PDA

View Full Version : Gear Indicator : Manual Transmission

Mario500L
09-04-2013, 11:33 AM
According to the owner's 500L manual (page 169 , PDF version) , the EVIC screen is suppose to display "Gear indicator" besides other informations , like Time, Outside Temperature, etc.

The manual is not clear if that option is available only on the "Automatic Transmission" model. Of course, on the manual transmission, you are suppose to know the gear you are, but a visual feedback on the EVIC would be nice.

Only to double check, to make sure, mine is not faulty.

n00dle
09-04-2013, 12:20 PM
is there a question somewhere in there?

Fiat500USA
09-04-2013, 01:00 PM
I get it. He wants to know if manual trans cars have a gear indicator in the EVIC.

cmj912
09-04-2013, 01:40 PM
99% sure the manual transmission 500L will not have it.

The 500 has a "shift" light in place of the automatic 500's gear indicator which is not operational. Most European carmakers have a bunch of disabled features in the cluster that American's don't like or don't use, such as headlight angle adjustment, choke, block heater/glowplug, and 'shift now' arrows. My friend's old Saturn SUV, however, has a giant orange plus sign that lights up (in the 4-cyl version) which is gigantic and either distracting or helpful depending on how you look at it.

Since in the 500L manual it does not appear that there is a way to turn the gear indicator on and off through the settings in the EVIC it would therefore be my assumption it does not exist in the manual cars.

Luv2byte
09-04-2013, 01:59 PM
99% sure the manual transmission 500L will not have it.

The 500 has a "shift" light in place of the automatic 500's gear indicator which is not operational. Most European carmakers have a bunch of disabled features in the cluster that American's don't like or don't use, such as headlight angle adjustment, choke, block heater/glowplug, and 'shift now' arrows. My friend's old Saturn SUV, however, has a giant orange plus sign that lights up (in the 4-cyl version) which is gigantic and either distracting or helpful depending on how you look at it.

Since in the 500L manual it does not appear that there is a way to turn the gear indicator on and off through the settings in the EVIC it would therefore be my assumption it does not exist in the manual cars.

My trekking came w engine block heater

n00dle
09-04-2013, 02:17 PM
oh, in that case no mine doesn't have an indicator.

Mario500L
09-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Guess, sounds then manual transmission doesn't have the "gear indicator". What is kind of odd, since the internal computer knows the gear, and would be just a matter to display "1", "2" , etc, as I believe the "automatic" transmission does on the EVIC panel. By the way, the definition as "Gear indicator" is not that clear also in the owner's manual. I am assuming is "1", "2", etc, and not an alert saying, "is time to switch gears", what is kind of "no point" for someone that knows how to drive a manual car.

cmj912
09-04-2013, 08:26 PM
My trekking came w engine block heater

Yes, block heaters exist...I meant the dash indicator for it. There was some discussion in the early versions of the 500 as to whether the indicator used as the glowplug and/or block heater (the indicator looks like a slinky) would function or not and it appears, in fact, that is it not used. I would be interested to know whether when your block heater is operating whether an indicator lights up.

In Europe this orange slinky icon lights up in the MultiAir diesel before you start the car.

Indie500L
09-04-2013, 10:20 PM
If you had any idea how a manual transmission works you would realize how many contacts to determine what gear you are in would be required so yeah no gear indicator for manuals and I have never heard of a car with it either. The automatic on the other hand needs one since you can't tell what gear you are in and it (the shift computer) also needs to know to prevent you from trying to put it in a gear that would exceed the engine operating limits. It will also override your gear selection if you exceed the engine limits in the gear you are in and up or down shift accordingly. And there are plenty of drivers out there that DO NOT know how to drive a standard even though they drive one. The upshift light is just monitoring the engine rpm and load and tries to save some fuel, when you can get the desired power from a higher gear it will tell you to shift.

Mario500L
09-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Hello Indie,

Well, let see:

1) "plenty of drivers out there that DO NOT know how to drive a standard even though they drive one". In that case, not sure why they bought a manual transmission in the first place.
2) "If you had any idea how a manual transmission works you would realize how...." . Car computers these days knows almost the color of the under ware the driver is using, and sensors are there for that, this is why the computer can calculate your "instant" gas consumption, etc. So sensors, at the best can be on the "gear shift", to give feedback to the internal computer. So , I really don't need to know in theory how manual transmission works, even I know how.

But I have my answer, bottom line, the "gear indicator" is not what I was thinking.

Have a nice day.

Indie500L
09-05-2013, 10:44 AM
I was trying to explain how complicated it would be to "know" what gear a manual transmission was in because they are not designed to indicate that. It would require a contact switch for each gear plus neutral mounted in the transmission and those signals fed into the display on the dash with more circuitry to translate that into numbers and letters which would increase the cost of the transmission. That unneeded complexity in a manual is why they cost about $1250+ less than the automatics. Because the automatic transmissions are designed to be controlled by computer they have "by design" the indicators for what gear they are in as well as the controls to make it shift.

And yes I have known a few people that drive a manual and do not know how to drive one ... just a fact not an opinion or criticism. I have had friends in my cars say Oh I though you had an automatic because I can shift so smoothly - I have gotten rides by other friends which give me a sore neck by their clutch work. My sister back in the days of college had a VW beetle and she only knew two positions for the clutch ... in and out . . . as an example.

zero
09-05-2013, 10:46 PM
From my experience with my Abarth, I have yet to test it on my wife's L but, it actuality reports the gear indicator to the computer and it can be read via a Bluetooth obdII adapter, torque, and a special fiat pid app. It will give you all sorts of info like the temp of the oil in the intake valves.

Heres the links to the apps in question.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ideeo.ftadvanced

zero
09-06-2013, 12:18 AM
So I just went out and took it for a spin, and indeed it does report the gear the car is in with a slight exception. It will tell you the gear your in after you have shifted the car and started moving. Also once you get to 5th and 6th gear it is reported as 5/6th just like it does in the Abarth. Another quick note I seen the boost get up to 20.1psi I guess that's where the extra torque came from.

Mario500L
09-06-2013, 02:27 AM
Great news zero. Now I only need to get an equivalent application for iPhone :)

As you can see by my license tag, Android is not going to work for me...

Indie500L
09-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Nice find zero! I bet they are doing a calculation with the RPM and the Speed to calculate the gear you are in and that's why you have to be moving for it to display.

Indie500L
09-06-2013, 03:41 PM
ouch $49.99

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashcommand-obd-ii-gauge-dashboards/id321293183?mt=8

Android . . . free!

zero
09-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Great news zero. Now I only need to get an equivalent application for iPhone :)

As you can see by my license tag, Android is not going to work for me...

Well you could grab a cheep android device, I switched to a iPhone 5 and just use a old android phone I have laying around for these types of things. Torque cost about $6? and the FIAT Adv cost about $4? I don't remember its been a while since I bought them. Then a Bluetooth adapter would cost you about $20 for a cheep one that will break with moderate usage in a month or a very nice one for $100. I would say get the cheep one and if you find your self using it a lot go ahead and get the more pricier one. Any iPhone app will require a wifi OBDII reader since apple limits what you can do with Bluetooth and they usually cost $100.