PDA

View Full Version : Opinions

Deffmikey
09-11-2013, 01:14 PM
To piggyback or not to piggyback? Which one is the question? There are a few and I want the best bang for my buck.

Kurumi
09-11-2013, 02:17 PM
A piggyback tune and pedal mod were two of the most noticeable changes I did for my car. The pedal mod (GoPedals from TWMPerformance or PowerPedals from Magnetti Marelli) changes the throttle response and makes the pedal feel sharper and there is a noticeable lack of hesitation. The piggyback tune (TMC, Madness, Road Race Motorsports, or MM) woke the car up and gave it the power it should have from the factory. You'll hear people say one is better than the other but at the end, get whatever you can get a deal on. I bought my MM ECM/PP set for a steal on the forums and others have bought their used EMCs (TMC/Madness/RRM) for cheap as well.

ScorpionSkins.com
09-11-2013, 02:21 PM
I'd like to, but warranty hesitation limits me from considering a piggyback. A pedal mod is a possibility, but I'd like to take things slow (enjoy the car stock for at least a little while).

I'm confident proper ECU tuning will one day be possible, at which point I'll give it a more serious consideration. I loved my Cobb tuner for the Mini S when I owned it, and am looking forward to similar support for the Abarth in the future.

If I were to pick a piggyback at this point in time, I'd probably consider the RRM, considering the comparisons and reviews I've read.

FTY
09-11-2013, 02:33 PM
A piggyback tune is the best bang for your buck, as far as power to price ratio goes. A piggyback unit is the safest way to make power without having to worry about warranty issues because they are not traceable and many units TMC/RRM use block off plugs so you can physically remove the unit from the car without having to remove the harness. They work in front of the ECU and the ECU simply does not know its there and there is no permanent/temporary files written or erased on your ECU. Definitely the best way to go, these units also take advantage and work with other mods to make power such as Exhaust mods and intake mods. I and many others have been running a TMC/RRM unit for over 20k with no issues.

Until there is a "true" tune for these cars its basically the only way to go.

Block off plug:
http://www.eurocompulsion.net/TMCplugstock1.jpg

09-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Go get one you will love it!!! Its how the car should have left the factory and youd never want it stock again. Dont worry the warranty as theyre easy to remove if needed too. Nearly 50k on my Abarth with both MM products and no problems or issues at all. They are a fantastic mod and the increase in power is very noticable :)