PDA

View Full Version : 500L Wish List

Andree
09-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Maybe you've browsed the 500L online, read reviews like I have. Perhaps you've gone for test drives. Or you have a 500L proudly parked out front.

Some will be thoroughly pleased with the 500L exactly as it is. No matter which trim level they have, it's the perfect car for all their needs.

While NO car has absolutely everything, sometimes there's a little something you wish the car had. And you have very valid reasons. Or it's a long-standing personal preference. Or it's available in other countries on their cars, but for some reason it isn't on the US versions.

So what things might you add to a 500L, and why?

I'll start with: Vinyl. Yes. Vinyl. On the seats, on the floor, on the headliner. It may not look all that luxurious, but it sure is practical. Many options to clean the interior, from "dusting" the seats and sweeping the floors, to a good soap and water wash.

Vacuuming takes just a few moments, and nothing ever gets ground into the vinyl, like mud does in carpet. Kids throw up, dogs track mud, dogs throw up, kids track mud. All not a problem with vinyl. All those sporting things, it's okay to get in the car with a wet swimsuit or dirt and grass covered baseball uniform.

Because auto makers switched to carpet and fabric all over, there have to be companies to provide rubber or plastic mats or inserts to protect the carpet. If the carpet wasn't there in the first place...duh.

Also, fabric holds odors. Not sure if it was just the cab driver, or if someone had spilled an entire bottle of man-scent cologne in the taxi, but it was POWERFUL. Cologne, perfume, smoking of any kind, food (pizza delivery cars smell like pizza all the time).

It's so much easier for me with my back to slide a bit to get in and out of cars on smooth seats. Fabric just won't let me do that.

I realize this would only appeal to some people, so I wouldn't want Fiat to stop with the current versions, they're great. But for the people who really do strap a kayak on their Trekking, it would rock. Mountain biking, surfing, all could prefer the vinyl.

n00dle
09-02-2013, 11:44 PM
no vinyl for me. it looks cheap IMO. I like the way the 500L's as they are, as far as what we're getting for the cost of purchase. I feel I've gotten my money's worth with the Trekking.

Jalpa_Mike
09-02-2013, 11:44 PM
One thing I think would be really cool, is the ability to choose everything in the interior (such as Maserati allows). The ability to choose your interior leather color, stitching color, carpet color, etc.. Would really allow people to "personalize" their own car.

Of course my wish list would contain a lot of what others have said, but my main (2) would be:

All Wheel Drive
Leather interior

Luv2byte
09-03-2013, 01:52 AM
Mine would be:
AWD
Remote start
Remote hatch open/close
Electronic passenger seat
Full leather or full durable cloth interior, no neoprene at all. Thankfully in the trekking neoprene is at a minimum. Looks cheap.

Remote start would be my first pick of my list with all others close behind.

turtlelin
09-03-2013, 05:19 PM
I would prefer individual locks on each door as opposed to the central locking system implemented now.

Curious
09-03-2013, 06:48 PM
I gotta agree with Andre. I would love to have vinyl seats, AND a vinyl drivers arm rest. My Easy is a whiteish fabric. Dirt shows up so easily on my drivers arm rest and on the fabric below that arm rest. I got no clue how I should clean that.

Suggest you all raise your center arm rest all the way and then try to lower it back down all the way. As you will see it stops with about just one inch to go the whole way down, no clue why it stops there. To lower it I have the palm of my hand on that white fabric and with my fingers I must then pull on then release tab on the front, bottom of this arm rest. I bet that in time dirt from your palms will make that fabric very dirty. This is why I will get that arm rest reupholstered in vinyl or leather.

My other car is a Toyota F J Cruiser with a rubber floor. It's so easy to sweep out dirt. Spill a coke on the floor, no problem. Add water and mop up with paper towels or a sponge. And when I get my boat out of the water my shoes fill up with water and it just sloshes into the rubber floor and it bothers me not one bit. Just love an easy to clean car.

I also do agree with Turtelin. I went into a drug store and left my 26 year old daughter in the car with the a/c running. When I got back she had the doors unlocked, could not figure out where the unlock button is. She looked everywhere except on the dash.

Andree
09-03-2013, 07:58 PM
I gotta agree with Andre. I would love to have vinyl seats, AND a vinyl drivers arm rest. My Easy is a whiteish fabric. Dirt shows up so easily on my drivers arm rest and on the fabric below that arm rest. I got no clue how I should clean that.

Suggest you all raise your center arm rest all the way and then try to lower it back down all the way. As you will see it stops with about just one inch to go the whole way down, no clue why it stops there. To lower it I have the palm of my hand on that white fabric and with my fingers I must then pull on then release tab on the front, bottom of this arm rest. I bet that in time dirt from your palms will make that fabric very dirty. This is why I will get that arm rest reupholstered in vinyl or leather.

My other car is a Toyota F J Cruiser with a rubber floor. It's so easy to sweep out dirt. Spill a coke on the floor, no problem. Add water and mop up with paper towels or a sponge. And when I get my boat out of the water my shoes fill up with water and it just sloshes into the rubber floor and it bothers me not one bit. Just love an easy to clean car.

I also do agree with Turtelin. I went into a drug store and left my 26 year old daughter in the car with the a/c running. When I got back she had the doors unlocked, could not figure out where the unlock button is. She looked everywhere except on the dash.

Boating is a big vote in favor of waterproof interiors. Any water sporting things, including swimming.

The 500L is versatile enough that it could have the whole vinyl interior, as well as the fully customizable leather luxury interior. Obviously the leather would be order-only. And perhaps the all-vinyl would need to be order-only too. They're both specialty interiors, and the person who wants one of those isn't going to want the other as they have different purposes.

Same things I've thought about for the regular 500. I don't NEED genuine leather. I do need a smooth surface to slide on. And just because I'd want all vinyl, including the headliner, doesn't mean I don't want the seat heater.

I think the vinyl interiors got a bad rap back when the "strippy" models were all vinyl. Cars and trucks without options, no aircon, no radio, etc. The upgrade was cloth/fabric. And only certain luxury vehicles got leather. What's funny is that many of the common vehicle leather interiors are mostly vinyl leather look, with just seating surfaces in leather. And they've changed the name from vinyl to leatherette to ecoleather or vegan leather. It's all still vinyl.

There are a vast number of consumers. The 500L starts at a price point that is friendly to many. But the INTERIOR isn't all that friendly to everyone. Adding the vinyl extends the usefulness and customer base.

jabird101
09-03-2013, 08:11 PM
I believe that the L is missing the greatest feature ever on any ute' I have owned. A clam shell tailgate.
My wife's old Honda Element had one and it is so nice to be able to have long things stick out the lower part of the tailgate with the upper closed and not flapping in the wind. Also, it gives you a place to sit while changing shoes for a hike or a bike. It could also be opened in a closed garage because it only needed half the distance behind the car to open.
The downside, I suppose it adds weight, another lock and more assembly time. Even Land Rover is going away from this on the latest refreshes of the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport, and from the spy shots of the LR series for 2015 as well.

I agree with the rubber floor. The Element had that as well. Make it an option on the trekking at least, since the outdoor woodsy market is the target. The exception to this is in the Lounge. I didn't pay to have leather seats with a rubber floor.

I also find the distance from the seat to the arm rest on the door to be quite far. I say this, and I am a freak. I am 6 foot tall but with arms that are (according to medical science I have a positive ape index http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape_index) about 2 inches too long. I imagine it is even worse for normal people.

Curious
09-04-2013, 06:15 PM
I also find the distance from the seat to the arm rest on the door to be quite far. I say this, and I am a freak. I am 6 foot tall but with arms that are (according to medical science I have a positive ape index http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape_index) about 2 inches too long. I imagine it is even worse for normal people.

I totally agree. I traded my 500C in for my 500L. In the 500L there was barely enough room for a small drivers arm rest and the door was an inch away from my left arm. Close quarters.

On the 500L I now have a nice sized arm rest (with nice storage) that I must share with my passengers, no room for a passenger arm rest. I like to drive with both arms on arm rests and my hands on the lower section of the steering wheel. Can not possibly do that with my 500L since the door arm rest is so far away.

It would have been great if Fiat had put the seats closer to the doors. If they had done that then they would have enough room between the seats for a passenger center arm rest and we would all be able to comfortably use that arm rest.

However there is a flip side to this coin. I bet the extra space makes it a little safer for accidents. Such is life.

JoeB
09-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Boating is a big vote in favor of waterproof interiors. Any water sporting things, including swimming.

The 500L is versatile enough that it could have the whole vinyl interior, as well as the fully customizable leather luxury interior. Obviously the leather would be order-only. And perhaps the all-vinyl would need to be order-only too. They're both specialty interiors, and the person who wants one of those isn't going to want the other as they have different purposes.

Same things I've thought about for the regular 500. I don't NEED genuine leather. I do need a smooth surface to slide on. And just because I'd want all vinyl, including the headliner, doesn't mean I don't want the seat heater.

I think the vinyl interiors got a bad rap back when the "strippy" models were all vinyl. Cars and trucks without options, no aircon, no radio, etc. The upgrade was cloth/fabric. And only certain luxury vehicles got leather. What's funny is that many of the common vehicle leather interiors are mostly vinyl leather look, with just seating surfaces in leather. And they've changed the name from vinyl to leatherette to ecoleather or vegan leather. It's all still vinyl.

There are a vast number of consumers. The 500L starts at a price point that is friendly to many. But the INTERIOR isn't all that friendly to everyone. Adding the vinyl extends the usefulness and customer base.

Slightly off topic, but related to interior discussions: How did we get to the place of leather being the "cool" choice for seats. It's not used in competition; and my experience with it in street use is that it's hot, cold, sticky, high maintenance, and not particularly cushy to sit on. I've had cloth in most of my cars, and am quite happy with it in my Abarth Cabrio. I have no interest in battling the sun with leather in a convertible. Thoughts?

jabird101
09-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Slightly off topic, but related to interior discussions: How did we get to the place of leather being the "cool" choice for seats. It's not used in competition; and my experience with it in street use is that it's hot, cold, sticky, high maintenance, and not particularly cushy to sit on. I've had cloth in most of my cars, and am quite happy with it in my Abarth Cabrio. I have no interest in battling the sun with leather in a convertible. Thoughts?

My main like for leather is that it cleans up easy. In my experience, it you maintain it using a good leather conditioner like Guardsman Leather Mousse or similar twice a year, messes wipe right up. Not so with fabric. Also there is the dog hair factor for those of us with furry families. Leather doesn't trap the hair like fabric and again muddy paw prints even when dry, wipe right off with a wet towel.

As far as it being hot or cold, It is both, and usually the wrong way when you first get in, but after a few minutes, even in Michigan winters where I used to live, it heats right up and in the summer cools right down.

Andree
09-04-2013, 08:01 PM

Cost.

Presumption of status.

Anything requiring care and maintenance is also a sign of a luxury item. LOL. Things that easily show dirt, and are kept spotless are also a sign that the owner "has people" that do the cleaning/maintaining, or that they simply do not get dirty. Dirty being primarily associated with physical labor jobs, such as farming, ranching, construction. It's a class division.

It made me laugh when a neighbor checking out my car said "Oh, and you HAD to get the leather" as if it mattered. It's not for status for me, LOL, it's so I can slide on the seat a bit to get in and out, and leather/vinyl won't hold dust, lint, cat hair, odors. I put them in the same category, leather and vinyl, for my purposes. The leather in the Fiat is certainly not the same as the leather in the Rolls I saw the other day.

"If it costs more it must be better" is a falsehood, of course. There's only so much improvement that can be done that will justify an additional expense. But this is coming from someone who is practical and logical and thrifty. I need "improvements" that result in substantial increase in usefulness for my intents and purposes.

My old VW and the MG had a lot of vinyl, the interior of the convertible top was vinyl. Time consuming to clean, but it was something I COULD clean. In the Honda Fit, everything was cloth. And it held all manner of dust, pollen, lint, hair, and every scent that was ever in that car. I didn't chain smoke in the car, but you'd think I did. Whether or not someone smokes still won't make the interior spotless or scentless considering everyday pollution.

Just being downwind from restaurants can give the air a smoky, greasy quality.

When I needed just one little section of the driver's seat (edit: in the VW) replaced with vinyl, due to cracking, the auto upholstery place had something that was a pretty close match. It was not expensive to have done either. Now, considering both cloth and leather, it is MUCH harder to get a "close match". And you'll never be able to walk into an upholstery shop to replace part of a Gucci seat. The additional expenses that could be incurred as a result of having a specialty interior were too much for me.

I actually checked out parts prices before buying my current car. I used the 500 Madness site. I had been looking at the white Gucci model, and it has brushed chrome accents. All kinds of things that are different than the regular Lounge. Like center caps.
Gucci, $268.99: http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=center+caps&category_id=0&product_id=1333
Regular, $79.99: http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=center+caps&category_id=0&product_id=646

These are SIMPLE PARTS. They don't make the car go faster or get better mpg. I think five bucks a piece is a good price. Maybe. The astronomical price of center caps for the Gucci model are ridiculous, in my opinion. This is a car that is for people that have a lot more disposable income than I have. Hence, status. If you judge status on income.

I don't personally buy into the more money equals more status. It's not what you've got, or how much you've got, it's what you do with what you have. And it's more than just what a person does for work, but also what they do in the leisure time.

JoeB
09-04-2013, 08:17 PM
^ Those are good answers!

Fazzster
09-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Here is what I would like to see:
1. Better quality carpeting similar to a VW Golf/GTI.
2. Better quality mats. The Velcro screams cheapness as do the design of the snaps.
3. The smooth hard plastic on the floor by the doors seems out of place for this application.
4. The rough texture on the Trekking's dash makes it hard to clean. I rather it be smooth so it does not snag the microfiber towels used to clean the rest of the dash.

fiat30327
09-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Love the exterior of the Trekking but the interior is a bit busy with too many colors for my taste. I'll take an Easy manual with Beats please

jerwgar
09-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Push Start and proximity key like 80% of the new cars out there especially nice ones.
Transmission that was more responsive to acceleration, without a delay and high rev and than takes off like a shotgun, more linear acceleration response.
Faster processor in the infotainment systems, more options for control, Gps that is more like a phone navigation, picks up from where you are, don't have to enter current city, more intuitive with searches, and more points of interest. Sorry for the run on sentence.
Yeah what's up with the carpet that doesn't let go of dirt, dog hair etc., like a magnet!

Andree
09-06-2013, 07:06 PM
Love the exterior of the Trekking but the interior is a bit busy with too many colors for my taste. I'll take an Easy manual with Beats please

Er, all of the vehicles have at least two colors on the interior for the seats. Trekking has black and brown.

fiat30327
09-07-2013, 02:28 PM
The Trekkings I have see at my local Studio here in Atlanta also have splashes of red on the seats and doors plus the Trekking trim on the dash...too busy IMHO

Luv2byte
09-08-2013, 12:13 AM
If uconnect can download phone numbers then why can't we access the contacts for navigation instead of having to enter the address manually? It should be able to use our downloaded contacts for nav, not just phone.

Andree
09-08-2013, 06:45 PM
The Trekkings I have see at my local Studio here in Atlanta also have splashes of red on the seats and doors plus the Trekking trim on the dash...too busy IMHO

You can see the exterior color of the vehicle on the inside of the vehicle, around the doors, the window area. Red on the seats only comes on the Pop and the Easy.

Red/cementite (light gray) interior of the Easy on the left (all three interiors are on the Easy):

Trekking interior in brown/black in the center here (Easy, Trekking, Lounge interiors shown):

I believe from your description what you were looking at was the Pop interior, the only one that has a red dash, if the car is red:

fiat30327
09-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Hi Andree - please take a look at the Trekkings at Landmark Fiat in Atlanta...they all have red inserts on the seats doors and steering wheel

Luv2byte
09-09-2013, 01:44 AM
Hi Andree - please take a look at the Trekkings at Landmark Fiat in Atlanta...they all have red inserts on the seats doors and steering wheel

It's not red inserts, it's actuall a brown leather that has a touch of red-orange color to it. It's in all trekkings. Looks fantastic w the black, yellow & green trekkings.

n00dle
09-09-2013, 01:59 AM
here's a better representation of the colors used in the Trekking interior than the ones on Landmark Fiats website.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7837&d=1378706294

cmj912
09-09-2013, 09:35 AM
I would also vote for a completely non-cloth interior option. There are various materials such as leather and leatherette, etc., but I am thinking that the seat designs are so stylish who wants to cover them with seat covers because you have dogs, spouses with coffee cups, and children? One of the super awesome things about my Sport is that I can just wipe off dog drool from the seats...done. Don't get me wrong, I like cloth just as much as everyone else, but I'm thinking along the lines of the post above that talked about the hose-able interior (of the FJ?). The Honda Element, though I never liked the styling or the reported driving characteristics, was always on my list of cars to consider because of the dogproof ballistic nylon impregnable seats and the sealed rubber gymnasium flooring...

Andree
09-09-2013, 07:38 PM
I would also vote for a completely non-cloth interior option. There are various materials such as leather and leatherette, etc., but I am thinking that the seat designs are so stylish who wants to cover them with seat covers because you have dogs, spouses with coffee cups, and children? One of the super awesome things about my Sport is that I can just wipe off dog drool from the seats...done. Don't get me wrong, I like cloth just as much as everyone else, but I'm thinking along the lines of the post above that talked about the hose-able interior (of the FJ?). The Honda Element, though I never liked the styling or the reported driving characteristics, was always on my list of cars to consider because of the dogproof ballistic nylon impregnable seats and the sealed rubber gymnasium flooring...

And a tip to Fiat if they do decide to provide the "utility" interior (aka "dogproof ballistic nylon impregnable seats and the sealed rubber gymnasium flooring"), check out the vinyls that are on the market already. For pattern, texture, etc. Choose one that's already out there. There's no need to create a specialty fabric or vinyl.

There are tons of interior vinyls and fabrics, and I do get a kick out of the creative patterns used by various automakers. But there is NOTHING like those fabrics in the aftermarket. We found that out when I went looking for the "dots" (squircle) fabric on the UK interiors. No, Fiat doesn't have a source for the fabrics, no, they can't tell me who makes it and they don't have replacements (according to the time I checked with the Fiat UK website people). There will NEVER be the "words" fabric available at the local upholstery place. Or the floating 500 L fabric.

In fact, check with the endless aftermarket selections before choosing the interior. Popular things are the footwell liners, carpet mats, dash covers, etc. Weathertech in black, light gray, tan. Black works with black. The tan might work with the Easy or Lounge tan interior tones: http://www.weathertech.com The light gray would work with some of the interiors too, the ones with Cementite accents.

These guys too, Lloyd: http://www.carid.com/2014-fiat-500-floor-mats/lloyd-floor-mats-161257.html Some of the grays might work, as might the ivory and/or tan with the beige/tan interiors. But none of their browns go with Trekking brown. I looked online at theirs for something to go with my ivory/brown regular 500 leather interior, there's nothing. White is WHITE, and their ivory seems too dark for the Fiat ivory. But I think it would be smashing with a Mocha Latte car (if the colors were close or complementary).

It makes sense to offer up the most compatible paints/interiors with aftermarket products simply because the consumer is happier with an abundant selection of items. And Fiat doesn't have to make that variety, as they are already being made by someone else.

Check out the Burgundy Lloyd mat shown in the back of the very ilght gray interior. That would be a rich, deep color that I think would look nice on the 500L exterior, with a glossy interior dash, probably straight black interior, with those mats. With the options for the black or white roof, you could also do the mats in white to match up to the roof. And if Fiat offered up the black/white interior, with the burgundy exterior, then the white really pops inside. Black and white interior on a yellow Trekking, throw down the bright yellow mats.

Andree
09-09-2013, 07:53 PM

Looks brown to me, but it all depends on the monitor settings and the dealer pics, etc. I know I will never see anything exactly like you see something online. We may have different contrast, brightness, white point, so that even if we look at the same image, it will look different. Also add in the eye factor. Varying degrees of color blindness and/or aging. I'm in my 50's and have lost a lot of my sense of smell. I could very well have lost some of my color vision too.

"Aging - the ability to see colors can gradually lessen with age."
http://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/eye-and-vision-problems/glossary-of-eye-and-vision-conditions/color-deficiency

So even if we sat down to view the same image together, I still don't know if we're seeing the same color. The color as it exists without being viewed. Neither one of us might see the color as it is.

tomtex
09-16-2013, 06:28 PM
I believe that the L is missing the greatest feature ever on any ute' I have owned. A clam shell tailgate.
My wife's old Honda Element had one and it is so nice to be able to have long things stick out the lower part of the tailgate with the upper closed and not flapping in the wind. Also, it gives you a place to sit while changing shoes for a hike or a bike. It could also be opened in a closed garage because it only needed half the distance behind the car to open.
The downside, I suppose it adds weight, another lock and more assembly time. Even Land Rover is going away from this on the latest refreshes of the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport, and from the spy shots of the LR series for 2015 as well.

I agree with the rubber floor. The Element had that as well. Make it an option on the trekking at least, since the outdoor woodsy market is the target. The exception to this is in the Lounge. I didn't pay to have leather seats with a rubber floor.

I agree with you, it's not to late for the 500x and its sister the B-jeep?

Andree
10-31-2013, 03:39 PM
There was the idea in the old original 4Runner, that had a power back window with the tailgate that folds down. I liked that idea, and often used the rear window option to air out the vehicle. I don't think we had a/c in it, so ventilation was critical. Did have fold-flat rear seats. Also had a small separate heater/vent fan for the back seat, located on the back of the console. When dealing with a voluminous space, having the rear seat heat fan was very useful. Still surprised more modern vehicles lack this simple feature.

Curious
10-31-2013, 08:03 PM
Same thing goes for rear seat a/c controls. Up front we have separate driver and passenger temp controls but none for rear passengers. A few weeks ago I took a trip to Clemson,SC for a funeral. One of my brothers had the back seat for the drive. It was next to impossible for me and my cousin up front and my brother in back to all be ok with the temperature settings. Am certain Fiat did not add rear temperature controls in an effort to keep costs down. My best guess.

Andree
10-31-2013, 11:04 PM
Even having a recirculating fan w/heat for the back would help. Just having the fan part on will recirculate the air in the cabin, and provide a breeze for the back seat people. The air intake near the floor will pass on the coolest air. Turning on the heat part will heat the coolest air.

I went looking for photos earlier of the older 4Runner that I am familiar with, but didn't find pictures of what I wanted.

Usually the children will be in the back seat and I think it's awful to make the kids suffer. It shouldn't be an igloo or an oven for the back seat people. And turning up a/c or heat in the front will make it harder on the driver, which is not a good idea.

I wouldn't think it would be too expensive for a basic three speed fan with hi/lo/off heat. Completely separate from the front, with intake vents at floor level of the rear of the console area.

chily3
11-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Needs power drivers seat with memory, we have two drivers with very much different seats settings

Tweak
11-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Needs power drivers seat with memory, we have two drivers with very much different seats settings

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you need 2 FIATs! :D

luckymoi
12-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Dove Lavazza?
Am sitting here in a 500L in Fremont while bambino gets serviced.
The seats are nice and you don't get pushed forward in he shoulders as was a concern.
That's been discussed in other threads, I know.
But really this post is about the Lavazza Cappuccino maker.
I see it in the 500L I downloaded a while back.
The sales and parts side have never heard of it.
With so much turnover its no wonder!
Oh, the 500L PDF I have is in Italian.
For me a great option...

evbruno
02-12-2014, 03:35 AM
If uconnect can download phone numbers then why can't we access the contacts for navigation instead of having to enter the address manually? It should be able to use our downloaded contacts for nav, not just phone.

I would 2nd that or at least be able import/export via the SD Card.

I would also like USB ports for the rear passengers for charging devices and the USB ports should be selectable as input sources for Media. That way the people in rear could very easily share their music on longer trips.

evbruno
02-20-2014, 11:27 PM
Interior floor lights would useful.

evbruno
03-02-2014, 04:41 AM
I would 2nd that or at least be able import/export via the SD Card.

I would also like USB ports for the rear passengers for charging devices and the USB ports should be selectable as input sources for Media. That way the people in rear could very easily share their music on longer trips.

Some additional things that came to mind.

Mounting point for a Unipod so I could extend a camera out of the sunroof or have camera pointing out through the windshield.
1) Mounting point for a Unipod in the rear cargo area.
2) Connect a camera to UConnect. Be able to see what is one the camera and to be able to voice control the taking pictures or stop/starting video recording.
3) If 2 and 3 existed a USB port to connect the camera in the rear cargo area.

sbulla
04-20-2014, 06:07 AM
My wish would be larger front seats with more cushion. That's the only complaint with my L. The leather seats are not comfortable for any length of time. May trade mine for the new 500X when it comes out if the seats are better.

sbulla
04-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Also since this is a wish list, how about a hybrid version that gets 50 mpg. Or the Diesel engine choice would be nice.

Fiat500USA
04-22-2014, 04:35 PM
This is a good thread with a lot of interesting ideas. Feel free to post your ideas and comments.

njiteb
05-06-2014, 05:17 PM
window deflectors, maybe?

i was also looking around for a coin tray...

Tweak
05-06-2014, 05:37 PM
window deflectors, maybe?

i was also looking around for a coin tray...

Welcome to the forum.

Curious
05-06-2014, 06:20 PM
Better fabric seat material that does not absorb dirt so easily. My seats are black and white and the white is impossible to keep clean, same thing for the white material on the doors. That material is also impossible to keep clean.

Cassidy
05-22-2014, 11:45 PM
Better quality paint. I already have 12 rock chips in my paint from driving on the highway. I've never had rock chips in my paint on my VW's or other cars. :(

Tweak
05-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Better quality paint. I already have 12 rock chips in my paint from driving on the highway. I've never had rock chips in my paint on my VW's or other cars. :(

Welcome to the forum.

I have many paint chips on my 2013 but on a 1999 barely any (if any) so definitely a shape related situation with these cars. :(

Terry
05-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Would like to see powered lift gate for the vertically challenged...

Curious
05-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Would like to see powered lift gate for the vertically challenged...

Ok let us all just keep in mind that the more doo dads offered the more expensive the car gets. So hey let's just go the opposite way with this concept. Decades ago manual roll down wiindows were optional and you could get a very inexpensive car with just the "options" you wanted. Why build cars with soooooo many options many folks don't care to pay for? Why can't we get a striped down car if we wanted it? All the many standard items just drive up the cost.

I believe Andree would love to get vinyl seats. And why have to get an Easy just to get a front arm rest? Why not offer a manual transmission in a Lounge? Why can't we get a spare without having to get heated front seats? Oh heck why isn't a spare standard anyway?

Ok folks offer up your preferences and comments. How would you prefer cars be built for you?

MoranJ2000
06-09-2014, 10:17 PM
I've had my Green Trekking for two weeks, and I love it overall (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it), but there are several things I don't love.

Thus, my Wish List, in no particular order:

1. Push button start -- many (most?) cars in the 500L's price class now have it, at least as an option. (Though I will admit the switchblade key is neat.)

2. Homelink Universal Garage Door Opener -- I drove my car home thinking I had it, based on information in the brochure saying it was part of the Popular Equipment Group (which I have). Turns out that's not true, and HomeLink is in fact it is not available as an option on ANY 500L trim level. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told this by the studio people, and I didn't see HomeLink in a single 500L I looked at on the lot--and I looked at over a dozen.

3. Power driver's seat -- My window sticker says "4-way power lumbar adjust", which implies an actual power driver's seat, not just a lumbar. What's 4-way about a lumbar that either inflates or deflates? So did anyone at FIAT actually fact-check the printed materials?

4. Rear seats with the same Marrone accents as the front ones (in the Trekking)-- not having the front and rear match looks like someone just forgot to do the backs, or was really desperate to save a few bucks by skipping them.

5. More low-end torque-- The lack of power below 2500 RPM makes it very hard to shift the manual transmission smoothly and get decent, linear acceleration from a stop unless you drive like you stole the car (i.e keep the revs high and shift quick). That's more effort than I want to put in most of the time.

6. A wider-sunroof opening-- considering how much glass is up there, the sunroof doesn't open as wide as you'd expect it to. A few more inches would be nice.

7. Rear air vents in the doors rather than under the front seats. Vents on the floor are worthless for AC as cold air stays low where it doesn't benefit passengers. Different story with heat, of course, but in the summer (particularly here in FL), the car gets very hot, especially in back.

8. A spare tire that's IN the trunk rather than under it-- what is this, 1958? Then again, I know lots of 500L didn't even come with spares.

9. A powertrain warranty that lasts until 5/60K rather than 4/50K. Nice that the bumper-to-bumper coverage is also 4/50K, but it also makes me nervous to know that engine & transmission coverage will end before the car is even paid off.

I think that's about it.

Curious
06-10-2014, 08:26 PM
I've had my Green Trekking for two weeks, and I love it overall (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it), but there are several things I don't love.

Thus, my Wish List, in no particular order:

8. A spare tire that's IN the trunk rather than under it-- what is this, 1958? Then again, I know lots of 500L didn't even come with spares.

I agree with you 100% and must second the motion. FYI I saw a preproduction prototype 500L and it had the spare in the trunk area. Who wants to get all dirty crawling under a car to get a dirty spare tire out from under the car? And who wants to crawl back under the tire to stow the flat tire? Oh shucks I forgot to mention that a flat tire will not fit under the car, surprise surprise. Yes you will have to put the flat somewhere inside the car, hope you do not have a car load of passengers and luggage. In that case the flat tire will have to be left on the side of the road.

Jeep gets ready to come out with the Renegade which will be made off of the 500L platform and it will have a full size spare in the trunk area. Now why can't (or won't) Fiat do this with the 500L? Go figure.

MoranJ2000
06-11-2014, 03:30 PM
I agree with you 100% and must second the motion. FYI I saw a preproduction prototype 500L and it had the spare in the trunk area. Who wants to get all dirty crawling under a car to get a dirty spare tire out from under the car? And who wants to crawl back under the tire to stow the flat tire? Oh shucks I forgot to mention that a flat tire will not fit under the car, surprise surprise. Yes you will have to put the flat somewhere inside the car, hope you do not have a car load of passengers and luggage. In that case the flat tire will have to be left on the side of the road.

Jeep gets ready to come out with the Renegade which will be made off of the 500L platform and it will have a full size spare in the trunk area. Now why can't (or won't) Fiat do this with the 500L? Go figure.

I know. The spare takes up the same amount of space whether access is from the trunk or the underside of the car, so I don't understand the logic of going the latter route. I hadn't even thought about the possibility of having to transport the flat full-size tire along with a full load of people and cargo. Come to think of it, judging by the size of the wheel and tire I doubt you could fit it in the trunk horizontally without lowering the 60% rear seat! Vertically would probably work, but I'd be concerned with it whacking against the rear glass.

I did notice, however, that FIAT includes something along with the jack that looks like it's for wrapping the tire in so it doesn't skank up the car. Didn't unroll it, so not sure if it's a bag or a simply a tarp, but yay?

Curious
06-11-2014, 07:18 PM
That is a bag to put the flat tire in so it doesn't get the interior of your car dirty. And by the way my gal pal got a flat with a load of people and luggage. She has a Honda Fot and the spare stows inside the car. The flat however did not fit where the mine spare is stowed. So they had to put it on top of the luggage.

MoranJ2000
06-13-2014, 05:09 PM
That is a bag to put the flat tire in so it doesn't get the interior of your car dirty. And by the way my gal pal got a flat with a load of people and luggage. She has a Honda Fot and the spare stows inside the car. The flat however did not fit where the mine spare is stowed. So they had to put it on top of the luggage.

Good point. Given a compact spare is so much smaller than a full-size wheel and tire, I doubt any car would accommodate a bad wheel in the space designed to hold the spare.

ciddyguy
08-15-2014, 11:53 PM
About leather, having it in my current car. It's rather low maintenance, just gotta remember to condition it at least once a year, or twice certainly, and it's just like wiping down your interior as far as effort is concerned.

That said, Have had vinyl and it's a horrid thing to have in a car, especially back when AC was NOT common like it is now. It's hot and sticky, and is just uncomfortable in a hot vehicle. It's also cold and stiff in the winter months until it warms up because it tends to not breath, unless perforated, unlike leather, which does breath and therefore cools/heats up much quicker, and even there, it'd only do so much due to it being vinyl. Leather at least stays pliable in all weather temps, and cools or heats up fairly quickly. I've had it in my current vehicle now for almost 3 years and would not go any other way, outside of plain ol' cloth, but some of the cloth interiors are SO dull that it hurts.

As for some of the other things said here, I tend to agree with SOME of them. Remember the actual glass itself for the sunroof is pretty wide, but agree, the actual opening could be a touch wider, though it takes up a LOT of headroom inside, especially in the back.

I have only test driven the DDC version of the L, and would love to try out the actual manual sometime. I DO agree that a go peddle or similar would help with tip in on the throttle, and I have NO problem revving the car up to about 4K rpm to get the most out of it, I have to do that now with my Mazda. It's only 130HP, out of a 2L 4, hustling along a 2700+# car though, running through a 4spd sport stick automatic, which I run in manual mode all the time and when the AC is off, the acceleration is much more snappy.

sjmst
09-09-2014, 02:48 PM
AWD and restyled front end. The "alien eyes" headlights and plain jane grill are not making it.
The double a pillar is also a weak spot, but I doubt they can change that.

Dcsdreams
10-07-2014, 04:44 PM
We've had our 500l a little over 3 months, and we love it. But, I would really like to see the time and temperature on the nav screen without turning on the radio. In fact, I would really like to use the nav without turning on the radio. I know, all I have to do is turn the radio down. But sometimes just a blank screen with the time/temp at the top would be nice. Not a problem if I'm the driver, since that info is on the center console, but sometimes I'm relegated to a passenger (bummer!). :peaceful:

Tweak
10-07-2014, 09:33 PM
We've had our 500l a little over 3 months, and we love it. But, I would really like to see the time and temperature on the nav screen without turning on the radio. In fact, I would really like to use the nav without turning on the radio. I know, all I have to do is turn the radio down. But sometimes just a blank screen with the time/temp at the top would be nice. Not a problem if I'm the driver, since that info is on the center console, but sometimes I'm relegated to a passenger (bummer!). :peaceful:

Welcome to the forum.

hal9000
10-07-2014, 11:54 PM
Stop with the ridiculous new 'collection' packages. Waited years for Fiat to come back. Planned on buying a trekking next spring when my current lease is up. Out of nowhere Fiat decides if you want a trekking with a sunroof you have to have an accent colored roof!? Want heated seats in your trekking? Sure..but your roof and mirrors can't be the same color as the rest of your car. Brilliant move.

Maproot
10-19-2014, 12:46 AM
The 500l needed a red fabric interior! I've only had my car less than a week, but bought cheap universal seat covers because my seats are grey and they will stain quickly and show the dirt!

Are there any seat covers specifically for 500L at a reasonable cost?

tytotheler92
03-25-2015, 11:40 PM
My only problem? The headlight styling and steering wheel two tone is a bit too radical and maybe a tone down to both would improve sales some. Otherwise, I love the Black and Stone Trekking interior and have no complaints on the materials used anywhere. Also, maybe a grille change would help some too. The solid chrome bar is a little much for a vehicle without much chrome. Maybe painted the same color as the handles or something....

Ez2517
08-25-2015, 06:59 AM
Bigger seats. Improved interior build quality (less rattles).

abcward
10-14-2015, 01:19 PM
I second the person earlier who wanted the Homelink Garage Door option. I have had my 2015 L Trekking for a week and that option I do miss.

More wants:

- more storage in my armrest. The current one holds almost nothing.
- rear seat usb power, for kids charging their phones/devices during trips

nykonos
05-08-2016, 11:54 PM
I wish there was a spoiler option like the difference from the 500 to the abarth. I think the 500L with an abarth like spoiler would look really good on them.

Mama's Leadfoot
10-09-2018, 09:52 PM
...I like the way the 500L's as they are, as far as what we're getting for the cost of purchase. I feel I've gotten my money's worth with the Trekking.

Yep, me too. For the price, I expected vinyl.