PDA

View Full Version : 500L Roof Rails and Cross Bars ???

UomoNuovo
08-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Greetings All - and please pardon me if this has been covered in a different thread (search but didn't find)

I looked at the Mopar web site (and paper catalogue) and didn't see FIAT supplied roof rails and cross bars. They make reference to a Thule product, but I haven't seen data on that yet. Does anyone know if it is even possible to put roof rails and cross bars on the FIAT 500L which has a sunroof?

All ideas and resource references are welcomed. Thanks!

Andree
08-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Is this what you already looked at?
http://www.mopar.com/fiat/500l/2014/shop/360318/274/4961/

Andree
08-29-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm learning the names of the things, they're calling the side to side bars "Sport-Utility Bars" or "Sport Utility Bars" , like here:
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/sport-utility-bars82211487.html

That one says "Black Mopar multi-purpo*se sport utility bars with metal side channels included in kit."

This is the Side Rails link:
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/black-production-side-rails82211137ab.html

Definitely won't work with a sunroof. Too low.

Andree
08-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Still looking.

Things I've found for the regular 500 say they aren't for cars with sunroof or convertibles, like this:
http://www.mopar.com/part/TRAB4711?s=331527&i=2607617&b=fiat

This says it's for vehicles without production side rails, and that it's removable:
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/removable-roof-rack-w-o-production-side-railstr486056.html

Here's a bunch of stuff. All sorts of parts for the roof racks.
http://www.rackattack.com/thule-base-rack-systems.asp

They have a toll-free number. I suppose the kind of rack depends on what you have to carry on it. Might want to give them a call, and if they don't know, ask them to find out. So you know, and all the rest of the people will know what parts to order.

Curious
08-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Hey Andree take a look at the bars the 500L shown on the link from your first post. Zoom in on the bars and you will see that they clamp on to the door frames. See your post about the side rails. They are rails that go front to rear.

The ones by Mopar are bars that go left to right. I do believe they can go on to cars with sunroofs.

And if you look at the 4 cars pictured you will see that they offer, racks to hold kayaks, racks to hold skis, bikes, etc. But what you do not see offered is the actual bars that go across the car from left to right along with the 4 feet mounts that mount to each door frame. Without this gear you got nothing to attach the bike rack to, or the kayak to, etc.

I guess that will be offered soon.

UomoNuovo
08-29-2013, 08:38 PM
Right - I did see the "add-ons" for kayak, bike, skis, etc... but I was not able to find adequate info on the actual "door frame mounts" and cross bars... I'll link to what Andree has posted (thanks) and I'll do some more research, too... I'll post when I find out but it's going to be at least a week or two... sorry, but moving to a new house and school is starting this week... these rails are not mission critical, but by winter they could come in handy... or roofy (oh, wait, that's supposed to be a bad thing)... anyway, thanks for the info...

Andree
08-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Link to larger picture of Trekking with Thule roof rack parts:
https://mopar.chromedata.com//RichContent/CDJR/MA2_BF_2013_tcoes599_T000.JPG

From this page: http://www.mopar.com/part/TCOES599?s=360318&i=276950&b=fiat

Text from below first link:
"The Thule 480R Rapid Traverse Foot Pack is the best fitting foot for vehicles without a factory rack or rain gutters. Thule 480 Rapid Traverse replaces the Thule 400XTR Aero foot, offering simplified installation and a stronger fit.
...Requires Thule Traverse Fit Kit and Thule Rapid Aero load bars to complete, both sold separately

Three things needed and in the photo:

The "feet", which may be this style, Thule 480R Rapid Traverse Thule Without Rain Gutter Foot Packs:
http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-480R-traverse.asp

The "premium, aerodynamic Thule Rapid Aero bars" shown in the "foot" link and on the Trekking photo, and the doodad that the "feet" attach to, called "Thule Traverse Fit Kit".

There are a crapload of fit kits, we'd need to know which one specifically fits the Trekking:
http://www.rackattack.com/thule-fit-kits.asp?page=5

Here are some "AeroBlade" bars for the Aero not the Traverse called "Rapid Aero".
http://www.rackattack.com/thule-load-bars.asp

How's that? Good enough?

Now you all know that there are several parts, and what the brand is. I don't know if Mopar will offer up the whole assembly or do it in three separate part numbers as is done on the Rack store. Probably three separate parts.

I don't know if you all have a rain gutter or not, so I picked "not", but at least you have a better idea of the parts and costs.

Andree
08-30-2013, 02:50 AM
Here ya go, exact items.

Thule Fit Guide
http://www.thule.com/fitguide/default.aspx?language=en&market=ae#

Select "Roof Rack" > Fiat > 500 > 5-dr Hatchback 2012- > 2014 > and it chooses "Normal Roof" for you. Then Continue.

Select "WingBar 969", Thule Rapid System 754, Kit 1723 Rapid, Thule One-Key System, 4 cylinders.

There ya go. That's what you need. Four things.

Fazzster
08-30-2013, 09:51 AM
I have the Thule 480 with the 1723 fit kit made for the 500L. Use the 50" load bars.....Also, I have been in contact with FIAT and they have a trailer hitch ready but all the "paperwork" has not been signed off on for its release.

Curious
09-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Love to see pictures of your roof rack. Up close pictures would be great for those with a sunroof wondering if a rack could be added to their car. I think it should be possible since the feet mount to the door frames. Not certain of the height though as the glass would need to travel under the load bars so good feet height would be best. Thanks in advance.

Curious
09-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Fiat now has a rack available. It's part number TRAB5323 and sells for $340.00 It's not shown on the Mopar site. It's made by Thule.

my500L
09-14-2013, 06:29 PM
They still do not have a ship date or availability date for these yet though. I have been waiting patiently.

Fazzster
09-14-2013, 07:38 PM

Curious
09-14-2013, 09:48 PM
They still do not have a ship date or availability date for these yet though. I have been waiting patiently.

A dealer in Greensboro,NC has one in stock, just got it yesterday.

Curious
09-14-2013, 10:08 PM

Love to know how the feet of your rack attach to the door frame. I went to a Thule dealer today and we looked at exactly all of the equipment you have on your 500L. I noticed a hole in each door frame that is threaded. Do the feet brackets screw into your door frame? Love to see an up close picture of how a foot is secured to the door frame, with a screw, if that's how it's secured. Thanks.

dichiee
09-16-2013, 12:54 AM
Are these rack available for 500L with sunroof?

Curious
09-16-2013, 07:45 PM
For everyone's info today i bought the roof rack from the Greensboro,NC dealer. Should get it via UPS in a day or two. This coming Saturday I will take it to my local dealer and will place it on the roof of a 500L they have there with a sunroof, provided it has not been sold by then.

Will then let you all know if the glass can slide under the crossbars and if the feet are mounted on the metal sides of the roof. Hang tight for the verdict.

Andree
09-17-2013, 04:09 AM
For everyone's info today i bought the roof rack from the Greensboro,NC dealer. Should get it via UPS in a day or two. This coming Saturday I will take it to my local dealer and will place it on the roof of a 500L they have there with a sunroof, provided it has not been sold by then.

Will then let you all know if the glass can slide under the crossbars and if the feet are mounted on the metal sides of the roof. Hang tight for the verdict.

Excellent! Will you be getting the roof rack installed then at the dealer too?

Fazzster
09-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Love to know how the feet of your rack attach to the door frame. I went to a Thule dealer today and we looked at exactly all of the equipment you have on your 500L. I noticed a hole in each door frame that is threaded. Do the feet brackets screw into your door frame? Love to see an up close picture of how a foot is secured to the door frame, with a screw, if that's how it's secured. Thanks.
The Thule brackets have a peg that sticks right into the hole built into the FIAT unibody. I never seen this done before, its a great idea. The pegs of the Thule are not threaded so no, they do not screw in.

Fazzster
09-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Are these rack available for 500L with sunroof?

The rack sits rather high as to not interfere with the sunroof.

Curious
09-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Excellent! Will you be getting the roof rack installed then at the dealer too?

Nope. I already put the rack together. Was very easy to do. However I can't put both bars on my car as one bar was missing a small part. I agree with Fazzster. The rack does sit rather high. i am almost certain it would work on a car with a sunroof, think the glass will go under the bars. However I just wonder if the feet can be placed to the left and to the right of the glass and not have to sit on the glass. Only way to know that for certain will be to place the rack on a car with a sunroof.

As mentioned yesterday I will try that on Saturday. Going out of town on business Thursday and Friday. Will advise my findings on Saturday, again if they still have their car with a sunroof.

Curious
09-17-2013, 08:38 PM
The Thule brackets have a peg that sticks right into the hole built into the FIAT unibody. I never seen this done before, its a great idea. The pegs of the Thule are not threaded so no, they do not screw in.

Those pegs are rather nifty, makes it hard for someone to steal the racks. They would have to open all of the doors to get those brackets removed. I just wonder why they are pegs and not screws. After all the hole in the doors are threaded for screws to go in them.

Curious
09-17-2013, 08:52 PM
Forgot to mention this. See the new thread today from FIAT500USA about the Mopar accessories just released. Once you get to that site/announcement please scroll down and look at the roof racks on the white 500L. As you will see those bars end at the insides of the rack feet. Now scroll down and check out the rack on the yellow Treking. As you will those bars sit on top of the feet and extend out about 8 inches past the feet. That is the rack you will get, not the ones shown on the white cars. That's the one I got today. It's a really nice rack.

Curious
09-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Of folks I went to the local Fiat dealership to place my rack on their 500L that has a sunroof. Unfortunately it had been sold, no surprise there. So I can not tell you if the Fiat/Thule rack will fit on a car with a sunroof or not. However once you see the pictures you will know instantly. As you will see in the pictures there is a plastic or rubber strip on the roof of my 500L that goes the full length of the roof, front to rear. It's about 3/4 of an inch wide. The feet of these racks sit mostly on the metal of the roof and partially on this strip.

If cars with sunroofs have this plastic strip going from from to rear then this rack should work. If it goes from metal straight to glass without this strip then it would not work as the feet would have to sit on the glass.

The roof is curved and the lowest point of clearance is at the center of the roof where it's at it's highest point, right at 2 and 1/2 inch clearance.

As previously mentioned the clamps that attach to the doors have a peg, not a screw that go into a hole in the door frame. The holes in the door frames are threaded, no clue why the pegs are not threaded.

I can't always attach pictures from my I-Pad so Andree will add some pics for me. I've already emailed them to Andree. Thanks much Andree. Hope this helps you folks with a sunroof to determine if this rack will work or not. I am just not certain if this strip is on cars with sunroofs or not.

Andree
09-22-2013, 08:25 PM
And the pics from Curious are here! Had to resize.

Andree
09-22-2013, 08:37 PM
If they're too small, let me know, it will obviously depend on monitor display preferences for each person. And the pics were HUGE, on my current monitor setting 1MB or more. First thing is to change your monitor resolution (smaller) to view the pics much larger.

I currently have my monitor set at 1600 x 900. It's my reading and game playing resolution. Anyway, if the pics are way too small for most folks, I can upload the originals at full size on my Flickr.

Fiat500USA
09-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Here are a couple of images for you:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-KqAmEM-owxw/Ujy4W7BkG8I/AAAAAAAASq8/utNzIezOohQ/s800/Fiat_500L-Accessories%2520%252810%2529.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-JN18bQKAFGc/Uj-bPfbt5cI/AAAAAAAASrE/L613jptJ0a0/s800/Fiat%2520500L%2520trekking%2520%2520roof%2520rack. jpg

n00dle
09-23-2013, 01:28 AM
http://www.mopar.eu/PublishingImages/merchandising/fiat/500L/gallery/940x500_Portasci.jpg

Curious
09-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Here are a couple of images for you:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-KqAmEM-owxw/Ujy4W7BkG8I/AAAAAAAASq8/utNzIezOohQ/s800/Fiat_500L-Accessories%2520%252810%2529.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-JN18bQKAFGc/Uj-bPfbt5cI/AAAAAAAASrE/L613jptJ0a0/s800/Fiat%2520500L%2520trekking%2520%2520roof%2520rack. jpg

First off I must say thanks to Andree for posting the pictures of my rack for me. I think Fazzster must have gotten a Thule rack with a 1723 fit kit from a Thule dealer. Sorry Fazzster if I am incorrect here. And I think you have square tube bars on your rack from the looks of it, not the aero bars as shown on the Yellow Treking above. Those are the bars that came with the rack that I got from a Fiat dealer who got them from Fiat/Mopar.

Mine cost $340.00 I priced the exact same rack from a local Thule and it would have cost about $85.00 more.

I only mention all of this as some of you may prefer the look of the rack on the white car above instead of the looks of the rack on the yellow Treking above. On the white one the bars end at the feet of the racks and actually go inside the feet of that rack. On the one on the Treking the bars sit on top of the feet and extend out about 8 inches past the ends of the feet.

I do not think Fiat/Mopar offers a rack like the one on the white one. If you order one form a Fiat dealer then I think you will get one like the one on the Treking above.

If you want one like the one on the white car then I think you will need to get one from a Thule dealer and just be certain you get the 1723 fit kit.

I just wonder why Fiat shows the rack shown on the white car. Kind of a mystery. Perhaps Jonathan from Fiat Cares can explain how to get that rack.

my500L
09-28-2013, 12:16 PM
For those of you who have installed the aero bars, have you noticed any whistling from wind turbulence? I have had the Thule racks in the past and always had to use the deflector. The racks I had used in the past were the square tube style.
I think that the rack pictured on the white car may be for the Euro market. On my previous car, the rack looked just like the one pictured on the white car and was made by Monteblanc not Thule.

Curious
09-28-2013, 05:02 PM
For the whistling sound try putting in the rubber inserts in on the bottom of the aero bars. Need to fill in the spaces on the bottom of the aero bars to the left and right of the feet. I think that's where your whistling sound comes from.

Don't know who makes the rack on the white 500L. Am certain Jonathan from Fiat Cares can tell you who made that rack. I got the aero bars as shown on the yellow Treking. That was from Fiat/Mopar.

FiatCares
09-30-2013, 12:05 PM
For the whistling sound try putting in the rubber inserts in on the bottom of the aero bars. Need to fill in the spaces on the bottom of the aero bars to the left and right of the feet. I think that's where your whistling sound comes from.

Don't know who makes the rack on the white 500L. Am certain Jonathan from Fiat Cares can tell you who made that rack. I got the aero bars as shown on the yellow Treking. That was from Fiat/Mopar.

I’ll see what I can find and if I’m allowed to give it out. Normally, the names of the vendor and/or suppliers are proprietary.

Curious
09-30-2013, 07:04 PM
Hey Jonathan to me no big deal if you can't say who made the rack on the white 500L. I just think folks should know if they can get that rack from Fiat/Mopar since you do show that rack on your site.

Or some may want the one on the yellow Treking that you also show on your site. Just let everyone know which ones are or are not available thru Fiat/Mopar.

UomoNuovo
09-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Revisiting my original post - all good/useful info here... especially the close-up photos of the "feet." (thank you all posters)... Having now seen how the foot rests partially upon the rubber "gutter" strip on non-sunroof models, I would have to say, sadly, that the sunroof (as I have) will NOT fit the feet. There is no rubber gutter track, so the glass roof edge seems to occupy the roof space where that rubber track inset would be. This leaves a small sliver of curved roof edge (about four inches maybe) and this seems too narrow a strip of roof metal to get an adequate "toe" hold for the crossrails foot. I'll be happy to be proven wrong. Any sunroofers tried a Thule or other rack system yet?

FiatCares
10-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Hey Jonathan to me no big deal if you can't say who made the rack on the white 500L. I just think folks should know if they can get that rack from Fiat/Mopar since you do show that rack on your site.

Or some may want the one on the yellow Treking that you also show on your site. Just let everyone know which ones are or are not available thru Fiat/Mopar.

Oh, ok... ill see what I can find and get back with all of you.

FiatCares
10-03-2013, 04:32 PM

Here is the part number for the roof rack: Part number Trab5323 is available.

Curious
10-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Hey Jonathan that's the exact same part number for the rack I got. I have the invoice in front of me. That rack is the exact same one as shown on the yellow Treking. The bars on my rack are the aero bars as shown on the a yellow Treking. And the feet of my rack go about 8 inches past the feet of the rack. I did not get the rack shown on the white 500L. If anyone wants the rack shown on the white one and if they order that part number then I do not think they will get the rack they thought they were going to get.

FiatCares
10-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Hey Jonathan that's the exact same part number for the rack I got. I have the invoice in front of me. That rack is the exact same one as shown on the yellow Treking. The bars on my rack are the aero bars as shown on the a yellow Treking. And the feet of my rack go about 8 inches past the feet of the rack. I did not get the rack shown on the white 500L. If anyone wants the rack shown on the white one and if they order that part number then I do not think they will get the rack they thought they were going to get.

Curious:

I have sent of a request for clarification. I will get back with you shortly...

UomoNuovo
10-04-2013, 04:58 PM
And Jonathan - could you please find out if anyone at FIAT has ever placed any brand roof rack on the 500L with panoramic sunroof???

Judging from the designs I have thus far seen, the expanse of the glass roof would preclude any successful / traditional application of cross bar feet.

Thank you very much.

FiatCares
10-07-2013, 04:06 PM

The number will be the same. Only one rack for the 500L.

FiatCares
10-08-2013, 12:03 PM
And Jonathan - could you please find out if anyone at FIAT has ever placed any brand roof rack on the 500L with panoramic sunroof???

Judging from the designs I have thus far seen, the expanse of the glass roof would preclude any successful / traditional application of cross bar feet.

Thank you very much.

Im looking into this and awaiting a reply from an Accessories Manager. Hold tight.

FiatCares
10-08-2013, 12:15 PM

Thank you very much.

the supplier, Thule, highly recommends against it for liability reasons, saying it’s too risky. They've seen accessory providers in the aftermarket put them on cars with panoramic roofs, but again, its Thule’s position NOT to do it, and there isn’t currently an offering that we’re considering for the 500L with a Pano Roof.

CMcG
11-26-2013, 06:43 PM
I believe the fitted roof racks are available in Europe, shipping costs make them prohibitive, unless of course Fiat
would ship them to US dealers. I gave up a Land Rover with a hitch rack for my 500l and I desperately want some sort
of bike rack before next spring. I see that the hitches are becoming available but I think the roof rack will serve more functions.

Tweak
11-26-2013, 06:46 PM
I believe the fitted roof racks are available in Europe, shipping costs make them prohibitive, unless of course Fiat
would ship them to US dealers. I gave up a Land Rover with a hitch rack for my 500l and I desperately want some sort
of bike rack before next spring. I see that the hitches are becoming available but I think the roof rack will serve more functions.

Welcome to the forum.

CMcG
11-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Thank You, my manners are appalling, I should have introduced myself to the group.

Curious
11-26-2013, 08:39 PM
I suggest that you do what I did. Get a Curt brand hitch for your 500L and then plug in a hitch mount bike rack. There's pictures of my rack on this forum site. To me it's a lot easier to put bikes on a hitch mount rack than it would be to put them on the roof. And as Jonathan correctly pointed out you will not be able to get any roof rack on a car with the panoramic sunroof. So the hitch rack is really the only solution for your car if you have the panoramic sunroof.

CMcG
11-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Yes , I saw the pictures of your hitch and that's a good option, especially since I already own the bike carrier for a hitch. I like the idea of the roof rack but I've never had to put a bike up on one and it looks as though it could get dicey and lead to scratching of the top. I don't have the sunroof on the L , my wife has the 500c if we need to feel the wind in our faces. Yep, we've got two Fiats but that's fodder for an entire thread of it's own.

Tweak
11-26-2013, 11:17 PM
Thank You, my manners are appalling, I should have introduced myself to the group.

No worries, feel free if you like to post here and introduce yourself. http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/forumdisplay.php?12-Welcome!

Curious
11-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Yes , I saw the pictures of your hitch and that's a good option, especially since I already own the bike carrier for a hitch. I like the idea of the roof rack but I've never had to put a bike up on one and it looks as though it could get dicey and lead to scratching of the top. I don't have the sunroof on the L , my wife has the 500c if we need to feel the wind in our faces. Yep, we've got two Fiats but that's fodder for an entire thread of it's own.

Ok well you do now have options. Fiat/Mopar has not yet released their trailer hitch. But as you know Curt Manufacturing has one. You've seen pictures on this forum site of my bike rack plugged into a Curt brand hitch. You can do that with the hitch mount bike rack that you already have. Or you can get the Fiat/Mopar roof rack. I also have one of those racks on my 500L. It comes with their "Aero" bars. It's made by Thule and you can add all kinds of things to the Aero bars. You can add a bike adaptor or snow ski/snow boards, or kayaks/canoes or a Christmas tree. Those are things that will not go on a trailer hitch. So now you just have to decide which one or both that you want to go with. Oh and FYI there's pictures of my roof rack on this forum site too. They are shown on page 3 of this thread.

Barnmanbb
12-09-2013, 08:59 PM
the supplier, Thule, highly recommends against it for liability reasons, saying it’s too risky. They've seen accessory providers in the aftermarket put them on cars with panoramic roofs, but again, its Thule’s position NOT to do it, and there isn’t currently an offering that we’re considering for the 500L with a Pano Roof.

First, let me introduce myself since this is my first post. I traded in my 500 Sport for a 500L and love it. I got the power sunroof and inquired if there was a roof rack available for it. The salesman told me that he could order one and would give it to me at cost. This was three weeks ago. After driving the car home, I looked up the Fiat accessories on-line and saw that the rack was not for 500L's with sunroofs. I also found these links and began to be concerned that it would not work. I then checked the Thule website and found that they had a roof rack for my car as it specifically said "FIAT 500L , 5-dr 2014 - 2014 (2014 ), Includes Models with Glass Roof ."

Fast forward to today... I got a call from parts telling me that it was in and just picked it up. Spoke to the parts manager and asked him if it would fit my car and when he looked up the part #, it still said does not fit vehicles with sunroof. He told me to take it home and try it out and if it didn't fit I could bring it back.

Well, just got home and opened the box to see what was in it and believe it or not, the Roof Rack Gods were smiling on me as it has the same parts that the Thule fit guide said I needed! Namely: 1 Thule Rapid Traverse Foot Pack (480R); 1 Thule Fit Kit (1723); 1 Pair Thule Aeroblade Bars (ARB53) and; 1 Four Pack Thule Locks (544)...EXACTLY WHAT THULE SHOWS ON THE FIT SITE FOR MY CAR!!! SpinningSmileySpinningSmiley:boink: The difference being that I paid $270.40 while the Thule site shows it at $484.80. Since I've got to shovel snow, I will not be able to install it tonight but will send pics once I do so you can see what it looks like installed and with the sunroof opened. In the meantime, here's pics of the items that were in the big box from Fiat. Hope this helps.

Curious
12-09-2013, 09:22 PM
I hate to burst your bubble but this rack will not work on your car, almost 99.999 percent certain of this. I have the exact same rack on my 500L. Mine does not have a sunroof. What you will find out is that the rear bar sits well away from where your glass should be. However the feet of the front bar are meant to be positioned right where my black plastic strip is(goes the length of the car, front to rear on both sides). That's exactly where your glass is. So the front feet of the rack should be sitting on your glass, am fairly certain of this. Will be very happy for you if I am wrong. But from reading other posts in this forum site about this issue everyone says it can't be done. Thanks to show us all to be wrong.

Be careful to note the pads for the rack feet. There is a front pair and a rear pair and there's a left and a right for each. It's easy to mix them up, makes a big difference in getting em put on correctly. They look almost the same.

Post pictures of the installed rack. Crossing fingers for ya pal.

Tweak
12-10-2013, 12:48 AM
Congrats on the new L and welcome to the forum. Hope the rack fits!

markinmad
12-10-2013, 11:39 AM
The difference being that I paid $270.40 while the Thule site shows it at $484.80

You've got a good dealer. Mine would only offer MSRP, which at $339 is still WAY better than at any Thule dealer that I've found. moparonlineparts is running a $282 deal with free shipping at the moment though.

Barnmanbb
01-02-2014, 10:56 PM
I finally spoke to Thule engineering and have to admit that Curious, you were right. When installed correctly, the roof rack does not allow the sunroof to open. When I started to install it, I could manipulate the feet in such a manner that I was able to operate the sunroof, but the metal part of the foot pack did not fit tightly against the door and caused a large gap in the rubber seal when the door was shut that would allow moisture (i.e., rain) to come into the car. However, after speaking to Thule and installing it correctly, the door seats snugly against the foot pack and provides for a tight seal against both air and water. Once installed, I drove it on the expressway and noticed no whistling or air noise at all from the rack itself.

OK, so here is what happened…

After a few calls to Thule and finally speaking to a rep who willingly took the time to research my issues and concerns, he told me that he would raise them with the engineering department and would call me back. Lo and behold, the next day he called me and explained that the rack identified for the 500L was designed, tested and approved for release in late October 2013 for the Fiat 500L with and without a sunroof. He went on to say that their racks are never designed with the purpose to allow a sunroof to open but rather the integrity of the rack and weight it will carry on the roof it is designed for. Furthermore, the engineers told him that driving with a carrier on top and opening the sunroof would result in a change of airflow into the cabin and loud wind noise that after a few seconds, the driver would close the sunroof anyway (good point :blue:). He also said that not installing it as specified in the instructions (tightly against the doors) would also compromise the door seal that shuts against the foot.

So, I installed the rack per their instructions, drove it around to listen for any wind noise and was satisfied that this was mounted correctly. Bottom line, yes it does fit the 500L with a sunroof but don't expect to open it!

For me, I will mainly use to mount a carrier for skis and extra gear and so I will keep the rack. I've added pictures of it installed on my 500L so that this can put to rest the question of whether or not a sunroof will open with it installed.

Hoping all of you had a Merry Christmas and that 2014 will be made a little more enjoyable when driving our Fiats!!

Here are the Pics with explanations:

In trying to fit the rack so that the moonroof would open, caused the foot to sit away from the door and created a significant gap in the door seal: 9121 9122

Correctly fitted footpads showing partial seating on glass: 9123 9124 9125

Barnmanbb
01-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Finished install: 9126 :burnout:

Curious
01-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Glad to hear that you got it sorted out. You really should have tried to talk the Thule rep into designing a rack that would work with a 500L equipped with a sunroof. That would sell like hot cakes since no one else makes one.

SanDiegan
09-09-2014, 10:49 PM
I’ll see what I can find and if I’m allowed to give it out. Normally, the names of the vendor and/or suppliers are proprietary.

Please help! I am looking for a tow hitch in the area for my 500l. I have been fitting two to three bikes every weekend inside the car for months now!!!
Contacted the local dealership and they have no idea when it would be available. I would like to install an original Fiat part. Is that possible???? I am willing to drive to LA or Mexico there is a FIAT dealer in Tijuana only a 25 min drive from downtown San Diego. Thank you!

FiatCares
09-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Please help! I am looking for a tow hitch in the area for my 500l. I have been fitting two to three bikes every weekend inside the car for months now!!!
Contacted the local dealership and they have no idea when it would be available. I would like to install an original Fiat part. Is that possible???? I am willing to drive to LA or Mexico there is a FIAT dealer in Tijuana only a 25 min drive from downtown San Diego. Thank you!

Our engineering dept has approved the 500L receiver. Currently they have finance approval but we're still waiting on a date of when they will be available in depot

FiatCares
09-10-2014, 11:29 AM

Even though the trailer hitch is still in the approval stage, if your 500L does not have a sunroof, there is a roof rack available that may accommodate bicycles...

minibrings
10-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Well I am glad I chose not to listen to naysayers who insist it would not work on L with sunroof.. despite having no personal experiences installing racks on an L with a sunroof.

I bought the Thule rack, square bars.

The roof rack fit perfectly.. the feet are not on the glass. The trick was to ignore the measurements on the instructions and to have a buddy help you and to make sure you check the foot pads.. they are different thicknesses front and rear. You adjust same time and voila.. done.
My buddy owns a bike shop and has installed many roof racks...

Sunroof opens and closes. Thank you thule..

Tweak
10-13-2014, 08:19 PM
Well I am glad I chose not to listen to naysayers who insist it would not work on L with sunroof.. despite having no personal experiences installing racks on an L with a sunroof.

I bought the Thule rack, square bars.

The roof rack fit perfectly.. the feet are not on the glass. The trick was to ignore the measurements on the instructions and to have a buddy help you and to make sure you check the foot pads.. they are different thicknesses front and rear. You adjust same time and voila.. done.
My buddy owns a bike shop and has installed many roof racks...

Sunroof opens and closes. Thank you thule..

Great to hear (read). :)

h88ch
11-18-2014, 04:09 PM
...I bought the Thule rack, square bars...

Do you have the part number(s) for your rack?

minibrings
11-18-2014, 05:39 PM
Do you have the part number(s) for your rack?

Thule.com