PDA

View Full Version : Uconnect 6.5 locking up in NAV mode

MaxPower
09-09-2013, 03:45 PM
I took a recent trip driving over 12 hours and continued to see problems with my Uconnect 6.5 head unit. Several times it restarted without warning in which it would completely power off and then restart. A couple of the times this happened while trying to enter an address in the navigation, but it also would do it will just listening to the radio.

The biggest issue happened where it would just "lock up" in the navigation mode and would not allow me to do anything with the unit except change the navigation settings. None of the hard buttons would work and there was no way to switch to a different mode (Radio, Media, Phone, etc). I even shut the car off and removed the key, but when I restarted it it was still locked up. I eventually had to shut it off, remove the key, open the door, wait and then restart the car before it would reset the Uconnect and then work again.

Of course now it is working again and I am unable to recreate the issue… thus it is impossible to get it "fixed" at Fiat.

Has anyone else seen similar issues?

Here is a youtube video showing the issue:

http://youtu.be/efpIMccrm08

Wolfepaw
09-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Not near that bad, but I have had mine randomly reboot a couple times. One time while entering an address in the NAV and another time just driving down the road listening to the radio. Came right back up both times. One time the volume locked and would not let me change it. That one cleared once the car was turned off and back on.

Indie500L
09-09-2013, 04:50 PM
I know that nav screen is limited to only a few functions but that works like a windows computer! Locks up randomly and mine has similar problems with crashing and restarting.

Crundle15
09-09-2013, 09:09 PM
I had an issue where I could not get mine to turn off. Even after I took the keys out and got out of the car my radio was still running. The power button wouldn't work and I had to restart the car several times before I was able to get it to turn off.

n00dle
09-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Just a suggestion... it may need a reboot, try pulling the fuses in cavity 5 and 10 located by the steering column.

MaxPower
09-18-2013, 08:37 AM
It happened again today, but this time it locked up when I went to the audio settings. Same issue. I have posted another video.

http://youtu.be/db2tbPuGrrU

Indie500L
09-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Is the unit hot? is the Dashboard HOT? when it locks up? That almost looks like the display is frozen but the buttons still detect being pressed - can you operate the radio with volume and change stations using the knob with the screen locked up?

AGAIN with the Ad to the right of the video window cutting it off - is it just my Chrome browser or do other have this same problem with youtube imbedded posts? OOPS now the ad moved to my post and I can see the entire video!

MaxPower
09-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Is the unit hot? is the Dashboard HOT? when it locks up? That almost looks like the display is frozen but the buttons still detect being pressed - can you operate the radio with volume and change stations using the knob with the screen locked up?

AGAIN with the Ad to the right of the video window cutting it off - is it just my Chrome browser or do other have this same problem with youtube imbedded posts? OOPS now the ad moved to my post and I can see the entire video!

No, the unit and the dashboard were not hot.

The screen was not "frozen" in that it still worked. It would just not Switch to any other screens. Same as when it locked up in the Nav mode above. The hard buttons would not change the screen. The volume did not work either, although I was able to mute it.

Indie500L
09-18-2013, 04:46 PM
It really sounds like a software problem since hardware really would not behave like that - all the controls stopping at once but still registering that they are being pressed as in your video clicks when you pressed the screen. It would be interesting to see if there is some cabling connecting the controls to the radio through a single cable connector that could be common to all the non-functioning controls which could narrow it down to hardware or software. hummm

ivanelmy
11-01-2013, 07:38 AM
Just had this same problem happen on my new 2014 500L Lounge. We bought it in mid September, it's been fine the last month or so, but then starting about a week ago, it locked up on the bluetooth connect screen. It was still playing the music from my phone, but none of the hard buttons worked and couldn't change to Nav. Turned car off, back on, it started working again. About an hour later it did it again, and wouldn't unfreeze for about 5 minutes. Turned car off a couple times then it started working. Haven't had this happen on Nav yet, but I rarely use nav since I mainly drive locally. Since the initial occurrence it has happened 2 more times, one of them last night. Each time the music continues playing, just none of the hard buttons seem to work, nor do the soft buttons on screen work. Definitely seems like a software issue. Hopefully they come up with a fix for this soon, it's pretty annoying on a new car with less than 1k miles on it. I don't think temperature is an issue because it was about 50 degrees outside, didn't have the heater on.

Luv2byte
11-03-2013, 10:41 PM
For the first time ours locked up yesterday. It's random rebooted in nav twice so far but first time for locking up. I had phone connected to USB port, all was fine. Stopped for a couple mine, left phone in USB port, turned car back on...nothing. I could switch between radio, nav, sat, phone (media) but nothing played from anywhere. Turning it off really just blanks out the radio, not really off so it didn't help. When we stopped for gas it worked when we turned car back on. No issue since.

brandibug6
11-17-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm not having trouble with mine locking up, but instead my screen is shaking up and down randomly while running. It does it in all modes, not restricted to one mode. It also doesn't do it all the time, but sometimes worse than others.

Hal
04-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Does any have at 6.5 uconnect radio that allow the "TMC" nav function to operator? I am told the the manual is wrong and my 500L 2014 purchases Nov 2014 does not have this function. It makes the nav system poor at best to not be able to know the traffic on the route which I plan to drive!

big9erfan
04-29-2014, 02:20 PM
My wife had this happen a number of times. She just took it in for the transmission recall notice and they said there were a few other updates they applied. She hasn't had this happen since, but it's only been about a week now, so I'm not sure it's enough time to say it's fixed or not.

FiatCACares
04-29-2014, 04:05 PM
My wife had this happen a number of times. She just took it in for the transmission recall notice and they said there were a few other updates they applied. She hasn't had this happen since, but it's only been about a week now, so I'm not sure it's enough time to say it's fixed or not.

big9erfan,

I'm happy to hear your Studio was able to perform a few additional updates while the recall was completed. Did you notify the dealer that it had experienced an issue? I would recommend monitoring the system and letting the dealer know if it returns. Intermittent issues can be difficult, however, if the dealer is able to duplicate the concern, it would certainly benefit the diagnosis process.