PDA

View Full Version : Detailing

Luv2byte
09-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Are any of you into detailing your cars? I love to do clean up the cars - door jams included.

Rough & busy day today, hubby knew that cleaning the BMW & Fiat would perk me up so suggested I clean them & he would help. He always does things to help - gets water buckets ready, washes windows, cleans tires, picks up hose...it's nice to do together. He was right, I'm in a much better mood.

I wash with Mother's but recently ordered Optimum No Rinse car wash, excited for it to get here this week to try out. I then wipe down the cars, spray the tires with high gloss tire dressing then every other wash or so (so far I've done it twice in the Fiat, needs the extra protection) I use micro fiber towels to gently wipe on Meguiar's Quick Detail. Man it's so pretty! Repels water & dirt really well. A couple times a year I also use Meguiar's Quick Wax.

It's all pretty basic & easy to do, nothing fancy or near as good as a pro but my cars look really good!

cmj912
09-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Are any of you into detailing your cars? I love to do clean up the cars - door jams included.

Rough & busy day today, hubby knew that cleaning the BMW & Fiat would perk me up so suggested I clean them & he would help. He always does things to help - gets water buckets ready, washes windows, cleans tires, picks up hose...it's nice to do together. He was right, I'm in a much better mood.

I wash with Mother's but recently ordered Optimum No Rinse car wash, excited for it to get here this week to try out. I then wipe down the cars, spray the tires with high gloss tire dressing then every other wash or so (so far I've done it twice in the Fiat, needs the extra protection) I use micro fiber towels to gently wipe on Meguiar's Quick Detail. Man it's so pretty! Repels water & dirt really well. A couple times a year I also use Meguiar's Quick Wax.

It's all pretty basic & easy to do, nothing fancy or near as good as a pro but my cars look really good!

I am obsessed with detailing. Did you check out the 'Detailer's Room' thread?

Fazzster
09-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Keeping my cars clean and detailed is an obsession (much to my family's dismay). I usually do a clay bar 2X a year (spring and fall). I tried many waxes through the years. Recently I have been using P21s wax and paint shampoo. After I dry the car I go back over it with an air compressor and spray all the remaining water out of the crevices. I use a microfiber along with Griots spray wax to dry it off. I highly recommend the Griots spray wax. The key to clean glass is using surgical hucks with a good ammonia free glass cleaner. Preferably the foaming kind like Stoner. The surgical hucks do not leave lint behind like micro fiber can. Use 2 hucks, one to spread the glass cleaner the second one to wipe it all off.

jcunny33
09-10-2013, 05:43 PM

My wife will tell you that I clean/detail something on my Fiat every day...and it's true. I love a shiny/slick car, clean windshield, a front bumper/hood with no bugs, clean wheels/shiny tires and clean interior. I admit one thing I do is hand pick the floor mats in between vacuuming and wipe off lent from the dash inside before I can drive. If there is a lot of stuff on the mats I just take them out and brush off by hand. A little love a day goes a long way in keeping my "Little Red Buggy" happy.

The wheels with brake dust is the hardest part...as soon as they are clean the dust is right back. I'm using Poorboy's "Spray and Rinse Cleaner" which really cleans without wiping if you can get it sprayed on all wheel surfaces.

I wash with "Turtle Wax Rinse Free Wash and Wax" (like your Optimum). I keep a spray bottle with water only to spot clean and then use Poorboy's "Quick Detailer Plus" to keep the body clean and shiny in between wax jobs. Everything is done with a rotating supply of microfiber cloths.

Ok...it's good to make a public confession. I think we are normal.

Corrnaus
09-10-2013, 05:53 PM
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?3619-car-detailing-what-product-do-you-use&highlight=ammo

This thread should help you out.. I use only AMMO products on my car and love them. Also the owner does the best videos on have to clean your car in a save and effective way

http://www.ammonyc.com

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
09-10-2013, 09:49 PM
I stepped in something really sticky, not gum but there is some kind of residue that is left on the clutch and dead pedal. 409 and a paper towel just made it worse. It is dark outside now so I will wait till morning to go at it again but do not want to ruin the rubber strips. What to use?

Luv2byte
09-10-2013, 10:29 PM
I am obsessed with detailing. Did you check out the 'Detailer's Room' thread?

I didn't realize there was such a room, thank you! I've honestly only looked in the "L" forums.

Corrnaus
09-10-2013, 10:33 PM
I stepped in something really sticky, not gum but there is some kind of residue that is left on the clutch and dead pedal. 409 and a paper towel just made it worse. It is dark outside now so I will wait till morning to go at it again but do not want to ruin the rubber strips. What to use?

Steam cleaner would get that off easy. I have one and use in on the whole interior, leather and all. It is great for killing bacteria also and will save you of $$ of cleaning supplies.

n00dle
09-11-2013, 02:57 AM
I keep it as simple and effective as possible. Unless it's for show my days of spending hours detailing are done. I use the same procedure for my motorcycle and cars. If its not being used, it's under a cover. If its being used I'll wipe if down with a wet microfiber towel daily, once in the morning and sometimes one more time in the afternoon. If there's dust that has accumulated I'll dust it off with a duster before wiping it down. Doing it this way always keeps it clean enough for me. I find that I don't need to use anything but water and a microfiber towel. It just plain works and prevents any wax or sealant from being removed or having to reapply more periodically. I use SmartWax products, easy on and easy off and just works. I also don't have to wash doing it this way. If I wash, it's maybe once or twice a year.

cmj912
09-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Steam cleaner would get that off easy. I have one and use in on the whole interior, leather and all. It is great for killing bacteria also and will save you of $$ of cleaning supplies.

Goo Gone! :) There's also a product called Sticker Shock. Cheap and easy.