PDA

View Full Version : SCCA South Carolina Region autocross SEP 28 Myrtle Beach

Robert Nixon
09-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Registration is now open for our region's next solo event, in scenic North Myrtle Beach, at this page: http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/21BEECC2-A758-D7FE-F279D5F5273B16AE#.Ui54nNTD-Uk

The SC Region is HAPPY to have Fiat Abarths entered, so please come out and join me so I'm not the only one!

Right now I'm in 2nd place in the G Stock category, and a good day here could move me up to 1st.

Robert Nixon
09-25-2013, 10:34 PM
about 58 total cars entered, only 4 of us in G Stock so far, you have until midnight Eastern Thursday night to enter on line. After that you can register day of the event this Saturday in Myrtle Beach. Weather should be low 70s with no chance of rain.

Robert Nixon
09-29-2013, 01:53 PM
we ended up with about 75 cars on site yesterday, with great weather, and very smoothly run event. I had fun, but ended up 3rd out of 4 cars in GS. First place was an absolute smokin' hot Nissan Sentra something or other model that they used to make and the guy driving it on Hoosier tires set the fastest PAX time not only in our class but in ALL the stock classes. I was beat out by my friend in the V6 Mustang, and barely edged out another friend with a VW GTI, the three of us within a few tenths on a very very tight short 35 second circuit in our cars. The Sentra guy ran a 31 I believe, and the top 2 pro drivers were getting into the 27 second range, which was just incredible for this tight course. I'll find a a link to my son driving it so you can get an idea of how tiny the course was yesterday.

While most autocrossing comes down to driver ability, I just felt like there was something I was missing yesterday in getting faster, and even though I tried both 2nd gear all the way and downshifting to 1st a few times, the course managed to defeat me!

The South Carolina SCCA region's next autocross will be Sunday OCT 27th at the Michelin tire testing facility up near Greenville SC. This will be a huge course since they have such a large facility there, so I'm looking forward to running that one as the opposite of yesterday!

Robert Nixon
09-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Youtube link of a Miata running the course, he got into the 31 second range on the 2nd run here but hit one cone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mWPTWP4rns&feature=youtu.be

abarth&911
09-30-2013, 03:48 PM
You are right that was a tight course, the opposite of what I had. Which gear did you used, 1st or 2nd ?
Did you were in the power band?

Robert Nixon
09-30-2013, 03:53 PM
I tried 2nd all the way and felt like that was bad on the two 90 degree turns that were also uphill, so then I tried downshifting to 1st there, but it just didn't make much difference that I could tell. We are still waiting for the times to be posted on line, so while it was fun to drive and very challenging on the short course, maybe I could have tried 1st gear all the way but didn't think of it at the time.

abarth&911
10-01-2013, 10:07 AM
That’s what I saw at an event with slow 90, if you get the rev too low in 2nd you get off boost and then it take some time to get back under boost again. One can do left foot braking and stay on the gas a little to keep the boost up but you can run into the problem of some said here on the board that the system detect gas and brake at the same time and go into a limp mode. Anyhow left foot braking take a lot of practice to get it right.
1st gear might have work, the rev limiter on our car is very smooth there is no real cutoff (pop,pop,pop) like other car. It just seem that it slowly back everything up and keep the rev up. I’m used to the cutoff type, when I hear the 1st pop, I judge how much is left before braking and decide to shift up or not.
I found this more difficult to do with the way the Abarth cutoff.