PDA

View Full Version : shifter flops around while in gear

stratofortress
08-31-2013, 04:46 PM
Happens most noticeably in 3rd and 5th, probably because those are in my field of vision when looking straight.

It never pops out of gear and nothing feels wrong but when I engine brake or get on it the shifter jumps maybe an inch or two forward if I'm engine braking or aft if I goose the throttle.

Is this normal? I know we don't have strong motor mounts so thinking this isn't a big deal.

James Hunt
08-31-2013, 06:51 PM
normal

RustyPaint
09-01-2013, 02:00 PM
This is also why should not leave your hand on the shifter after you select a gear since it will put strain on the linkage when it tries to flop around from the torquing of the engine.

stratofortress
09-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Whew, thanks guys.

Yeah, I never touch the clutch pedal unless I'm going to use it soon and don't rest my hand on the shifter. If I do, I'll barely rest it on the knob to allow it to move however it wants to.

jguerdat
09-03-2013, 08:49 AM
This is also why should not leave your hand on the shifter after you select a gear since it will put strain on the linkage when it tries to flop around from the torquing of the engine.

Actually, that's not quite correct. It won't hurt the linkage but may cause the shift forks made of brass to make contact rather than just floating, causing them to wear over time forcing an early replacement. It's much cheaper to just remove your hand from the shifter, rather like using your brakes to slow/stop the car rather than using engine braking to do most of the work (yes, I know there are reasons to use engine braking).

trevc
09-03-2013, 01:05 PM
You can stiffen the dog bone mount (lower engine mount) and this will reduce the movement significantly.
Take a look here http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10475-Rear-Motor-Mount&p=620893&viewfull=1#post620893

sfhpawel
09-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Perhaps you've been using your shifter for other than shifting?arcadefreak

DS Ocampo
09-03-2013, 05:27 PM
You can stiffen the dog bone mount (lower engine mount) and this will reduce the movement significantly.
Take a look here http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10475-Rear-Motor-Mount&p=620893&viewfull=1#post620893

This will help... I used 80 but if I did it again 60 would be the best bet and it's cheap.. Order another dog bone and do it to that one so you can switch them out if needed

stratofortress
09-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Take a look here http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10475-Rear-Motor-Mount&p=620893&viewfull=1#post620893Cool. But if it's normal it doesn't bother me that much.

Perhaps you've been using your shifter for other than shifting?arcadefreakI'm scared to ask you to clarify this statement...

wilbmeister
09-05-2013, 04:37 PM
After reading this I took special notice today of my shifter to see how much wiggle was in it. There was absolutely no movement at all. I even left my hand on it lightly to feel if there was some movement. It seemed very solid in every gear. I should note that I have a Craven short shifter installed and I don't know if that makes a difference.