PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Windshield

wildeyed
09-11-2013, 02:21 PM
My windshield cracked spontaneously - a line from the bottom edge up into the lower part of the front window. Anybody else encounter this? The warranty doesn't cover windshields, which is understandable when you are talking about stone chips and such, but a windshield that simply cracks of its own accord seems to be another story.

ScorpionSkins.com
09-11-2013, 02:25 PM
My windshield cracked spontaneously - a line from the bottom edge up into the lower part of the front window. Anybody else encounter this? The warranty doesn't cover windshields, which is understandable when you are talking about stone chips and such, but a windshield that simply cracks of its own accord seems to be another story.

This was common with the earlier model Minis....hope this doesn't catch on because it would very much imply a manufacture fault. Are you driving stock or lowered setup? Best of luck resolving the issue. If it's obviously not a rock chip, I'd pester your local studio until they get tired of hearing of you, and when that doesn't work, start pestering someone higher up in the chain at Fiat/Chrysler.

wildeyed
09-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the reply, ScorpionSkins. One of the reasons I'm asking the group is to see if this is widespread or not. My car is stock - no modifications to the ride at all.

Fiat500USA
09-11-2013, 08:35 PM
As far as I recall, I never heard anyone report this before. I've heard about people getting cracking windshields here, but it has been from impacts. A stone got kicked up when I was on the highway doing 65mph and it chipped and cracked the windsield..

timl0413
11-27-2013, 09:19 PM
I purchased a fiat recently and found a crack on my windshield, the same as you discript, from the bottom edge to the lower part. Have your dealer assist you solve this issue, my dealer took a picture 1.5 month ago, and told me they will send in for investigation, I've been follow up with them since then.

Last time I call, they say the investigation is ready. but the person in charge is not there and ask me to call back; and I call back again today. they told me the Fiat hasn't approve yet, and there's no estemate date.

jserianni
12-02-2013, 11:39 AM
I also have a cracked windshield. It's a hairline fracture running from the top lip of the windshield down, on the passenger side. I don't see a point of impact. And I didn't hear an impact either. I drove the car Thanksgiving to visit family. There was no crack when we parked the car. When I got back in the car two days later, I saw the crack.

I called my dealer and they said they'd take a look at it. Apparently, they will use a pencil or a pen to see if there was an impact. And they will photograph the windshield and send the photos to Fiat. The dealer says Fiat will have an answer concerning warranty coverage within an hour.

Wildeyed, how did this get resolved for you? Did Fiat replace the windshield under warranty? If not, how much did replacement run you (if you don't mind me asking)?

jserianni
12-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Forgot to mention: Abarth, no mods, 16 inch wheels.

Tweak
12-03-2013, 01:55 AM
Forgot to mention: Abarth, no mods, 16 inch wheels.

Welcome to the forum, hope they get you fixed up soon and under warranty!

bryanintowson
12-03-2013, 10:22 AM
I picked up a rock a few months ago. Had to replace the windshield after the chip spiderwebbed. Modern European cars have extremely soft glass because of the Euro pedestrian safety standards. As Top Gear puts it a "pedestrian has to be able to get up and laugh and then walk away" after being hit. I would be really surprised if the glass cracked on its own accord. It's likely you may have picked up a rock or debris and not noticed it until the crack spread.

sophiashi
08-01-2014, 09:59 PM
I got the same problem today. I saw this thread, just wonder how you guys solved the problem. Thanks.

Wolfepaw
08-03-2014, 06:05 PM
I got the same problem today. I saw this thread, just wonder how you guys solved the problem. Thanks.

I've come to accept that these are the worst windshields ever on these cars. I'm on my third one in a year for my 500L. This one too now has two cracks in it. I've decided to just leave it until a cop makes me replace it.

sophiashi
08-11-2014, 07:10 PM
I've come to accept that these are the worst windshields ever on these cars. I'm on my third one in a year for my 500L. This one too now has two cracks in it. I've decided to just leave it until a cop makes me replace it.

What? This is not right. I am at the service center right now, the service guy admitted it was not uncommon either. They quoted me $600+. Now that i see your post, should i be concerned that multiple incident will occur?

Tributoferrari2014
08-14-2014, 06:54 PM
I was cleaning my car and found out there's a cracked on the windshield(right buttom side-passenger)went to the dealer so they can check and replace it.the manager and the service guys put there pen where the crack is and they couldn't fine anything how did it cracked because the outside is smooth.so they take a picture and they will order me my new glass.free of charge.....car is only 2months old

Tweak
08-15-2014, 12:15 AM
I was cleaning my car and found out there's a cracked on the windshield(right buttom side-passenger)went to the dealer so they can check and replace it.the manager and the service guys put there pen where the crack is and they couldn't fine anything how did it cracked because the outside is smooth.so they take a picture and they will order me my new glass.free of charge.....car is only 2months old

Welcome to the forum. Nice it is being fixed on their dime.

Marz
10-15-2014, 06:53 PM
Hi everyone, I was reading your post and I too had my front window crack for no reason. I got into my car a month ago and looked up and there was a crack coming out form behind the area where the rear-view mirror hangs. It was only about 2 inch at the time...so i thought. I got out to look at it and it was from the edge of the glass down to all most the edge of where the plastic on the rear-view mirror ends and then hung a left. There is no impact spot and I have had nothing hit me so far. I'm beginning to thing my little Fiat 500L is a lemon. Any advise on how to approach the dealership to have them take responsibility? Thank you

Tweak
10-15-2014, 11:37 PM
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of the problem you're having. I don't really have any advice to offer other than if you can show them others have this issue and convince them it is not in any way your fault... Good luck!

bryanintowson
10-16-2014, 09:53 AM
When I was younger, my Dad had a 1987 Isuzu Trooper with possibly the most vertical windshield ever. I think he replaced it once, but both windshields looked like they'd been in a firefight against someone with a machine gun. Rocks everywhere just embedded in it. The 500L strikes me as similarly vertical.

Saberg
02-13-2015, 01:19 PM
Now I have a cracked shield also. Started at the bottom (no apparint impact visible) almost dead center of the windshield. I will update after I get it to a dealership.

rnddude
02-13-2015, 03:23 PM
I got a rock-induced chip in my front windshield almost a year ago, and despite my expectations, it has NOT grown into a crack! Go figure....

AreWhyAyEn
02-13-2015, 08:54 PM
I find it odd for someone to say its common, I've been at a Fiat dealership for 16 months, and have not seen a single fiat with a windshield crack. And to note regarding someone posting that their dealer took pictures months ago and still dont have an answer, thats BS theyre feeding you. You get a response to a digital imaging claim either within 15 minutes m-f. if late in the day, next day. If late friday or saturday, early monday. sometimes you have to go back and forth a bit if they doubt its a legit claim, but the longest i've fought for one was a couple days. a couple months means "crap, I forgot to submit those pictures, Ill feed him some BS and see if I can find the pictures somewhere and submit.... " then they forget... again.

Edit: Windshields that are cracked WITHOUT outside influence i.e. any chips whatsoever no matter the cause (pretty much just means stress cracks or manufacture defects) are only covered for 12 months, 12,000 miles...pretty much without exception.

BigDaddySRT
02-13-2015, 11:12 PM
My ABARTH just had her windshield replaced a month ago... $200 deductible, or $650 bill with Safelight???

I chose the deductible.

ONETINSOLDIER
02-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Just joined the forum and it appears I've joined the "cracked windshield for no apparent reason" club as well:dispirited:. Bought my 500 Sport Dec 2013, sat in the garage till May 2014. Woke up to a cracked windshield 30 Jan 2015. No impact, no outside influence (save the weather). The crack starts somewhere under the fascia aprox center of car & runs upwards to about the wipers then makes a hard left & right towards both outside edges. Car is stock, 16.8K and is 40 days past the warranty. I live in North Bay, car was bought in Toronto, no "studio" here. Dearlership says no can help, past warranty, Fiat/Chrysler says no can help, past warranty. I've applied to CAMVAP for arbitration, they've sent me a claim package based on an initial survey of the issue. I'm curious to know if anyone has gone this route (arbitration via CAMVAP) with the windshield issue? Cheers.

jenandmyk97
03-04-2015, 07:17 AM
My Pop has it's 4th windshield! We have gone the deductible route also. One of them was installed incorrectly so that one was free! I stay as far away from dump trucks! The one incident I have no clue where to crack came from!

MAZ
03-04-2015, 12:45 PM
I was on my 3rd windshield (that had also cracked).

On my second windshield (safelite NON OEM replacement) had developed a thin crack across the bottom of the glass in the black part on the glass.
This crack developed the day after the glass was installed.
THIS is a stress crack from installation / from a non OE windshield. Safelite replaced this windshield with a OE FIAT windshield and I did not have the issue.
Until a rock hit the glass about 2 wks later, lol.

The thin crack on the bottom is a defect or from improper installation, and Safelite should replace this as they did for me.
Demand OEM glass.

aelfwyne
03-04-2015, 11:07 PM
My windshield gas battle scars all over it from 17000 miles lived mostly on i10. I don't do!low closely, but rocks fly up from other lanes and apparently from nowhere. Safelite did a total crap repair on a bullseye that should have been replaced. I did a better job on another. There is a s!all crack below the wiper.

Two weeks ago a rock hit me while I was on the feeder lane by myself. No idea where from. It busted a section the size of a grapefruit. Went to Binswanger glass since safelite had done such a crap job on the bullseye. Since it is a 2015 they said only the dealer had the glass. I was told 5 to 7 days but it has been two weeks so far and haven't heard a thing...

The glass on these things is so damn fragile. I wouldn't be surprised if they start jacking up rates on comprehensive coverage to cover all the claims. Its the only real problem with these cars and seriously needs to be fixed.

Abarth619
03-04-2015, 11:36 PM
For the people who were victims of windshield cracks due to rocks, have you considered windshield protection like this? http://www.clearplex.com/ I had it on my FJ Cruiser and it was great. There was almost no distortion and it did a excellent job of blocking the rocks. The FJ was especially prone to cracks due to the very upright windshield.

aelfwyne
03-05-2015, 09:25 AM
For the people who were victims of windshield cracks due to rocks, have you considered windshield protection like this? http://www.clearplex.com/ I had it on my FJ Cruiser and it was great. There was almost no distortion and it did a excellent job of blocking the rocks. The FJ was especially prone to cracks due to the very upright windshield.

I've thought about that. They don't list the Flat 500 so I would need to request a custom quote. Hopefully it wouldn't be too much.

Tweak
03-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Clearplex seems like a nice solution but a 1 yr 12K mile warranty and the impacts leave a mark plus it needs their solution to be applied to maintain it...not certain it'd be ideal for many. Just going with the Mini since it is close in size you've got a $180ish investment so maybe it wouldn't be too bad. The video of the rock impacting is impressive.

http://youtu.be/x8pW3_zFUr8

cmd1172
04-14-2015, 11:19 PM
So is it just me, or do the windshields cost 4 times as much as any other windshield for a reason?
1 very small chip, not even visible, spider webbed out overnight. it was above the rear view mirror.

BigDaddySRT
04-15-2015, 07:39 AM
So is it just me, or do the windshields cost 4 times as much as any other windshield for a reason?
1 very small chip, not even visible, spider webbed out overnight. it was above the rear view mirror.

My windshield received a stone chip right above the passenger side windshield wiper arm... the next day it had spread and cracked the window.

bryanintowson
04-16-2015, 08:44 AM
It cracked the window, too?

kenyanguy
04-16-2015, 09:50 AM
This is the kind of crack that I had on my windshield. It was not an impact crack, and it initiated from the edge of the screen. My car was still under warranty so I took it to the closest Fiat Studio, in Annapolis MD, and they looked at it, took pictures, uploaded it to corporate, and within a week I had a replacement windshield on mine. Didn't cost me a penny (especially via deductibles through insurance).

chikit
04-29-2015, 12:54 AM
Same thing happen to my windshield. I noticed it today.

wordofgodspeak
02-15-2018, 06:35 PM
I have a 2016 Fiat 500 Sport. Love the car, however recently there started a loud vibration noise in the center of the dash up close the area where the windshield goes below the hood. It was pretty loud and I wasn't sure what it was. Before I could take it to the dealership, I was driving and just as the vibration noise stopped there appeared a crack in that same area coming up from under the lower windshield trim by the hood and working up about 4" and then going across the bottom of the windshield too about right in front of the driver's seat just above 2" where the wipers rest. I took it to Palman Fiat Chrysler in Kenosha, Wi. and they took pictures of the crack and also discovered that there were several spider cracks starting from the same place but going towards the passenger side of the vehicle. The dealership was less than helpful or interested in what cause the crack. They said that they would get back to me in a few days. They never called . So after a week I called to speak to the service representative from my first visit and was informed that the Saturday the day after I was in that he was no longer with the dealership. I was referred to Paul another rep. I left him a message and he didn't call back, so after 2 days I called him back and he wasn't sure what happened to the pictures. Said he would call me back the next day but again didn't call. I called 2 more times for Paul but was only able to leave a message. After a week of waiting I called the Service Supervisor Jay and was only able to leave a message. After 2 days I had yet to hear from Paul and now Jay. So I called the Fiat USA Customer Care and spoke with Lindsey. She tried to call those same Dealership individuals without success. She stated that I would have to go back to the Dealership and have them look at the windshield again. I told her that it was almost 3 weeks now with any contact back from them and that it was 30 miles to that Dealership who wasn't calling back. She stated that there was nothing that Fiat could do because the Dealership was privately owned and they didn't have to abide by Fiat USA. I told her that they were representatives of Fiat as they sold the Fiat USA product and that the warranty and service was required by Fiat USA to enforce the warranty. She said that she wasn't able to do anything except try to have the Dealership to followup with me the Customer and that she had tried to call them but there was only the ability to leave a voice message. I asked if she had done that, and she said that she did not leave a message. I said that this was not the way to be a Customer Service Rep or to supply good Customer Service Support. She said she could connect me and I could leave a message. I aid that I called Fiat USA Customer Service because the Dealership wasn't calling back. She said that that was all she could do. That same day Jay the Dealership Service Super finally called me back and said that they had found the pictures and would submit them to Fiat because they decide if they will warranty the windshield. I said I was surprised that the Fiat Tech didn't even look at the car to determine why there was a vibration noise and then the windshield breaking. Jay didn't respond. Nor did he or the first person I talked too when I took the car in, nor the Customer Service Representative ever even mention that there was a 12000 mile warranty or 12 month coverage for the windshield. Today I received a call from Dave at the Dealership stating that Fiat USA refused to cover the windshield because I was past the 12 month/12000 warranty. I stated that they never even determined what cause the windshield to break the way it did and that there must have been something to do with the vibration and break at the same time. He asked how I knew that. I said because that was why it was brought to the Dealership to begin with. He just said sorry and to have a nice day. So who all has had their windshield crack like this because there is some kind of defect or workmanship failure here. The whole Dealership/Fiat USA Customer Service experience was horrible and ther needs to be someplace where I can file a complaint as well as make them warranty this windshield