PDA

View Full Version : Hmm turbo help

Deffmikey
09-08-2013, 01:53 PM
So I am new to the turbo world, and I have a few questions. Are turbo blankets worth it and what do they do? Also I've seen turbo timers, if I am running a stock abarth should I leave my car run for a little to let things calm down after I've been drivin a while or is it okay to just shut down and go on my way. I want to make this car last as long as possible and I don't want to mess anything up, especially the turbo.

MrFiat
09-08-2013, 03:05 PM
A hundred people will likely chime in on this one, but The Abarth, (and likely the 500T as well), have an after-run turbo coolant pump that comes on automatically when you turn off the motor and runs until the turbo is safely cooled down. So feel free to simply shut the car off whenever you wish. The car will take care of the turbo cooling all by itself. Someone else will have to weigh in on the turbo blanket question as I'm from the screwdriver and carburetor era:wavey:.

Deffmikey
09-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Thank you mrfiat

enginethatcould
09-08-2013, 04:23 PM
I have a turbo blanket. I noticed that the turbo generated a lot of heat under the hood, being able to block some of that seemed beneficial. I purchased a Lava Blanket from 500Madness; works great, a lot cooler under the hood, and the difference is almost instant. I don't notice any performance gains, but I wasn't expecting any. Just a cooler engine compartment.

onederer
09-08-2013, 06:29 PM
I don't think a turbo timer is needed unless you are spending an awful lot of time on boost for extended periods of time, such as at the track or runs through the twisties. And that is only if you do not have time to cruise to a stop after wards. Like a cool down lap.

I come from the Subaru world and had a TT but only used it for such occasions. For everyday driving it is a total waste. Even after hard runs (glowing turbo if I stopped immediately), I would just give the car a nice 1 minute easy drive, then pull over and turn things off. The coolant circulation will do plenty good. I've checked the bearings on multiple turbos (Subaru cars) and have seen little to no oil coking or bearing scoring. So that tells me that the recirc. system and modern oils work . Hopefully the same can be said for the Fiat system.

The blanky may be of some use for mild performance increases, and may actually be more beneficial in terms of helping keep other under hood components from overheating. That being said, I wonder if it will affect turbo life due to the increased bearing and bearing oil temps as the heat that would normally bleed off under hood are now trapped by the blanket materials. It will certainly make the coolant recirc. system work overtime!

BigDaddySRT
09-08-2013, 07:33 PM
The After Run Pump only operates the coolant side of the Turbine, the engine oil continues to burn due to no circulation.

After driving the ABARTH hard, you need to drive the vehicle easy to allow the oil temperatures and turbine temperature to cool down.

RustyPaint
09-09-2013, 02:51 AM
I usually turn the car off as the last step after I park, take seat belt off, gather things ect. Seem like the 20 seconds or so is enough to cool the turbo down after some spirited driving. The after cooler only seems to come on 30% of the time with cooler days and the extra 20 seconds of idle.

09-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Turbo blankets worry me. That heat has to go somewhere, I just dont think theyre worth it or needed.

The after run pump will more than suffice for "regular" driving but if youre on it hard then give it a few minutes off boost before shutting down.

Good Luck

Deffmikey
09-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

deathshead
09-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Turbo blankets worry me. That heat has to go somewhere, I just dont think theyre worth it or needed.

The after run pump will more than suffice for "regular" driving but if youre on it hard then give it a few minutes off boost before shutting down.

Good Luck

Turbo blankets keep the heat IN, This makes for faster spool up and more efficiency.
It also keeps the heat AWAY from the things you dont want to get hot.

They have been proven effective. I have owned many turbo cars, this is the first one I ever ran with a blanket
and wrapped downpipe along with the Assetto Corse hood vents and the difference was pretty dramatic. it really does make a huge difference.

Turbo Timers are not needed, but a Little common sense is.
Oil and turbocharger technology has come a long way, along with Coolant after run pumps in the mix and its
not too much of a problem of coked up bearings these days on modern vehicles.

Basically dont run the turbo into extreme sustained high boost and immediately shut the car off and you will be fine.

If you do have a hard run say on your ride home from work, etc.. in a real world situation you will run the car hard, and putt around your neighborhood as you pull into the driveway. This is more than enough.

808Abarth
09-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Im also with not getting the blanket. Keeping the heat in your turbo like an isolated oven is not in my book. Ive seen longivity depreciate with blankets on top stock heatshield. Mayb holding in to much head isnt that great. But I see pro n cons from all aspects. Mayb the pump will help it not to over heat. And yes. There is a thing called to much heat.