PDA

View Full Version : winter tire/rim help

silky
08-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Hey all,

Picked up my Abarth a month or so ago. It is the Red/White with white mirrors and white 17" rims. I commute 150km (95miles) per day and I live in the Toronto area so snow tires are important. Looking for opinions and suggestions on what wheel/tire package I should go for. I've decided not to just buy tires and swap them onto the stock rims because I'm sure the salt will damage the rims, plus the cost of removing and reinstalling the tires 2x/year will pay for the rims after a couple of seasons.

Originally I was going to go with the Ciao Vernazza with 195-45-16's like another member did (forget his name but I remember he is from Barrie, Ontario). I like the idea of the direct fit 4x98 spacing but the colour concerns me. I just don't think the matte black will look right with the red/white colour scheme.

My second option is the Sparco Assetto Garo in white with the same pirellie 195-45-16s. I like these rims because they look damn close to the factor rims and are white. I'm a little concerned that they need wobble bolts etc but it is what it is.

For a second tire option I was looking at a Yokahama tire. I cannot remember the name but the size is 195-50-16. The benefit to this tire is that it is almost identical in Rev's per mile to the stockers so the spedo would be almost the same. These are more expensive than the Pirellis both in price and because I would have to buy the rims and tires separately (from diff stores) so mounting/balancing I would have to pay extra.

any input is appreciated!

08-31-2013, 01:49 PM
The guy in Barrie is a genius, do what he said!! ;)

I couldnt recommend the Pirelli snowcontrol 2s enough - very good tires and only $88 each in 16s! Try the tire rack website, you can see pictures of the Abarth in any colour and with any of their wheels superimposed to see what they look like. Im lazy and couldnt cope with constantly cleaning any other colour of rim during the winter. At least theres plenty of choice out there!!

FTY
08-31-2013, 03:40 PM

I couldnt recommend the Pirelli snowcontrol 2s enough - very good tires and only $88 each in 16s! Try the tire rack website, you can see pictures of the Abarth in any colour and with any of their wheels superimposed to see what they look like. Im lazy and couldnt cope with constantly cleaning any other colour of rim during the winter. At least theres plenty of choice out there!!

I used the Blizzak ws60's last year on my 17" OZs and the car was unstoppable, really impressed with the car and tires, was able to make it through some very nasty conditions. I may go with a set of neu-fs with the snow tires mounted this winter. We had one of the nastiest winters which resulted in major highways being closed etc. and I was always able to make it into work. Guys thought I was joking, thinking I took the Toyota Sequoia in but when they looked in the parking lot the Abarth sat there proud.

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/RAabarth13.jpg

Abarth619
08-31-2013, 04:05 PM
I can vouch for the Blizzaks as well. My brother used them on his 350Z and Mazdaspeed 3 and never did he get stuck in the snow. We are skiers and snowboarders and made many trips to NH and VT with no issues. Little cars with good tires and a manual will go anywhere in the snow.

sjmst
08-31-2013, 04:28 PM
i used the blizzak ws60's last year on my 17" ozs and the car was unstoppable, really impressed with the car and tires, was able to make it through some very nasty conditions....
http://www.eurocompulsion.net/raabarth13.jpg

ditto

silky
08-31-2013, 05:51 PM

Thanks everyone!!!

I will probably go with the Snowcontrol 2's and the sparco assetto garo...I can get the entire package for about $800 mounted and balanced and will get a $75 mail in rebate on top of that...seems decent. I am a little worried about the wobble bolts as I would prefer a true 4x98 but beggers cant be choosers!

What about the TPMS? should I just go without for the winter? I really don't want to pay Tire Rack another $170 for them!!!

08-31-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks everyone!!!

I will probably go with the Snowcontrol 2's and the sparco assetto garo...I can get the entire package for about $800 mounted and balanced and will get a $75 mail in rebate on top of that...seems decent. I am a little worried about the wobble bolts as I would prefer a true 4x98 but beggers cant be choosers!

What about the TPMS? should I just go without for the winter? I really don't want to pay Tire Rack another $170 for them!!!

Thats a great deal. I wanted those rims but wobble bolts worried me too, however theyre approved in the industry and by the suits so sure theyre fine.

We have Blizzaks on our van and theyre also excellent, I just find them a bit louder - although that may be on our heavier vehicle?!

TPMS is a personal choice, I hate having it at all and the van ones have been replaced so many times as they rot, snap off, and leave me with a flat tire! Theyre pretty cheap though in Tire Rack, save you staring at the light and if you ever sell the set make them more appealing to buyers! I got them for those reasons but wish I didnt have it at all.

silky
08-31-2013, 07:38 PM
I've never dealt with TPMS before. Is that something I can add myself after I receive them or does it have to be done before tires are installed?

08-31-2013, 09:12 PM
You can add them later but it involves the tires removing and would cost more for sure. Live with the light on and save a few bucks, its only for 4/5 months a year!

I know guys that bypassed TPMS. A pipe made with a cap on one end and valve on the other. Sensors inside, pipe pumped to correct PSI and left in the trunk or glove box!! System fooled.

silky
09-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Nice, I think I will go with the Pirelli 195x45x16 and the Sparco Assetto Garo in white. I've been in the US for about 2 weeks so I won't have to pay taxes/duty on it. I'll just have it all shipped to Niagara Falls and pick them up myself.

silky
09-01-2013, 08:58 PM
I'm assuming the +37 offset of those rims will work with the Abarth?

I am still considering the TPMS because I've alread had a puncture and only knew because of the system. However, it really irks me that TireRack charges an extra $30 in shipping for a featherlite item that is mounted inside the already mounted tire. SIGH

elorablue
09-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Good info. Is there nowhere in Canada to get rims and snows?

mcleay
09-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Pmctire. Ca

SunRedRX7
09-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Hello, now that winter is getting near, I'm looking for a dedicated set of snow/rims for my Abarth. Any preference between the Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Serie 3 vs the 2? I see that the Serie 3 have run flat capability, which for our cars with no spare seems like a nice feature.

Serie 3 http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+Snowcontrol+Serie+3+Run+Flat

Serie 2 http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+Snowcontrol+Serie+II

Thanks for any input.

wilbmeister
09-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Hello, now that winter is getting near, I'm looking for a dedicated set of snow/rims for my Abarth. Any preference between the Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Serie 3 vs the 2? I see that the Serie 3 have run flat capability, which for our cars with no spare seems like a nice feature.

Serie 3 http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+Snowcontrol+Serie+3+Run+Flat

Serie 2 http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+Snowcontrol+Serie+II

Thanks for any input.
SunRed, I also live in WNY. I have Blizzaks on the OEM 17" rims. They work great in our winters around here. Sorry, I can't comment on the run flats. Where in WNY are you?

Bellissimo
09-12-2013, 04:36 PM
I used the Blizzak ws60's last year on my 17" OZs and the car was unstoppable, really impressed with the car and tires, was able to make it through some very nasty conditions. I may go with a set of neu-fs with the snow tires mounted this winter. We had one of the nastiest winters which resulted in major highways being closed etc. and I was always able to make it into work. Guys thought I was joking, thinking I took the Toyota Sequoia in but when they looked in the parking lot the Abarth sat there proud.

http://www.eurocompulsion.net/RAabarth13.jpg

FTY - do you know the model of those OZs by chance? I'd love to pick up the same combination of wheel/tire - though in black/grey for the coming winter! Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Kev

SunRedRX7
09-16-2013, 06:28 AM
SunRed, I also live in WNY. I have Blizzaks on the OEM 17" rims. They work great in our winters around here. Sorry, I can't comment on the run flats. Where in WNY are you?

Hello wilbmeister, I live in Kenmore, NY(borders North of Buffalo), but the real winter fun is that my girlfriend lives in South Dayton, NY, so I'm expecting to run into a LOT of snow driving out that way. I've had Blizzak WS60s on my prior car since 2005, but I'm not finding the Blizzaks on tirerack.com in 195/45-16 which is what is steering me towards the Pirellis.

BTW, if you see a cute 4yr old and her mom in a Caravan pointing at your car, that would be the mentioned girlfriend and her daughter, as they mentioned to me that they saw a car like mine while in Jamestown for preschool recently. The 4yr old will be yelling "LOBSTER CAR!".

wilbmeister
09-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Hello wilbmeister, I live in Kenmore, NY(borders North of Buffalo), but the real winter fun is that my girlfriend lives in South Dayton, NY, so I'm expecting to run into a LOT of snow driving out that way. I've had Blizzak WS60s on my prior car since 2005, but I'm not finding the Blizzaks on tirerack.com in 195/45-16 which is what is steering me towards the Pirellis.

BTW, if you see a cute 4yr old and her mom in a Caravan pointing at your car, that would be the mentioned girlfriend and her daughter, as they mentioned to me that they saw a car like mine while in Jamestown for preschool recently. The 4yr old will be yelling "LOBSTER CAR!".

Haha...I love the Lobster Car. Maybe you need special plates with that on it. If your girlfriend sees us somewhere tell her to say hello. Maybe I'll see you in town sometime.

I have the only Abarth in Jamestown. I presume yours is red. Maybe I'll see you in town here sometime. That would be great!

SunRedRX7
09-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Hehehe, Special plates I have.

So when the girlfriend's daughter first saw my car she walks over to it and gives it a funny look.
"Mikee, why does your car have a lobster on it?"
My response, "thats not a lobster, thats a scorpion"
"Whats a scorpion?"
Well, I couldn't tell her its this mean little creature that likes to hide in shoes and sting you when you put them on for fear of her mom never talking to me again(before she was my girlfriend). So I told her, its like a "Land Lobster", at which point she was happy with that.
About a week later I ordered the License plate LNDLBSTR. The looks I get are priceless, from people trying to get it, to those that do get it. Plus I got a cool story for its origin.

wilbmeister
09-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Hehehe, Special plates I have.

So when the girlfriend's daughter first saw my car she walks over to it and gives it a funny look.
"Mikee, why does your car have a lobster on it?"
My response, "thats not a lobster, thats a scorpion"
"Whats a scorpion?"
Well, I couldn't tell her its this mean little creature that likes to hide in shoes and sting you when you put them on for fear of her mom never talking to me again(before she was my girlfriend). So I told her, its like a "Land Lobster", at which point she was happy with that.
About a week later I ordered the License plate LNDLBSTR. The looks I get are priceless, from people trying to get it, to those that do get it. Plus I got a cool story for its origin.

Love it!

Do you know about the WNY chapter for the Fiat Club of America? They have get togethers/drives every so often. Fun to get together and drive to different places like restaurants or car shows. If you want information let me know. The next ride is scheduled for Oct 20.

Thomas
09-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Silky. I will second the Barrie genius, the Pirelli Snow Controls are outstanding. I got the Borbet LV4. They don't require wobble bolts. Check them out on Tire Rack. Check around before you buy from Tire rack, although if you pick them up in the States (as you said), you should be fine. I bought mine locally at a place called Tires 23, and I saved 250.00 over TR. I would recommend getting them in 16" size.