PDA

View Full Version : Possible next gen FIAT 500?

MADNESSLuckyJay
09-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Looks like the front of a 500L, not sure I like the bigger headlights but overall really dig it!

http://i.imgur.com/Ru8QCYC.jpg

http://www.icarreview.com/fiat-with-big-plans-for-the-model-500-in-the-u-s/

Andree
09-10-2013, 06:17 PM
That, I believe, is to be the in-between model, that seats five. The vehicle between the 500 and the 500L. Then the headlights make sense, making the model stand out. Easy to identify. The consumer who wants one won't be confused with the vast array of 500s and one that is a little bit larger. As an addition to the Fiat line, it would be awesome.

However, if that's a new design for the 500 in general, I'm glad I bought when I did. It has none of the retro cues that I like about my car. It's not just me who likes the retro look, there are at least another million people who bought the 500 as it is.

And I hope they square off the back wheel hole. It looks stupid with one round one and one squared one. It just looks like a kit for the front end. It looks unfinished.

ScorpionSkins.com
09-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Not a fan. Reminds me of this monstrosity (2014 Mini spy shot):

http://img.digitaltrends.com/image/mini-2014-spy-shot-650x0.jpg

JoeB
09-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Wow..no. Why would I want a 500 with a 500L front end? The 500L is a cool little wagon, but, if anything, it could use more of the original 500's style, not the other way around.

Andree
09-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Not a fan. Reminds me of this monstrosity (2014 Mini spy shot):

Right! I was thinking of the 500 morphing into a Mini, and not in favorable terms.

With a hint of the Studebaker Avanti on the nose. http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/autos/1006/gallery.hagerty_flops_to_winners/8.html

msjulie33
09-10-2013, 11:55 PM
However, if that's a new design for the 500 in general, I'm glad I bought when I did. It has none of the retro cues that I like about my car. It's not just me who likes the retro look, there are at least another million people who bought the 500 as it is. .

+100!

Andree
09-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Wow..no. Why would I want a 500 with a 500L front end? The 500L is a cool little wagon, but, if anything, it could use more of the original 500's style, not the other way around.

What would you think if it was the in-between model? Between the 500 and the 500L, a bit longer, wider?

Andree
09-11-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm still hoping for a four door version of our car, plus a longer luxury two door. Oh, and the luxury 500e.

Fiat has a million ways to use the current looks of the car, to make variations with significant differences without changing the overall look of the vehicle. I would much rather see them do vehicle variations of the current appearance than make a new look.

There are interior differences, like adding a heated steering wheel. Or adding the City Brake system for safety. Or the City button for making it much easier to turn and more responsive. Sort of like the Sport button, but the steering needs to be lighter, easier, not stiffer.

Redesigning the back seat to make it FOLD FLAT.

Small improvements, that increase the usefulness of the vehicle, making it into a no-brainer choice when it comes to small cars. Improvements plus variations is better/greater than redesigning the exterior into something no longer the same vehicle.

Don't change a good thing.

Many consumer products are updated, current versions discontinued, and I am disappointed. Because I really liked and used the products that were available. And, no, the new products aren't the same, and no, I won't buy them with the same fervor I once bought the previous items.

Meanwhile, there are products that are pretty much the same as they have been since my childhood, and I still buy them. Bonne Bell Ten-O-Six lotion. I found it again last year. I used it in my early teens, 20s, 30s. And am now using it again in my 50s. They changed the packaging, and I do admit the new container is less likely to spill and easier to handle. But the product itself is the same color, scent, etc. It's been around since before I was born.

And some sweets, like Mother's frosted animal cookies. Those pink and white with sprinkles ones. They went out of business, came back with a new owner, and went back to making the products I had in my lunch bag as a kid. Or Hostess, who recently came back.

There's something comforting, reassuring about the familiar staying as it is.

All the stories we've heard about strangers remarking on our cars and about their own Fiat experiences...those will be gone. The front end of the vehicle in the picture is not at all like the older version, or like the current version. No, it doesn't look like the Fiat 500. Of any kind.

Yes, the current version is substantially larger than the original, but it has the same essence. Change that essence, lose the fan base.

Chico Valdez
09-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Very aggressive!
But the headlights at least lack the surprised look of the Mini. Lol!
Looks like it'll have turbo power, wonder if it's going to be a drop-in from the L? Depending on weight, it might be on-par with the T performance-wise, and maybe even be almost as 'quick' as the Abarth.
I like it, but for what it is. The Abarth is still my favorite, and the 500 line overall 'cause I'm fan of old stuff to begin with.

Macchina Divertente
09-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Personally, I'm not a fan of the front end on the 500L, and pray they don't use the look on the 500.
That will kill any future purchase of a new one.

JoeB
09-12-2013, 05:49 PM
What would you think if it was the in-between model? Between the 500 and the 500L, a bit longer, wider?

In spite of the name, I don't think the 500L looks much like a 500. It is its own sort-of-a-CUV model, and that front end should stay with that series. In my opinion, a slightly stretched 500 (see: MINI Clubman) should look like a 500.