PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof Problem

Crundle15
09-04-2013, 10:19 AM
I have the Trekking with the sunroof and just had a catastrophe with mine. While driving home last night I hit the button to bring forward the sunscreen when I hear a loud cracking and ripping. I immediately stopped the screen and looked back to find the fabric hanging down. I've inspected it and have absolutely no idea what went wrong because there was nothing obstructing the screen. I'm waiting for a call back from my dealership but I'm dying inside. Has anyone else had this issue?7722

Tweak
09-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your issue but I hope the dealer resolves it quickly and easily!

Andree
09-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Good golly! Looks like roof draperies. Or perhaps a sail to raise out of the sunroof to get additional mpg.

Please keep us updated on what the dealer says it is. If it's something preventable or something broken or something that wasn't done during dealer prep for the car to be sold.

This is the first I've heard of a roof shade collapse/malfunction. And I come to this forum often.

Stuart
09-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Hello,
I had a very similiar thing happen with the sunroof shade in my brand new 500L. I went to close the shade and during the time it was closing the material shot forward from the back when it disconnected from the roller and actual covered my face when I was driving. Made an appointment with the Fiat Dealer and he provided me a loaner car and mentioned it was going to take a few days because Fiat corporate wanted to check it out because they had never seen it before and it was a safety hazzard. I was pretty disappointed with a brand new car that was already having safety concerns.
However, I can say my Fiat dealer went the extra mile. He provided a loaner car for the inspection and actually removed another sunroof shade motor and cover from another car because of the delay in parts. This happened 2 weeks ago and as of today it is working.
My Fiat dealer definetly took care of this issue and so far so good.

Crundle15
09-09-2013, 09:03 PM
I went by the dealership and they said they'd never seen it happen before. They're ordering the part but a its a week later and its still not in. In the meantime I have to drive with the sunroof perpetually exposed which is really annoying, especially on hot days when the sun is glaring right in my eyes.

Tweak
09-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Hello,
I had a very similiar thing happen with the sunroof shade in my brand new 500L. I went to close the shade and during the time it was closing the material shot forward from the back when it disconnected from the roller and actual covered my face when I was driving. Made an appointment with the Fiat Dealer and he provided me a loaner car and mentioned it was going to take a few days because Fiat corporate wanted to check it out because they had never seen it before and it was a safety hazzard. I was pretty disappointed with a brand new car that was already having safety concerns.
However, I can say my Fiat dealer went the extra mile. He provided a loaner car for the inspection and actually removed another sunroof shade motor and cover from another car because of the delay in parts. This happened 2 weeks ago and as of today it is working.
My Fiat dealer definetly took care of this issue and so far so good.

Welcome to the forum. Scary situation but glad it worked out and things ended up being resolved.

I went by the dealership and they said they'd never seen it happen before. They're ordering the part but a its a week later and its still not in. In the meantime I have to drive with the sunroof perpetually exposed which is really annoying, especially on hot days when the sun is glaring right in my eyes.

Hopefully they'll get this resolved soon!

FiatCACares
09-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Crundle15,

Sorry to hear about your problems with the sunroof? Did your studio mention an ETA when the new part will be available? If you would like additional assistance and to discuss your concerns in more detail or have any questions, please PM me and I'd be happy to review with you.

my500L
09-11-2013, 10:43 PM
I had this happen on the 500L I test drove! Fortunately it was the sales person who had tried to close it and not me. I bought a 500L Trekking without the sunroof because of this.

Tweak
09-12-2013, 09:57 AM
I had this happen on the 500L I test drove! Fortunately it was the sales person who had tried to close it and not me. I bought a 500L Trekking without the sunroof because of this.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new L.

DD Florida
09-20-2013, 07:24 PM
I have the Trekking with the sunroof and just had a catastrophe with mine. While driving home last night I hit the button to bring forward the sunscreen when I hear a loud cracking and ripping. I immediately stopped the screen and looked back to find the fabric hanging down. I've inspected it and have absolutely no idea what went wrong because there was nothing obstructing the screen. I'm waiting for a call back from my dealership but I'm dying inside. Has anyone else had this issue?7722

Let me know what the dealer is doing about this situation. I have had my trekking for three weeks now and today I went to close the sun screen and it made an awe-full noise and came down completely on one side. The dealer said that hadn't heard of this and that they could take a look at it next week. so for now I have it tucked in up front. Very disappointing on a new vehicle.

Bekabum
09-24-2013, 11:32 AM
I just had this same sunroof problem with my 500L. Barely even a month old. :( I will have to take it to the dealer today and see what can be done. Thank goodness for full warrenties.

jabird101
09-24-2013, 03:19 PM
I smell a TSB at the least and a full recall at the most. This could be damaging to the car at the least and seriously dangerous at the worst.

Crundle15
10-05-2013, 11:22 AM
One month later and I'm still driving around with a ripped shade. I called to check in with the dealership and they said they're still waiting for the part to come in. Very disappointing :-(

Andree
10-05-2013, 07:36 PM
One month later and I'm still driving around with a ripped shade. I called to check in with the dealership and they said they're still waiting for the part to come in. Very disappointing :-(

Oh no! So sorry to hear this. The Curse of the New Model! (lady screams in background).

It's the biggest problem with any new model vehicle, simply being a new vehicle. No, there aren't stacked up extra parts sitting at every dealer and giant warehouse. No, there aren't aftermarket shades you can buy and install that are more opaque or covered with reflective dots on the top side to reflect the sun. Or with a cool pattern only seen by low-flying aircraft.

Because it's a new model, and has gone through testing, it's assumed that most of the design problems would have been ironed out long ago. But that's rarely the case, as it seems every new model ends up having some peculiar thing go wrong. And they won't have the part on hand, because it wasn't supposed to fail.

In my opinion, they should at least get started on it, by removing the old one, or trimming back the fabric so as not to present a hazard. Make it look decent while waiting for the part to come in. So that all it appears to be from the inside or outside is that you have the shade rolled back. Or close to it.

Is the sunroof operable with the shade mechanism where it is? Or has the lead edge of the shade been pushed all the way back?

UomoNuovo
10-06-2013, 08:30 AM
My 500L Trekking with sunroof has a sunshade that scrapes on the black plastic "cover" that is up in the roof separating the front moveable glass from the rear panel. As the shade retracts or is pulled forward it scrapes on the warped/mis-alligned plastic cover that spans across the car. Sloppy FIAT. I've tried "snapping" the plastic cover back up into place but it just appears to be warped... Don't know if there are other impediments along the shade track that are helping cause some of these fabric pulls/pops??? good luck and let us know. thanks -

drphil
10-10-2013, 04:17 AM
the dealer didnt atleast give you a loaner or a rental car?

drphil
10-11-2013, 03:28 PM
after reading all this my trekking just happened right now :confusion:

Luv2byte
10-11-2013, 03:51 PM
after reading all this my trekking just happened right now :confusion:

I think I'm happy that I'm not one to open & close the screen.

drphil
10-11-2013, 04:16 PM
I think I'm happy that I'm not one to open & close the screen.

yeah... i open and close every day and i only have about 450 miles on my car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/lyx201/20131011_122005.jpg

Andree
10-11-2013, 09:31 PM
drphil, did this happen while opening or closing?

I'm trying to figure out how this is happening. Do we know how the sunroof operates?

Something has to move the front bar along the side tracks to close. That's all that may be necessary if the material passively unwinds and is pulled solely by the mechanism moving the front of the shade, the lead edge bar. Now, if it's not passive, and the lead edge sticks on something, and the material continues to feed, you'd get you have in the picture.

To open, not only does the bar need to move to the rear, but the material has to spool/retract on something and into somewhere. If there is a material spooling assembly, and it doesn't work, there's a pile up.

If it's like draperies or shower curtains, and simply gathers, there should be a cord or something running through either side of the cover. And if that isn't retracting properly, again, the pile up.

Does the sunroof cover become absolutely inoperable when this happens? Is the material completely ripped out of the back, where it would normally retract into? If you tried to close it at this point, does the cover do anything? Like will the material stretch back out and over the sunroof and not fall down?

drphil
10-12-2013, 02:53 AM
drphil, did this happen while opening or closing?

I'm trying to figure out how this is happening. Do we know how the sunroof operates?

Something has to move the front bar along the side tracks to close. That's all that may be necessary if the material passively unwinds and is pulled solely by the mechanism moving the front of the shade, the lead edge bar. Now, if it's not passive, and the lead edge sticks on something, and the material continues to feed, you'd get you have in the picture.

To open, not only does the bar need to move to the rear, but the material has to spool/retract on something and into somewhere. If there is a material spooling assembly, and it doesn't work, there's a pile up.

If it's like draperies or shower curtains, and simply gathers, there should be a cord or something running through either side of the cover. And if that isn't retracting properly, again, the pile up.

Does the sunroof cover become absolutely inoperable when this happens? Is the material completely ripped out of the back, where it would normally retract into? If you tried to close it at this point, does the cover do anything? Like will the material stretch back out and over the sunroof and not fall down?

It happened when it was closing. I usually use one touch auto close but today all of the sudden it stopped halfway and hearing clicking/noises then it stopped and everything just fell..

Andree
10-12-2013, 05:45 AM
It happened when it was closing. I usually use one touch auto close but today all of the sudden it stopped halfway and hearing clicking/noises then it stopped and everything just fell..

So it sounds like you're saying the first thing to happen was the lead edge stopped on it's own.

Even though the lead edge that would meet up near your rear view mirror had stopped, noise continued? Or there were clicking/noises, THEN the lead edge stopped, and the fabric came out of the back/rear area, and pretty much fell out of the track area, leaving you with draperies?

Or that the lead edge stopped, there were noises, and those noises then stopped, and the fabric fell?

What does the "it" refer to in "then it stopped"?

Does anything happen if you try to open or close it now? Or have you tried to do anything to the screen since the screen failure occurred?

There's something else I thought about, if the material where it's gathered and hidden away was to get snagged on something when the leading edge is moving forward, it would stall the closing procedure, until finally giving way, and perhaps like an elastic band that has been stretched, the whole amount of material zooms out.

So that the clicking noises could be from the lead edge trying to go forward and being stuck, until the material or material holder part breaks.

Would so love to see pics of the inside guts of the roof cover operating mechanism, when it's being repaired. Wish we had an expanded (blow apart?) diagram of all the assembled parts and where they go and what they do for that roof shade.

Did the material fall/gather almost instantaneously? Or was it a slow thing? Fast would be like the rubber band idea. Slow would be like unrolling a paper towel roll.

I'm asking all these questions because not only am I curious about the whole thing, but it just might help pinpoint the problem for Fiat/your local mechanics at the studio. The more we can think about what happened and when and how long it lasted, the better the description you can give to the mechanic.

It could be that something in some cars is just a little bit off. Just enough to snag the fabric, to stop the closing, and then to send all the fabric flying forward.

Whatever propels the closing of the sunroof shade is not going to be a mighty powerful piece of equipment, as it's only moving that fabric and the lead edge. I'd think it would be much weaker than a door window mechanism. So it wouldn't take a lot of resistance to stop it from proceeding to close.

The sunroof shade in my regular 500 is manual, and is slightly resistant to being pulled. I've guessed it was spring-loaded in some way. But I have only closed it maybe twice. It's always open here. My memory could be wrong.

drphil
10-14-2013, 01:25 PM
So it sounds like you're saying the first thing to happen was the lead edge stopped on it's own.

Even though the lead edge that would meet up near your rear view mirror had stopped, noise continued? Or there were clicking/noises, THEN the lead edge stopped, and the fabric came out of the back/rear area, and pretty much fell out of the track area, leaving you with draperies?

Or that the lead edge stopped, there were noises, and those noises then stopped, and the fabric fell?

What does the "it" refer to in "then it stopped"?

Does anything happen if you try to open or close it now? Or have you tried to do anything to the screen since the screen failure occurred?

There's something else I thought about, if the material where it's gathered and hidden away was to get snagged on something when the leading edge is moving forward, it would stall the closing procedure, until finally giving way, and perhaps like an elastic band that has been stretched, the whole amount of material zooms out.

So that the clicking noises could be from the lead edge trying to go forward and being stuck, until the material or material holder part breaks.

Would so love to see pics of the inside guts of the roof cover operating mechanism, when it's being repaired. Wish we had an expanded (blow apart?) diagram of all the assembled parts and where they go and what they do for that roof shade.

Did the material fall/gather almost instantaneously? Or was it a slow thing? Fast would be like the rubber band idea. Slow would be like unrolling a paper towel roll.

I'm asking all these questions because not only am I curious about the whole thing, but it just might help pinpoint the problem for Fiat/your local mechanics at the studio. The more we can think about what happened and when and how long it lasted, the better the description you can give to the mechanic.

It could be that something in some cars is just a little bit off. Just enough to snag the fabric, to stop the closing, and then to send all the fabric flying forward.

Whatever propels the closing of the sunroof shade is not going to be a mighty powerful piece of equipment, as it's only moving that fabric and the lead edge. I'd think it would be much weaker than a door window mechanism. So it wouldn't take a lot of resistance to stop it from proceeding to close.

The sunroof shade in my regular 500 is manual, and is slightly resistant to being pulled. I've guessed it was spring-loaded in some way. But I have only closed it maybe twice. It's always open here. My memory could be wrong.

i guess there was a loud clicking/cracking noise then the lead edge stopped on its own, everything looked all wrinkle and when i reverse the lead edge everything came down. now when i tried moving the the lead edge the fabric gets caught in the rail and everything is stuck. i already dropped my car at the dealer, so sorry no more pics. :moody:

Andree
10-14-2013, 06:39 PM
i guess there was a loud clicking/cracking noise then the lead edge stopped on its own, everything looked all wrinkle and when i reverse the lead edge everything came down. now when i tried moving the the lead edge the fabric gets caught in the rail and everything is stuck. i already dropped my car at the dealer, so sorry no more pics. :moody:

Thanks for the info! Keep us updated as you can. Hope your new car is back home soon!

Curious
10-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Wow drphil and crundle15 this is the first time I have read this thread. I really wanted to get a sunroof on my 500L but ended up getting one without. I had serious reservations about that sunshade. It really does not surprise me that this happened. It's got it's own separate motor which is just something else that can and will break in time. It will be very expensive to fix years later if you don't have an extended warranty. Same thing if the sunroof breaks, expensive fix.

They really should have made it 2 single roller shades, both manual, one for the front and another for the rear. That's what I have on the panoramic sunroof on my F J Cruiser.

The normal 500 has a manual roller shade, works great and no motors to break.

If you did not get an extended warranty then I highly recommend you get one before your standard warranty runs out.

I would have to hide my new car in a garage if I had a shade hanging down like yours does.

The dealer should give you a loaner to drive until they could fix that mess. You have my sympathies.

drphil
10-18-2013, 05:48 PM
been more then a week and they said the parts are still not here yet.. i miss my car..

Trystane
10-18-2013, 07:27 PM
... If you did not get an extended warranty then I highly recommend you get one before your standard warranty runs out...

FYI - You have a year from the date of purchase to get any FIAT extended warranties. At least that's what my studio informed me of.

Andree
10-18-2013, 08:50 PM
FYI - You have a year from the date of purchase to get any FIAT extended warranties. At least that's what my studio informed me of.

They'll send a reminder too, mentioning the extended warranties after you've had your car for awhile.

Crundle15
10-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Well I got the call that the shade came in (happy dance time) and brought it to the studio on Wednesday. They were going to give me a huge town and country minivan for the day but I refused it (theres a reason I drive a fiat, lol). I took it in at 9 am and I was told it would only take the day but at 4pm I get the call that its not fixed because theyre missing some part. After two months of waiting, I bring my car in to be told that it still cant be fixed. I'm the epitome of annoyed with this situation. I had to take the monster minivan but after driving it for a day I had to return cause I was sure I'd get in an accident in it, it was soooo uncomfortable to drive. The only car enterprise had available was the filthiest camry I've ever seen. It looks like someone rolled around in the dirt and then rolled around on all the seats. I feel disgusting every time I sit in it. I almost called the studio to demand my car back but its obvious to me that they've already started taking it apart and they dont wanna have to put it back together again without fixing it. This whole situation is just killing me. Apparently I'm supposed to get the car back on Tuesday so we'll see how that goes.

@Andree, The problem occured when I was closing it shut. Obviously I cant take any more pics at this point but after it broke the shade would still move when I hit the button. But I didn't attempt to close it completely because in addition to part of the shade completely popping out, there was a portion that appeared stuck in the track and it was ripping. I was driving at night on a country road when it happened so I couldnt really see how it happened.

Andree
10-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Well I got the call that the shade came in (happy dance time) and brought it to the studio on Wednesday. They were going to give me a huge town and country minivan for the day but I refused it (theres a reason I drive a fiat, lol). I took it in at 9 am and I was told it would only take the day but at 4pm I get the call that its not fixed because theyre missing some part. After two months of waiting, I bring my car in to be told that it still cant be fixed. I'm the epitome of annoyed with this situation. I had to take the monster minivan but after driving it for a day I had to return cause I was sure I'd get in an accident in it, it was soooo uncomfortable to drive. The only car enterprise had available was the filthiest camry I've ever seen. It looks like someone rolled around in the dirt and then rolled around on all the seats. I feel disgusting every time I sit in it. I almost called the studio to demand my car back but its obvious to me that they've already started taking it apart and they dont wanna have to put it back together again without fixing it. This whole situation is just killing me. Apparently I'm supposed to get the car back on Tuesday so we'll see how that goes.

@Andree, The problem occured when I was closing it shut. Obviously I cant take any more pics at this point but after it broke the shade would still move when I hit the button. But I didn't attempt to close it completely because in addition to part of the shade completely popping out, there was a portion that appeared stuck in the track and it was ripping. I was driving at night on a country road when it happened so I couldnt really see how it happened.

Thanks for the info! It's such an intriguing mystery.

Sorry they didn't have all the parts for you. It's going to take time for them to learn what all is involved with what and what should be ordered, unfortunately you have to wait while they learn. It would be nice if they would share info between themselves and other dealers, so that every dealer knows exactly what has to be ordered to fix this problem. Then nobody else has to wait at their own dealer while they order this other important part.

Call back Enterprise and see if they have something else available.

drphil
10-21-2013, 12:27 PM

Hey when the problem occurred were you driving with the windows down? I was think the Wind might be hitting it the shade while closing? Because I remember I was driving kind of fast with all my windows down

Crundle15
10-24-2013, 08:50 AM
Hey when the problem occurred were you driving with the windows down? I was think the Wind might be hitting it the shade while closing? Because I remember I was driving kind of fast with all my windows down

No all the windows were up.

Crundle15
10-29-2013, 06:01 AM
Well, it took a few days but my sun shade is finally fixed. Yay! I picked it up on Thursday and I've been playing with it all weekend to make sure its not gonna break on me again. But because my luck is so horrible, Saturday night my car was broken in to. :( Now I have a shattered window and another rental car. I just cant catch a break. About 20 cars were robbed and 3 stolen so I at least dont feel personally persecuted, but I'm becoming more and more convinced this car is cursed. 8282

Andree
10-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Well, it took a few days but my sun shade is finally fixed. Yay! I picked it up on Thursday and I've been playing with it all weekend to make sure its not gonna break on me again. But because my luck is so horrible, Saturday night my car was broken in to. :( Now I have a shattered window and another rental car. I just cant catch a break. About 20 cars were robbed and 3 stolen so I at least dont feel personally persecuted, but I'm becoming more and more convinced this car is cursed. 8282

Whoa! Car crime wave! We've had that a few times in our neighborhood. Cars parked on the street getting broken windows, usually on a Friday or Saturday night.

And I once had my car window shot out. I did think it was a personal thing (as the neighbors didn't get it too), until reading the news about some kids getting caught with bb guns. Apparently they'd been shooting out windows for awhile, all over the area.

I also had a truck opened up, and they took my cassettes (this was obviously a long time back).

My mom's car got broken into here many years ago, they didn't break anything, but left a mess from going through the glove compartment.

On the flip side, I found a bunch of stuff in the street, picked it all up, and called the police. If people clean out their car, they leave garbage, not credit cards and keys and jewelry. About a week after the local police picked it up, I got a call from a nearby city police officer, who asked for more info. There wasn't any new info, just stuff I found in the street. Turned out that the items had been stolen from a home break in. While I don't know what all was taken, knowing the proper owner got back the stuff I found was a good feeling. Especially the keys. Car keys, house keys, work keys, whatever keys, they can be a real pain to replace.

The car is not cursed, it's that some people are mean or desperate or stupid and do things the rest of us wouldn't do.

Glad to hear the sunroof cover is fixed and working. And here's some good news for you, the 2014 500L is one of the Top Safety Picks from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety!:

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?12450-2014-Fiat-500L-Jeep-Cherokee-Named-IIHS-Top-Safety-Picks

drphil
10-30-2013, 04:29 AM

wow! sorry to hear.. such a luck..

armywife1971
12-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Mine did the exact same thing a few weeks ago and they replaced it, said something inside just broke......hoping it won't happen again.

Estrella
05-12-2015, 11:27 PM
omg~! me too, I hated this car just after only a week of driving it but I'm stuck with it for a few more years. I am now dealing with a torn sunscreen, one by the way that has only been opened on 3 occasions. I pushed the button to open it so I could open the sun roof and the entire sun screen ripped to shreds. Now the dealer claims they have never heard of this happening yet I'm reading several example here on the forum. You should see the mess it made, the fabric is all tangled in the rack and there are pieces hanging down. It looks like someone took a knife to it,,,,,,seriously. I have saved all this info so I can show my dealer. This is terrible and now they are saying they will not replace it.

FiatCares
05-13-2015, 09:02 AM
omg~! me too, I hated this car just after only a week of driving it but I'm stuck with it for a few more years. I am now dealing with a torn sunscreen, one by the way that has only been opened on 3 occasions. I pushed the button to open it so I could open the sun roof and the entire sun screen ripped to shreds. Now the dealer claims they have never heard of this happening yet I'm reading several example here on the forum. You should see the mess it made, the fabric is all tangled in the rack and there are pieces hanging down. It looks like someone took a knife to it,,,,,,seriously. I have saved all this info so I can show my dealer. This is terrible and now they are saying they will not replace it.

Hi Estrella,
Could you please PM me your VIN#, contact information, and the name of the FIAT studio that you are currently working with so that I can look into these concerns for you?

Tweak
05-13-2015, 10:02 AM

Welcome to the forum.

As Erica (FiatCares) posted get with her and see what resolution might be had...good luck!

Estrella
05-15-2015, 10:13 AM
This is what my sunscreen currently looks like1788617887

Estrella
05-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Erica, thank you for your note, how do I get in touch with you?

FiatCares
05-15-2015, 11:26 AM
Erica, thank you for your note, how do I get in touch with you?

Check your inbox here on the forum for a private message from me.

Dancy13
05-15-2015, 12:28 PM
Same thing happened to my wife's L. She took it to the studio and they fixed it. They said it has happened to alot of people. The factory equipment isnt strong enough so they had a local shop do the work with stronger material. They even marked it as a safety issue and paid for a rental for the three days it took to get the parts and fix the issue.

slowbird
06-23-2015, 10:41 AM
Is this only on older 500L's or all model years?

Jahna
01-01-2016, 03:43 PM
I have a 2014 Trekking & the same thing happened with mine. Also, when this happened, a metal piece from inside the roller, shot out of it & pierced my passenger side rear door. It put a 1-2 inch gash in it like a knife. Ive had poor experiences with the local dealership, so I dread trying to get it fixed. For now, I have a windshield shade wedged in the roof to make the car bearable to drive in Sun & heat!

ramonhawk
01-18-2016, 11:39 AM
So i know this is an old thread but... the exact same thing happened to me on Saturday night. I barely use the shade but when i tried to use it i came off completely and all this while driving! I can't express how upset I'm about this.
Now my question is... can I just take this to the dealer right now or I have to make an appointment? I want to take care of this asap because its amazingly annoying.

Best Regards