PDA

View Full Version : Fall FIAT on the Dragon event October 11-13

Abarth67
09-03-2013, 11:31 AM
I hope that everyone is making plans to join us for our Fall event in October. The weekend will start Friday evening, October 11 at the Hilton Atlanta Northeast on 5993 Peachtree Industrial Blvd, Norcross, GA. We have a special rate $75 for our group. That is less than what we paid in Alcoa at a Hilton no less. Just mention the Italian Car Day and they will apply the rate to your room.

Friday:
We will meet at 7pm for dinner and social time in the Hilton Hotel lobby. Once we have a good idea of the number of people present, we can make better arrangements for our group meal.

Saturday:
The morning will continue as we meet in the parking lot of the Hilton and proceed over to the Italian Car Day in Norcross, GA (just a short drive from hotel).

Registration for the show will be on-site and is $25 at the gate. This show is organized by our good friend John Montgomery (joined us on our spring run) and the proceeds go to the local Atlanta group.

Our group will need to be ready to leave the show field early (prior to 3pm) and head into the Georgia mountains for some amazing roads and scenery. The route I am thinking of taking is http://goo.gl/maps/UKZKC but this may change as things develop. My biggest challenge right now is lodging for Saturday night. Fontana Village was booked full so that is not an option for our group this year. I am working on lodging options in Franklin area and Robinsville. As soon as the information is available, I will be sure to spread it around.

Sunday morning we will continue the adventure on the Dragon and then maybe another nearby road as time permits. My initial thought was to spend a little more time on the Dragon this year so we have time to socialize and drive the road more. We can discuss options though. The leaves will be very colorful this time of year so bring the cameras.

I hope that we have a good turnout for the fall event. I hope to have a registration form up soon with a link to the hotel and important information. Planning is already underway for a really special Spring FIAT on the Dragon so stay tuned for more information on that event as well. Mark your calendars for for the first weekend in April of 2014.

Also, be sure to keep an eye out on the Facebook page for the latest breaking updates.
Thanks
Brett Melancon

Information about the Italian Car Day:
The Atlanta’s Italian Car Day celebrates its 17th year of Italian automotive style; exhibiting private collections of the finest exotic Italian cars at Lillian Webb Park, 5 College Street in historic downtown Norcross, GA. The event includes the car show, marque awards, a raffle and silent auction. New dealer cars and merchandise will be on display to add excitement & opportunity for supporting vendors.

Saturday, October 12th, 10 AM to 3 PM, (Show cars should arrive before 10 AM)
Downtown Historic Norcross, GA at Lillian Webb Park, northeast Atlanta.
Show vehicle registration $25 at gate, spectator admission free, lunch on own
Post show reception at Landmark Fiat of Atlanta from 3 PM to 5 PM

Marque Trophy Awards:
Class trophies (1st, 2nd, 3rd):
Alfa Romeo / Ferrari / Fiat / Lamborghini / Lancia / Maserati / Pantera (DeTomaso) Open Class (Unlisted marques) Italian Cycle Additional Awards (single trophy):
Best Modified
“Car I’d most like to drive home.” (People’s Choice)
BEST OF SHOW!

Photography:
Each car will be photographed upon arrival at gate. Photo CD available. Please enter the park area from the intersection of Buford Highway at Britt Street and come up to the top of the hill toward College Street (in front of church) to get your photo first before parking!

Raffle Prize Donations:
Italian Car Day sells raffle tickets during the event for $1 each. Vendors will display their donation, product or service to all participants and spectators. All donated items should be marked by the donating vendor and displayed on tables near the event tent. Please make donations of at least $30 in value, gift certificates at least $50 in value. Vendor receives public address promotion & recognition immediately before the awards.

Silent Auction:
Vendor may display an item or certificate for the silent auction, setting a minimum bid price for the item. The minimum bid amount will be returned to the vendor after the show has concluded. Silent auction forms are provided by ICD. For example, a $100 value gift or product may have an opening bid set by the vendor at $75. Amounts bid over the $75 minimum support Italian Car Day, the $75 minimum bid amount is returned to the vendor. Vendors get excellent exposure for their product or service with a guaranteed return of value. All items not making minimum bid will be returned to vendor.

Vendor Display Area:
Vendors may secure table space to display of their product or service if needed. All donating sponsors may display their literature or catalog on a table dedicated for that purpose. Vendor space will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. All sponsors receive their name, phone number and/or web address on the car registration placards. All sponsors receive public announcement recognition for their support during the show.

Abarth67
09-04-2013, 10:10 AM
I am trying really hard to find good affordable lodging in the area near the Dragon but close enough that we can drive in after the show on Saturday and still have time for dinner. This has become more of a challenge than I initially thought. I have a few options but wanted to get some feedback. Since I do not have a total on the number of rooms we will need for Saturday night, I am looking at 10-20 rooms. Here are a few affordable options. thoughts?

http://www.ridgetopmotel.com/image/20972246.jpg
RIDGE TOP MOTEL
2 Stars- Not the nicest but is affordable and close to the Dragon. This option also has a campground for those who want to camp.
390 Arlington Ave.
Bryson City, NC Map

$65.00 USD per night + 11.75% taxes

http://images.travelnow.com/hotels/1000000/460000/455300/455276/455276_21_b.jpg
KNIGHTSINN
2 Stars- The ratings (http://www.hotels.com/ho175701/knights-inn-dillard-dillard-united-states/#reviews) on this hotel were very gooed even though it is a 2 star. It is farther from the Dragon though. We could drive into Highlands for dinner if we wanted. It is cheap too.
3 Bestinn Way
Dillard, GA Map
(10.93 miles from Highlands center)

$59.99 USD per night + 12% taxes
If we choose the Knights Inn, we would have a nice drive Sunday morning to the Dragon but we would need to check out early.

Thoughts on these two options for Saturday? I have never stayed at either of these locations.
Thanks

jcunny33
09-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Getting ready for the Fall Fiat on the Dragon by practicing with these guys!

Tweak
09-07-2013, 10:52 PM

Go home 500T, you're drunk. :p

haha

Kurumi
09-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Hahahaha.

I guess I'll have to make the 8+ hour drive down there then. It might not be so bad if I can get the crew up here to come down as well.

Felnus
09-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Come on down! The 500 loves road trips. :-)

Abarth67
09-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Here is a little teaser from our spring run...
http://brettspic.smugmug.com/Cars/FIAT/FIAT-on-the-Dragon-2013/i-R6WSBDB

trevc
09-09-2013, 10:29 AM
With the mods you now have and your driving skills I bet you beat those guys easy through the bends!

WegoFaster@Ambient Thermal Management
09-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Hrmm I'd like to use this as an excuse to make a trip to the Dragon.:naughty:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/agennello/thumb_1367624367DAVE8950_zps85ab1bdc.jpg

Thad
09-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Here is the official Fall FIAT on the Dragon sign up form. The weekend event starts Oct. 11. It will be bigger than last year!
If you plan to join the fall event, please help out by signing up.

It is free to sign up and helps plan better.
https://secure.jotform.us/form/32453659384160

Tweak
09-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Here is the official Fall FIAT on the Dragon sign up form. The weekend event starts Oct. 11. It will be bigger than last year!
If you plan to join the fall event, please help out by signing up.

It is free to sign up and helps plan better.
https://secure.jotform.us/form/32453659384160

So you will be there for the fall Thad?

Felnus
09-21-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm sure we'll have some 500s and plenty of Abarths, anybody bringing a 500L or a vintage FIAT to this party?

Abarth67
09-22-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm sure we'll have some 500s and plenty of Abarths, anybody bringing a 500L or a vintage FIAT to this party?

I seriously considered bringing my X1/9 but then reconsidered. I figure that if I am leading the group, I need GPS and other navigational aids (ability to hear over the engine). I do hope we have some older cars join us. It always makes it fun when the group is more diverse. My sons may meet us at Fontana Village with the X1/9 Saturday evening.

I am really looking forward to this drive. It is the perfect way to end the driving season and the colors should be at or near peak during this time. I am hoping to get some interest in doing a sunrise drive on Sunday morning.

A reminder, if anyone is traveling from north to the Atlanta area on Friday, we should meet. I plan to head south around lunch on the 11 and would love the company. Contact me if you want to head down together.
Brett

musicsurf
09-22-2013, 12:52 PM
I seriously considered bringing my X1/9 but then reconsidered. I figure that if I am leading the group, I need GPS and other navigational aids (ability to hear over the engine). I do hope we have some older cars join us. It always makes it fun when the group is more diverse. My sons may meet us at Fontana Village with the X1/9 Saturday evening.

I am really looking forward to this drive. It is the perfect way to end the driving season and the colors should be at or near peak during this time. I am hoping to get some interest in doing a sunrise drive on Sunday morning.

A reminder, if anyone is traveling from north to the Atlanta area on Friday, we should meet. I plan to head south around lunch on the 11 and would love the company. Contact me if you want to head down together.
Brett

I am up for as much driving as possible so I'm in for a sunrise drive.

Felnus
09-22-2013, 05:04 PM
I'll be heading down on the 11th as well but I won't be coming through Knoxville.

Abarth67
09-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Lodging update: If you have not gotten a room for Saturday night at Fontana Village Resort, I suggest you do so today. I have gotten the deadline extended but the rooms are filling up fast. I think they only had five rooms left when I spoke to them. Be sure to tell them you are with the FIAT on the Dragon group. Once we have a head count on who is going to be staying, we can plan our meal for Saturday evening and figure out what everyone wants to do.

If we have a shortage of rooms, it might be great if anyone who is open to sharing a room made the announcement.

Make reservations here...
http://www.fontanavillage.com
or
call at 800.849.2258

trevc
09-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Good news is I will be starting a new job shortly. Bad news is it means I cannot get the Friday off work.
So, I will be driving direct to Fontana Village on Saturday. I just booked a room for Saturday and Sunday nights so I can drive the Dragon etc. on Sunday and then head home Monday.

I am looking forward to seeing everybody again!

I have a king bed with fireplace but am open to sharing the room if somebody wants to bring an air mattress!

Trevor

Felnus
09-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Breaking out the wrenches to finally get the Abarth suspension I bought this spring on the 500 tomorrow. Doing it with hand tools ought to be interesting. I'd give real money (if I had any) for a lift and some air tools. gr_grin

Abarth67
09-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Great, you will be glad you did. Good luck.

zyxelenator
10-01-2013, 10:17 AM
I will come over guys. Just filled out form and ordered couple T-shirts and decal. On honeymoon vocation right now in Florida, so will bring my wifey with me. Basically Italian car day will be on our way back to home(KY). Will call Hilton soon and get the room, and try to be there before 7pm a planned, but we may go all the way down to Key West, so may come later than 7pm.
Fontana Resort is all filled up we may stay somewhere nearby or just continue our drive towards KY.

Abarth67
10-01-2013, 11:05 AM
If Fontana is full, maybe you can get a room in Robinsville. It is nearby but would not be as convenient. They have cabins, did you ask about that?

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
10-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Fontana has one two bedroom cottage available for Sat. Anyone want to share that with me?

Abarth67
10-01-2013, 01:50 PM
I could possibly share it with you and give my room to someone else. I live close enough that I could even go home if I wanted to.

Tweak
10-01-2013, 10:01 PM
I could possibly share it with you and give my room to someone else. I live close enough that I could even go home if I wanted to.

So lucky to live so close... I'd be hitting the Dragon and Triangle so often!!! (Till I spent all my $ on gas that is...then it'd start over the next month)! :D

Felnus
10-01-2013, 10:16 PM
It's a three and a half hour drive one way for me and I have to talk myself out of heading down there every time I have a day off.

Abarth67
10-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Since it is so close, I find myself not going as much as I should. I always think I will find time and never do.

Tweak
10-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Since it is so close, I find myself not going as much as I should. I always think I will find time and never do.

I have nothing but time, it's money that's my only issue...gas (LOT of that, weekly trips), tires, mods for better handling. :D

Felnus
10-03-2013, 09:36 PM
For those that haven't been to the Dragon before, this is an interesting little preview...click the "3D" button on the left side of the screen next to where it says "Driving directions to State Hwy 115/US-129 N".

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=US-129+S&daddr=35.524403,-83.993252&hl=en&geocode=Fd0pHQId6Hv_-g%3B&sll=35.484576,-83.956833&sspn=0.125382,0.264187&vpsrc=0&t=h&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=13&ie=UTF8&z=13

WMWFiat
10-04-2013, 01:02 AM
Plan to meet you guys on Fri night at the hotel as I don't live far from there. Then over to the show on Sat, if anyone needs anything let me know and I'll bring it. Don't know if we'll make it to Fontana on Sat or not. Need to figure out what everyone's work schedule is for Sun.

Abarth67
10-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Here s a link to the proposed route from Harper FIAT in Knoxville on Friday to the Hilton hotel in GA.

http://goo.gl/maps/nIDfz

I am going to make the best of the backroads and enjoy the ride. I just heard from Harper FIAT and they are going to provide pizza for our group as we prepare to leave Knoxville on Friday so save room for lunch on Friday courtesy of Harper FIAT.

Nero12
10-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Thats nice of Harper to provide some grub before the run. They are a top notch dealer (and not just from the pizza bribes). When do we pick up the name cards and decals?

MarkG
10-07-2013, 05:16 AM
Can't make the whole weekend! Will try to meet up on the Dragon Sunday AM

Abarth67
10-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Thats nice of Harper to provide some grub before the run. They are a top notch dealer (and not just from the pizza bribes). When do we pick up the name cards and decals?

Channa Smith with Harper FIAT, has offered to host club events and has been extremely supportive of any activity we are planning. They are an asset to FIAT, great people too.
I do need to get a head count for who is joining us for Friday.

Tweak
10-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Can't make the whole weekend! Will try to meet up on the Dragon Sunday AM

Great if only there for Sunday!

Channa Smith with Harper FIAT, has offered to host club events and has been extremely supportive of any activity we are planning. They are an asset to FIAT, great people too.

Cool of them to have gotten involved back in the spring. I think their dealership was still under construction back then.

I will likely call you on Wednesday just to finalize a couple details (questions) I had, I'll hit you on the cell after 7pm. :cool:

DesmosDromos
10-07-2013, 01:20 PM

What time are you meeting at Harper? I may join you.

Abarth67
10-07-2013, 01:38 PM
What time are you meeting at Harper? I may join you.

We will arrive around 10:30 -11am and look around. Then Harper FIAT has offered to buy us all lunch and will provide pizza for our group. We can leave sometime after that around noon-noon thirty.
I hope you can join us.

DesmosDromos
10-07-2013, 02:36 PM
We will arrive around 10:30 -11am and look around. Then Harper FIAT has offered to buy us all lunch and will provide pizza for our group. We can leave sometime after that around noon-noon thirty.
I hope you can join us.

OK, add me and my dad to the count. I think we can be there by 11 or 11:30. Would love to follow a local on back roads down to GA!

Thanks!

Abarth67
10-10-2013, 11:35 AM
A friend will not be able to make the event and has offered the room if anyone wants it. Please contact me soon as we will be releasing the room if nobody wants it. The resort was sold out so this might be a good deal for someone.

DesmosDromos
10-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Don't wait for me at Harper. My wife got sick and I may not make it now. If I do make it, it will be at the show.

BillE
10-11-2013, 10:29 AM
We'll be at the Saturday Italian show in Norcross but won't be able to make the Dragon drive. Our Abarth is Bianco with black trim and sunroof. We'll keep a lookout for y'all (not sure if I spelled that right...we're still new in the south!)

Bill & Judi

Fiat500USA
10-11-2013, 12:36 PM
We'll be at the Saturday Italian show in Norcross but won't be able to make the Dragon drive. Our Abarth is Bianco with black trim and sunroof. We'll keep a lookout for y'all (not sure if I spelled that right...we're still new in the south!)

Bill & Judi

Hi Bill, Great seeing you and meeting your wife at FFO this year! The Italian show looks like an awesome event. Have Fun!

BillE
10-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Hi Bill, Great seeing you and meeting your wife at FFO this year! The Italian show looks like an awesome event. Have Fun!

Thanks, Chris. It was great seeing you again too.

zyxelenator
10-13-2013, 07:51 PM
finally home,tired.That was fun, exept chinese guys in Sentra holding up.everyone for 20 mins on the actual dragon. Will post a link to pics later on, Olha took lots of them supposely.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
10-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Wow, that was a blast. 318 curves in 11 miles and a whole lot of fun. Great folks, I can't wait to go back next time. I am so glad I put the Bilsteins on the Abarth it made the drive much more fun and in control.

musicsurf
10-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Brett, I just want to say it one more time. I am very grateful that you take time out to organize this and do an amazing job! Thank you so much. It was an awesome time and I got to meet some awesome people. I am already impatiently awaiting the spring event. I may actually have to make another trip up sooner! Thanks again.

Abarth67
10-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Brett, I just want to say it one more time. I am very grateful that you take time out to organize this and do an amazing job! Thank you so much. It was an awesome time and I got to meet some awesome people. I am already impatiently awaiting the spring event. I may actually have to make another trip up sooner! Thanks again.

Mike, the offer still stands if you want to stay at my place and try the Devil's Triangle. Worth the trip, better than the Dragon in some ways.

wilbmeister
10-14-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm glad you guys had a good time at the Dragon. When I was there last week it was fun. I also tried a road in NC called the Devil's Drop. That was a challenge. Here are a couple pictures from my drive.

I hope in the future I can join up and do it as the same time as the rest of you.

Abarth67
10-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Here is a video from one of my runs on the Dragon...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5cUfzB97Rw&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share

Had some fun with it.

wilbmeister
10-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Here is a video from one of my runs on the Dragon...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5cUfzB97Rw&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share

Had some fun with it.
That is great. I see now why my wife didn't enjoy it as much as I did. It looks different when you watch and not driving it. I need to go back and do it again.

Nero12
10-14-2013, 10:31 PM
I watched your video Brett....now I want an Abarth. Though my pop surprised me and held up pretty decent for what I put it through this weekend just trying to stay close to you guys. Definitely looking forward to another road trip like that one.

musicsurf
10-15-2013, 12:23 AM
Mike, the offer still stands if you want to stay at my place and try the Devil's Triangle. Worth the trip, better than the Dragon in some ways.

Don't tempt me! I'll drive the 10 hours straight back up there.

Abarth67
10-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Don't tempt me! I'll drive the 10 hours straight back up there.

Consider yourself tempted.

zyxelenator
10-15-2013, 03:54 PM
here are pics from meet up. https://www.facebook.com/dmytriy/media_set?set=a.10202139599671516.1234067970&type=3

Felnus
10-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Here are some shots from Sunday.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7447/10300734364_f8e3a5c74e_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96215320@N05/10300734364/)
DThompson115 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96215320@N05/10300734364/) by felnus2 (http://www.flickr.com/people/96215320@N05/), on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2861/10300622624_8bf7055abf_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96215320@N05/10300622624/)
DThompson131 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96215320@N05/10300622624/) by felnus2 (http://www.flickr.com/people/96215320@N05/), on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5550/10300607524_11b8bd2ee2_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96215320@N05/10300607524/)
DThompson132 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96215320@N05/10300607524/) by felnus2 (http://www.flickr.com/people/96215320@N05/), on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5505/10300801773_81e7fa6c88_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96215320@N05/10300801773/)
DThompson134 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96215320@N05/10300801773/) by felnus2 (http://www.flickr.com/people/96215320@N05/), on Flickr

Robert Nixon
10-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks for all the photos! We just didn't have time to get up for the weekend, but will try to make it next time.

Abarth67
10-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Here are some photos from my camera...

http://brettspic.smugmug.com/Cars/FIAT/Fall-Fiat-on-the-Dragon-2013/i-SwC4Scx/0/L/IMG_3217-L.jpg
http://brettspic.smugmug.com/Cars/FIAT/Fall-Fiat-on-the-Dragon-2013/i-Mzw9XpJ/0/L/DSC_0048-L.jpg
http://brettspic.smugmug.com/Cars/FIAT/Fall-Fiat-on-the-Dragon-2013/i-ZjsGdBk/0/L/DSC_0079-L.jpg
http://brettspic.smugmug.com/Cars/FIAT/Fall-Fiat-on-the-Dragon-2013/i-s5jjP3X/0/L/IMG_3242-L.jpg
http://brettspic.smugmug.com/Cars/FIAT/Fall-Fiat-on-the-Dragon-2013/i-gjWPbZS/0/L/IMG_3251-L.jpg
http://brettspic.smugmug.com/Cars/FIAT/Fall-Fiat-on-the-Dragon-2013/i-FrH2GjG/0/L/DSC_0111-L.jpg
http://brettspic.smugmug.com/Cars/FIAT/Fall-Fiat-on-the-Dragon-2013/i-Cc9Dwrv/0/L/IMG_3280-L.jpg
http://brettspic.smugmug.com/Cars/FIAT/Fall-Fiat-on-the-Dragon-2013/i-v985LPW/0/L/IMG_3277-L.jpg
http://brettspic.smugmug.com/Cars/FIAT/Fall-Fiat-on-the-Dragon-2013/i-zWcsRHs/0/L/IMG_3267-L.jpg
http://brettspic.smugmug.com/Cars/FIAT/Fall-Fiat-on-the-Dragon-2013/i-hczpG2X/0/L/DSC_0084-L.jpg
http://brettspic.smugmug.com/Cars/FIAT/Fall-Fiat-on-the-Dragon-2013/i-c65Bnvt/0/L/IMG_3292-L.jpg
http://brettspic.smugmug.com/Cars/FIAT/Fall-Fiat-on-the-Dragon-2013/i-BmDvFjG/0/L/IMG_3289-L.jpg
http://brettspic.smugmug.com/Cars/FIAT/Fall-Fiat-on-the-Dragon-2013/i-JpHJhGn/0/L/IMG_3299-L.jpg
http://brettspic.smugmug.com/Cars/FIAT/Fall-Fiat-on-the-Dragon-2013/i-tRcqkpC/0/L/DSC_0129-L.jpg
http://brettspic.smugmug.com/Cars/FIAT/Fall-Fiat-on-the-Dragon-2013/i-rfVSdQH/0/L/IMG_3298-L.jpg

Had a great time!

modular
10-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Dammit, I just missed this!!! Next year!!!

Abarth67
10-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Mark the calendars for the first weekend in April, 2014 (April 3-6). Driving will be on Friday and Saturday. Arrive on Thursday evening and leave on Sunday for best experience.

http://blueridgetravelguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Photo-of-Tally-Ho-Inn-Townsend-TN.jpg

We have a lot of new things in store for the spring event. I have reserved the Tally Ho (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g55383-d1187629-Reviews-Talley_Ho_Inn-Townsend_Tennessee.html) in Townsend, TN for the event and they are extremely car friendly. i have help this time with the logistics and plan to have everything bumped to the next level. Expect planned drives, BBQ cook put and bon fire, local ice cream stop, Smokey Mountain drive, night drive and of course, the Dragon AND Devil's Triangle. I will also have a few new roads to share for those willing.

Watch the forum and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/FiatOnTheDragon) for details as they evolve. Like our Facebook page and stay in the loop.

Also, I hope to have more participation with vendors for this event which means more stuff to give away. I have been talking with a few and they are onboard and ready to help out.

musicsurf
10-16-2013, 03:36 PM
So that's this weekend, right? Just kidding, sort of.

Nero12
10-16-2013, 07:21 PM
A few pics I took

Tweak
10-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Mark the calendars for the first weekend in April, 2014 (April 3-6). Driving will be on Friday and Saturday. Arrive on Thursday evening and leave on Sunday for best experience.

http://blueridgetravelguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Photo-of-Tally-Ho-Inn-Townsend-TN.jpg

We have a lot of new things in store for the spring event. I have reserved the Tally Ho (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g55383-d1187629-Reviews-Talley_Ho_Inn-Townsend_Tennessee.html) in Townsend, TN for the event and they are extremely car friendly. i have help this time with the logistics and plan to have everything bumped to the next level. Expect planned drives, BBQ cook put and bon fire, local ice cream stop, Smokey Mountain drive, night drive and of course, the Dragon AND Devil's Triangle. I will also have a few new roads to share for those willing.

Watch the forum and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/FiatOnTheDragon) for details as they evolve. Like our Facebook page and stay in the loop.

Also, I hope to have more participation with vendors for this event which means more stuff to give away. I have been talking with a few and they are onboard and ready to help out.

This sounds great! Looking forward to it already.

So that's this weekend, right? Just kidding, sort of.

Too funny, basically the same thing I said in spring... let's do it again in a week! :D

Also... link to killboy and US129 pics...

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?e=9085072&g=04RK023V08

http://xtremesportsphotography.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?e=9091600&g=0QAK01K409

musicsurf
10-16-2013, 08:04 PM
This sounds great! Looking forward to it already.

Too funny, basically the same thing I said in spring... let's do it again in a week! :D

Also... link to killboy and US129 pics...

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?e=9085072&g=04RK023V08

http://xtremesportsphotography.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?e=9091600&g=0QAK01K409

I am actually planning on going back up before the snow starts. I just want my rims and to get tires on them, and my FMIC before I head up.

Tweak
10-16-2013, 08:46 PM
I am actually planning on going back up before the snow starts. I just want my rims and to get tires on them, and my FMIC before I head up.

I am likely heading back to VA in a few weeks, when are you thinking of heading up and how long do you plan to stay?

Felnus
10-16-2013, 11:36 PM
A few more...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3822/10300909333_4defdca6dd_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96215320@N05/10300909333/)
DThompson124 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96215320@N05/10300909333/) by felnus2 (http://www.flickr.com/people/96215320@N05/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7355/10300955295_e88e362ed4_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96215320@N05/10300955295/)
DThompson017 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96215320@N05/10300955295/) by felnus2 (http://www.flickr.com/people/96215320@N05/), on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5510/10301107786_d06b8f8b67_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96215320@N05/10301107786/)
DThompson004 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96215320@N05/10301107786/) by felnus2 (http://www.flickr.com/people/96215320@N05/), on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2825/10301116563_50847ebf25_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96215320@N05/10301116563/)
DThompson014 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96215320@N05/10301116563/) by felnus2 (http://www.flickr.com/people/96215320@N05/), on Flickr

musicsurf
10-16-2013, 11:48 PM
I am likely heading back to VA in a few weeks, when are you thinking of heading up and how long do you plan to stay?

I am not sure yet on either question, but I will let you know.

Tweak
10-17-2013, 12:53 AM
I am not sure yet on either question, but I will let you know.

Sounds good, I can PM my cell # if that's easier, many of the people from the Dragon I have in my cell already as we chat occasionally offline as well.

Abarth67
10-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Well you know I am in. I'll be on the watch for some new roads too.

Tweak
10-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Well you know I am in. I'll be on the watch for some new roads too.

New roads sounds good...I hear there are so many people mention but I never recall the names. :D

musicsurf
10-17-2013, 04:35 PM
You should check out 151. The section just after the parkway is INSANE! From a map it looks like the Dragon but way more technical.

musicsurf
10-17-2013, 04:40 PM
I take it back, maybe not as technical but definitely faster.

Felnus
10-17-2013, 04:47 PM
I'd like to try this one.

http://www.moonshiner28.com/moonshiner28_roadinfo.html

musicsurf
10-17-2013, 09:22 PM

That one looks like a lot of fun too.

Tweak
10-17-2013, 09:44 PM

That one looks like a lot of fun too.

If we stay long enough we can do all the roads! :D

musicsurf
10-17-2013, 10:55 PM
I would really like to do like a camping and driving kind of trip starting at Devil's Triangle are and working towards Asheville. With all the parks in close proximity there are lots of places for primitive camping that would be free. Take like 4 days and nights and hit everything.

Abarth67
10-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Camping is always an option. Of course these days, this old guy like an air mattress.

musicsurf
10-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Lol, just adding more weight to you light car. Do you need an eight man tent to fit said air mattress.

On a side note, I edited all the video I took from the trip. It's a little long, but I thought I'd share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HY2S8Onm5o&feature=youtu.be

Tweak
10-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Camping...hmmm, I don't think my body would agree with it although my brain says it sure sounds like fun...my brain is wrong though. :D

Did you catch me in any of your video Mike?

trevc
10-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Video from Monday morning at the start of my journey home.
Run from Deals Gap to the Lookout on the Tail of the Dragon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBD86XW5Yg4

musicsurf
10-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Camping...hmmm, I don't think my body would agree with it although my brain says it sure sounds like fun...my brain is wrong though. :D

Did you catch me in any of your video Mike?

No, unfortunately I didn't take any video of the run to Lake Fontana from Georgia. If I had, there would be plenty!

Tweak
10-19-2013, 12:16 PM
No, unfortunately I didn't take any video of the run to Lake Fontana from Georgia. If I had, there would be plenty!

No worries, some of it would have sucked (under boost if you recall) but passing the Abarth and Sport going up the mountain might have been fun to see. :D

musicsurf
10-19-2013, 12:21 PM
I know it was fun to do!

Tweak
10-19-2013, 12:25 PM
I know it was fun to do!

Indeed, I really liked passing Wade...hehe, boost was working and long straight shot, wish he had filmed that cause I felt like I took off pretty quick (hit 92MPH). Took awhile to get around the Sport with the road usage in effect but eventually it was realized we wanted to get around. :D

Felnus
10-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Abarth bullies!! :slap:

:chuncky:

Tweak
10-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Abarth bullies!! :slap:

:chuncky:

Um, it was all Mike, he was pushing me, yeah, that's what was going on, all Mike!

All 101HP all the time... hilarious by the way David!

While my pics aren't as good as yours... I tossed them on Google in case you or anyone else cares to see them.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByBfEvk_xDXUYzM3Nk5kNUFHSk0&usp=sharing

musicsurf
10-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Thought it belonged in this thread as well.

Felnus
10-19-2013, 10:00 PM
Um, it was all Mike, he was pushing me, yeah, that's what was going on, all Mike!

All 101HP all the time... hilarious by the way David!

Oh yeah, blame the flatlander. And that's just how I roll, especially when I'm chasing you guys.

Tweak
10-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Oh yeah, blame the flatlander. And that's just how I roll, especially when I'm chasing you guys.

I bet if you ask him he will tell you he wanted to pass them too, heck, he probably wanted to pass me!!! I was down to 6lbs coming UP the mountains back to TN from GA so it sucked and I was NOT moving at the speeds I would have liked I assure you.

musicsurf
10-19-2013, 11:23 PM
Just wait man, when I come back up next month I'll have new brake pads and stainless lines... late braking = a much faster me :)

Tweak
10-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Just wait man, when I come back up next month I'll have new brake pads and stainless lines... late braking = a much faster me :)

Yep, definitely all the fault of Mike. :D

Nero12
10-20-2013, 11:57 AM
I really need to get a camera mount and take some vids next time around. I had fun. Even with 101hp. You figure out your boost problem James?

Tweak
10-20-2013, 08:32 PM
I really need to get a camera mount and take some vids next time around. I had fun. Even with 101hp. You figure out your boost problem James?

Got a few ideas on what it might be but I haven't had any problems since it returned the last time, doubtful it will be a problem again, hard to reproduce unless under heavy load which I think the mountain helped provide. Too flat here, might be a simple oil change, could be pressure or sensor related as well so likely I will possibly head for Virginia for awhile in early Nov. then leave my car with my dealer for side skirts, front bumper paint, and axle boot repair and take the free rental for awhile while they paint and try to track down something. Checking it with OBDII reader and no codes pending or stored so nothing to even check into there unless Mike can view history and see what code we pulled when up that way.

I think you need to give the Pop to your wife and buy a T or even an Abarth. :D

Fiat500USA
10-21-2013, 12:11 AM
If anyone knows the person who won the giftcard, remind them to contact me so I can send it out to them. Thanks!

zyxelenator
10-21-2013, 02:21 AM
If anyone knows the person who won the giftcard, remind them to contact me so I can send it out to them. Thanks!

It was Sal, guy from New York with black Abarth, he is little behind regarding internet and such, he just joined FB several days before meet up. I can send him a link to this thread of FB.

Abarth67
10-21-2013, 08:24 AM

The winner's name is Sal Salaris out of Staten Island NY. He drove down for our drive on the Dragon and plans to return in the spring. He won the gift card for having driven the farthest for the event.

Thanks for the support of our event Chris. I think that the Spring event will be even better.

Sal has been notified about the details of the card. Thanks

RagingBullWinkle
10-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Do you remember how far he drove? I'm going to need to go north through Wisconsin across UP then south MI, IN KY TN to repeat I'm thinking.
Or I could just buy a new hoodie. LOL

See ya in the spring. xyxwave

trevc
10-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Thank you Chris for supporting the event and donating the gift card!!

Racerflash
10-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Brett, thanks again for organizing a great event. Linda and I enjoyed meeting and talking with you and Larry. Everyone we met in the Fiat group were just good, fun people! We probably won't be able to make the Spring event but would be ready for another in the fall for sure. I also have some good video, but haven't had the time to edit and post.

Thanks,
Bob "Flash" Gordon

Tweak
10-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Brett, thanks again for organizing a great event. Linda and I enjoyed meeting and talking with you and Larry. Everyone we met in the Fiat group were just good, fun people! We probably won't be able to make the Spring event but would be ready for another in the fall for sure. I also have some good video, but haven't had the time to edit and post.

Thanks,
Bob "Flash" Gordon

I just put the real and username together. :D Even if you can't make spring look forward to seeing you guys again in the fall!

Fiat500USA
10-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Thanks everyone! It's my pleasure to have been able to contribute something to the event. Love seeing the pictures - wish I was there!

Abarth67
10-22-2013, 09:21 AM

Thanks,
Bob "Flash" Gordon

Bob, it was my pleasure to host the event. It is great to meet such great people who love driving their cars and hanging out. I enjoyed having dinner with you and your wife as well. I am sorry that you cannot make the spring event, it is going to be great. I am not totally sure I am going to continue doing two events a year. It is so much work and it is hard for people to get that much time to do two events.

Should I focus on one event and make it really good? I will probably still do a fall drive, just lower key.

musicsurf
10-22-2013, 11:30 AM
It's so easy for us to communicate through Facebook and the forums I would think it would be fairly easy for us to just get together as a group in the fall. I can only imagine the work that goes into the planning and logistics of what you do, so I vote for one event and then just a kind of get together.

lenny357
01-19-2014, 08:54 AM
9313 This was a great time!

RedRunner
01-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Awesome time, can't wait to go back.

Abarth67
01-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Details on the spring run will be coming soon. The planning is underway and I am excited to share what we have in store. If you have any suggestions for something to add or maybe something to not do, I am open. Thanks

musicsurf
01-19-2014, 12:40 PM
After making the trip up twice in October, I'm really starting to have withdrawal. Especially with nothing but flat and straight here.

shadowshaggy
01-19-2014, 02:36 PM
Details on the spring run will be coming soon. The planning is underway and I am excited to share what we have in store. If you have any suggestions for something to add or maybe something to not do, I am open. Thanks

Make sure there's access to a lift so I can steal Tweaks wheels? I got nothing else xxrotflmao

Abarth67
01-19-2014, 06:01 PM
I have a lift...the rest is up to you.

Make sure there's access to a lift so I can steal Tweaks wheels? I got nothing else xxrotflmao

Tweak
01-19-2014, 10:21 PM

So this guy isn't invited to visit Brett at home and especially not his basement area!!!

I have a lift...the rest is up to you.

Don't encourage him! :p

I thought it was really cool you had that lift down there by the way, really sweet home and that basement is such a great man cave area with the cinema room in such close proximity.

Thanks again for the fall deal buddy!

DiscoBiscuit
05-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Sorry to necro-thread, but I want to understand, Even tho the sign up sheet is for the spring event, it's good the fall event? I'm not going to need a room, I live very very close to the Dragon. I really want to attend. Please let me know what I need to do.

Thanks,
DB

Tweak
05-07-2014, 11:26 PM
Sorry to necro-thread, but I want to understand, Even tho the sign up sheet is for the spring event, it's good the fall event? I'm not going to need a room, I live very very close to the Dragon. I really want to attend. Please let me know what I need to do.

Thanks,
DB

Even if Brett does use the same forum I would say it won't be a good idea to jump on things this soon. Also due to the less structured plans for the fall I am fairly sure things will change on the form, once time comes closer I am sure you will see plenty of discussion on this due to the popularity of it.

Abarth67
05-08-2014, 08:56 AM
The fall drive is going to be less structured. I am calling it FIAT on the Dragon "Unplugged"

Basically, we will be joining at a predetermined spot and having fun. Little to no real organization is going to happen for this one. I want to keep focus on the spring event and use the Fall event to try new routes and have fun. If you are willing to wing it and go with the flow, the fall run will be fun.

I may have a sign up but it will be very casual.

Brett

Thanks,
DB

DiscoBiscuit
05-08-2014, 09:32 AM
The fall drive is going to be less structured. I am calling it FIAT on the Dragon "Unplugged"

Basically, we will be joining at a predetermined spot and having fun. Little to no real organization is going to happen for this one. I want to keep focus on the spring event and use the Fall event to try new routes and have fun. If you are willing to wing it and go with the flow, the fall run will be fun.

Brett

So basicly the plan is to meet in Norcross at the Italian Car Day @ 9am and go from there?

I'm good with that and ready to ride! Be nice to hang out with other like minded enthusiast.

Racerflash
05-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Hey Brett, thanks for all you do! A casual, play it by ear Fall Event sounds perfect. Linda and I will be there!

Bob

Abarth67
05-08-2014, 11:21 AM
So basicly the plan is to meet in Norcross at the Italian Car Day @ 9am and go from there?

I'm good with that and ready to ride! Be nice to hang out with other like minded enthusiast.

That will most likely be the case. I want to do a drive up to Highlands, NC for Saturday evening if it works out. Great roads and great destination. I want to go here too...

http://www.minisonthedragon.com/images/Bridal%20Veil.png

Racerflash
05-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Now that's a cool picture spot!!

Tweak
05-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Now that's a cool picture spot!!

Agreed, not so much for the verts if it is windy but it looks like a great pic I def would like to have my car in!

mactography
05-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Is that Bridal Veil Falls that I kept going on about while we were there? Haha. I just remember seeing the picture from Wookies in the Woods that had them all under the falls and thought it'd be a great place for the Abarths.

And shoot, I'll open my sunroof all the way up! ;) Kidding, kidding.. I flip out when a drop of water gets on the inside.

zvez
05-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Brett any chance you can post a sticky of dates for the fall ride? I don't need structure, but if I could get an idea of the dates I can plan for it.

Cherohala skyway and tellico plains is a very nice area as one idea.
Thanks!
Chris

Brett

Tweak
05-25-2014, 08:59 PM
Brett any chance you can post a sticky of dates for the fall ride? I don't need structure, but if I could get an idea of the dates I can plan for it.

Cherohala skyway and tellico plains is a very nice area as one idea.
Thanks!
Chris

Most likely it will fall around the same time as last year, first half of October is likely due to the time of year. Brett will have more info once fall gets closer.

MichaelT
07-15-2014, 07:42 PM
I plan on making it this year!

Tweak
07-15-2014, 08:19 PM
I plan on making it this year!

Bring friends, the more the merrier! :)

Felnus
07-15-2014, 09:26 PM
https://www.facebook.com/events/657049861017545/

zvez
07-16-2014, 07:19 AM
could one of the mods change the date in the title? The fb page says Oct 17th.

musicsurf
07-16-2014, 08:24 AM
I didn't think I would be able to make it, but with it being spaced far enough from Solo2 Nationals I might be able to swing it. I've got my fingers crossed!

Fiat500USA
07-16-2014, 08:30 AM
could one of the mods change the date in the title? The fb page says Oct 17th.

This is last year's thread. Maybe someone can start a new thread?

zvez
07-16-2014, 03:44 PM
ahhhhhh, that 'splains it!

Tweak
07-17-2014, 12:20 AM
This is last year's thread. Maybe someone can start a new thread?

Someone has. ;)

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?16863-October-2014-FIAT-on-the-Dragon-Fall-quot-Unplugged-quot-drive-OFFICIAL-FALL-THREAD

zvez
07-17-2014, 05:41 AM
mods, perhaps we could lock this thread to prevent confusion between the 2013 thread and the 2014 thread?

Abarth67
07-17-2014, 08:30 AM
Yes, please lock this one down. Thanks