PDA

View Full Version : ESC ON = More pops and backfires.

deathshead
08-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Anyone notice this? Since the car has been new I typically either use esc partial or full off because I hate the way
the car drops power with a little wheel spin.

the past 2 days i left it on and noticed lots more backfires and pops in all driving conditions.. the car "sounds" better..
Very strange indeed.

stealthy1ss
08-31-2013, 12:31 PM
That is because the brakes are holding the motor back and it loads up with fuel creating the pop.

Abarth Phreak
08-31-2013, 01:01 PM
Rocket science at its best!nutkick

Indie500L
08-31-2013, 01:21 PM
If it is popping then it sounds like the ESC is not firing the spark plug to control power but still injecting the fuel - kind of wasteful!

Fiat500USA
08-31-2013, 04:28 PM
If it is popping then it sounds like the ESC is not firing the spark plug to control power but still injecting the fuel - kind of wasteful!

They don't do that. You cannot have raw fuel go into a catalytic converter. All-Speed Traction Control works by reducing engine torque as well as applying the brakes in certain condition. Torque is reduced by closing the throttle valve.

If the wheel slip is severe enough to require throttle intervention, All-Speed Traction Control will reduce engine torque and sometimes even upshift the transmission (automatic trans) to avoid the condition. In milliseconds, All-Speed Traction Control interrogates the engine control system to determine the current torque output, determines how much the torque output the current conditions will allow, and signals this requirement to the engine control system, which reduces the torque by partially closing the throttle. With execution of the torque reduction, the brake system reduces brake pressure to make the transition smooth, while maintaining forward progress.

Throttle control makes the vehicle less reliant on brake application alone to maintain traction, increasing the operating speed range and more closely modulates speed, resulting in smoother operation. By reducing engine power, braking effectiveness is maintained and the system can operate throughout the normal vehicle speed range. That is why the system is identified as providing “all-speed” traction control.

Description with thanks to Chrysler LLC

Indie500L
08-31-2013, 05:07 PM
Maybe the wastegate opening up on the turbo then? what else would cause the popping and backfires?

Mr. Man
08-31-2013, 08:43 PM
I found something for you guys to check. Flick your headlights on and off and the volume of the exhaust changes slightly. Unless its just mine that does it LOL

Abarth Phreak
08-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Whenever there is a sudden slight loss of output any unspent gas sits longer and more condensed in the exhaust system causing it to relight and make the sounds...= Backfires.

So as Chris eluded...the ESC is closing throttle which reduces the speed at which the exhaust gases are leaving and causes them to ignite more often...its not a matter of more fuel, rather the time it takes to exit and the amount of the unspent gas present in certain points of travel.

deathshead
09-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Im talking about in situations like just driving around without really making the esc light kick on, as if its an entirely different fuel-timing map in the ECU all together with the esc button on.