PDA

View Full Version : Suspension questions on R3T and Assetto Corse models?

AnthonyV
09-06-2013, 09:32 PM
I've looked literally everywhere on the internet and can't seem to find what would seem like basic information you might find on these, especially considering the car's have been campaigned in motorsport for some time now.

I actually went so far as to try and contact a firm in Europe that sells/prepares these cars for it's motorsport customers. I got an initial response, but nothing further. I have literally tons of questions about these cars, but in hopes to simplify things, the things I'm most specifically interested in is their suspension. A few of the questions I'm looking for answers for are: (these are actually a copy/paste from my e-mail to them)

Who Actually manufactures the suspension for it? (i.e Bilstein, ProFlex etc... want to see who actually makes it?)

What are the actual specs on the dampers? i.e piston size, how many way adjustable, inverted or not front struts? etc.... Also not sure if you can divulge them or not, but what spring rates and length's one might run for rough tarmac?

What size anti roll bars are run for rough tarmac?

Does the R3T use the same suspension mounting points as the road car? Does it use the separate shock/spring mounting in the rear of the car, or are the rear shocks converted to threaded body suspension as well?

Does the R3T use the normal road cars suspension geometry, or have the suspension links been modified to change it? What are the actual differences between the road car and R3T in terms of suspension modification?

I actually sent those questions pertaining specifically to the R3T, but am equally interested in those same things for the Assetto Corse cars.

If anybody has a friend or family member maybe in Europe that races one of these things, and could answer any or a few of these that would be great! Or for whatever reason might know the answer to these.

Fiat500USA
09-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Hi Anthony, welcome to the forum.
I am not surprised they aren't giving you this information. Spring rates and other specifications have been determined by much development time and expense. I can imagine a Motorsports company wouldn't be quick to turn these results over to someone who may wind up being a competitor of theirs.

AnthonyV
09-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Hi Anthony, welcome to the forum.
I am not surprised they aren't giving you this information. Spring rates and other specifications have been determined by much development time and expense. I can imagine a Motorsports company wouldn't be quick to turn these results over to someone who may wind up being a competitor of theirs.

Hello! Thanks!

Right I could definitely see that being true if it we're competing companies all building their car's differently, but both the Assetto Corse and R3T are spec cars, and "one make race" type of cars meaning all the car's are built to identical specs, and race the identical cars. It makes it so the drivers are the primary variable. Pretty cool concept really and always makes for great racing. You can only use the parts that have been allowed in that specific series regulations, meaning there's no room for somebody to develop some new part to have an advantage over other teams since everybody has to run the same stuff, usually with the exception of adjusting things like tire pressure, damping, ride height, just dialing the car in type of things. Those are things teams competing in a series like that will keep close to their chest haha. I wouldn't expect them to divulge stuff like that.

Typically in a series like that, there is usually a list of parts so that somebody competing in the series can replace specific parts if they wear out or get damaged. I.E. if you bork a damper in a race you know which one you need to get in order to stay "within spec" for that series.

I actually literally just found what I was looking for online a few minutes ago from a PDF file on the site of the folks I originally contacted. It actually answers a good 90% of the questions I had in that first post.

lenswerks
09-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Contact TMC Motorsports. They have or had two of the cars for sale and may be able to provide some information.
info@tmcmotorsport.com

AnthonyV
09-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Contact TMC Motorsports. They have or had two of the cars for sale and may be able to provide some information.
info@tmcmotorsport.com

awesome! Thanks! That PDF answered a good deal of it for me, but it's always nice to be able to pick the brains of somebody that had their hands on one!

Giuseppe
09-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Extremetech makes the suspension for the Assetto Corse car.

They run the following setups.

Front
120/60
Optional Rates of
456.81 per sq/in (80nm)
513.91 " " (90nm)

Rear
200/60
Optional Rates of
513.91 (90nm)
571.01 (100nm)

AnthonyV
09-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Extremetech makes the suspension for the Assetto Corse car.

They run the following setups.

Front
120/60
Optional Rates of
456.81 per sq/in (80nm)
513.91 " " (90nm)

Rear
200/60
Optional Rates of
513.91 (90nm)
571.01 (100nm)

Thank you for that info! Yeah I had found out about the Extremetech dampers in that PDF, but not the info on the spring rates/length's. It looks like from what I found they also make the dampers for the R3T car. No chance you might have the spring rates/length's on that they use for tarmac set up is there :D

So do you have some experience first hand with the Assetto Corse? I can think of some other questions I'd love to ask as well?

Thanks again for the info!

Giuseppe
09-16-2013, 11:42 PM
No problem. As for the R3T, I do not have the info. But I will see what I can do.

I do have experience with the AC cars, but I do not know everything about them. What would you like to know?

AnthonyV
09-17-2013, 05:30 PM
No problem. As for the R3T, I do not have the info. But I will see what I can do.

I do have experience with the AC cars, but I do not know everything about them. What would you like to know?

That would be great! yeah if you could find what spring rates they use for tarmac on the R3T that would be awesome!

As for the AC cars, the other questions that come to mind right now are:

What are they running in terms of Anti Roll bar size front/rear? Are they even running larger roll bars given the big increase in rate they've made with the springs?

I read brief mention in one of the press releases from awhile ago that they had made some adjustments with electric power steering? Just wondering what they did? Is the electric power steering controlled through the cars ecu, or does it have it's own ecu? If it is tied in with the normal ecu, are they reprogramming the factory one? If so how? Like I said what I saw in the press was just a real vague mention of it.

Lastly, (for now at least, I'm sure I think of more haha) and actually not suspension related, other then what to me sounds like a straight through exhaust without a cat, and ecu tuning, is there anything else motor wise they do to the race cars?

Thank you again so much for taking the time to answer these!

shagghie
09-17-2013, 05:57 PM
IIRC, they have a resonator towards the top of the midpipe... based off of a picture of one that had rolled I saw awhile back.

AnthonyV
09-17-2013, 08:46 PM
IIRC, they have a resonator towards the top of the midpipe... based off of a picture of one that had rolled I saw awhile back.

Talk about getting a look underneath the hard way lol