PDA

View Full Version : Wheel stud kits

shadyabarth
09-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Hey guys/gals..I am interested in a full stud conversion for my 13 Abarth and wanted to know if anybody has any experience with a specific company..I have done a stud conversion on both of my M3's and would like the same for my Abarth as well. Any recommendations?

JackandSue
09-04-2013, 09:15 AM
APS has them at http://www.race-studs.com/servlet/the-67/M12x1.25-Performance-Studs/Detail I love mine and would use nothing else.

Ryephile
09-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Just so this is searchable in the future, the wheel bolt thread pitch is M12x1.25

shadyabarth
09-04-2013, 10:35 AM
APS has them at http://www.race-studs.com/servlet/the-67/M12x1.25-Performance-Studs/Detail I love mine and would use nothing else.

awesome..I think I am going to place an order today for the 60mm ones..I was contemplating the 80mm ones too but think it may be too crazy for the street lol..

JackandSue
09-04-2013, 10:49 AM
60 mm is plenty good and you can put hub caps on as well. I oreded 2 vextr\\\\\\\\\

60 mm is the perfect length. I ordered 2 extra bolt/nuts as well.

shadyabarth
09-04-2013, 11:10 AM
I think i am going with the 80mm ones as i will never put on hubcaps anyways but does anybody offer ones with the bullet nose as opposed to the exposed thread end ones?

lammie200
09-04-2013, 12:05 PM

Do you know if you double nut these in or is there an allen seat on the end to use an allen socket?

JackandSue
09-04-2013, 01:39 PM
No need to double nut I torque mine at 75 ft. pounds and have no problems.

lammie200
09-04-2013, 02:06 PM
No need to double nut I torque mine at 75 ft. pounds and have no problems.

Double nut meaning to install the studs into the hub threads, not double nut as in two lug nuts. From the pic it looks like they will take an allen socket to turn them into the hub threads, thus no need to use double nuts to tighten them into the hub threads. I have never seen studs that will take an allen socket like that but I don't know everything.

Robust
09-04-2013, 03:22 PM
I went with the 52mm kit from this site:
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/storefrontprofiles/deluxeSFshop.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=193697
This set does not have the allen head for installation, and I used two nuts and torqued to 35#, a number I found when doing stud install research. In hindsight, I would go with the 65mm kit if I could do it again, just wanted the studs to protrude a bit more. The 52mm studs extend maybe a 1/4" beyond the wheel nut. When installing the studs, I also used some Loctite hi-temp red.
This is a good looking set.

shadyabarth
09-04-2013, 03:34 PM
I have installed Stud Kits on both of my M3's and both sets have the allen head insert but i always chose to use the double nut method just because i fell using an allen wrench does not give you the proper grip when torqueing down the studs. Also i chose to use Loctite Blue as opposed to Red becuase the Red formula is meant for permanent applications

jguerdat
09-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Fwiw, I bought a set of 45mm studs at the Fiat Freakout from Midwest-Bayless. I removed a bolt and took it in for them to examine to determine the proper length. I need to install them so I can't give a review yet. They recommended using Loctite blue.

Giuseppe
09-10-2013, 03:23 PM
I offer custom sets of titanium studs and nuts.

jguerdat
09-10-2013, 03:35 PM
An update - got off my ass and installed the 45mm studs from Midwest-Bayless this past Sunday. They're the perfect length so as to have to the stud even with the outside surface of the nut. Longer won't give you any additional clamping.

That said, a few things that weren't perfect:

- The hex key hole to tighten them down was apparently plated excessively or otherwise a tad small. I tried various tools to get the perfect fit but ended up having to use a rubber mallet to ensure the 7/32" tool was fully inserted to prevent rounding the hole.

- Two studs gave me problems. One was improperly machined and wouldn't go into the hub or even allow a nut to go more than one turn onto either end. The other never "bottomed out" in the hub to allow me to torque it. It just kept going and going... until the exposed thread was too short to even attempt to get a nut on it. MW-B is mailing me free replacements without question - good customer service.

- Because of the exact length that doesn't extend past the but, the nuts are slightly hard to start. You just have to use your fingers to get deep enough into the wheel hole to start it. I wouldn't change the length because of this unless I was contemplating spacers.

Tweak
09-10-2013, 10:56 PM

I only just realized you might need to become a vendor as you have a product for sale of potential interest. You'll need to speak with Chris for more information as I am not aware of the specifics. The link in your signature may need to be removed until which time you decide on the vendor-ship. I appreciate your willingness to help your fellow member, hopefully things workout well for both you and the members!

deathshead
09-11-2013, 09:22 AM

Giuseppe sells some AMAZING hardware boys.. you gotta check out his stuff.

I would LOVE to run studs. But all the Sparco and OZ wheels are all 4x100 bolt.
I really wish we could get a 4x100 hub swap kit.

SilverBane
09-18-2013, 09:14 PM
What is the benefit to this mod?

lammie200
09-18-2013, 11:54 PM
What is the benefit to this mod?

In some ways they make mounting wheels easier.

They also prevent someone from stripping out the hub threads because once they are installed they remain mounted to the hub.

They can be lighter than lug bolts with all deco'd out titanium lug nuts.

Giuseppe
09-25-2013, 07:06 PM
I only just realized you might need to become a vendor as you have a product for sale of potential interest. You'll need to speak with Chris for more information as I am not aware of the specifics. The link in your signature may need to be removed until which time you decide on the vendor-ship. I appreciate your willingness to help your fellow member, hopefully things workout well for both you and the members!

I messaged Chris months ago. No reply. I don't do enough volume to warrant paying for advertising anyway. Nothing against him, but it's not worth the investment. I already pay premium membership, that's enough for me.

Tweak
09-26-2013, 01:04 AM
I messaged Chris months ago. No reply. I don't do enough volume to warrant paying for advertising anyway. Nothing against him, but it's not worth the investment. I already pay premium membership, that's enough for me.

It's cool, he is extremely busy and it is for him to determine anyway, just trying to do my part to make sure people are aware of things. Thanks.