PDA

View Full Version : First gear grinding/vibrating

GetsThruBuckner
08-31-2013, 02:11 AM
For the first time, this morning I heard a clunck when I started the car. As I pulled off in 1st gear I heard a distinct grinding/vibrating sound. I have tested it somewhat thoroughly and found that it only happens when I first start the car, and at the clutch engagement point in first gear. I have started from a near stop in 2nd gear and heard the same grinding. It doesn't happen once i'm moving into 3rd gear and so on. I made a video just in case some experts might be able to spot something. It's not a great video, but maybe it will help someone familiar with the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zow3wEUWGCY&feature=player_detailpage

MrFiat
08-31-2013, 09:47 AM
Sorry this is happening. Never fun when something is not quite right. Your video is good though as it does offer a couple of alternative possibilities. First, I'm not an expert on such things to be sure, but I do have a thought or two for you to consider.
My first thought was the clutch throw out bearing. It might make such noises if it were not moving back and forth freely or if the bearing itself was developing a problem. (does the clutch pedal feel normal to you)? Can you feel anything abnormal at the pedal when the noise occurs?
My second thought was one of the CV joints may be developing a bearing problem.
Lastly, (hope this is not the case), one of the main bearings in the transmission might be developing a problem. If this is the case, getting it repaired sooner rather than later is your best course of action. A transmission bearing failure will leave you stranded on the side of the road (or worse) as it could lock the trans up without warning.
In either event, It seems like it's time to get the service department to do a warrenty repair or at least a diagnostic session.
It could also be something a simple as a piece of road desbris caught under the car and rubbing on an axle shaft, but you would have probably noticed that.
Again, sorry you have to go through this, but you are correct, it sure sounds like something is about to fail. Keep us posted.

wilbmeister
08-31-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out. I agree with MrFiat that you should get it to the tech at the studio and get some diagnostics done. Good luck!

MrFiat
08-31-2013, 01:14 PM
Hmmm? Some of the noise seems to occur after the car has stopped. Given the way you were moving the car in the video, the noise might possibly be caused by the automatic brake adjustment mechanism ??? (just a thought for whatever it's worth).

GetsThruBuckner
09-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Yes the clutch pedal does move freely. I don't really feel anything abnormal in the pedal at the engagement point, only hear it. I called to make a service appointment, but with the holiday no one can get me in until next week. I called all 3 local dealerships, same stories. I was going to consider bringing it somewhere privately, but if it's a warranty repair i'd like to get it done without charge. fingersx

nerdvana
09-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Hmmm? Some of the noise seems to occur after the car has stopped. Given the way you were moving the car in the video, the noise might possibly be caused by the automatic brake adjustment mechanism ??? (just a thought for whatever it's worth).

The OP can tell us for sure, but I though the post-stop noise was the application of the handbrake rather than anything related to the problem.

GetsThruBuckner
09-04-2013, 09:20 PM
The OP can tell us for sure, but I though the post-stop noise was the application of the handbrake rather than anything related to the problem.

Yes, some of the clicking while the vehicle comes to a stop is me applying the handbrake. The noise mainly occurs while I'm leaching forward and right at the clutch engagement point. I will try to post a better video tomorrow. Since the dealership can't look at my car until late next week, maybe someone's professional eyes/ears can spot something in the meantime. If I can capture it properly, maybe it will help someone with the same issue in the future. Though I hope no one ever encounters the same issue with their vehicle.

Indie500L
09-04-2013, 09:42 PM
depending upon mileage and clutch you could have either a worn or damaged clutch disk and or throw out bearing, maybe a video inside the car watching the clutch pedal so we hear what you hear inside the car might be more helpful. There is a whirring sound that seems to match engine rpm too.

GetsThruBuckner
09-04-2013, 10:25 PM
depending upon mileage and clutch you could have either a worn or damaged clutch disk and or throw out bearing, maybe a video inside the car watching the clutch pedal so we hear what you hear inside the car might be more helpful. There is a whirring sound that seems to match engine rpm too.

6800 miles, I will try that when I shoot the video tomorrow. Good thinking, thanks.

Indie500L
09-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Oh god that's low mileage so we can almost rule out a worn clutch unless you have been practicing hole shots!

GetsThruBuckner
09-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Hopefully this video provides a little bit more insight. The noise happens just after the engine turns over, then at the clutch engagement point only at low speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi3GBHGLVWE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I will try to take another video of my foot letting off the clutch from a stop. Just working on how I can shoot that video. Im dropping it off Thursday evening, so I will shoot it tomorrow.

GetsThruBuckner
09-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Oh god that's low mileage so we can almost rule out a worn clutch unless you have been practicing hole shots!

Haha. No, no hole shot attempts at all.

Tweak
09-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Says video is private...

GetsThruBuckner
09-11-2013, 01:10 AM
Says video is private...

Fixed. Thanks!

b56.1m6
09-11-2013, 12:17 PM
The second video sounds like the bendix gear on the starter is riding along with the flywheel instead of disengaging. I couldnt hear it in the first video but after watching the second one I could.

BigDaddySRT
09-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Do you have Hill Assist ON or OFF?

GetsThruBuckner
09-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Do you have Hill Assist ON or OFF?

Always off. Oddly enough this first happened after I had been driving with the ESC fully off for the first time in a long while. I parked the car without hearing anything abnormal, and heard the noise when starting and pulling off the next morning. Unsure if it is at all related.

GetsThruBuckner
09-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Well it seems that I have found the problem. It turns out that the screw that holds the plastic front air intake to the frame had come out. I must have not tightened it correctly when I installed the Ram Air Boot. The sound must have been caused by the plasic intake insert that goes into the front of the car rubbing against the metal frame that surrounds it. The significant amount of engine block travel involved during start-up, and Low RPM/High Torque scenarios such as initial acceleration from stop must have cause this plastic panel to rub and vibrate/grind. I temporarily used the only screw I could find that had the same thread coarsness/size/start. It's comically oversized but only temporary. I will hit the hardware store tomorrow to get something more appropriate. Have a look.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8aedso4QS64/UjEDBt6BWLI/AAAAAAAAG98/0i1oMw74Mb4/w674-h898-no/20130911_185441.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-atQeq25nOvU/UjEDC0vvrBI/AAAAAAAAG98/hsePGbIfHHc/w1197-h898-no/20130911_185448.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TbulhJq80Zg/UhkBYKM_c4I/AAAAAAAAGig/4PRsZZ1P-70/w674-h898-no/20130824_145410.jpg

This is the original screw that is now MIA :dunno:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-V4pCJNJmPbw/UhkBLNyy4QI/AAAAAAAAGiI/RnDOQQKZfdk/w1197-h898-no/20130824_145321.jpg

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful answers and attempts to help :sentimental:. It is greatly appreciated. I will be certain that the issue is fully resolved after my drive to work tomorrow.. If anything changes I will be sure to update.

Fiat500USA
09-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Cool news! I was at a loss trying to figure out that noise. Glad it worked out!

GetsThruBuckner
09-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Cool news! I was at a loss trying to figure out that noise. Glad it worked out!

Thanks for lending an ear to my videos in an attempt to help. I am embarrassed yet relieved. I am also amazed that something so simple could cause such a cringe-inducing noise. I was nearly certain that it was going to be a clutch/drivetrain issue. I'm going to be anxious in bed tonight :nightmare: thinking of hearing that sound at startup in the morning :dejection:. Let's hope my pseudo diagnostics were accurate in the long run. fingersx

trevc
09-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Glad to hear you got it worked out before you pulled the gearbox out!!

FTY
09-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Glad to hear you got it worked out before you pulled the gearbox out!!

+1 That would have been embarrassing... :)

Indie500L
09-12-2013, 11:24 AM
embarrassing and probably get charged for it too - those "special" screws are like $10.00 each PLUS TAX!!! ha haa ha ha always double check your work no matter how good you think you are!! NO WARRANTY FOR YOU!!!! NEXT!!!

GetsThruBuckner
09-12-2013, 08:55 PM
embarrassing and probably get charged for it too - those "special" screws are like $10.00 each PLUS TAX!!! ha haa ha ha always double check your work no matter how good you think you are!! NO WARRANTY FOR YOU!!!! NEXT!!!

Ain't that the truth...

MrFiat
09-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Hey Mon,
Good detective work on your part. Buck gets an 'Attaboy' !! Really glad it was nothing major.