PDA

View Full Version : MIL came on ...sad

Luv2byte
09-07-2013, 05:46 PM
We've only had our trekking 9 days & today after leaving our nieces cheer game the malfunction indicator light is on. The book makes it seem as nothing to worry about right away, that we should still drive it a few tomes to see if light goes off. We did stop to put in premium gas, 91 octane. We had 89 octane in it & was at half tank so in case it was fussing about lower octane we filled it up. Everything seems to be running fine but 60 miles home the light is still on.

Anyone know if the Portland, OR fiat studio is good or should I just take it to Tacoma (if the light doesn't go off soon)?

Indie500L
09-07-2013, 06:59 PM
The real question is ... is it running ok - any funny odor from the tail pipe or soot? Check the oil filler cap and the dip stick etc.

dart1.4t
09-07-2013, 07:06 PM
you can always take it to an auto parts store that does free code checking to get the obd2 code. if you know what it is you can have some piece of mind knowing how important it is.

Luv2byte
09-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Nothing seems, sounds or smells amiss. All seems normal. The manual says it might go away "after a few dive cycles". I went ahead & made appt for Portland fiat - kinda worried, the guy who made the appt wasn't very engaged in making the appt that I had to as him if he needed to know why I need to bring it in....kinda worried (about this dealership.

Wolfepaw
09-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Nothing seems, sounds or smells amiss. All seems normal. The manual says it might go away "after a few dive cycles". I went ahead & made appt for Portland fiat - kinda worried, the guy who made the appt wasn't very engaged in making the appt that I had to as him if he needed to know why I need to bring it in....kinda worried (about this dealership.

See my previous posts about the check engine light. There is a TSB for this.

Luv2byte
09-07-2013, 10:34 PM
See my previous posts about the check engine light. There is a TSB for this.

THANK YOU! I searched a couple forums but came up with nothing useable so I posted. Not sure why my search didn't pick up you post, I'm glad you saw mine though, much appreciated.

How long does it take to "re flash"? (10min, hour, couple hours...).

Dwaynek
09-08-2013, 12:37 AM
check that the fuel cap is on tight.

n00dle
09-08-2013, 12:55 AM
the 500L is not equipped with a fuel cap. it's a cap less system.

Luv2byte
09-08-2013, 12:58 AM
check that the fuel cap is on tight.

Well, I would if it had one :). But as I learned, after much useless searching first, there is a TSB available for this issue that is an easy software fix.

Fiat500USA
09-08-2013, 01:14 AM
Just an FYI for everyone. I put posted a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) forum here (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/forumdisplay.php?72-Service-Bulletins-and-Recalls) where you can check to see if a problem you are having is listed. Most of these you'll need your MDH (Month Day Hour) which is listed in the drivers door jam on the compliance sticker. You car read how to figure this out here: Decoding the Fiat 500 VIN (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2013/08/decoding-fiat-500-vin.html)

Luv2byte
09-08-2013, 01:46 AM
Just an FYI for everyone. I put posted a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) forum here (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/forumdisplay.php?72-Service-Bulletins-and-Recalls) where you can check to see if a problem you are having is listed. Most of these you'll need your MDH (Month Day Hour) which is listed in the drivers door jam on the compliance sticker. You car read how to figure this out here: Decoding the Fiat 500 VIN (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2013/08/decoding-fiat-500-vin.html)

Yup! I already printed it for Tuesday's appt - makes me feel a but better going with more knowledge, the guy making the appt seemed very bored with my issue & asking to bring it in. Only thing he was interested in was that we got it at a different studio.

Fiat500USA
09-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Yup! I already printed it for Tuesday's appt - makes me feel a but better going with more knowledge, the guy making the appt seemed very bored with my issue & asking to bring it in. Only thing he was interested in was that we got it at a different studio.

That was my hope that a little knowledge will empower people. It is a good idea for everyone to read up on these TSBs before going into service because the service writer may not be aware of the them. Also, if you stop by an AutoZone, they will scan your car and give you the code so you'll know if the code has anything to do with the TSB. One thing to keep in mind that some of these TSBs are very involving so the condensed version is here with just the main points. The dealers have complete instructions on how to implement them.

Once they bring your car into service figure the reflash taking about 20 - 30 minutes.

Luv2byte
09-08-2013, 12:32 PM
That was my hope that a little knowledge will empower people. It is a good idea for everyone to read up on these TSBs before going into service because the service writer may not be aware of the them. Also, if you stop by an AutoZone, they will scan your car and give you the code so you'll know if the code has anything to do with the TSB. One thing to keep in mind that some of these TSBs are very involving so the condensed version is here with just the main points. The dealers have complete instructions on how to implement them.

Once they bring your car into service figure the reflash taking about 20 - 30 minutes.

I know about Auto Zone reading codes, I live an hour from closest store. There Eli's a local shop that will read it for me but they are not open on weekends.

Nice to know the reflash doesn't take long. The studio is about 90min from me & I'm going to hit rush hour traffic on my way home so sooner I'm out of there the better :)

Indie500L
09-08-2013, 01:55 PM
the 500L is not equipped with a fuel cap. it's a cap less system.

yup that's why I didn't mention it - takes getting used to!!! Check out the TSB and get a free scan at a participating auto parts store.

Wolfepaw
09-08-2013, 03:57 PM

20-30 mins.....that's why they told me to count on leaving it all day lol, I hate dealerships.

Luv2byte
09-08-2013, 08:21 PM
20-30 mins.....that's why they told me to count on leaving it all day lol, I hate dealerships.

Fat chance, I will sit & stare at them in thier waiting area, not leaving it...my work schedule is too busy & the drive isn't an easy one to any studio. If it's just reflashed then imkill wait & they can work on my car at the pre reserved time :) they gave me.

Fiat500USA
09-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Generally what happens is the dealership will make a few appointments where people will wait, and then encourage the rest to leave their car. The problem with waiting is that if there is an unforeseen problem and the job takes longer, it backs everyone up and people get angry. When you leave a car, service can slot the car inbetween other jobs, or do two cars at once without having someone pace up and down the waiting room. A lot of these dealers don't have huge staffs so that makes waiting even more problematical.

When I say it takes about 20 -30 minutes, in reality the technician gets paid 18 minutes to do this, but you have to figure they have to spend some time to figure out what is going on with your car (this he may or may not be paid for). It may be clear cut or it may require additional diagnosis time. You want them to spend enough time on this to take care of the issue, so be prepared if it takes longer. If the car ahead of yours has an issue like this, it may impact your appointment schedule. Also, a lot of people like to add an extra "can you look at this?" to the work order and that makes keeping to the schedule even harder. My point is for anyone who has to wait at the dealer, you may wind up spending more time than you anticipate. If you go into knowing that, it will not be a surprise and hopefully, will cut down on the aggravation.

Luv2byte
09-08-2013, 10:01 PM
I live 90min from the studio. If the job is minor I wait, if it takes hours then I make arrangements to leave it a day or two. I'm not always a stickler but this time I plan to wait.

FiatCares
09-09-2013, 11:54 AM
We've only had our trekking 9 days & today after leaving our nieces cheer game the malfunction indicator light is on. The book makes it seem as nothing to worry about right away, that we should still drive it a few tomes to see if light goes off. We did stop to put in premium gas, 91 octane. We had 89 octane in it & was at half tank so in case it was fussing about lower octane we filled it up. Everything seems to be running fine but 60 miles home the light is still on.

Anyone know if the Portland, OR fiat studio is good or should I just take it to Tacoma (if the light doesn't go off soon)?

Many of the causes of the check engine light will correct itself after a handful of on/off ignition cycles. If it doesn't turn off, starts blinking or you experience other performance issues, have it checked out by a dealer.

n00dle
09-09-2013, 01:06 PM
The check engine light could be triggered by 100 different things; the easier one to check is the gas cap. See if it is tight.

hmm... really wasn't expecting this from you, FiatCares. The 500L is a capless system, this was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Indie500L
09-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Bet it's a loose muffler bearing - those darn muffler bearings are always throwing codes!!!

LOL

Luv2byte
09-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Well....once cruise cintrol stopped working until car was turned off & restarted. Today the MIL light went off for about 50miles, as soon as it came back on, cruise went off. It wouldn't come on until I stopped & when I restarted the car (less than 3min later) light on & cruise control back to normal.

Ended up with a meeting 100mi from home today so dealership visit was rescheduled to Friday.

Fiat500USA
09-11-2013, 12:45 AM
hmm... really wasn't expecting this from you, FiatCares. The 500L is a capless system, this was mentioned earlier in the thread.

A small slip of the tongue from someone trying to help, so I hope we can all be charitable. It is good advice for anyone who has a check engine light as most cars do have a gas cap, and it being loose is a source.

Luv2byte
09-11-2013, 12:48 AM
A small slip of the tongue from someone trying to help, so I hope we can all be charitable. It is good advice for anyone who has a check engine light as most cars do have a gas cap, and it being loose is a source.

Funny enough, when light came on the first thing we joked about is that there was no sense in stopping to check the gas cap :burnout:

n00dle
09-11-2013, 01:17 AM

Apparently so and no harm no foul. I was just pointing something out that was already brought to attention to help prevent misinformation. Had the thread been read before posting it could have been prevented. I understand it happens. I know who FiatCares is and his contribution to the board is much appreciated.

Luv2byte
09-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Update - the light has been off & on this week. Each time it comes on, if we have cruise control is on it kicks it off & prevents us from using it until we restart the car, evem if light still on. Light comes on if cruise is off, just disables it when light first comes on. When light comes on it flashes "service engine" then the MIL light illuminates. The light has been off since yesterday but took it in anyway.

They found a stored code relating to brake sensor but everything was fine & didn't show as an active issue. They didn't find any issues, all was fine. So after they checked everything they could I was on my way, in rush hour traffic. 10 miles down the road my uconnect system rebooted randomly, first time for this, but it started back up fine so I wasn't too concerned. Later in traffic, 5mph coasting, evic beeped, flashed "check transmission" then the MIL came back on. So....I called dealership, left car running when I got there, they actually met me at the service door & had a loaner car ready for me, '13 500 sport.

Luv2byte
09-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Well, good news is it's nothing major mechanical or safety related. Bad news is it's nothing obvious. I just called the studio for an update (since they didn't call me). The technician is working with Fiat engineers & everyone is stumped. The light has since gone back off & hasn't come one again. They can't figure out what it is except they've ruled out major mechanical or safety related issues. The car stays there longer & I gave them permission for "real world driving" so they can see it come on for themselves. It's came on with both hubby & I driving, first on with hubby & no scenario has been consistent. First time was as starting the car, then it's gone off while driving, on while driving w cruise control on @ 70mph, on with cruise control off at 5mph, off whenever it felt like it - after immediate restart & off after sitting overnight. Nothing is consistent for when it appears or disappears.

They said they will call tomorrow. At this point I'm ok just waiting until they figure it out & no news is no knowledge, meaning if I don't hear from them then they don't know what's wrong.

Luv2byte
09-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Today's Fiat update....
They THINK it's a faulty brake light switch. They are going to talk to Fiat engineers one more time & order the part within the hour. Car should be ready tomorrow afternoon, I asked they keep it (& I can't get there tomorrow anyway due to commitments), change the switch & test it for a day or two then I will be there bright & early Saturday. He agreed that was ideal since there isn't anything stating for sure this is the problem.

Luv2byte
09-20-2013, 02:59 PM
Talked to the studio. The part didn't come in until today, day later than promised. They are going to change the sensor out today, drive it until morning & I will call first thing in the morning before I leave the house. Hopefully good news if no light reappearing when I call tomorrow.

Luv2byte
09-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Well, I called when I was told to, actually about 30min later so they had time to get in the shop & get their work day started. the service manager asked me to call at 8am when they first open so I knew if I should head to Portland to pick it up. Well...the technician isn't in yet & they are going to rescan the car when he gets in, which is in about about 45-60min. He has been driving my car this week to try to pinpoint the error code & issue as well as verifying after the "fix" that it really was the fix & light doesn't come on.

Since I need to be back in town for an appt this afternoon it looks like I won't be picking up my car until late tonight or possibly Monday. I am not going tomorrow - we have plans & there is a huge rainstorm that is to be coming, ew. The studio has been very nice but been a frustrating, it's been a week to change out the sensor & retest, along with the fact none of the dates of promises being accurate. Sigh.

Luv2byte
09-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Studio called, car is ready, no errors or sign of any issues. We are picking it up tonight. Hope it goes well.

Luv2byte
09-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Picked up our car! They said when they looked at the part (stop lamp switch) after they replaced it the "plunger" was slightly different so it was a part manufacturing issue basically. The tech drove it home last night & had the computer connected to it to scan while driving, same thing this morning. No issues found. Happy to have it back. The sport was cute but I like my car better..especially if it's what I'm paying for.