PDA

View Full Version : Motul 600/660 Brake Fluid

SLOWAbarth
09-08-2013, 05:32 PM
After a couple of track sessions in the Abarth, I realized how weak our brake system is... I'm sure I cooked the stock fluid a little but It showed very little signs of pedal pressure drop off.

I decided to flush the system and replace the fluid with Motul and surprisingly I could feel a difference immediately, the pedal has more bite at small inputs...

The brake system feels stronger and more consistent... Just an FYI for you guys who know how to brake late into the corners, swap out the stock fluid.... It's worth it! bigclap

I'll be getting Brembos soon for this little monster... The wilwoods have a flexing issue during hard proper braking and once they are at high temps... Basically they are weak in a sense...

trevc
09-08-2013, 06:44 PM
I have the ATE Blue racing brake fluid in my Abarth and love it.
Unfortunately it has just been withdrawn from the US market because our Government thinks we are stupid and cannot tell the difference between blue brake fluid and blue anti-freeze. :nightmare:
I will try the Motul at the next change as it sounds like it is good stuff!

msjulie33
09-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Unfortunately it has just been withdrawn from the US market because our Government thinks we are stupid and cannot tell the difference between blue brake fluid and blue anti-freeze. :nightmare:

I know seriously? I've used Racing Blue and I never once got confused! The whole point of having 2 colors of the ATE is so you could swap colors each time but of course most folks probably don't know you're supposed to change brake fluid every couple years, sooner if stressed with track driving etc..

TubeDriver
09-09-2013, 02:30 PM
I will try the Motul at the next change as it sounds like it is good stuff!

You can still get the Gold version which is identical (and will not color your brake fluid container).

I have used ATE and Motul 600. The Motul is better but costs twice as much. ATE works for most folks. My street/autoX cars use ATE, my track and race cars use Motul 600.

stealthy1ss
09-09-2013, 05:37 PM
I have been using Motul 600 for 2 seasons in the Abarth now at Road America and SLOWAbarth is right. Late breaking (dive bombing) people in corners is the best feeling in the world with these cars.

redred
09-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the review. I am in definite need of some new brake fluid and was debating which one to get.

Question though.... how hard is it to bleed your own brakes? Never done it before, but I cannot imagine it to be that hard.

Kurumi
09-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the review. I am in definite need of some new brake fluid and was debating which one to get.

Question though.... how hard is it to bleed your own brakes? Never done it before, but I cannot imagine it to be that hard.

It helps to have two people when bleeding brakes. Harder to do it if your brake fluid is clean and you are putting in the same color fluid. See here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/maintenance/4213448

mneuman916
09-09-2013, 08:48 PM

Pretty easy if you use a vacuum bleeder, makes it a one person job. http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/one-person+brake+bleeder.do?code=FROOGLE&gclid=CKCk59PNv7kCFZSd4AodHBYAvg

Giuseppe
09-10-2013, 02:44 PM
I picked up Motul 600 for an event this weekend at Buttonwillow. I have used it in the past and it is excellent.

Ryephile
09-10-2013, 03:06 PM
+1 for Motul RBF600. It has excellent brake feel, is easy to get and is affordable. ATE Typ 200 is a good backup fluid that's very reasonably priced and does everything well. Castrol SRF is of course the heat and longevity king but IMO gives up pedal resolution for those properties. I'd shy away from Motul RBF660 and recommend ATE Typ 200 instead. The 660's wet boiling point is markedly lower than 600, and the same as Typ 200.

Don't get too hung up on dry boiling points, the fluid won't be there for very long.

As an extension to this topic, if you're boiling fluid, it means your pads aren't aggressive enough and/or you need larger brake rotors. It's also important to match pad mu with the tires you're running. The whole setup needs to be in sync to get the most out of everything.

redred
09-16-2013, 07:15 PM
How much brake fluid does this car need? I think it's time for a brake flush.

n00dle
09-16-2013, 07:32 PM
1 quart should be plenty to flush out the old fluid on all 4 corners.

SLOWAbarth
09-17-2013, 09:36 AM
How much brake fluid does this car need? I think it's time for a brake flush.

1 quart should be plenty to flush out the old fluid on all 4 corners.

1 and 1/2 is what I used... SO, grab 2 bottles.

Ryephile
09-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Most brake fluids are sold in either 500mL or 1L containers. I don't recall a car that needs more than 1L for a flush, using a Motive pressure bleeder.

Use a drain bottle that you can graduate to see how much you've extracted from each corner, and remember the rear lines have more fluid in them and there are 5 corners including the clutch slave cylinder.