PDA

View Full Version : First oil change - Normal amount burned?

mr_robs
08-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Hey all, just did my first oil change today at ~5500 miles. A little later than some would do it at, but well before Fiats recommended milage.

I followed Chris's guide which was very helpful, i just need to go out and get an angle extension to properly torque back down my filter before i drive the car.

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt294/britishbadass/IMG_3068.jpg (http://s621.photobucket.com/user/britishbadass/media/IMG_3068.jpg.html)

I pulled all of the oil out of the engine using an oil extractor and only ended up with about 2 quarts. This is somewhat concerning because i havent really abused the car in the time ive owned it. 3 mountain road drives, no autoX. Occasionally (3-4 times) i have had smoke out of the tail pipes when i slowly cruise out of my driveway after idling for about 5-10 minutes to warm up the car. I know turbo motors burn oil, and i should check it periodically but i really didnt think it would be necessary in the first 5000 miles.

Thoughts? Need i be concerned? Dont be a dumbass and check your oil more? Or dont stress this is normal.

Cheers guys.

Indie500L
08-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Did you check the oil level before you extracted it? Why didn't you just drain the oil out the drain plug, chances are you didn't get it all out since the engines hold about 4 quarts. Did this include the oil in the filter when you changed it?

lammie200
08-29-2013, 06:50 PM
You should be able to get it all out with an extractor. I use the exact same extractor and get 4 quarts out on the button.

mr_robs
08-29-2013, 06:52 PM
I didnt check the level before i extracted it. I did it this way because i didnt want to put the car up on stands, remove the underbody covers, get under the car and make a mess. This extracted all the oil in the sump, and includes the oil in the filter housing, just not what was soaked into the filter. The car took 4 quarts after i removed everything so i know i got it all out.

Indie500L
08-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Oh wow and you never got a low oil light come on while driving it? I guess you were lucky because it seems you were two quarts low which would tend to make the oil run a little hotter than normal especially with a turbo - the oil is used to cool the turbo which is why turbo engines usually require better oil and more frequent changes. I recommend checking the oil level every tank of gas until you see how quickly the level drops and keep it above the half low mark on the dip stick.

Fiat500USA
08-30-2013, 01:51 AM
Thanks for checking Fiat500USA.com out! If that happens again, I would check the oil and see if the dipstick doesn't show anything. Also, make sure you take the oil filter out first because that releases oil back into the sump. That is important. The other way to check is add 2 quarts of oil and see if the level rises to full. Technically, mixing two new quarts with the old oil would waste them, though.

A hint to get the oil flowing better into the container is to keep the container lower than the sump as much as possible. That greatly speeds up the syphoning process.

trevc
08-30-2013, 11:07 AM
I had problems sucking through the dip stick hole and not being able to get all the oil out on my Abarth (never had issues with my other cars).
So now I always use the drain plug. Extra work but it's not like I have to do it that often.

lammie200
08-30-2013, 11:30 AM
I had problems sucking through the dip stick hole...

You were using an extractor, ight?beerchug

trevc
08-30-2013, 11:39 AM
I was using the wife's vacuum cleaner. Was that wrong?

You were using an extractor, ight?beerchug

Indie500L
08-30-2013, 11:46 AM
That will work but you have to open the filler cap to let air in and then hide it from her or else she will wonder why it is leaking oil the next time she goes to use it!

lammie200
08-30-2013, 11:54 AM
I was using the wife's vacuum cleaner. Was that wrong?

I don't think so. I use our oven to powdercoat all the time. Last time we baked a pizza it came out with 90% gloss! Mmmm:nightmare: