PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Fiat 500 fuel economy/transmission/TPMS for a year

witchcraftz
09-10-2013, 09:22 PM
I've had a 2012 fiat 500 sport auto/tip for about a year now.

Since the first couple of months I have felt that the car has issues with the transmission and with poor fuel economy. I have been to the dealership a dozen times and all they have done so far is reset the various Control units.

Descriptions of issues

Transmission:
I had issues with slow shifting and clunky shifting early on, went to the dealership and they upgraded the software.
Seemed to run better afterwards.

2 months ago was driving on the highway in auto, and for no reason I lost power and the Revs just skyrocketed, turns out the transmission had fallen out of gear! Had to pull over and tun off the engine, once re-started it was fine again but made an appointment with the dealership, they found nothing wrong.

2 weeks ago was driving over small mountains, found the car couldn't accelerate. It happened randomly during the trip there and back on uphills, downhills and flat areas. I drove in tiptronic mode and going downhill, from a speed of 110 km/h couldn't keep up the speed. Ended up in 3rd/4rth gear at 80 km/h on a downhill and still had problems going that fast

On the way back for a period of 20 seconds the check engine light flashed continuously, then stopped and hasn't done it again.
Went to the dealership yesterday, they found no fault codes in the ECU.

Fuel economy:
When I got the car it was averaging 12 L/100km, this was the number showing on the average fuel economy indicator. The dealership did some reset/software upgrade procedure and it got better - according to the indicator.

However after logging 20,000 km in the car I find I can still only average about 500 km from a tank of 70% highway and 30% city.
My calculations show that this is about 8 L/100km, way over the average 6-7 L/100 km most people report.

The kicker is that despite what my calculations show, the car's fuel economy indicator shows 6.8 L/100km
Once again the dealership says there is no fault codes in the ECU or problems with the car.

Other random issues:
The front end randomly has a loud loose rattling sound,
brakes squeak,
car stalls on starting every 10th time,
the TPMS module and all sensors have been replaced and it still keeps saying: "TPMS system unavailable",
and there's probably other stuff I can't remember right now.

I am at my wit's end, the dealership technicians are obviously not interested in doing a real repair without the ECU showing a code, however the ECU never seems to show codes, even for the TPMS failure which has been there blinking at me for the last year!

I have a KII-USB vagcom cable (and soon to have a HEX+CAN usb Vagcom cable) for VW/Audi/Porsche. Can I use this cable with a Fiat software to read if there are codes?

Does anyone have an idea of what could be happening? I loved all the times I rented this car, but now that I've bought one, I'm starting to hate it. :(

Robert Nixon
09-10-2013, 10:33 PM
That sounds like a substantial list, especially if the TPMS has never worked! Maybe a different dealer could do a better job. If there isn't one close, I'd want to have that dealer bring it up with FIAT at a higher level, and tell them I expect the TPMS to work at a minimum.

Might be worth trying anyone else's OBDII reader, even at the autoparts store and just see if there is a code that the dealership isn't telling you about, since they don't seem to be very good.

audreycampaner@att.net
09-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Aha....,,, Good luck,,, we seem to have the same problem with dealerships and no one seems to know what is going on. We have had fuel problems also, filled up Saturday rode about 30 miles around town and yesterday we were on empty, and also the starting problem, forget about that, we have been to the dealer many times, once they kept it almost a month and acknowledge there was a problem but they had no fix for it now.

Fiat500USA
09-25-2013, 09:06 AM
Aha....,,, Good luck,,, we seem to have the same problem with dealerships and no one seems to know what is going on. We have had fuel problems also, filled up Saturday rode about 30 miles around town and yesterday we were on empty, and also the starting problem, forget about that, we have been to the dealer many times, once they kept it almost a month and acknowledge there was a problem but they had no fix for it now.

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear you are having some troubles. You mentioned that you went through a full tank of gas in 30 miles - that's 10 gallons or 3 mpg. You may want to check that because a car would have some serious and very noticeable driveability issues for that to happen.

Ultrarider
10-02-2013, 01:59 PM
I too am having the same problems. I was provided a loaner while my car is in the shop. They told the gas tank was full and I needed to fill it up on return. I drove the 10 miles to my house and the gauge reads 3/4 tank so it used 2.5 gal in 10 miles???

It seems multiple people are reporting the same problems and the leading response is try a different dealer. The responsibility belongs to Fiat. If they have bad cars and dealer they need to fix it.

Looks like Fiat will again be leaving the U.S. Market.

My dealer has a lot full of un-sold 2011 built cars.