PDA

View Full Version : abarth Tire pressure 16 wheels? What are you running

littlejohn
09-08-2013, 01:38 PM
I picked up my Abarth and the tire pressure was 42 psi sitting in the dirveway, all around, I've dropped them down to 40 and 34 going for drive today to see how it handles, sticker says 38F/32R...I read that 42 may be what they shipped the cars with. Anyone else have any advice on this?

Jjm4life
09-08-2013, 01:50 PM
I run 36/30. Feels good to me with 195s on 16x8 wheels

Indie500L
09-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Better to go a little higher as the tire will squeal less and you should get a little better fuel mileage + less heating of the tires. It will also handle hydroplaning better with higher pressure. Check the side wall for scuffing after some hard turns - if you are going up the sidewall you need more air pressure. The last thing you want is to drive over something and bottom out on the bead of the low profile tire and dent the rim.

Deffmikey
09-08-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm at 35 all around and it feel really good.

Robert Nixon
09-08-2013, 04:42 PM
I go with the recommended tire pressure in the manual and on the driver door frame.

Have tried less and more at autocross, but probably due to my lack of experience it doesn't seem to make any difference, so I don't see any reason to vary from Fiat specs.

DesmosDromos
09-08-2013, 05:24 PM
I go with the recommended tire pressure in the manual and on the driver door frame.

Have tried less and more at autocross, but probably due to my lack of experience it doesn't seem to make any difference, so I don't see any reason to vary from Fiat specs.

When running street tires at an autocross, I like to ad 10 PSI to the recommended cold pressures to start. Then chalk or shoe polish 3-4 point equidistant around each tire and add pressure if getting too much roll onto the sidewalls or bleed off a bit as necessary. Then tune it based on grip at front and rear- add pressure to increas grip or reduce to lessen it.

It's less precise than measuring tire temps, but is a good start. This only works with true street tires, though, not R compounds like Hoosiers and such.

jguerdat
09-08-2013, 05:40 PM
When running street tires at an autocross, I like to ad 10 PSI to the recommended cold pressures to start. Then chalk or shoe polish 3-4 point equidistant around each tire and add pressure if getting too much roll onto the sidewalls or bleed off a bit as necessary. Then tune it based on grip at front and rear- add pressure to increas grip or reduce to lessen it.

Also depends on the tire used. 10 psi would work for many lesser street tires but go with a tire such as the Dunlop ZII and the extra stiff sidewalls may not need as much. FWIW, I used 38-40 for the stock 17" Pirellis and slightly more for the Dunlops. Front pressures here, rears are still under investigation to try to get more rotation without needing to learn trail-braking.

littlejohn
09-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks seems to drive much better now that I lowered the pressure....think I'll leave it at 40/34 and see how it goes...it's a neat car.