 100 more tq. If you need to get around something quicker, 4th is nice.

2. 17" here. I find it can be a little bumpy over speed bumps, but fine otherwise. That being said, we have pretty decent roads here in the lower mainland, bc.

3. I drive about an hour and a half daily for work and it is very comfortable. I have been in the car for up to 4 hours at a time and was comfortable. Only issue I have is that when it is very hot out, i find the leather very uncomfortable (As in it is not very breathable). For reference my audi has Alcantera/Leather combination.

4. I do not fear the flat issue, that is what road side is for.

5. I personally think the dash looks better with the regular temperature controls, but I wanted the auto...I did not get a sunroof and I wish I had. I love the blue&me integration with the tomtom, even though it is kind of an annoying position.

6. I've had friends in the back and they said it was tight but not unbearable. It would not be a primary car for children however.

7. I have not owned it through winter yet. I have the pirelli's and I am currently looking for winters regardless. The crappiest winter tire is always better then the best all season. I would think the car should be fine in the snow. Has ABS, ECS, and FWD.

8. I am 5'10" and 180lbs. My only complaint is sometimes the position of the pedals is uncomfortable after stop and go traffic. I think it is just an adjustment thing. If I drive it the way I drive my Audi, I get uncomfortable, if I remember I am in the Fiat, I can get comfortable as well, but it is a different position. I have zero issues with headroom, but I dont have a sunroof.